OT: President Obama's press conference and executive decision on gun laws

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I'm a huge sucker for the elvish swords just because of how refined their smithing process is and the enchantment that's usually involved. It's like comparing a Mustang to an Aston. Narsil, Andúril, Hadhafang (made up for the movie), Glamdring, Orcrist, Anglachel/Gurthang, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Legolas' Elven fighting knives I'd add up there as being pretty impressive. The ones which he uses when he is in very close quarters or when he runs out of arrows, as I was always impressed with how Legolas weilded his knives with one in each hand and executed his attacks with deadly quick precision...almost like it was ballet dance in the graceful speed/fluid movement he wielded them with.

71622d1261312124-model-request-legolas-legolasknives.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just traded guns this morning. I traded my semiauto for a revolver so I won't have to register it if they push the "assault" weapons ban through.
How long will the revolver last?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes. Plus there was the imagery of a king's sword having meaning. Think about Theoden, after he's "exorcised," and receives his old sword back...what an awesome moment..
I always felt a bit sadden for Theoden when seeing what he was essentially "comatose" for when he was under that spell that made him do the bidding of Sauruman. And when awakening to realize his son was dead/his people suffering like never before, the imagery of his sword helping his memory seemed a bit hard to enjoy.

In the Middle Ages, swords had names and reputations, stories that went with them. And a man handed down his sword to his boys.
Always amazing to see how that was the case and what it meant to others to have something that saw so many differing eras and had personality. There are some guns that I've seen have the same allure.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Bottom line, you want to massacre and maim and hurt, and you're mentally unstable, you'll create a weapon. Nobody in their right mind for years considered the idea of flying airplanes into towers!? We all know that piece of creativity and thinking outside the box killed far more folks than if the terrorists would've had AK-47s in a mall....

I think Obama and company are trying to make it LOOK like they're changing things. Frankly, the Republicans would probably do the same thing.....

Although I personally think the president does truly want to change things, I do think there's something to be said on how you can go about trying to bring change without addressing the root causes - resulting in you either working hard rather than working smart...or seeking to address one symptom of an disease/treating it rather than addressing the other symptoms/the other problems they've led to and thinking we're good because we cured part of an issue.

Doing ministry in the inner-city many times, I couldn't help but feel the entire response to the shootings in Colorado with gun control seemed a bit - incomplete. One of my close friends noted the following when it came to seeing the reactions others seem to have with certain communities in comparision to others:

Whether it is the deaths of the kids in Newton, Connecticut or the death of the thousands of kids in Chicago; there has to be some action toward stopping the continuance of senseless death. I have read quote after quote, story after story, theological perspectives, thoughts on gun control but I am still just kind of numb.

It is not hard to decipher the motive behind some of the statements. Many folks have used this incident as an opportunity to agenda push. They want to get their point of view out in order to push their agenda more so than to bring solace to the masses. I wanted to be clear minded and focus when I spoke about the tragic incident in Connecticut. There is the one mind-set to push an outcry for the numerous of children killed in Chicago on a nightly bases that has topped 20-30 in a weekend. The same level of attention is not given to those kids as much as the kids in Newton, Connecticut. Newton was the place where this type of thing should not have happen-the idyllic place. It was the place where folks take their kids to remove them from such utter madness. It was supposedly a safe haven of a school zone. Chicago on the other hand is prime real estate for such a phenomenon. Kid should expect to be killed on those mean streets without much thought at least that is how the media portrays it. The coverage is not highlighted with lament but attacked with contempt for those in Chicago. (I guess by not doing it I have done it anyway)

Some were a little disheartened to hear that the president wants to take action to prevent this kind of thing from happening again. The truth is he cannot prevent this kind of thing, if someone wants to kill a group they will find a way to do. Whether that's with a knife or trying to run people over with you car the goal is still going to be accomplished. Taking away a gun from someone like me is not going to help prevent murder. We live in a fallen world, this kind of thing is inevitable.

Taking action is good - but in order to take action wisely, you have to address the root of the issue - and remember that no solution is truly "perfect" in an imperct world. For in a culture of violence and selfishness (which is where we live in - on top of a morally relativistic society), evil can be done easily and with a lot of justfication irregardless of laws made against it or appeals to others not to do so. And guns are but one way evil spirits express themselves - with guns used by others to take out evil men not being the way to end evil since you can kill the body but not the spirit. The same spirit driving that man to kill himself/others with guns can easily find something else to use as a weapon - be it cars/drunk driving (which kills more than guns, according to many), drugs, knives, clubs, bats, gangs or any other means for destruction

As another sister in CHrist noted to me:
Jesus is truly the need in every instance of evil. Events such as Connecticut and China are blatant reminders of this need. On the issue of what leadership can do, gun control can be enacted in many ways. In America, it seems we like to remove temptation, which is not necessarily the best course of action because then people do not know how to use a tool like a gun. I am quite a fan of how Switzerland handles their gun laws by requiring people to train for the militia for two years, giving them their weapons when their training is over and are ready to serve if necessary. This is also a form of gun control. You can google Switzerland's gun control to see what I am talking about.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how true this is but a friend who served in the Army told me that during Desert Storm they had to cut back on some attacks because the use of guided bombs and missiles was making it like a video game and the death toll was way beyond what was necessary.
Wow. That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know how true this is but a friend who served in the Army told me that during Desert Storm they had to cut back on some attacks because the use of guided bombs and missiles was making it like a video game and the death toll was way beyond what was necessary.

That wouldn't surprise me, I think they may have followed that same philosophy in Iraq and Afghanistan. The insurgents had old AK's and RPG-7's and some IED's that, granted have been very effective at inflicting casualties, are still small in comparison to the breadth of the American arsenal. I wonder if the scale of our initial attacks was larger if it would've discouraged the insurgents or motivated them to retaliate harder.

*I just want to note that I'm not trying to marginalized enemy firepower and how it's impacted American forces, just drawing a generalized comparison between their arsenal and that of the United States.

Gxg (G²);62240937 said:
Gotta say that I actually like Mustangs better than Anstons. There's more of an old school style....

On the Elvish swords, indeed, the refining process they used for those swords was always cool to watch. But nothing, IMHO, comes close to beating Thorin Oakenshield's Dwarf sword...and the way he looked handling the Orcist sword was stunning. It simply looked better with him using it than a regular elf - for when they found the ancient Elven sword named Orcrist, forged by the high Elves of the West, in Gondolin, Thorin claimed Orcrist for his own and vowed to cleave Goblins with it once again. The one using a sword can give it character apart from the one who made it - and sometimes, although the sword made by another has character on the basis of its creator, another can make it have a diffrerent character altogether. For I loved seeing how the Dwarf King wielded the sword through most of the Quest for Erebor, using it against the Goblins of the Misty Mountains. The blade of Orcrist features a curved leaf shape on one side, and a straight edge on the other, a fitting design for a blade meant to cleave Orcs and Goblins....and truthfully, very similar to what you'd see with Damascus Steel and Arabian swords in the curved aspects of it. Adorning the pommel is an emblem of the heraldry of Ecthelion of the Fountain. The hilt is shaped from the tooth of a dragon - fitting for the Dwarf King and his battle with the Dragon Smaug, although it is unknown if the tooth was acquired prior to the fifth battle of the First Age, or added to the sword with the inscription in the millennia after the Fall of Gondolin, most likely by the Dwarves of the North.

Either way, dwarfs and how they use swords rock^_^:D

I think my Mustang/Aston analogy wasn't so much to illustrate effectiveness as it was refinement.

I do agree that Thorin's wielding Orcrist was what made the sword itself more significant. I think the characters themselves realized that as Thranduil left Orcrist with Thorin's body after the Battle of Five Armies.

Gxg (G²);62240966 said:
Legolas' Elven fighting knives I'd add up there as being pretty impressive. The ones which he uses when he is in very close quarters or when he runs out of arrows, as I was always impressed with how Legolas weilded his knives with one in each hand and executed his attacks with deadly quick precision...almost like it was ballet dance in the graceful speed/fluid movement he wielded them with.

Ah yes I forgot all about the daggers! I loved those! I kept wishing he'd use them more in the films but he usually just brought them out for the climactic battles haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never in a thousand years would I argue that the soldiers of today are cowards, by ANY stretch. Matt, brother, you know my feelings about military men by now. There is NO ONE in this country with a more honorable, distinguished, or noble job than soldiers, sailors, and airmen.

But I'm speaking of the nature of war in general. While any combat would be a terrifying experience, ask most Marines what they'd prefer: an M-16 with a grenade launcher, tanks, and air cover.....or being dressed in a shield, helmet, shield, spear, and sword or being a Persian in wicker carrying a spear....walking into battle in the classical age where you're fighting eye-to-eye hacking at each other. Both are frightening, require courage and honor that's off the chart, the chance of death is still high, but I would say ancient warfare was more of a test of a warrior's mettle.

Look at the sheer numbers of maimed and dead in ancient times versus nowdays! Look at hor many of our American troops died in Iraq over all those years, and look at how many died with Alexander the Great in Iraq in one single battle!

I just maintain that there was more class to fighting a man feet or inches away with swords and spears than picking people off at a distance in the context of overall combat. But since we no longer fight that way and the terrorists take cheap shots anyway with their dirty bombs and suicide bombers, they deserve to be picked-off from 500 yards if need be! ^_^

I think your argument at the end is kind of what I'm saying, Matt? The fact that cowardly suicide bombers and splinter cell freaks dress up women in explosives under burkas, that's a cowardly thing. These people don't fight like men. That's my point. Of course it takes courage to fight such evil people! I'm just saying that, in the ancient times there were rules of combat and engagement and such nonsense just wasn't the acceptable norm.

Look at how the Greeks would raise trophies and have such clear balanced rules of fighting!

Wars are fought nowdays with the winner being the better technilogically-equipped army. In ancient times, there was more parity I think. That's all.

this is where I would disagree. the Persian fighting with the sword or spear has to get close to his enemy to be in danger. nowadays, you can take IDF at anytime, and anywhere. in ancient days, you knew where the bad guys were, nowadays, the ASG or ANA guy that I am standing near could at any moment turn is AK and start going to town.

it's the same test of mettle for the warrior, just in a different shade.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Understandable. But take a look at American injuries and casualties per total deployment and compare the same injuries and casualties per battle deployment in ancient warfare, it's nowhere near as heinous and massive. There were roughly 4,500 Americans killed in Iraq from 2003 to 2012. Imagine in one Greek battle on one day you could have double or triple that. If you look at those awesome battles of Alexander vs. Darius III like Gaugamela or Issus or Granicus, casualties vary in report by historian from 40,000 to 90,000 at Gaugamela alone!

Nobody is saying, especially me, that our soldiers aren't in harm's way, aren't courageous, aren't honorable warriors to be admired and respected to an enormous degree, but I'm simply saying ancient warfare was far more ravaging, awesomely destructive in human life, and bloody overall. I think a lot of folks would prefer kevlar, an M-16, tanks and air support, drones, stealth bombers, satellite tech, night vision, patriot missiles, F-16's, and the overall scene of nowdays to the old cuirass, shield, helmet, sword, and spear of the classical age....the brutal scale of carnage was overwhelming....

this is where I would disagree. the Persian fighting with the sword or spear has to get close to his enemy to be in danger. nowadays, you can take IDF at anytime, and anywhere. in ancient days, you knew where the bad guys were, nowadays, the ASG or ANA guy that I am standing near could at any moment turn is AK and start going to town.

it's the same test of mettle for the warrior, just in a different shade.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Understandable. But take a look at American injuries and casualties per total deployment and compare the same injuries and casualties per battle deployment in ancient warfare, it's nowhere near as heinous and massive. There were roughly 4,500 Americans killed in Iraq from 2003 to 2012. Imagine in one Greek battle on one day you could have double or triple that. If you look at those awesome battles of Alexander vs. Darius III like Gaugamela or Issus or Granicus, casualties vary in report by historian from 40,000 to 90,000 at Gaugamela alone!

Nobody is saying, especially me, that our soldiers aren't in harm's way, aren't courageous, aren't honorable warriors to be admired and respected to an enormous degree, but I'm simply saying ancient warfare was far more ravaging, awesomely destructive in human life, and bloody overall. I think a lot of folks would prefer kevlar, an M-16, tanks and air support, drones, stealth bombers, satellite tech, night vision, patriot missiles, F-16's, and the overall scene of nowdays to the old cuirass, shield, helmet, sword, and spear of the classical age....the brutal scale of carnage was overwhelming....

Not only was the nature of warfare itself obviously different, but how a nations military itself was integrated into a culture was often different than in most countries today. You have the Spartans whose society had a whole class of laborers simply so that male Spartans could be bred in the art of war and devote their entire lives to military service. It would seem that in antiquity when one nation fought another, often the entire able-bodied male population was involved (with obvious exceptions). Today there are systems that govern most nation's military conscription or enlistment.

I think that's a factor that's often overlooked when extrapolating figures, the percentage of an ancient nation's population that was involved in combat as compared to that of a modern nation.

My .02¢ :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Helots from Messenia were not just a class, but a whole ethnic group of slaves. It's incredible to read about the Krypteia, the Spartan secret police, who would brutalize and terrorize the Helots to keep them in constant fear and in line. The Athenians and then especially later the THEBANS (!!!) used the threat of a Helot revolt to keep Sparta at bay. Sparta's limitation was that they couldn't deploy troops for long. When no one was home "minding the store," the Helots got ideas!

Not only was the nature of warfare itself obviously different, but how a nations military itself was integrated into a culture was often different than in most countries today. You have the Spartans whose society had a whole class of laborers simply so that male Spartans could be bred in the art of war and devote their entire lives to military service. It would seem that in antiquity when one nation fought another, often the entire able-bodied male population was involved (with obvious exceptions). Today there are systems that govern most nation's military conscription or enlistment.

I think that's a factor that's often overlooked when extrapolating figures, the percentage of an ancient nation's population that was involved in combat as compared to that of a modern nation.

My .02¢ :D

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);62240985 said:
How long will the revolver last?

This actually makes your point better than anything else since I'm having to change my self defense mindset and tactics going from a semiauto to a revolver. I haven't carried a revolver as a primary weapon since the mid 90's. Going from 10 + 1 with a spare 10 round magazine to 6 loaded and 6 loose in a pocket is a big transition. I plan to get a speed loader soon so I can reload quickly if needed.

No matter the quality or engineering, a semiauto still has more chance of malfunctioning because of mechanical complexity. However, the firepower greatly offsets that. Barring a dud round or some extremely rare problem, a revolver will go bang EVERY time. But you only have 5-6 rounds so there is incentive to make every shot count.

Then there is the power that a revolver's frame can provide. A .357 magnum hollow point is a devastating round so there is no need to double tap if you use judicious marksmanship. It IS almost like using a different skill set that requires more patience and skill to be effective.

Touché!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think my Mustang/Aston analogy wasn't so much to illustrate effectiveness as it was refinement.
I caught the aspect of refinement - and to be more clear, what I was trying to note is that refinement is really a subjective matter. Someone choosing a Mustang over an Aston may be deemed to be choosing something more rugged/rough than an Aston - whereas the person choosing a Mustang may be thinking they're choosing something vintage, retro and classical...all of which are qualities many associate with true refinement. See it all the time when people choose to buy Cadillacs or Cammeros (which my step-brother has) from the 60s/70s because of the feel it gives. Used to think the buying of Cadillacs was something that happened more so in black culture - till I started seeing more young adults buying those cars all over.

VICTOR_FLORES_BLUE_DEVIL.jpg

Cadillac+Eldorado+1967.jpg

1968-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-396-PO-900x462.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I do agree that Thorin's wielding Orcrist was what made the sword itself more significant. I think the characters themselves realized that as Thranduil left Orcrist with Thorin's body after the Battle of Five Armies.
Indeed - and I'm glad they left the sword with his body since that officially became his sword rather than borrowed property. The man rocked it with Orcrist.
Ah yes I forgot all about the daggers! I loved those!
:clap:
I kept wishing he'd use them more in the films but he usually just brought them out for the climactic battles haha.
I'd think you'd save your best weapons for climactic battles anyhow - like having good wine that you don't just drink all the time except on special occassions. Sometimes, I was hoping he'd just have them out to play with

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This actually makes your point better than anything else since I'm having to change my self defense mindset and tactics going from a semiauto to a revolver. I haven't carried a revolver as a primary weapon since the mid 90's. Going from 10 + 1 with a spare 10 round magazine to 6 loaded and 6 loose in a pocket is a big transition. I plan to get a speed loader soon so I can reload quickly if needed.

No matter the quality or engineering, a semiauto still has more chance of malfunctioning because of mechanical complexity. However, the firepower greatly offsets that. Barring a dud round or some extremely rare problem, a revolver will go bang EVERY time. But you only have 5-6 rounds so there is incentive to make every shot count.

Then there is the power that a revolver's frame can provide. A .357 magnum hollow point is a devastating round so there is no need to double tap if you use judicious marksmanship. It IS almost like using a different skill set that requires more patience and skill to be effective.

Touché!
Every type of gun has a different type of feel/style..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

it's nowhere near as massive because it is so one sided. but even then, we live under the great equalizer, the nuke, which could put the death toll in the millions, and we are facing an enemy who in one day killed over 3,000 Americans.

and I am not even counting all the nice little other NBC stuff that folks have.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If we're going to post car pictures, fellas, let's do it right for goodness sakes! ^_^

Dodge+Challenger+1970.jpg

2012-Dodge-Challenger-SRT8-392-Yellow-Jacket-g10104.jpg

The other ones given were pretty good, I thought - but mad props for these as well. The purpose one is slamming...:cool::clap:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Is that related to today with the ways guns are being restricted? Interestingly enough, you don't hear a lot of gun related crimes done by females - even though women are also known to do violent crimes toward men.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You have the Spartans whose society had a whole class of laborers simply so that male Spartans could be bred in the art of war and devote their entire lives to military service. It would seem that in antiquity when one nation fought another, often the entire able-bodied male population was involved (with obvious exceptions). Today there are systems that govern most nation's military conscription or enlistment.

I often wonder on the male dynamic in regards to how much emphasis was placed on the men...and I say that in light of the role women played in history.

Many seem to have a sharp issue with the concept of female warriors and how other ages in history were very much familar with them - and there are indeed many:

The Roman army used auxiliaries of all sorts, but among them were numeri ("numbers" singular: numerus), irregular units of non-Romans using their own weapons, tactics and leaders...and that is interesting to consider in light of how the remains of two Amazon warriors were found in Brougham in Cumbria, Britain, during the 1960's but not identified as such for 40 years, as archeological technology caught up. THE remains of two Amazon warriors serving with the Roman army in Britain were re-examined back in 2004 in a cemetery that has astonished archaeologists. Women soldiers were previously unknown in the Roman army in Britain and the find at Brougham in Cumbria will force a reappraisal of their role in 3rd-century society.

Amazons. Female warriors. Nothing to do with the river in South America of course, but warriors from a stretch of the Danube where Greek legend held that the legendary Amazons came from. As another noted best:
"One of the sets of women warrior’s remains were found with the burnt remnants of animals. Bone veneer, used to decorate boxes, was also found alongside evidence of a sword scabbard and red pottery. The possessions suggest that she was of high status and her age has been estimated at between 20 and 40 years old. The other woman, thought to be between 21 and 45, was buried with a silver bowl, a sword scabbard, bone veneer and ivory."

For further review, one can go to Secrets of the Dead: Amazon Warrior Women - Iowa Public Television (PBS) and SECRETS OF THE DEAD . Amazon Warrior Women
The materials are dated to the 3
rd century and thus would have been in the service of the late Roman army which looked quite different to "Hollywood" Romans. By this time there was scale armour, trousers, long-sleeved tunics, boots (not sandals), swords carried on the left, and oval shields.

Some of that may seem shocking to others - but I am not surprised in light of the warrior culture of women that was a big deal in antiquity. And with the ancient Mongol empire, it was often the case that you had women known to be very harsh warriors (more here and here/ here/here).

The history of female leaders and warriors in history (more here ) is fascianting when considering how much they led the way - with Women allowed in the front lines of combat before historically - even leading others into combat and winning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0