• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Our Father

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Hammster, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Hammster

Hammster Tetelestai Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,544
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    That’s not biblical.

2. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,485
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No...it isnt.

3. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    Your original post concerned the Fatherhood of God.

And the scriptures do affirm His Fatherhood (of a type) of ALL.

Whether ALL are (in every sense) His children ... is a different question.

Paul seems to affirm that ALL can be considered ... the offspring of God. Acts 17:29

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Hammster

+13,544
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Paul is actually quoting a pagan author to make a point.

Context.

5. A_Thinker

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    Paul affirms the point ... In verse 29 ...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Hammster

+13,544
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Still quoting. He’s not going to contradict John 1:12.

7. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+652
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I believe Adam was created as a son, but was soon relegated to mere creaturehood when he disobeyed the Creator. Adam and Eve fell by hearing the word (seed) of the serpent. Therefore, all they produced was man's seed (biology). However, Cain took the seed of the serpent in his heart and produced children of the devil...think Nephilim. So, I believe that there are three seed's: Yah's, man's, and the serpent's. If we are born of His Word (seed), we are like Isaac, a child of promise. If we are the seed of man, we are like Ishmael. If we are the seed of the serpent, we are like the son of perdition.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+652
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    So, I would say He definitely is the Father of those born again through His Word.

He is father to man's seed only in the sense that He created the DNA that makes it possible...like Geppetto and Pinocchio

And He is not the father, in any sense, to the seed of the serpent.

*I'm not saying this definitively, these are just some thoughts.

9. A_Thinker

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    So .... you're saying that Paul based his argument on a point ... which he knew to be FALSE ?

Doesn't really sound like Paul.

I think that the scriptures have more nuance than you seem to think on this point ....

Fatherhood has many shades of meaning ...

father ... from the definition of father

noun

a male parent.
    a father-in-law, stepfather, or adoptive father.
    any male ancestor, especially the founder of a family or line; progenitor.

verb (used with object)

to beget.
    to be the creator, founder, or author of; originate.

verb (used without object)

to perform the tasks or duties of a male parent; act paternally:

10. Hammster

+13,544
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No.

19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.
    20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.
    21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.
    22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.
    23 I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings. - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

11. A_Thinker

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    There is a difference between adapting your message to your hearers ... and using a point you know to be FALSE to advance your argument ...

When I consider Paul's evangelism in Athens, I conclude that he found points of common TRUTH upon which to base his arguments ... for instance, his reference to the Athenian's shrine "to the unknown God" ...

For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. Acts 17:23

12. Hammster

+13,544
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So who was right? Paul, who you say says that God is Father of all? Or John, who says that believers are given the right to become children of God?

13. A_Thinker

+3,209
    Christian
    Married
    Both ...