OT: Look who's joining the Avengers next movies!

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was not happy with the Avengers film last summer. I made it pretty clear that I am a big Avengers comic book fan, and that I had high hopes for the movie. But I felt it turned out flat. It wasn't awful, but wasn't good either. I read the old comics with my 3 children all the time, so they're Avengers fans who know the "real" stories. They were very bummed that certain people like Ant Man, Wasp, and a few others weren't in the movie. This article is sure to perk my kids up. Just wondering what you comic fans thought about this?

‘Ant-Man’ and ‘Doctor Strange’ will lead the charge for Marvel’s Phase Three | Movie Talk - Yahoo! Movies

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have no idea. But I do wear glasses! LOL...I had to start wearing them in kindergarten, then they corrected themselves. I was fine until my freshman year....then I had to start again....

Just curious, Joseph.

When I was a youth, my eye doctor told my mom that reading comics was bad for vision, so I was forbidden to read them.

Is there any truth to that claim? Or was it an old wive's tale?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was not happy with the Avengers film last summer. I made it pretty clear that I am a big Avengers comic book fan, and that I had high hopes for the movie. But I felt it turned out flat. It wasn't awful, but wasn't good either. I read the old comics with my 3 children all the time, so they're Avengers fans who know the "real" stories. They were very bummed that certain people like Ant Man, Wasp, and a few others weren't in the movie. This article is sure to perk my kids up. Just wondering what you comic fans thought about this?

‘Ant-Man’ and ‘Doctor Strange’ will lead the charge for Marvel’s Phase Three | Movie Talk - Yahoo! Movies

Sadly, as said before, I think their decision to go with Ant-Man and Dr.Strange is a reflection on how they don't have enough guts to actually be consistent with the comics and bring in the characters who helped to make Avengers what it was.....for although I love Dr.Strange, I think there were better characters to pick besides Ant-Man and Black Panther would've been perfect.

It really bothers me that many people in Marvel are very afraid of actually making a Black Panther movie---especially considering how much the series was very direct in discussing the corruptions of WESTERN culture. There was an excellent article on that as seen here in Marvel’s Fear of a Black Panther and Superheroes as Critiques.

When Black Panther came out, it was around the time when there were not many Black Superheros in existence who others felt they could look up to...and having one as Afro-centric as he was seemed very radical. The first black superhero in mainstream American comics NEEDS to have a movie....for T'Challa, who was long the leader of the African nation of Wakanda, is one of Marvel Comics' most significant black superhero characters. ..for in addition to his role as a superhero, a member of the Avengers, and the leader of his nation, T'Challa is also the leader of the Black Panther Cult, his ancestral religious group...The Black Panther is one of a very small number of mainstream superheroes who serves as a religious leader.

I liked the last Avengers Film even though I didn't think it was flawless - but seriously, they better start reflecting what the Avengers was actually about if it's gonna to mean something.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For me, the problem with the Avengers movie WAS the story. It lacked depth, surprises, a solid badguy, and there was precious little interesting or fun interaction between the characters. It was a flat acting performance by pretty much everyone. Where Tony Stark was complicated and, though sarcastic and narcissistic in the Iron Man movies, he had a lot of heart and love for people. In the Avengers, he was basically just an annoying jerk with nothing good to say, self-absorbed. In Thor, the movie, Thor went from a foolish thuggish brute who leaps before he thinks, he learns to love and learns to care as well as think about what is important. In the Avengers, he does nothing important. He isn't fun anymore or interesting, just flat. Hawkeye was NOTHING like the comics. In the comics he is brash, arrogant, big-mouthed, and a punk who challenges Cap over and over for leadership of the Avengers. In the movie, he's quiet and uninteresting. Black Widow was pretty bland. Honestly, the best performances were from Ruffalo as Bruce and again by Chris Evans, who made Cap come alive.

I thought the overall story was uninteresting and yet another Loki chapter was not something marvelous to behold. He was flat like everything else.

I went to this movie, walked out, and just shook my head. My kids didn't care much for it either.

Then weeks later we went to see The Dark Knight Rises---TOTAL OPPOSITE. The film had depth, a message, incredible performances by Anne Hathaway (an actress I normally don't dig much), a strong arc between previous movies, themes of vulture capitalism and overcoming odds, themes of wanting to start over and make past mistakes right, revenge, the past coming back to haunt us, and Tom Hardy's Bane as well as the addition of Joseph Godon-Levitt, wow, that movie was not only thrilling, but it had political and social messages. It had a menacing tone and feel. It had a better musical score, and it had a human story.

I'd give Avengers 5 stars at best out of 10. I'd give DKR 9 without hesitation.

Avengers felt thrown together and forced. And the characters didn't interact like they should've.

And yes, they weren't like the comics.

I'm not looking forward to the second one, but I do hope they actually write a script this time rather than an all-out world war III fight in the city shoot 'em-up. Maybe most FX-starved Americans dig that, but not me.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So not to derail the thread, but of all the comic movies coming out this year, which one looks the best to you?

I'm a ginormous Thor fan so I'm chomping at the bit for The Dark World, but I think I'm equally stoked for Man of Steel.

Upvote 0

ThunderTongue

Jan 20, 2013
✟15,506.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Big Fudge said:
So not to derail the thread, but of all the comic movies coming out this year, which one looks the best to you?

I'm a ginormous Thor fan so I'm chomping at the bit for The Dark World, but I think I'm equally stoked for Man of Steel.

Not an insult, but your pic reminds me of Serg Tankian from system of a down

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not an insult, but your pic reminds me of Serg Tankian from system of a down

Haha, you're kidding?!

I must have had a... disorder... when I chose it. Seriously though... that makes me sad, I love Bilbo. :p

Upvote 0

Crandaddy

Classical Theist
Aug 8, 2012
✟21,142.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm glad to see that some of the other Avengers besides Iron Man are getting sequels, but where's Hulk's sequel? Seems to me he should get a sequel if he's gonna be in Avengers 2.

Don't know. Man of Steel, maybe. I didn't especially like Thor (the film). It's my least favorite of all the solo Avenger films.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. And though I felt Ruffalo did a great job in Avengers, I'm one of the minority of people who preferred Ed Norton as Bruce.

I'm glad to see that some of the other Avengers besides Iron Man are getting sequels, but where's Hulk's sequel? Seems to me he should get a sequel if he's gonna be in Avengers 2.

Don't know. Man of Steel, maybe. I didn't especially like Thor (the film). It's my least favorite of all the solo Avenger films.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Man of Steel, bar none. That one I'm looking forward to THE MOST! I'm wondering even more about the General Zod character and how they'll treat that. So far the casting sounds great, the trailers look solid, and the fact that Chrstopher Nolan is involved makes it sound hopeful.

I wonder if Chris Nolan had done Avengers and had his hands (along with his brother's!) deep into that script how much better it would've turned out!?

One character I've heard speculation about rebooting, and he was one of my VERY favorite superheroes as a kid, was DAREDEVIL! I adored him growing up. They didn't do that hot a job with him in the Affleck incarnation, so I heard they'll reboot. I wish they'd get away from Avengers and just go to rebooting Fantastic 4 and DD! Daredevil was a complicated hero....a vigilante with a dark side, but a strong sense of justice. He had a complex mindset. I loved the comics. I actually thought DD was ok. In honesty, I disliked Avengers enough that I'd take DD with Affleck anyday over it.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I think that the overall plot wasn't developed as much as it could have been in Thor, especially when Thor was on Earth. IMHO the Asgard side of the story was quite riveting, but once Thor was exiled to Earth, the story kind of accelerated in a somewhat jarring fashion. At any rate, I'm a huge Anthony Hopkin's fan and I really enjoyed how he and the others portrayed the Asgardians. Whenever I watch the film I relish the scenes on Asgard the most because the dialogue is more "Shakespearian". It may have been a little pretentious on the part of some of the actors, but it was quite natural for Hopkins, and Hiddleston even did a remarkable job (not sure if he has theater experience). I also really appreciated Branagh's directorial style with the film.

I agree. And though I felt Ruffalo did a great job in Avengers, I'm one of the minority of people who preferred Ed Norton as Bruce.

I'm in the same boat, I was very skeptical when I heard Ruffalo was cast as Banner since most of the films I've seen him in were of the romantic comedy variety and such. I was very pleasantly surprised though, I'm sure his friendship with Norton helped develop the character to some degree. Going back and watching The Incredible Hulk though I really did appreciate Norton's portrayal more, it's too bad they didn't reach an agreement to cast him.

Also, I thought any hope for another solo Hulk film was scrapped? That "rumor" may have something to do with the fact that Marvel is on their third actor portraying Banner, so filming another Hulk film may be a bit odd. Unless they can nail Ruffalo down for more than just Avengers pictures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought Ruffalo was a lock to do the Hulk for some time to come?

Mark Ruffalo gets green light to play Hulk in six-movie deal | Film | guardian.co.uk

I think that the overall plot wasn't developed as much as it could have been in Thor, especially when Thor was on Earth. IMHO the Asgard side of the story was quite riveting, but once Thor was exiled to Earth, the story kind of accelerated in a somewhat jarring fashion. At any rate, I'm a huge Anthony Hopkin's fan and I really enjoyed how he and the others portrayed the Asgardians. Whenever I watch the film I relish the scenes on Asgard the most because the dialogue is more "Shakespearian". It may have been a little pretentious on the part of some of the actors, but it was quite natural for Hopkins, and Hiddleston even did a remarkable job (not sure if he has theater experience). I also really appreciated Branagh's directorial style with the film.

I'm in the same boat, I was very skeptical when I heard Ruffalo was cast as Banner since most of the films I've seen him in were of the romantic comedy variety and such. I was very pleasantly surprised though, I'm sure his friendship with Norton helped develop the character to some degree. Going back and watching The Incredible Hulk though I really did appreciate Norton's portrayal more, it's too bad they didn't reach an agreement to cast him.

Also, I thought any hope for another solo Hulk film was scrapped? That "rumor" may have something to do with the fact that Marvel is on their third actor portraying Banner, so filming another Hulk film may be a bit odd. Unless they can nail Ruffalo down for more than just Avengers pictures.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
personally, I hope to get some War Machine action in the sequel, and I'd like for Nick Fury to kick a little alien buttocks as well.

we shall see.
Samuel L.Jackson rocked it as Nick Fury. Best portrayal I've seen

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a big fan of Samuel L. I actually have to say, though, that he "rocked it" more in the other Marvel flicks at the tail end of the movies than he did in the actual Avengers film. And that wasn't his fault. He wasn't given enough screen time and I think the script was weak. It fell flat. But he always has the PRESENCE to pull things off. Again, I don't like this movie. But I like Sam L.

Personally, if I were to cast this movie, there are only a few people I'd keep: Samuel L, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr. I'd replace the rest most likely, ESPECIALLY LOKI....

But then again, I'd probably replace the Star Wars prequels as well! LOL...first with Leonardo DiCaprio as Anakin (back then of course), and someone like Jennifer Lawrence or Hayley Atwell as Padme. ^_^

Gxg (G²);62276033 said:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm a big fan of Samuel L. I actually have to say, though, that he "rocked it" more in the other Marvel flicks at the tail end of the movies than he did in the actual Avengers film. And that wasn't his fault. He wasn't given enough screen time and I think the script was weak. It fell flat. But he always has the PRESENCE to pull things off. Again, I don't like this movie. But I like Sam L.

Personally, if I were to cast this movie, there are only a few people I'd keep: Samuel L, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr. I'd replace the rest most likely, ESPECIALLY LOKI....

But then again, I'd probably replace the Star Wars prequels as well! LOL...first with Leonardo DiCaprio as Anakin (back then of course), and someone like Jennifer Lawrence or Hayley Atwell as Padme. ^_^
Truthfully, I actually thought the plot was decent - although not every character was well developed. The Hulk seemed to be developed better than other incarnations and I just liked it for entertainment purposes - but Nick Fury held it together. His dialouges were always crisp and just cool.

Will always have love for Loki, as the actor was perfect for the role. Didn't really dig IronMan - or Thor. At times it felt a bit rushed like there was so much they wanted to get in - but Captain America was probably the most flawless one present. Black Widow - you either love her or you hate her - and reading the comics, I felt she was a good job/presentation. :)

The StarWars prequels needed to be done away with and are on a different level than Avengers. Hated Episode 1 with a passion - and dug parts of the Clone Wars (although I was more so into the comic series/cartoons on the matter that expanded things - very intriguing and good plots/character developments ) - and I actually cracked up a number of times in "Revenge of the Sith" alongside the audience at certain parts.

Upvote 0

Crandaddy

Classical Theist
Aug 8, 2012
✟21,142.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

My sentiments exactly.

I think one big problem I had was that the contrast of Thor's highfalutin, "Shakespearean" as you say, manner of speech and conduct with that of the common American earthlings made it difficult for me to take the film seriously.

Gxg (G²);62276033 said:

What role doesn't Sam Jackson rock? :D

Upvote 0