Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do not gaze at me because I am dark,
because the sun has looked upon me.
Song of Solomon 1:6

Here where some people say this bride is the church, then does it say or mean that in heaven we will be dark in appearance?

No. That is a reference to a "sun tan".

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But it's full of meaning, isn't it?

I agree with Bible scholar Michael Heiser, song of Solomon is mainly about romance and marriage, basically sex in a Godly context. People historically read a lot of stuff into that Christ and the Church etc. and there is some of that, but most of it is about romance and marriage, because that is a big part of life. But that sort of topic makes people nervous historically so they do everything possible to avoid it and want to make everything into a giant spiritual allegory, rather dealing with the obvious plain meaning of the text that an attractive Shulamite young lady had the hots for her fiancé/boyfriend who presumably was Solomon.

Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I agree with Bible scholar Michael Heiser, song of Solomon is mainly about romance and marriage, basically sex in a Godly context. People historically read a lot of stuff into that Christ and the Church etc. and there is some of that, but most of it is about romance and marriage, because that is a big part of life. But that sort of topic makes people nervous historically so they do everything possible to avoid it and want to make everything into a giant spiritual allegory, rather dealing with the obvious plain meaning of the text that an attractive Shulamite young lady had the hots for her fiancé/boyfriend who presumably was Solomon.
But that is an anecdote that Solomon wrote the book because the books in the bible got to be inspired by god, or the opposite would be an Apocrypha

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Here where some people say this bride is the church, then does it say or mean that in heaven we will be dark in appearance?

Just a doubt..

The Puritan Matthew Poole has a interesting comment on this giving it a figurative look:

"Because the sun hath looked upon me: my blackness is not essential, and inseparable, but chiefly caused by the scorching beams of the sun, i.e. of sore persecutions and tribulations, which by God’s permission have befallen me, which are represented by the sun, Mat 13:6,21."

"Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away." (Matt 13:5-6 ESV)

"As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away." (Matt 13:20-21 ESV)

The Song of Solomon is poetry so you must be careful not to be too literal in reading it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Just a doubt..

The reading of the Song of Songs as being an allegory of Christ and the Church is quite old, but this is understood as a deeper meaning than the literal meaning. The Song of Songs really is love poetry between two human lovers.

The meaning here is quite literal: They have been out in the sun, and so their skin got darker. The natural physiological response of the skin when being exposed to ultraviolet radiation, unless you are like me and only exist in two colors: extra pale and bright hot burning pink.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The reading of the Song of Songs as being an allegory of Christ and the Church is quite old, but this is understood as a deeper meaning than the literal meaning. The Song of Songs really is love poetry between two human lovers.

The meaning here is quite literal: They have been out in the sun, and so their skin got darker. The natural physiological response of the skin when being exposed to ultraviolet radiation, unless you are like me and only exist in two colors: extra pale and bright hot burning pink.

-CryptoLutheran

From Peter Pett:
"At first sight the song appears to be a simple love song between a young maiden and her beloved. But when we consider it in more depth there are indications that it goes deeper than that, for there are certain pointers which indicate that when he wrote it Solomon had in mind the relationship of God with His people and the acceptability of his forthcoming Temple in Jerusalem as the center of Israel’s worship. This suggestion is accentuated by the fact that God elsewhere speaks of His relationship with His people in similar terms.
For example in Jer 2:2 He says, ‘Go, and cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying, Thus says the LORD, I remember in regard to you the kindness of your youth, the love of your espousals, how you went after me in the wilderness, in a land which was not sown. Israel was holiness to the Lord, the firstfruits of His increase.’ Here we have the initial idea of Israel as a young maiden seeking her Lord as a lover in the wilderness with a view to marriage, which is the theme of Solomon’s song (chapters 1-2). It may well be that Jeremiah had the song in mind.
In Jer 31:3-4 God says to Israel, ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love, therefore with covenant love have I drawn you. Again I will build you up, and you will be built, Oh virgin daughter of Israel’. Here the LORD declares that Jerusalem as the daughter of Israel is like an unmarried young lady on whom He has set His love. We can compare with this the following words in Deu 7:6-8, ‘for you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD has chosen you to be a people for His own possession, out of all the peoples which are on the face of the earth. It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the LORD set His love on you and chose you, for you were the least of all peoples, but it is because the LORD loves you, and is keeping the oath to your fathers.
In Jer 31:32 the LORD says that His proposed new covenant will be, ‘not like the covenant which I made with your fathers when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant that they broke even though I was their husband.’ Here the covenant is described as a marriage covenant between the LORD and Israel, which was broken by the wife even though he was her husband, an idea which has some similarity to Son 5:3-5. We can compare with this the words of Isa 54:5, ‘for your Maker is your husband, -- for the LORD has called you like a wife forsaken and grieved in spirit, like a wife of youth when she is cast off.’ Here we have the scenario of the forsaken wife who is called back to Him, as in the song (chapter 5 onwards). Note also the words of Isa 61:10, ‘He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, and a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
In Hos 2:2 the LORD says of Israel, ‘Plead with your mother, plead, for she is not my wife, and I am not her husband’, which was immediately after He had said to them ‘you are not my people’, indicating that she had been but was so no longer. This thus indicates that He sees Israel as having been His wife, but is on the point of not seeing her in that way any more. (In Isa 50:1 He makes clear that He has not yet done so). Again in Son 2:14-15 He says, ‘therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her, and there I will give her her vineyards, and make the valley of Achor a door of hope, and there she will answer as in the days of her youth, as at the time when she came out of the land of Egypt.’ This is similar to Solomon’s allurement of the young lady which takes place in the wilderness (for after it she comes from the wilderness). Compare also Jer 2:19, ‘And I will betroth you to me for ever, I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy, I will betroth you to me in faithfulness, and you shall know the LORD.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But that is an anecdote that Solomon wrote the book because the books in the bible got to be inspired by god, or the opposite would be an Apocrypha

You need to take a serious look at the genres of the various books of the Bible and your theory about what "divine inspiration" actually is. There are lots of historic writings that chronicle Kings and other people, but those things were not dictated directly by God from what we can tell, e.g. no "thus sayeth the Lord". They are held as being true and inspired in a sense, but that is mostly concerning the fact they they are part of the received canon etc.

This is something that the New Testament touches on in passing. Their was not a formal established canon other than the Pentateuch of Moses aka "The Law" followed by everybody in Israel. Most people held that the Prophets were inspired and authoritative writings except for the Sadducees. And beyond that their were the "Writings" of the poetic books, historical writings etc. and interestingly enough the Book of Daniel also was in that category since he was not a formal prophet to the nation of Israel when he wrote it.

Anyway it's good to have a realistic and historically accurate view of this stuff, which incidentally fits the definition of Truth in the Greek, Alethia (Truth in fact, objective truth etc.).

Upvote 0

A.ModerateOne

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Florida
✟33,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I imagine jesus being like the sun, with blue eyes and then us: brown skin, brown eye and black hair. For the eternity.

I imagine that Jesus looked typically middle eastern, more like you in skin color than like me, being that I'm of anglo-saxon and north European ancestry. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums