FORT MYERS
✟7,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This weekend my husband and I received the news from our 28 year old daughter and her significant other that they were expecting a child. We are still trying to wrap our minds around this, as we are a very traditional family, and never in a million years thought this would happen to one of our three daughters. Family converged into town this weekend to celebrate the baptism of our first and only grandson, so the news was difficult as we were trying to focus on our daughter, her husband and their baby boy. I know its not right but I cannot move beyond feeling anything but shame and embarrassment for our family, for our daughter and her sisters. She has been with her boyfriend for nearly 7 years and the news we were expecting was a proposal announcement not this. I know how I feel when I hear the news of children being born out of wedlock and its crushing that we are confronted with this now. I am asking for prayers in the hope that we can move on and be supportive of our daughter and this new baby. Has anyone else dealt with this and have any advice. I'm dreading the task of having to tell friends, family etc. I know I shouldn't care about what others think or feel but I do. I'm do devastated and don't know what to do.... Please help.

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nobody these days will think anything bad about this situation. Just love your daughter as you always have and let her know you are there for support. I know it is far from ideal, but it's an opportunity for God to shine through you.

Upvote 0

RoseyViolet

Aug 7, 2018
Martinez
✟17,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
This weekend my husband and I received the news from our 28 year old daughter and her significant other that they were expecting a child. We are still trying to wrap our minds around this, as we are a very traditional family, and never in a million years thought this would happen to one of our three daughters. Family converged into town this weekend to celebrate the baptism of our first and only grandson, so the news was difficult as we were trying to focus on our daughter, her husband and their baby boy. I know its not right but I cannot move beyond feeling anything but shame and embarrassment for our family, for our daughter and her sisters. She has been with her boyfriend for nearly 7 years and the news we were expecting was a proposal announcement not this. I know how I feel when I hear the news of children being born out of wedlock and its crushing that we are confronted with this now. I am asking for prayers in the hope that we can move on and be supportive of our daughter and this new baby. Has anyone else dealt with this and have any advice. I'm dreading the task of having to tell friends, family etc. I know I shouldn't care about what others think or feel but I do. I'm do devastated and don't know what to do.... Please help.

Awe Mom, I feel your heart and pain. I know it's hard to take in when you were blindsided with new information while trying to celebrate your grandson's baptism. I think there's a kind of mourning that occurs when our kids make decisions that we feel are out of order and could potentially cause pain relationship wise into the future. First of all, congratulations on becoming a grandma again, irregardless of your daughter's decisions, this child is blessed and is a blessing from the Lord.
That being said, do the only thing you can do, which is love on them, pray for them and leave them in the capable hands of God the Father. I was just reading this scripture this morning, it's very appropriate in your situation, well, actually, ALL situations... Galatians 1:10 says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of human being, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." It's so true. Let the Lord's soothing balm fall over you and give your cares and concerns to him not allowing others responses to take hold, this child is blessed and highly favored, as are you!!

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0