OT: What was the most useful baby item you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear Moms and Dads,

If you remember, I'm expecting in January/February! Not only that, but there are a BUNCH of pregnant women at church, so there's gifts to be given.
What were the most useful items for a newborn you either received as a gift or couldn't live without once the baby was there?

Thanks!
choirfiend

Reactions: MariaRegina

rainbowbright

Veteran
Sep 4, 2005
exactly opposite of where I'd rather be
✟17,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you're expecting?????!!!!! Congrats, I guess I missed that. I would say that my most useful gifs were, newborn diapers, baby bathtubs, baby sling and carrier, scrapbooks or handprint kits, nursing and feeding supplies. Those are the ones I can think of not being able to live without (don't forget I've done this five times so my list is rather huge)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm, diapers and spit cloths I guess. lol I personally thought passies (pacifiers) were the most useful for the majority of the time, besides the main basics of diapers, clothes, food/bottles. lol

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
you're expecting?????!!!!! Congrats, I guess I missed that. I would say that my most useful gifs were, newborn diapers, baby bathtubs, baby sling and carrier, scrapbooks or handprint kits, nursing and feeding supplies. Those are the ones I can think of not being able to live without (don't forget I've done this five times so my list is rather huge)

Yes, I posted it in the Taverna, but that was all. 15 weeks in!

Thanks for the responses so far!

PS. I plan on using a Moby wrap...They look so versatile and they're supposed to be GREAT for bad backs, which I have. One of the new dads at church has a disabling nerve disorder where it is painful for him to hold up ANYTHING, and he loves the wrap for taking the stress off his arms and allowing him to hold his daughter.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had a number of lengths of cotton cloth, ~2 yards, which I used for different purposes. I used them to "back" the baby (tying on my back) or to make a sling. I would drape them over the carriage to sheild the baby from sunlight during a nap. I put them down on surfaces when I would change his diaper or put him down to play. I would use them to drape over my body while I was nursing. All sorts of things. Mine were African fabric, so they also added color and patterns to challenge his vision.

I also used a lot of washcloths, since I did not use baby wipes. I kept clean washcloths in a plastic baggie and dampened them with water. I carried another baggie for the soiled ones. I also used washcloths for other types of wiping up. They were really handy.

I was a teenager when I had my son and broke as far as personal finances, so I did alot of things on the cheap. It was a terrific experience though. I made do without a lot of things magazines and websites tell you that you need. Having a baby has become a marketing bonanza in the US.

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had a number of lengths of cotton cloth, ~2 yards, which I used for different purposes. I used them to "back" the baby (tying on my back) or to make a sling. I would drape them over the carriage to sheild the baby from sunlight during a nap. I put them down on surfaces when I would change his diaper or put him down to play. I would use them to drape over my body while I was nursing. All sorts of things. Mine were African fabric, so they also added color and patterns to challenge his vision.

I also used a lot of washcloths, since I did not use baby wipes. I kept clean washcloths in a plastic baggie and dampened them with water. I carried another baggie for the soiled ones. I also used washclothes for other types of wiping up. They were really handy.

I was a teenager when I had my son and broke as far as personal finances, so I did alot of things on the cheap. It was a terrific experience though. I made do without a lot of things magazines and websites tell you that you need. Having a baby has become a marketing bonanza in the US.

M.

Great idea, Monica.

Do you have any links for these wraps?

There are two women from Nigeria at my university, and both wear African wraps (made in India) to match their clothes and give them protection from the air conditioning. Both wear beautiful wraps mostly in geometric patterns.

I can buy them very inexpensively whenever we have a vendor fair at the university. They are usually held during the first week of the semester.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One word of caution about the moby wrap. It's great for newborns, but won't be as helpful when the baby starts to get a little heavier, probably past the 6 month mark (or so), because they are made out of very stretchy fabric. You just lose the support.

I have always used a Didymos wrap, which works the exactly same way as a moby, but is not stretchy material. Instead it is woven. The "baby" is almost 3 and over 30 lbs now, and I just spent several hours carrying him in the wrap/sling last night. I'm a very small person as well, 5'2", 100 lbs. So, I can't speak more highly of the didymos wraps. I think any woven wrap would be just as good, though.

For newborns lots of receiving blankets to keep them swaddled, I also was a big fan of gowns for the baby because they make changing him so easy and usually they come with the sleeves that fold over their hands to keep them from scratching themselves to death.

We also found the boppy pretty helpful for all sorts of situations, especially nursing and napping but also for things like tummy time etc. when the baby got a bit older.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I had two friends with babies who hated the slings/wraps, so they got no use out of them.
No baby here, but all I hear is diapers, diapers, diapers... we usually just had a diaper party for the moms to be at our squadron. And everyone swears by a Boppy and a good swing. I tended to give people gift cards to either Target or Babies R Us or something else because that way they can get what they need.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm lucky! We're getting a swing, an infant car seat, and a jumperoo (for later) from the BIL. I've also heard that a bouncy Boppy seat (not the pillow, but the little papasan-looking chair,) is REALLY useful while they're little for getting to put them down while you shower, for example.

I've also heard the Moby won't last forever, or at least, not to the 35lbs they say it can handle. But by then, I might be interested in something more structured, or something like a Mei-Tai. And we're definitely intending to have more than one kid, so I could get another 6mo's use out of it with a later baby.

Upvote 0

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do really love the Mei Tai style slings as well, and they are easy to make yourself too. Or the Ergo (though it's a bit expensive for what it is).

Any chair, swing, etc. that the baby likes will be great for showers too. I've never used one, but I hear that they sell slings specifically designed for water use. I assume you could make one as well by choosing appropriate fabric. I am not convinced a newborn would enjoy a shower, but some people swear by this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 26, 2008
✟15,404.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Without a doubt my sling carrier! I never got the knack of it with my first child, but when child #2 came along, I used it constantly. It seems awkward to use at first, but once you get used to it you will love having your hands free. I definitely suggest getting (or making if you are that talented, I wouldn't trust my sewing to make something which would be carrying my baby, lol) one that will still be useful as your child grows. I used my sling until babies #2 and #3 were toddlers (holding them on my hip). Also wonderful for discreet nursing!

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did the same thing with the wraps. I just couldn't bring myself to by some expensive sling. I simply took a long cut of fabric that I had in my stash and used it. No sewing required.... just wrap and tie in a knot.

Yeah, they are great :)

For newborns lots of receiving blankets to keep them swaddled, I also was a big fan of gowns for the baby because they make changing him so easy and usually they come with the sleeves that fold over their hands to keep them from scratching themselves to death.

Yes! I loved those gowns with the mittens.

Also, a few hats are good to have. I would put a knit cap on after bathing him and toweling off to maintain his body temperature. And hats for the weather too: a sun hat and a bonnet for cold weather.

I am not convinced a newborn would enjoy a shower, but some people swear by this.

When he was a newborn, I would just sponge bathe him. When he got older, I or his dad would take him in the shower and just hold on tight :) I had a tub, but I really didn't get much use out of it. My friend has 7 kids and she bathes the babies in the kitchen sink like our grandparents probably did.

M.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Baby bathing

I would have been afraid of a slip and fall if I had tried to shower with my son as an infant. I used a plastic baby bath. It worked wonderfully.

My husband took my son into the shower with him when he was almost three, and my son asked too many embarrassing questions. :) That was the last time. My son hated the experience anyway.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
All the best suggestions were already posted. I just broke in to give you a hug, Choirfiend!

attachment.php

Congrats!!!

Attachments

• smiley_hug.gif
    smiley_hug.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

angrylittlefisherman

the worst of sinners
Jun 22, 2008
occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Something my wife and I did at for our baby shower is on the invites or by word of mouth we said "if you bring diapers you will be entered into a drawing for a prize." Then we bought some pretty trinket and a gift card and we did not have to buy diapers for like two months.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.