OT: The President has signed into law the Protection of Monsanto

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In C.S. Lewis' That Hideous Strength, not all the people who worked for N.I.C.E. were evil, but the top people were. The same applies to NICE Monsanto. Many Monsanto employees demanded organic food in Monsanto's cafeteria, so Monsanto did allow some organic foods to be available for sale. Hey, profits matter!
Ultimately, it'll always come down to the people in a system to change it from the inside out - just as it has been historically with many other systems that used to be extensively corrupt and had to experience internal damages.....even though others at the top didn't like having to bend the knee to it.

As said before, at some point - if done - I have no doubt that a host of labor strikes by workers in Monsanto will force those from the Top Down to have to adapt - as there's a danger in thinking corporations are people when forgetting that people make up your labor force...and still, if they're willing to suffer for a time, can harm the corporation in the end. If people only listen to money, there are some options people can use to their advantage to work the system BOTH ways. THere has already been a significnat rise in worker-owned corporations competing with other corporations who were used to thinking "We only negotiate with other corporations" and got shocked to see people rising up to speak their language..and challenge them (more shared here and in #92 /#599 ).

Just as it sometimes takes bullies to deal with bullies and soldiers to handle soldiers - it may be the case that it'll take corporations to deal with corporations...

And on some things, there'll always be the reality of compromises at some point....at least those everyone can live with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
does anything ever really change though? Honestly? It's like the Who song lyric: come meet the new boss, same as the old boss....Rus would be happy to know I've pretty much come into his way of thinking with politics....an oligarchy making us THINK we have a say...in the end, whatever the 'cause' is, it may be legit in the beginning, but go right back to the oligarchs in the end....

Gxg (G²);62764926 said:
Ultimately, it'll always come down to the people in a system to change it from the inside out - just as it has been historically with many other systems that used to be extensively corrupt and had to experience internal damages.....even though others at the top didn't like having to bend the knee to it.

As said before, at some point - if done - I have no doubt that a host of labor strikes by workers in Monsanto will force those from the Top Down to have to adapt - as there's a danger in thinking corporations are people when forgetting that people make up your labor force...and still, if they're willing to suffer for a time, can harm the corporation in the end. If people only listen to money, there are some options people can use to their advantage to work the system BOTH ways. THere has already been a significnat rise in worker-owned corporations competing with other corporations who were used to thinking "We only negotiate with other corporations" and got shocked to see people rising up to speak their language..and challenge them (more shared here and in #92 /#599 ).

Just as it sometimes takes bullies to deal with bullies and soldiers to handle soldiers - it may be the case that it'll take corporations to deal with corporations...

And on some things, there'll always be the reality of compromises at some point....at least those everyone can live with.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
does anything ever really change though? Honestly? It's like the Who song lyric: come meet the new boss, same as the old boss....Rus would be happy to know I've pretty much come into his way of thinking with politics....an oligarchy making us THINK we have a say...in the end, whatever the 'cause' is, it may be legit in the beginning, but go right back to the oligarchs in the end....
I think that there's the reality of how even oligarchs have limits (and supporting that ideology of others behind the scenes ruling things and being very cynical myself - #92 , #67 /#12 - I can relate to you on what you say). The thing that seems to get folks from the top down the MOST upset is when they see others still managing to survive not being dependent on them - and thus, having to concede. Most, when seeing concessions, stop there and forget that there will always be threats and attacks.

When seeing the ways the NAACP evolved, stood vailantly against oppression and led to SIGNIFICANT changes that we benefit from today (as others knew they could only oppress blacks for so long before stuff blew up and others got hostile)....be it with the Sanitation Strikes or the Bus/Freedom Rides and other things...I have to give props to others for not giving up. The same thing goes for the Women's SUfferage Rights, the Campaings for Labor Laws/outlawing Child Slavery in the U.S........and the same thing with ending the Trans-Atlantic SLAVE trade (although I will admit that one seemed to be more so a matter of being forced to closed due to economics as a big factor).

Even though movements can make a big deal, they can be hijacked when they forget their original purpose and end up selling out - and with seeing where the NAACP is today, as well as many other movements, I always have to keep it in mind.

For every public movement, you have to plan for seeing at some point where attempts to domesticate it will occur - and the never ending chess battle to control information/education and your mind will always continue. They can never control EVERY aspect of what others think - and thus, the battle is always over who controls your voice....or trying to influence others to not listen to it when it's raised. One of the most inspiring examples for me will always be George Washington Carver (more shared here in #1, #20 and #45 ) - an AMAZING believer who did much to literally revolutionize the world via agriculture..with very little materials to work with many times and a system that was designed to be against him/other blacks....in regards to Jim Crow and Slavery. He did what he could with what the Lord gave him to promote the Kingdom of God - and show the miraculous...and others were amazed just as they are today with what he did despite the system. For a good read on the issue, one can go to The Green Vision of Henry Ford and George Washington Carver: Two ... - Page 203

Oligarches do not - and will not - ever control me in full. Nor can they do so to you - and they know that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With caucasian Americans like me quickly becoming the minority group in the U.S. (we already are minorities in California), maybe we can start our own NAACP and force politicans to come to our annual convention and see if they pass our litmus minority test to become president! ^_^:p

Gxg (G²);62765403 said:
I think that there's the reality of how even oligarchs have limits (and supporting that ideology of others behind the scenes ruling things and being very cynical myself, I can relate to you on what you say). The thing that seems to get folks from the top down the MOST upset is when they see others still managing to survive not being dependent on them - and thus, having to concede. Most, when seeing concessions, stop there and forget that there will always be threats and attacks.

When seeing the ways the NAACP evolved, stood vailantly against oppression and led to SIGNIFICANT changes that we benefit from today (as others knew they could only oppress blacks for so long before stuff blew up and others got hostile)....be it with the Sanitation Strikes or the Bus/Freedom Rides and other things...I have to give props to others for not giving up. The same thing goes for the Women's SUfferage Rights, the Campaings for Labor Laws/outlawing Child Slavery in the U.S........and the same thing with ending the Trans-Atlantic SLAVE trade (although I will admit that one seemed to be more so a matter of being forced to closed due to economics as a big factor).

Even though movements can make a big deal, they can be hijacked when they forget their original purpose and end up selling out - and with seeing where the NAACP is today, as well as many other movements, I always have to keep it in mind.

For every public movement, you have to plan for seeing at some point where attempts to domesticate it will occur - and the never ending chess battle to control information/education and your mind will always continue. They can never control EVERY aspect of what others think - and thus, the battle is always over who controls your voice....or trying to influence others to not listen to it when it's raised. One of the most inspiring examples for me will always be George Washington Carver - an AMAZING believer who did much to literally revolutionize the world via agriculture..with very little materials to work with many times and a system that was designed to be against him/other blacks. He did what he could with what the Lord gave him to promote the Kingdom of God - and show the miraculous...and others were amazed just as they are today with what he did despite the system. For a good read on the issue, one can go to The Green Vision of Henry Ford and George Washington Carver: Two ... - Page 203

Oligarches do not - and will not - ever control me in full. Nor can they do so to you - and they know that.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
With caucasian Americans like me quickly becoming the minority group in the U.S. (we already are minorities in California), maybe we can start our own NAACP and force politicans to come to our annual convention and see if they pass our litmus minority test to become president! ^_^:p
Was just talking with someone about the issue of Caucasian Americans becoming a minority quick - in some ways feeling a bit like poetic justice since more of the original minority groups are rising in representation/influence and more discussion on the history of innovation/successes by minorities is being seen (including in times of great struggle)....so a lot of things are becoming equal very quick.

A lot of concepts like "white vs black" are quickly changing in light of others becoming aware of how artifical those terms really were - and that never was it the case that all whites were universal in their experience or all blacks universal in their struggle/sentiments. In a age of ethnic multiculturalism/biracial understanding, some things just aren't the same anymore..

Ultimately, you'll be fine :cool: It's not as if there were not times other Caucasians were in the same positions as other Blacks/Hispanics and Asians (for many of them - specifically those impoverished - were treated the same due to social status being lower-class ) - and truthfully, I don't forsee any time soon where Whites are gonna lose all power. It took a DOMINANT majority of whites to get the president elected in the first place (more shared in #34 /#137 ) - and if it gets to the point where others feel persecuted, it'll simply be the Underground RAILroad in reverse :)^_^

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);62764562 said:
Coporatism at its best - and not even hidden. Love the diagram as it brings the issue home...

What you said reminded of what happened years back when many huge food conglomerates joined Monsanto's gang in an effort to defeat Prop 37 in California on November 6, 2012. ..with Proposition 37 being a ballot initiative that requires genetically engineered foods to be labeled as such, and would prevent deceptive marketing tactics of labeling GMO foods as “natural.”

What was HIGHLY ironic was that most of the companies lobbying against Prop 37 also had a stake in the organic industry...something truly telling in the global food revolution since these companies export their products across the world and can make whatever they want ..even though the public has the right to know if there is GMOs in the food they buy.

It's almost ironic, til you investigate; it's not about choice (or even ethics, or any other idea or idea); it's about market share. (Throw your lot in any potentially profitable basket - and labeling nonGMO is going to be harder as pollen seep continues.)

In order to know what companies and organic brands to potentially black list on your shopping list, one can go here/see the complete chart of companies that contributed major dollars to defeat Prop 37 and also own organic brands:

• - General Mills owns organic or "natural" brands including Cascadian Farm, Larabar and Muir Glen.
  • - Pepsi owns Naked Juice.
  • - Nestle owns Tribe Mediterranean Food.
  • - Cocacola owns Odwalla.
  • - Kellogg owns Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Natural Touch, Kashi and Wholesome & Hearty.
  • - Hershey Company owns Dagoba Organic Chocolate.
  • - Dean Foods Co. owns Silk, White Wave, Alta Dena, and Horizon, which owns the Organic Cow of Vermont.
It's been hard to keep up with the acquisitions - over the years the list keeps growing (and it's pretty sad). Some companies weren't so great to start with (like Horizon, which was/is basically factory farming ...).

The same thing happened in publishing (following the advent of mega-booksellers). Independent and Small Press publishing still hasn't recovered. Same MO; market share and margin trumps value ...it's tragic.

More could be said...but suffice to say, there is an entire list of companies fighting to keep us in the dark and the contributions they're making to lobby against Prop 37 - some which were shocking to say the least. It reminded me of a huge Shell Game where the goal is to keep you distracted/guessing as long as possible via acting through sleight of hand...playing on the fact that you want to find where the mark is....and having you think it's in one place while manuevering behind the scenes occurs...and for many organic farmers, it's sad when they think Monsanto is the goal and yet they have no idea that other companies they may support are also in bed with them.
And part of the problem is that it can be so time consuming to follow this and evaluate products.

Honestly, that's one thing I appreciate about living in PA - many small farmers (carried in our local "health food store", which also sells their own produce in season and local raw milk, etc.).

And not a surprise seeing how many already are paid SUBSTANTIALLY well...and thus, you gotta look out for whoever will make sure you get paid:
Monsanto Company = $4,208,000
DuPont Pioneer = $2,441,500
PepsiCo Inc. = $1,716,300
BASF Plant Science = $1,642,300
Bayer CropScience = $1,618,400
E.I. Dupont De Nemours & Co. = $1,273,600
Dow Agrosciences LLC = $1,184,800
Nestle USA = $1,169,400
Coca-Cola North America = $1,164,400
ConAgra Foods = $1,076,700
Syngenta Corporation = $821,300
Kellogg Co. = $632,500
Council for Biotechnology Information = $625,000
General Mills Inc. = $519,401
Hershey Company = $395,100
J.M. Smucker Co. = $388,000
Grocery Manufacturers Association = $375,000
Hormel Foods Corp. = $374,300
Bimbo Bakeries USA = $338,300
Pioneer Hi-Bred International (a DuPont business) = $310,100
Ocean Spray Cranberries Inc. = $301,553
Pinnacle Foods Group LLC = $266,100
Dean Foods Co. = $253,950
Biotech Industry Organization = $250,000
McCormick & Co. Inc. = $248,200
Rich Products Corp. = $225,537
Cargill Inc. = $202,229
Del Monte Foods Co. = $189,975
Knouse Foods Cooperative = $131,409
W.M. Wrigley Jr. Co. = $116,866
Mars Food North America = $100,243
Bumble Bee Foods LLC = $98,074
Sara Lee Corp. = $96,833
Sunny Delight Beverages Co. = $93,796
Campbell Soup Co. = $70,455
Solae LLC (Affiliated with DuPont & Monsanto = $59,215
McCain Foods USA = $50,593
Dole Packaged Foods Co. = $45,580

To see a FULL size chart on the issue, one can go here:

As noted here, the chart shows the latest update of major corporate ownership and involvement in the organic food sector that is now out. And the chart graphically focuses on the organic brands with ties to the top 25 food processors in North America.

I am so thankful for Dr. Phil Howard, an Assistant Professor at Michigan State, who is responsible for the creation and updating of the organic food business chart. He teaches in the University’s Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies program. And it is fortunately the case that Dr. Howard has now created a new graphically animated version of consolidation occurring in the organic food sector between 1995 and 2007.
Great resource, for sure !

As before, (helplessly) watching this happen in bookselling and publishing was quite a lesson for me; the same phenomenon in a different structure in the music industry (covered in the Baffler, etc.).

It's the same thing, but now with food.

For more, you can view this by clicking on this link . Additionally,
Dr. Howard’s first organic food sector chart, from 2002 (the date the USDA’s organic standards were implemented) gave some very interesting comparisons of the dramatic changes that have taken place with organics over the past 4 years...and for more, one can view the 2008 organic food sector chart by clicking here. Moreover, two other revealing presentations of organic business have also been prepared by Dr. Howard. ..as the following are charts of major independent organic companies and private label organic brands, including supermarket chains, specialty chains and distributors.

The rabbit hole goes deep on this one...:cool:
I'm almost afraid to look ...

As I didn't see our local (regional, privately owned) grocery in the link above, thought I'd share what they've been doing.
http://www.wegmans.com/blog/2012/04/go-wegmans-organic/

They've started their own organic farm, and are partnering with regional organic farmers. Transitional organic crops and non-certified organic crops (some farmers don't have the wherewithal for the cert programs) have their own label and are priced the same as conventional; organic is a separate label line, but pretty reasonably priced. We split our shopping between the small local family owned grocery and this one. I also realize that we're in a unique position -- to have two decent resources in one community. (Plus local organic farms where we can buy in season ... and our children can "meet" their food.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've pretty much come into his way of thinking with politics....an oligarchy making us THINK we have a say...in the end, whatever the 'cause' is, it may be legit in the beginning, but go right back to the oligarchs in the end....
If you want to put things in terms of StarWars, ( as said before in #158 ), you're either gonna be Qui-Gon Jinn being a maverick....Obi-Wan Kenobi daring to still train up future hope despite the rise of the Empire ...or Anakin disillusioned/prone to fall to the Dark Side because of how he was played.

And where I stand now, it's no different than how it was back in the Underground Railroad days when others - uncertain of the full extent of involvement and often thinking they were alone - made a WORLD of difference doing what they could ...one life at a time, eventually smuggling thousands of slaves into freedom (and using resources from all sources - be it the slaves who navigated like Sojourner Truth/Harriet Tubman or others who fought on the political front like Fredrick Douglass...or even those who were rich/considered part of the establishment and yet used their position to further the cause like Levi Coffin and other white land-owners did in helping others escape).

It took reaching the point where they'd have to get a bit maverick themselves if they were to get things done - and I think we're at a point where we have to consider the same.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's almost ironic, til you investigate; it's not about choice (or even ethics, or any other idea or idea); it's about market share. (Throw your lot in any potentially profitable basket - and labeling nonGMO is going to be harder as pollen seep continues.)
Pretty much. Cash changes things..

It's been hard to keep up with the acquisitions - over the years the list keeps growing (and it's pretty sad). Some companies weren't so great to start with (like Horizon, which was/is basically factory farming ...).
Didn't know Horizon was essentially factory farming - but will keep it in mind, as factory farming is truly horrifying and at times I'm surprised many aren't as outraged on that as they are with GMOs.
The same thing happened in publishing (following the advent of mega-booksellers). Independent and Small Press publishing still hasn't recovered. Same MO; market share and margin trumps value ...it's tragic.
Taste and originality are not as valued in corporations as And part of the problem is that it can be so time consuming to follow this and evaluate products. A lot happens whenever you have publishing houses experiencing takeover by ruthless tycoons. When it is about what's "Pop" over what's a Masterpiece - just as with music - things go dead...or they continue in a pointless manner.
Honestly, that's one thing I appreciate about living in PA - many small farmers (carried in our local "health food store", which also sells their own produce in season and local raw milk, etc.).
Wishing I lived more so toward that in Georgia - but we make do with what's available.
Great resource, for sure !
:thumbsup:
As before, (helplessly) watching this happen in bookselling and publishing was quite a lesson for me; the same phenomenon in a different structure in the music industry (covered in the Baffler, etc.).

It's the same thing, but now with food.

I'm almost afraid to look ...
Same Game, Different Host.

Sometimes, you feel like you're in a big version of what happened with the Wizard of Oz and what went down with that.
As I didn't see our local (regional, privately owned) grocery in the link above, thought I'd share what they've been doing.
Go Organic With Wegmans

They've started their own organic farm, and are partnering with regional organic farmers. Transitional organic crops and non-certified organic crops (some farmers don't have the wherewithal for the cert programs) have their own label and are priced the same as conventional; organic is a separate label line, but pretty reasonably priced. We split our shopping between the small local family owned grocery and this one. I also realize that we're in a unique position -- to have two decent resources in one community. (Plus local organic farms where we can buy in season ... and our children can "meet" their food.)
:clap:

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the research you guys have provided.

My computer is failing, so it overheats and then I need to shut it down to cool it off. I needed another one yesterday. I can no longer upgrade to the latest versions of flash, so I cannot watch videos. If I do, then it does not stream. Thus I miss half the story. Some stories found on the internet are only found in the flash version. Thus, it is hard to research these topics.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For example:

Monsanto Co Contributions to Federal Candidates | OpenSecrets

Monsanto, Pesticide Companies Contribute Another $5.5 Million to Kill GMO Labeling Initiative | Cornucopia Institute

Lobbying and Advertising: Eight Ways Monsanto Fails at Sustainable Agriculture | Union of Concerned Scientists

tumblr_lve4ye19xf1r0gu47o1_1280.gif
That's disappointing. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all the research you guys have provided.

My computer is failing, so it overheats and then I need to shut it down to cool it off. I needed another one yesterday. I can no longer upgrade to the latest versions of flash, so I cannot watch videos. If I do, then it does not stream. Thus I miss half the story. Some stories found on the internet are only found in the flash version. Thus, it is hard to research these topics.
Can definitely relate to that - as some of the links others place up along videos can be difficult to check out at times due to computer issues and I often feel like I have to wait some time before catching up. But for those things that do work, I'm glad. All in the Lord's time :)

On a side note, forgot to give this out earlier - one of Monsanto's other actions. For a description
483628_450738595001428_169201756_n.jpg

"I am battery hen. I live in a cage so small I cannot stretch my wings. I am forced to stand night and day on a sloping wire mesh floor that painfully cuts into my feet. The cage walls tear my feathers, forming blood blisters that never hea...l. The air is so full of ammonia that my lungs hurt, my eyes burn, and I think I am going blind. As soon as I was born, a man grabbed me and sheared off part of my beak with a hot iron, and my little brothers were thrown into trash bags as useless alive. My mind is alert and my body is sensitive and I should have been richly feathered. In nature or even a farmyard I would have had sociable, cleansing dust baths with my flock mates, an innate need and desire so strong that I perform 'vacuum' dust bathing on the wire floor of my cage which injures me.

Free, I would have ranged my ancestral jungles and fields with my mates, devouring plants, earthworms, and insects from sunrise to dusk. I would have exercised my body and expressed my nature, and I would have given, and received, pleasure as a whole being. I am only a year old, but I am already a 'spent hen.' To the humans: I wish I were dead, and soon I will be. Look for pieces of my wounded flesh wherever chicken pies and soups are sold."

Love the work being done by Occupy Monsanto

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62764562 said:
Coporatism at its best - and not even hidden. Love the diagram as it brings the issue home...

What you said reminded of what happened years back when many huge food conglomerates joined Monsanto's gang in an effort to defeat Prop 37 in California on November 6, 2012. ..with Proposition 37 being a ballot initiative that requires genetically engineered foods to be labeled as such, and would prevent deceptive marketing tactics of labeling GMO foods as “natural.”

What was HIGHLY ironic was that most of the companies lobbying against Prop 37 also had a stake in the organic industry...something truly telling in the global food revolution since these companies export their products across the world and can make whatever they want ..even though the public has the right to know if there is GMOs in the food they buy.

In order to know what companies and organic brands to potentially black list on your shopping list, one can go here/see the complete chart of companies that contributed major dollars to defeat Prop 37 and also own organic brands:

• - General Mills owns organic or "natural" brands including Cascadian Farm, Larabar and Muir Glen.
  • - Pepsi owns Naked Juice.
  • - Nestle owns Tribe Mediterranean Food.
  • - Cocacola owns Odwalla.
  • - Kellogg owns Bear Naked, Morningstar Farms, Natural Touch, Kashi and Wholesome & Hearty.
  • - Hershey Company owns Dagoba Organic Chocolate.
  • - Dean Foods Co. owns Silk, White Wave, Alta Dena, and Horizon, which owns the Organic Cow of Vermont.
More could be said...but suffice to say, there is an entire list of companies fighting to keep us in the dark and the contributions they're making to lobby against Prop 37 - some which were shocking to say the least. It reminded me of a huge Shell Game where the goal is to keep you distracted/guessing as long as possible via acting through sleight of hand...playing on the fact that you want to find where the mark is....and having you think it's in one place while manuevering behind the scenes occurs...and for many organic farmers, it's sad when they think Monsanto is the goal and yet they have no idea that other companies they may support are also in bed with them.

And not a surprise seeing how many already are paid SUBSTANTIALLY well...and thus, you gotta look out for whoever will make sure you get paid:
Monsanto Company = $4,208,000
DuPont Pioneer = $2,441,500
PepsiCo Inc. = $1,716,300
BASF Plant Science = $1,642,300
Bayer CropScience = $1,618,400
E.I. Dupont De Nemours & Co. = $1,273,600
Dow Agrosciences LLC = $1,184,800
Nestle USA = $1,169,400
Coca-Cola North America = $1,164,400
ConAgra Foods = $1,076,700
Syngenta Corporation = $821,300
Kellogg Co. = $632,500
Council for Biotechnology Information = $625,000
General Mills Inc. = $519,401
Hershey Company = $395,100
J.M. Smucker Co. = $388,000
Grocery Manufacturers Association = $375,000
Hormel Foods Corp. = $374,300
Bimbo Bakeries USA = $338,300
Pioneer Hi-Bred International (a DuPont business) = $310,100
Ocean Spray Cranberries Inc. = $301,553
Pinnacle Foods Group LLC = $266,100
Dean Foods Co. = $253,950
Biotech Industry Organization = $250,000
McCormick & Co. Inc. = $248,200
Rich Products Corp. = $225,537
Cargill Inc. = $202,229
Del Monte Foods Co. = $189,975
Knouse Foods Cooperative = $131,409
W.M. Wrigley Jr. Co. = $116,866
Mars Food North America = $100,243
Bumble Bee Foods LLC = $98,074
Sara Lee Corp. = $96,833
Sunny Delight Beverages Co. = $93,796
Campbell Soup Co. = $70,455
Solae LLC (Affiliated with DuPont & Monsanto = $59,215
McCain Foods USA = $50,593
Dole Packaged Foods Co. = $45,580

To see a FULL size chart on the issue, one can go here:​

As noted here, the chart shows the latest update of major corporate ownership and involvement in the organic food sector that is now out. And the chart graphically focuses on the organic brands with ties to the top 25 food processors in North America.

I am so thankful for Dr. Phil Howard, an Assistant Professor at Michigan State, who is responsible for the creation and updating of the organic food business chart. He teaches in the University’s Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies program. And it is fortunately the case that Dr. Howard has now created a new graphically animated version of consolidation occurring in the organic food sector between 1995 and 2007.

Dr. Howard’s first organic food sector chart, from 2002 (the date the USDA’s organic standards were implemented) gave some very interesting comparisons of the dramatic changes that have taken place with organics over the past 4 years...and for more, one can view the 2008 organic food sector chart by clicking here. Moreover, two other revealing presentations of organic business have also been prepared by Dr. Howard. ..as the following are charts of major independent organic companies and private label organic brands, including supermarket chains, specialty chains and distributors.

This is disheartening. :( We use Cascadian Farms granola bars, cereal, and frozen veggies. Although, we've been using Alexia and 365 organic lately. Ugh. Also, we get Horizon milk and sour cream and ....forgot the other. We also use Organic Valley milk and butter (I believe that's the brand of butter - whipped), Horizon sticks of butter.

My hubby told me a few weeks ago about Muir Glen - we use their diced tomatoes, tomato paste, salsa (we use Newman's salsa as well), and tomato sauce. Ugh Sometimes we use 365 diced tomatoes (365, as you know, is a Whole Foods brand).

For many of our snacks for the boys, we get Annie's organic snacks. Also, her salad dressings and ketchup and mustard. we use Nature's Path cereal and granola bars now more than Cascadian Farms.

Lots we switched over from since last fall when, at the time, we were eating the regular General Mills and Kelloggs cereals, and Kraft products and Heinz ketchup, etc.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62764562 said:

YEA! I checked the independent organic companies, and we buy and use Lundberg Family Farms rice, Amy's Kitchen, Peace cereal, Nature's Path, and Applegate Farms (chicken pot pies when we aren't in Lent lol). :)

We also use Newman's salsa and we've been buying their Fig Newman's. I hope they're good. Good as it organic, natural, not tastes good, because we know they do. lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);62764653 said:
Ultimately, you already know that if BIG MONEY is involved, you are probably not going to truly get all the facts - including what happens off the books and what goes on behind the scenes. Just follow the money trail.

As said before elsewhere (83, #80 , #79 and #89 ) , of course I'm not against all forms of genetic engineering with foods and products - but I do walk with a lot of caution whenever others praise everything done in the name of it.

Many don't really have a lot of wisdom on the basics when it comes to the food supply:

Rich Food Revolution?

And we already have some VERY BIG issues coming up in light of how so many of the chemical aspects we've used in pollinization have come back to haunt us. Bees are dying due to the sheer amount of chemical agents (including those which are not synthetic and are instead organic). You already know what happens when the Eco-System is impacted by the severe loss of bees (regardless of how many try to act as if not taking care of the natural world is not important/a part of the Gospel being promoted) - for it will lead to A LOT of destruction. This goes directly in line with what was noted before when it came to the dynamic of others now making Genetically Engineered Trees (as shared in #14 / #41 ) - as it leads to more problems than it solves.

With what's happening with bees, it's interesting to see the timing of events in light of the fact that scientists have recently realized that nanoparticles made From Bee Venom can kill HIV. And for reference on the Bee issue:

Already aware of it - and no need for the reference, although thanks for sharing anyway.

As said before, things are not always as simple as they seem and even Lewis noted that on a host of occassions when it came to why men struggle with many issues.
Understood.

Ultimately, people are people - no matter how corrupt (or decieved) - and thus, the ultimate solution is prayer/bringing the issues to the Lord.

:( G, what about Bob's Red Mill flour? I heard his organic flour and oats are really good.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62772959 said:
Can definitely relate to that - as some of the links others place up along videos can be difficult to check out at times due to computer issues and I often feel like I have to wait some time before catching up. But for those things that do work, I'm glad. All in the Lord's time :)

On a side note, forgot to give this out earlier - one of Monsanto's other actions. For a description

Love the work being done by Occupy Monsanto

I have raised chickens. The chicken pictured is very anemic.

Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0