• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Our Father

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Hammster, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+26,250
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    I am confused. How am I hijacking this thread?

2. devin553344

devin553344 Enlighten our lives dear Lord

+997
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Maybe it depends on the Father? If someones father is led by the Holy Spirit of God then yes perhaps Gods attributes might show from someones father.

3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Survives on Coffee and Whiskey

+5,211
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Great question. I'm preaching on this very idea this weekend. Jesus says "no one comes to the Father except through me." I believe this goes beyond saying that no one comes to God except through Christ. More specifically, Christ is saying that no one can come to know God as Father except through him.

As I attempt to break it down, I believe Father contains at least two other ideas - unconditional love and discipline. Fathers' love for their children is unconditional. It does not depend on the behavior, character, or condition of their children. But Fathers also responsibly discipline their children to help them mature.

Through Christ we may know God as one who both loves us unconditionally and disciplines us and makes us like himself. No other religion knows God in this way.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  4. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,212
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Genesis 32: 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.
    30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

5. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+14,707
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It's not just a title of respect. There are ways in which He is like a father, hence the metaphor.

6. Hammster

Hammster Narrow-minded Bible-thumper Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+14,022
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Is the Father’s love for His children unconditional?

7. devin553344

+997
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Yes.

8. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+5,945
    Pentecostal
    Single
    With some the question becomes, "How do they want me to answer their thread?" Anything but is considered a hijack.

9. Hammster

+14,022
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    How about, since the title and OP are about the Father, we stick with that discussion.

10. Tree of Life

+5,211
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Yes I believe so.

11. Hammster

+14,022
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Getting a little more theological, is He universally the Father? Or just the Father to believers?

12. Tree of Life

+5,211
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    In the sense that we've been discussing he is only the Father of those who are in the Son.

13. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,212
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Well, God did create the Universe.

However, when pagans speak of the "all father" it's not the Father of Jesus.

14. devin553344

+997
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I think this applies: Matthew 10:32

15. Ttalkkugjil

Ttalkkugjil Spiritual Director

+872
    Korea, Republic Of
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    God is our Father, who will not refrain from doing us good. He is our eager and faithful Teacher, who imparts to us the knowledge, wisdom and guidance which we need for the proper way of living.

16. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+693
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    The Father is God. You can take it from there.
    Blessings

17. Tone

Tone Star Fish Radiant Supporter

+1,052
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I call Him Abba Yahuah.

Because, of my adoption through Messiah!

12 והמקבלים אתו נתן עז למו להיות בנים לאלהים המאמינים בשמו

https://newchristianbiblestudy.org/...1-12/swedenborg_apocalypse-revealed-rogers_81

Do you think the angels call Him father?

18. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,997
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    I often compare God the Father to an earthly parent, with ourselves as small children by comparison. His ways are higher than our ways. What doesn't make sense to us, He understands completely. Children should obey their parents because they should trust that the parents know what's good for them. In the same way, we as God's children need to trust and obey Him even when we don't know why He wants it that way.

Then, just as children grow in understanding, and will one day see why the parent gave those instructions, as we grow in Christ we gradually begin to understand God's reasons too.

By analogy: Parent won't let Child have only cookies for supper. Wants Child to eat vegetables instead. Child doesn't understand this. "But I thought you loved me and wanted me to have good things. The cookies are good. Why do you want me to eat something yucky?" Child gradually grows to understand that the vegetables promote growth and health, which is the better "good," instead of just tasting pleasant. Similarly, we go through various troubles and struggles, and we don't understand why God lets those things happen. Why won't He fix it? But would He be doing us any favors if He just made everything easy all the time, and didn't let us grow and learn?

19. Hammster

+14,022
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Can those who are His children ever stop being His children?

20. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,997
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    As I understand it, no. Not if they truly are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List