Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just read this just now.....scary. Today is safe but I fear it’ll strike Earth in the future.

<<<<<<<<ST. LOUIS, Mo. — An asteroid is barreling through the solar system at speeds faster than 43,000 miles per hour and it's expected to make an approach today.
According to NASA it was first spotted on January 1st and its movements have been closely watched.

The object has been named Asteroid 2020 AO and is about the size of the Statue of Liberty. It is expected to approach the earth 12:13pm CST today.

This asteroid is not in danger of hitting the planet during this trip around the sun. The object's orbit intersects Earth's but during this flyby, it will be around 2.2 million miles from the planet. To put that in perspective, the moon is around 238,000 miles from Earth.

There is a possibility that it could strike the planet in the future. It would leave a mile-wide impact crater and could take out a city.>>>>>>>>

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I just read this just now.....scary. Today is safe but I fear it’ll strike Earth in the future.

<<<<<<<<ST. LOUIS, Mo. — An asteroid is barreling through the solar system at speeds faster than 43,000 miles per hour and it's expected to make an approach today.
According to NASA it was first spotted on January 1st and its movements have been closely watched.

The object has been named Asteroid 2020 AO and is about the size of the Statue of Liberty. It is expected to approach the earth 12:13pm CST today.

This asteroid is not in danger of hitting the planet during this trip around the sun. The object's orbit intersects Earth's but during this flyby, it will be around 2.2 million miles from the planet. To put that in perspective, the moon is around 238,000 miles from Earth.

There is a possibility that it could strike the planet in the future. It would leave a mile-wide impact crater and could take out a city.>>>>>>>>
"
"... The second angel sounded, and something like a great burning mountain was
thrown into the sea. One third of the sea became blood ..." Revelation 8:8. Sounds a lot like an asteroid.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So it's missing hitting your house or mine by 2,000,000 miles. Nice. To put things in perspective, nothing happens to you. On the other hand chances of getting struck by lightning is 1 in 3000 in one year. Getting killed in a car crash incident of some sort is 1 in 77 chance you are next.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I am having a flashback.

Celestial city of New Jerusalem photographed by NASA’s Hubble space telescope

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<<<< Of the Antichrist
  1. As to the Antichrist we teach that the prophecies of the Holy Scriptures concerning the Antichrist, 2 Thess. 2:3-12; 1 John 2:18, have been fulfilled in the Pope of Rome and his dominion. All the features of the Antichrist as drawn in these prophecies, including the most abominable and horrible ones, for example, that the Antichrist "as God sitteth in the temple of God," 2 Thess. 2:4; that he anathematizes the very heart of the Gospel of Christ, that is, the doctrine of the forgiveness of sins by grace alone, for Christ's sake alone, through faith alone, without any merit or worthiness in man (Rom. 3:20-28; Gal. 2:16); that he recognizes only those as members of the Christian Church who bow to his authority; and that, like a deluge, he had inundated the whole Church with his antichristian doctrines till God revealed him through the Reformation — these very features are the outstanding characteristics of the Papacy. (Cf. Smalcald Articles, Triglot, p. 515, Paragraphs 39-41; p. 401, Paragraph 45; M. pp. 336, 258.) Hence we subscribe to the statement of our Confessions that the Pope is "the very Antichrist." (Smalcald Articles, Triglot, p. 475, Paragraph 10; M., p. 308.)

Please read our response to this Frequently Asked Question.
Return to topics

Return to topics

Return to topics>>>>>

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wait, the Q&A below is talking about “many antichrists” who speak against Christ, not THE Antichrist correct?

<<<<<<<QUESTION: As a Methodist living in a new town, I have found a local LCMS church where I feel comfortable and fed. Seeking information, I have looked over your pages on the net and have developed some questions. The connection between the antichrist and pope are unclear to me. Do you believe the pope is the only enemy?

ANSWER: The LCMS does not teach, nor has it ever taught, that any individual Pope as a person, is to be identified with the Antichrist. The historic view of LCMS on the Antichrist is summarized as follows by the Synod's Theological Commission:

The New Testament predicts that the church throughout its history will witness many antichrists (Matt. 24:5, 23-24; Mark 13:6, 21-22; Luke 21:8; 1 John 2:18, 22, 4:3; 2 John 7). All false teachers who teach contrary to Christ's Word are opponents of Christ and, insofar as they do so, are anti-Christ.>>>>>

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
"
"... The second angel sounded, and something like a great burning mountain was
thrown into the sea. One third of the sea became blood ..." Revelation 8:8. Sounds a lot like an asteroid.
Sounds like an asteroid should one prefer crass literalism of OT and NT instead of sound Biblical doctrine as taught in Lutheran denominations like WELS \ ELS \ LCMS.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Sounds like an asteroid should one prefer crass literalism of OT and NT instead of sound Biblical doctrine as taught in Lutheran denominations like WELS \ ELS \ LCMS.
I'm not interested in denominational theology. I'm interested in the living Word of God, which I preach and teach. Christians dividing over petty doctrinal interpretations are an abomination to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not interested in denominational theology. I'm interested in the living Word of God, which I preach and teach. Christians dividing over petty doctrinal interpretations are an abomination to God.

You're in the Lutheran forum. OP is asking about Lutheran beliefs. God bless

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Eventually the Earth will be hit by an asteroid, comet, or other body. It just happens, has happened before, and statistically it will happen again. We don't know when, but we can prepare by developing technology to nudge the body away from Earth and possibly colonize other parts of the solar system or beyond.

But in the end it does not really matter, we just need to focus on making Earth the best place we can now, to show love and teach Christ.

As for your question on prophesy in the Bible... Lutherans do not focus on that. We tend to focus on salvation through Grace and learning to live a Godly life. If we focus on that then it does not really matter if or when the end does come, we will be prepared. I honestly don't understand the people and denominations that are soooo focused on it, such as the Seventh Day Adventists, etc.

There are and have been many "anti-Christ" people, people that are contrary to the message of Jesus. The Popes have been them, the office of the papacy has been them, but so have many others. The actual "Anti-Christ" as an individual may or may not actually be a Pope. But again, it just does not matter really if we keep our focus on Christ and Jesus's teachings and try to live them out.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eventually the Earth will be hit by an asteroid, comet, or other body. It just happens, has happened before, and statistically it will happen again. We don't know when, but we can prepare by developing technology to nudge the body away from Earth and possibly colonize other parts of the solar system or beyond.

But in the end it does not really matter, we just need to focus on making Earth the best place we can now, to show love and teach Christ.

As for your question on prophesy in the Bible... Lutherans do not focus on that. We tend to focus on salvation through Grace and learning to live a Godly life. If we focus on that then it does not really matter if or when the end does come, we will be prepared. I honestly don't understand the people and denominations that are soooo focused on it, such as the Seventh Day Adventists, etc.

There are and have been many "anti-Christ" people, people that are contrary to the message of Jesus. The Popes have been them, the office of the papacy has been them, but so have many others. The actual "Anti-Christ" as an individual may or may not actually be a Pope. But again, it just does not matter really if we keep our focus on Christ and Jesus's teachings and try to live them out.

Thanks! You’ve been very helpful.

• Friendly
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,441.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The earth is in desperate need of a deep cleanse!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. I just wanted the LCMS point of view.

The Book of Concord calls the office of the Papacy the Antichrist, but not the person himself. In other words, a specific pope can be a saved, believing Christian. However, when he invokes the powers of the papal office (those the LCMS objects to), he is acting as an antichrist.

Yes, the LCMS believes Biblical prophecy. One must be careful, though. Per history most Christians in the U.S. have followed a Reformed Puritan view. As such, most of the "prophecy" you'll hear from Christians in the U.S. is considered man-made nonsense by the LCMS.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Concord calls the office of the Papacy the Antichrist, but not the person himself. In other words, a specific pope can be a saved, believing Christian. However, when he invokes the powers of the papal office (those the LCMS objects to), he is acting as an antichrist.

Yes, the LCMS believes Biblical prophecy. One must be careful, though. Per history most Christians in the U.S. have followed a Reformed Puritan view. As such, most of the "prophecy" you'll hear from Christians in the U.S. is considered man-made nonsense by the LCMS.

So, the LCMS doesn’t see the pope as the one to come right before the end of the world, right?

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, the LCMS doesn’t see the pope as the one to come right before the end of the world, right?

Possibly. Let me try to explain.

It appears Luther believed the Pope was indeed the AntiChrist of the end times. But you need to understand that Luther is not the pope of the Lutheran church. He is not indisputable. He was a sinful man prone to error just as we all are.

Second, the word "antichrist" only appears in the letters of 1 and 2 John. It never appears in the Revelation. Given John wrote Revelation, the fact that he never specifically referred to the antichrist in that letter is very curious. It certainly seems antichrists make an appearance in Revelation, but pointing to anything specific is just speculation and a bit dangerous. This is what I was talking about. Many of the wild stories you've probably heard about the end times are not based in the Bible. It's just imagination.

With that said, many of the early church fathers believed Revelation spoke of an antichrist in the end times. The thing is, many of them also believed the end was only a few years away, so … not necessarily an infallible source there either.

What we have then, is the Lutheran Confessions. The Pope as Antichrist is mentioned in 2 places: something called the Smallcald Articles and a treatise called "On the Power and Primacy of the Pope". Those documents list specific actions of the Pope that make the office antichrist. Therefore, it is not a vague, general accusation, but something very specific.

As long as the Pope continues to act per what is listed in those documents, I expect the LCMS will continue to consider him an antichrist. If he continues in that behavior to the end of the world, then he could well be the one mentioned in Revelation. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say the LCMS believes it is a hard and fast Biblical truth that the Pope is destined to be the Beast prophesied in Revelation or some such thing as that. It's just too hard to know how it will all play out.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Possibly. Let me try to explain.

It appears Luther believed the Pope was indeed the AntiChrist of the end times. But you need to understand that Luther is not the pope of the Lutheran church. He is not indisputable. He was a sinful man prone to error just as we all are.

Second, the word "antichrist" only appears in the letters of 1 and 2 John. It never appears in the Revelation. Given John wrote Revelation, the fact that he never specifically referred to the antichrist in that letter is very curious. It certainly seems antichrists make an appearance in Revelation, but pointing to anything specific is just speculation and a bit dangerous. This is what I was talking about. Many of the wild stories you've probably heard about the end times are not based in the Bible. It's just imagination.

With that said, many of the early church fathers believed Revelation spoke of an antichrist in the end times. The thing is, many of them also believed the end was only a few years away, so … not necessarily an infallible source there either.

What we have then, is the Lutheran Confessions. The Pope as Antichrist is mentioned in 2 places: something called the Smallcald Articles and a treatise called "On the Power and Primacy of the Pope". Those documents list specific actions of the Pope that make the office antichrist. Therefore, it is not a vague, general accusation, but something very specific.

As long as the Pope continues to act per what is listed in those documents, I expect the LCMS will continue to consider him an antichrist. If he continues in that behavior to the end of the world, then he could well be the one mentioned in Revelation. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say the LCMS believes it is a hard and fast Biblical truth that the Pope is destined to be the Beast prophesied in Revelation or some such thing as that. It's just too hard to know how it will all play out.

I’m going to talk to my pastor this afternoon.

Upvote 0