Our Deaconess is so political but it is impossible to discuss this with her.

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a conservative and believe that government exists to support people in those situations when spouse, family and local community cannot help and that individuals are more truly helped by being nurtured within families, with strong and moral father and mother. Nothing here would be controversial to past generations of believers.
But I cannot put forward this argument because of the double marriage failure of the deacon. She may well regard manhood, husbanding and fatherhood as toxic, even pathologically. But I suppose we all have our favourite bits of the bible, but surely for Christians the family is still the bedrock of society and the means of creating successful and happy individuals.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a conservative and believe that government exists to support people in those situations when spouse, family and local community cannot help and that individuals are more truly helped by being nurtured within families, with strong and moral father and mother. Nothing here would be controversial to past generations of believers.
I think that most believers would still agree with that statement, or at least I pray they do.
But I cannot put forward this argument because of the double marriage failure of the deacon. She may well regard manhood, husbanding and fatherhood as toxic, even pathologically.
What is the context on why you would need to argue this with her? Do you know she regards these things as such or is that your perception based on her failed marriages? I am not trying to debate you, just trying to understand where the discussion is coming from and for.
But I suppose we all have our favourite bits of the bible, but surely for Christians the family is still the bedrock of society and the means of creating successful and happy individuals.
I agree. :)

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I cannot put forward this argument because of the double marriage failure of the deacon. She may well regard manhood, husbanding and fatherhood as toxic, even pathologically. But I suppose we all have our favourite bits of the bible, but surely for Christians the family is still the bedrock of society and the means of creating successful and happy individuals.
What is the substance and evidence of your belief about her?

What has she said to make you believe this?

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there, her sermons avoid the individual and the personal. No reference to the atonement or the need for repentance and faith in Christ. The appeal is almost always that Christians should get on board with the justice / environmental project.
Collective action, politics and petitions (with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, I presume) will lead us towards the kingdom.
I can understand why strong family life and the restoration of manhood doesn't figure.
And it has just so happened that we have a major issue affecting all local Methodists churches. All those with a leadership position have to undergo Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity training. Two preachers have resigned, citing the absence of God as Father in the issued instruction. Our deaconess picked that up specifically in a recent discussion with me about this.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there, her sermons avoid the individual and the personal. No reference to the atonement or the need for repentance and faith in Christ. The appeal is almost always that Christians should get on board with the justice / environmental project.
Collective action, politics and petitions (with the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, I presume) will lead us towards the kingdom.
I can understand why strong family life and the restoration of manhood doesn't figure.
And it has just so happened that we have a major issue affecting all local Methodists churches. All those with a leadership position have to undergo Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity training. Two preachers have resigned, citing the absence of God as Father in the issued instruction. Our deaconess picked that up specifically in a recent discussion with me about this.
DEI is a massive grift. I'm amazed at how quickly it has spread. I'm beginning to suspect there is an unclean spiritual impetus behind it.

As a black man, I'm certainly not opposed to diversity and inclusion...but equity has a "special" meaning that isn't the same thing as equality.

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This issue affects so many areas of church life. The only thing that matters to her is that "God is Love", so basically our new revamped bible study is based on Seasons of My Soul, all self-reflective, emotional, psychological and with NO atonement or even Christ. She admitted after the first meeting that she got into trouble for never talking about the Judgement. I said well, what about all those who we have loved to the END (eg.family) and who still dislike and reject God. The sin principle is deep within all of us and cannot be got rid of by giving the mantra that God is Love. It cost Christ A LOT in order for us to have access to His Father. Maybe she believes her approach will bring people into the church and they will "get faith" and start the "journey". I think there will never be the gratitude for forgiveness that leads to a real commitment.

Upvote 0