Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, with all the polemical, argumentative, invasive and pretty much hostile posting lately, I would like everyone's attention to consider a few things (yes, the arguing Roman Catholics are included in this as well - you know who you are)

We are not perfect. We're human, we sin, we kinda suck. We attempt to be better via the tools which the Lord and the Church have given us. Things like repentance, Confession, prayer, and feasts that are awesome to celebrate. All things considered, we've not all been good to each other the last few weeks. Sure, there was a fast of some kind; I'm not sure which one since I'm a bit off my liturgical calendar this month (I think the Old Calendar is still on it?), but that is hardly an excuse.

It seems to me, that maybe subconsciously we're allowing the problems in the world to manifest themselves here. Three horrible shootings in the last two days (Lord have mercy!) resulting in the deaths of, last I counted seven souls (memory eternal), in horrific ways. There is a religious war going on, the devastation of which has not been seen in the Middle East since Tamerlane killed roughly 80% of the the Christian population from Iraq to China, most of whom were members of the Assyrian Churches.
And yet here we are. Most of us mostly comfortable and secure in a Western country where we have the freedom not only to worship in peace, but also to be picky about which parish. Sometimes, believe me, we don't even get that choice.

I guess what I'm getting at here, is that considering all the outright evil in the world which one would rather be upset about, what has happened to TAW? I've been a member of this forum almost as long as I've been Orthodox having joined it in 2006 as a sixteen year-old recently-converted teenager looking for fellow Orthodox Christians to talk to and socialize with since my part of Washington state was not in large supply outside of my parish at the time, and still isn't. Yet, the last few weeks have been the first time in eight years since this site went through a secular phase back in 2007/08 when I legitimately sat down and asked myself, "why do I still post here"?

If it was not for our prodigal son Justin's appearance I probably would have simply logged off one day and never returned. If it wasn't for an ex-Orthodox poster who has reappeared here again and again with a new screen name each time than I would have disappeared. The Orthodox community of Christian forums used to actually attract converts and was know for its level-headedness, articulation of the Faith and unending patience. Most of that did not apply for the last few weeks. I also decided to stay, because I remembered a quote from Edmund Burke, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So, I guess all that I'm really saying is that we need the spirit of The Ancient Way, which we were known for, to return. It has lost its strength for some time and seems to have disappeared. I know what I will do on my end to do better. Please, the rest of you, find a way. If it means saying a quick Our Father upon logging on, I don't care, just, please, find a way to do better here.

In the mean time, for our Christian brothers and sisters in the Middle East who are suffering under the so-called "Islamic State", I'd like to share the Arabic version of "Rejoice O Unwedded Bride".

For dzheremi, our Coptic brother whose presence is always appreciated, I'd like to share the Armenian video linked in his signature:

For our Roman Catholic guests that got a bit nasty in our home, a reminder to relax with the "Sister Act" version of "Hail Holy Queen" (look on Dame Maggie Smith's face is priceless!)

For everyone else needing a reminder on how to have a religious sense of humor, Monty Python:

Thank you, have a pleasant day, and God be with you.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,288,370.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
GOODNESS ME !

EC have I really been here a few months longer than you ?

Actually - I can echo what you have said - TAW has changed - a LOT and not always for the better I fear.

The dynamics have changed.

Please can we get back to the older , friendlier version ? I remember the little competitions to 'finish off ' the Taverna . [ we don't have to do that now ]

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've been here what - less than three years?

When I first came, people were talking about how it used to be. Soon after I arrived, I noticed people I really appreciated posts from disappeared. And it has continued.

There are still a good many here (thank God!) whose posts are very beneficial, and I really appreciate you all. Pretty much all of you are on my prayer list.

My parish is full of wonderful people, but it is nearly an hour's drive. They all live in another city, and I don't see them outside of Church really. My husband is not Orthodox, and it does get a little difficult here sometimes, and can be lonely too - especially since I'm off for the summer and except for this barrage of doctor's appointments (which have slowed down and I'm more in a "hurry up and wait mode") ...

Well, I'm very thankful for TAW. But at the same time, it has changed and is changing. The last few weeks HAVE been discouraging.

I try to think myself what I can do. I had an idea for a thread, but I haven't followed through. I should do that. And really, I should be praying for TAW itself at the same time as I pray for my parish.

I appreciate your call to action here, EC. And I hope folks can follow through - I'm sure you all have great ideas.

Maybe - at least for now - we would do well to be a little more protective of our space. I really questioned how far to let recent threads go. I know we tend to hospitality, but I worry too for new posters or even lurkers we might not even know about. I know I met someone several months ago who visited our parish, a catechumen who was received at Pascha, and we've gotten to be friends over FB. I sent her a link to join TAW, but she decided not to (I think we were in a rough spot then too, and I told her that).

But really, I worry that folks won't want to be here. And where else is there? I joined Monachos, but the auto link to confirm is broken and I can't get in. It's near dead anyway. And I left the other Orthodox forum I used to post in. Some great folks were there too (and a few I recognized from here) but when I left it was about 19 bad posts to wade through to find one worthwhile reply.

Anyway. I hope we can turn things around a bit. I keep hearing the ringing in my head of that verse that talks about the end times and the love of many growing cold. (Sorry, yes, I was a Protestant almost all my life ;) ). But whether that is now or not, I just want to do all we can to feed the love for one another as much as possible, and not slip further into isolation in this increasingly secular society.

Besides, I have THIS FORUM to thank almost exclusively for bringing me to Orthodoxy.

God be with you all. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Overall we generally are, and we've had ups and downs (it has been briefly worse for periods in the past, and recovered).

The dwindling of posters is what bothers me more. I've been reading through very old posts at times lately. Sometimes I miss folks I never met ...

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of good posters who aren't still here, but we have a really good core group of people still here. That said, I appreciate the important reminder, EC! TAW was critical to me becoming Orthodox - and I hope we can be a witness to others as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If that's true, then perhaps I have to offer my thoughts on what has made this place great in the past. I might assemble my thoughts later, but a large part of it was an awareness that what we're saying is going to be seen by a lot of people whose first (and hopefully not last) encounter with Orthodoxy may be this message board, and therefore to avoid controversy and acrimony - that isn't to say we couldn't go over topics that we disagree on, but care was taken to avoid scandalizing people. I would also say that politics were generally not under discussion for this reason.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wait - am I the guy who's been here the longest?
When did you start? I think I had a few sporadic threads in 2005, but 2006 is when I started asking more questions. What year did you join?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just checked and I was wrong...I started in 2004. That's the year that a TAW member (not a regular poster) saw that I was looking for an Orthodox church - and invited me to visit the parish that soon became my home :) Unknown to her, her husband was my teacher in college who introduced me to Orthodoxy in the first place!

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Looking back on history, the only thing I'm reminded of is a quote from a wise Russian fellow I encountered a long time ago: "Normal, well-balanced people don't post on web-logs." It's possible I am an exception after all these years. But, I doubt it.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.