Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK (deep breath) here's my deep dark shame that noone's known until now. I couldn't keep my wife.

Our marriage was born from a mistake. If anyone's ever read my testimony on the link - it would be the next chapter. We were both teenage virgins. I was involved heavily in evangelism and youth ministries and she was my girlfriend. One day she put the hard word on me (I know it seems kinda backwards). She said her ex-boyfriend wanted her back and was ready for sex. I was horrified that she'd tell me that, but also scared of losing her. Regardless, it was a seed that was planted in my head and grew from there. Months later i caved in and we had sex. Of course it was wrong. I was overcome with guilt the next day and we confessed our sin and asked for God's forgiveness.

It was too late though. Our first secret sexual sin became a very public one very soon... because she fell pregnant that first time. The church had a public and embarassing meeting about it and I stepped aside from ministry. 3 months later we got married and 3 months after that our first child was born.

In the meantime, my wife's issues with intimacy and rejection were festering away. 2 weeks into our marriage she wrote her ex-boyfriend a letter saying she'd wished whe'd experienced him sexually before getting stuck in a marriage. She confessed that to me and I forgave her.

2 months later I was travelling for work and she rang my boss with the intent of asking him to come over for sex. She chickened out and simply said he had a great smile. She confessed and I forgave her. This sort of thing continued for years. When the internet came along she became invested in online romances. When mobile phones came along she became invested in sms affairs.

Every time I'd find out I'd seek counselling and we'd work it through and I'd think it was fine and then it would flare up again. I was involved in ministry intermittently. When things looked like they were resolved I'd start preaching again and getting invitations to churches and youth groups around the country. When it would come back I'd step down. Noone ever knew why because I simply couldn't tell anyone about my wife's problems. I wanted to protect her and I hoped and prayed that if I loved her enough and for long enough, the marriage would survive.

I kept being asked to be an elder or even the "pastor" of some churches but I kept declining because of this matter... but I did go through periods where I'd preach or run youth groups and was even the frontman of a reasonably successful christian rock band (apologies to the non IMs ;))

There was a point some years ago where i was ready to give up on the marriage altogether. I went for a walk and though I hadn't said as much, I decided I wasn't going back. Along the way I started thinking about Hosea and my relationship with God. It occurred to me that my wife wasn't nearly as unfaithful to me as I am to God and yet... every time I come back to God and determined to remain faithful to Him, He accepted me back. How could I not then offer my wife forgiveness when she comes back to me? I decided that if she ever decided to leave me, I'd let her go... BUT if she was sincere in her apology and determined to work on remaining faithful I'd always take her back.

As it turns out, it may have been a foolish decision. I'm too emotionally raw to know right now. Truth is, she kept doing it again and again... until 3 years ago when it stopped. We had another child. I really thought it was all on the improve and that we were going from strength to strength. 5 months ago... from nowhere... she told me she needed to leave the family to work through some personal issues and decide if she could continue our relationship. No reasons ever came out. It was just her inner turmoil. I stepped aside from preaching... again and a nice church family took my wife in while we started working through counselling and I kept the kids at home.

2 months ago she decided to come back... and then changed her mind. 1 month ago she decided to come back for weekends only and see how it goes. The first weekend was beautiful. THEN we didn't hear from her for a week. The following weekend she was totally cold to us. The next weekend she decided not to come back at all. Last weekend, she told me there was no longer a chance at reconciliation.

The next day she informed me and the kids that her and the husband of the lovely church family (a deacon 15 years her senior) had been having an affair since that first weekend. The next day she came home and broke down and begged me to take her back. I decided to take her away for a couple of days away from the kids to see if there was even a chance. It was beautiful... and she was talking about our future and what we'd do next etc... The first day we came back, the other man rang her and asked her to move away with him. She said she was too confused and couldn't choose. This time I made the choice for her. I told her that we could get a divorce in 20 days and if she wasn't my wife, she'd be my ex-wife on that day. The ultimatum drove her back to him and now 2 families are destroyed and the whole church is reeling.

I probably made heaps of mistakes in the way I dealt with it from the first to the last. I don't know and it's not the thing that really matters now. The truth is there are people hurting everywhere. Please pray for my children as no matter how much I reassure them, they feel like their mother abandoned them. Please pray for the other family that are devastated by this betrayal. Please pray for my church as they sort through the wreckage. Please pray for my (estranged) wife that she'll come back to God in a time of chaos. Please also pray for me, that I might have the strength to continue to be the father my children need, the wisdom to act appropriately and the humility to work through this.

Thanks. I know this is a lot more personal than we tend to get here, but I needed to get it out and we all really need your prayers.

Peace

Reactions: Orthosdoxa

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
May the Lord of Hosts grant you wisdom to handle every aspect of this situation. May He grant you strength to endure to the end. Any may He also grant you grace to accept whatever the answer might be.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but may I offer a bit that God has been showing me? Pray not that things would be fixed, or that this or that, but rather pray for the healing that is needed and the purpose for this whole thing. There is so much God wants to do in and through you that it ooozes from your post. But how and what God wants to do in and through you in this situation seems to still allude you.

May the King of King's reveal to you His plan that you might have the peace to carry it out that He might recieve the glory and honor through a life of servanthood.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry to hear that, Splayd. Be strong for those kids.

I don't believe God wants divorce, but there are circumstances when remaining in the marriage would be detrimental, even abusive, to one partner or to the kids. It sounds like you're in one of those cases. Kicking her out was the best thing to do - probably the only way to restore some sense of permanency to your family.

God bless you, and keep you.

Upvote 0

cremi

Chief Executive Domestic Education Diva
Nov 3, 2005
Texas
✟9,070.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Splayd,

I wrote you a long reply, but lost the entire thing. Maybe God was telling me to keep my mouth shut!;)

Anyway, I will write more later, but wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your family.

Peace be with you today.

Cremi

Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think your wife will continue this behavior of coming/going with you until you get to the root of the problem or refuse to continue on this path. I think perhaps she may have possibly been abused earlier to your first sexual interaction. Her making you choose tells me she may have been manipulating you from the start and may still be doing so even till this day. I cannot know farther nor am I a trained at this but I just see something wrong.
People that continue in abusive cycles over and over... are usually doing that because they were abused themselves.

I could be wrong but you haven't said why she keeps running away to other men so until that reason is solved.... it will continue to happen or you will have to refuse to be a part of the cycle for good.
prayer may help but most likely one or both of you needs to change and without God revealing to you two what needs to change you probably are not going to be able to get far. On occasion God heals people of things behind this... but I don't think it is very common to happen, usually once someone realizes they are hurt then the can allow God to heal them of it..... or surrender it to him, otherwise they may feel it is normal and not be able to let go.
My prayers your way for wisdom in this situation.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much everyone for your prayers. It's such an incredibly painful time for all of us.

Sophrosyne - I really don't know what drives her to it, though I have my own theories. She can't remember her childhood, though there are things about it I've learnt. Her mum was a fruitloop. She used to wrap her in a blanket and throw her in the cupboard when she was crying as a baby. At the time i met her (15 y.o), she was never allowed to leave the house except to go too and from school. She lived out of town and never saw anyone ever including her mother and step-dad. They worked long hours and ate seperately.

Earlier in her life, her mother cheated on her father several times before leaving him a blubbering mess. He couldn't cope and disappeared from my wife's life when she was about 10. When my wife reached 21, we tracked him down together. 12 months later he killed himself. In a lot of ways I think my wife is a product of her upbringing. She learnt that you can't trust people, that you can't trust reality, that letting people in lets them hurt you. She was scared of rejection to the point that she simply wouldn't let me in. At the same time though, she had an incredible need to be loved. She'd try to meet that need in fantasy. Her affairs weren't physical for the most part. As soon as they started to become a reality, she'd shut them out too. She wanted to be persued, affirmed etc... but didn't want to let anyone get close enough to hurt her.

That's why i think she came back to me once this current situation reached the daylight. As much as she's scared of even letting me in, her experiences tell her I'm the safest place she has. I think what's fuelled this whole thing is that it's become so big and so shameful so quickly that they feel like they have isolated themselves from everyone and everything. That's pushing them together. On the fantasy front, the promise of a new life far away still has her. There's also the fact that she saw her mother break up 2 families with an older married man around the same time in their relationship. It probably won't be until the fantasy becomes a reality that she comes too again, but I think it will be too late then.

Thing is - as much as I love her and try to get her help to work through this, she simply can't choose to love or be loved. My daughter told me today that I keep defending my wife and saying "She really does love you." and she tries to believe me... BUT she hasn't heard it from her so how can she.

I simply can't let my kids grow up with the same lessons from life. I can't let them learn the same lessons. They need some stability now and I need to invest my time and energy in making sure they're fine. Thankfully they have strong relationships with the Lord and recognise the folly of their mother's ways... but these are emotional lessons not intellectual ones.

Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
she is identifying with her mother for sure... the same force that influenced her mother is working on her too. I think you need to get someone to teach your wife her worth is not placed in man's hands but God's.... and her worth is that of God himself as he gave up his life for her on the cross.... a value that is infinate.... beyond measure so that she may know his love and that should be what to identify with. at young ages we learn by mimicking others around us.... and our ideas of right wrong love hate and treatment of others starts there. that is the foundation that is built upon. If it is wrong it has to be torn down and a new foundation built in its place otherwise what sits upon it will lean the same was as before. I believe her problem is both psychological and spiritual.... she needs to understand things truly not just saying in mind but in heart too.... and she needs help letting go of the lies she is hearing about herself in the spirit, those voices telling her wrong things have to go... thoughts leading her to wander around looking for herself have to be pointed back to God instead of the next man she comes about that listens.
I truly wish I could help more but I am hesitant to go farther because things sometimes have to be examined completely to know what is seriously wrong and what is a minor problem... it would probably take someone there with time to slowly unwind the tangled threads of your wifes life and sort it all out so a new tapestry can be beautifully woven where it should be....... in her heart.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree sophrosyne and I wish I had her ear but I don't. Truth is - she really can't even trust God. She's had prayer counselling and standard counselling etc... etc... She always shuts down and refuses to cooperate with the process, even though she acknowledges the problems. They're simply too comfortable for her.

A few weeks ago she explained that she has a "fragile child" inside and an "overprotective parent" that won't let anyone near her. She knows the overprotective parent is stopping the child from being happy... but she trusts her more than anyone else because she's at least done a great job of keeping her safe.

I asked her a few days ago how her walk with God has been during the seperation. She explained that she knows God's there. She just doesn't see the point in having anything to do with Him. It's all just a mess.

I'm stuck though. I can't stop thinking of this passage tonight:

Mat 19:3-9 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason."
"Haven’t you read", he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female’, and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
"Why then", they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"
Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Now - from a purely legal standpoint it might be said that it lets me divorce my wife. her actions and attitude can be said to amount to marital unfaithfulness. If I wanted an "out" it's there... BUT it also says that God united us as one. How can I think for a moment that it's truly feasible to try and undo that? Surely we can't and what am I telling my children if I try?

The thing is it's not my choice anyway. She left me. So what do I do? Do I persue her? I think so to a point. Hosea did. God does with us. I also think there has to come a time to let go. The disciples dusted their feet where they weren't welcome and God allows some to be surrendered to their sin.

Even if she chooses to come back of her own accord and asks my forgiveness again do I continue to forgive and expose myself to this for another 16 years? God has with me. He's never let me go, though there were times I've tried to walk away. Mind you the time comes for us all where the line is drawn in the sand. Perhaps the divorce deadline is a line for us.

It's just hard and I don't know what to do. Mind you - I'm not sure there is anything I can do anyway. I just have to try to let go and trust in God. This isn't a situation I can solve. Only He can. I just hope I stay open to His voice where there's a part I need to play.

Peace

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is a very public pouring out of my soul. Some might consider it inappropriate or self-indulgent. I apologise if I've offended anyone.

There's just so much at stake and exploring this here is helping me work through it, especially if you're covering me and my family in prayer during this time.

Peace

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
only one prayer I can think of that I use often.... ask God to send her a friend that can minister to her someone she will trust that is wise enough to see the truth.
As for your relationship with her, you will have to pray on that. I do not advocate divorce but I also do not advocate people living in marriages where one it allowed to continually sin against the other either. It may be you have to move on in life without her and if she decides to change you can start all over and date the new her then but taking her back is like agreeing she can sin against you all over and be forgiven putting her in an endless cycle of sin with you the target.... nope.. that is not good as she has shown she cannot be trusted to stop.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise God!

It mightn't seem like much but I found peace in the situation today. I realised that perhaps the biggest problem in my life, apart from the marriage itself, has been my inability to truly hand this problem over to God. I kept trying to do it all myself. I kept it quiet and I tried to come up with answers and solutions that involved me doing everything. Along the way I developed problems of my own with the way I tried to cope with the repeated pain on my own.

Today I let it go in the most real way I ever have. I recognised my pride in hanging on to this and I surrendered it all. I don't know if it's too late for my marriage or not, but I know that that alone is a good thing. The healing begins now. Where, when or how it looks when it ends I don't know, but I know God and I know that I can let Him carry me when it's beyond my control and I can learn to listen and submit when there's something I can do. Either way it's all His.

Peace

Reactions: SoulFly51
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Freedom&Light

and I will give you rest.
Jul 4, 2004
Longview, TX
✟12,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Splayd, has your wife ever been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder? Obviously, no one can diagnose anyone over the internet, but what you've said has been descriptions of the signs to look for. And the only thing, other than our Heavenly Father, of course, that can begin to heal it is therapy.

Many prayers for you and your family.:pray: :pray: :prayer: :prayer:

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for that freedom and light. I did some research on that today and it sounds right. I've encouraged her to go and get checked out, but she's saying she won't. I've no influence at all with her at the moment. Pray that she'll come around. Even if it is too late for this marriage she deserves to get help if it's needed. For that matter, the kids deserve her to be healthier too.

Peace

Upvote 0

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Praise God!

It mightn't seem like much but I found peace in the situation today. I realised that perhaps the biggest problem in my life, apart from the marriage itself, has been my inability to truly hand this problem over to God. I kept trying to do it all myself. I kept it quiet and I tried to come up with answers and solutions that involved me doing everything. Along the way I developed problems of my own with the way I tried to cope with the repeated pain on my own.

Today I let it go in the most real way I ever have. I recognised my pride in hanging on to this and I surrendered it all. I don't know if it's too late for my marriage or not, but I know that that alone is a good thing. The healing begins now. Where, when or how it looks when it ends I don't know, but I know God and I know that I can let Him carry me when it's beyond my control and I can learn to listen and submit when there's something I can do. Either way it's all His.

Peace

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going away for a few days with work and my wife is staying at home with the kids for the first time in 5 months whille I'm away. Please pray for covering for the kids and that this will be a positive thing for them. My hope is it will be a time of healing for everyone.

Upvote 0