Osteen family criticized for doing 'Hook Em Horns' sign

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Talk about non-news. Who cares? Their son just graduated from Univ of Texas...so what if they showed support for that school by flashing their hand sign. It means nothing but "Go Longhorns". That and the Texas A&M "Gig'm Aggies" handsigns are common culture in Texas.

People are too hypersensitive....and must have way too much time on their hands if they are focused on this instead of the son's accomplishment of finishing college.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can think of a lot of things more problematic than that.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A whole lotta churchfolk in Texas do the horns thing.

In Texas, more things than the Devil have horns.

(And, of course, the Devil doesn't actually have horns, so Christian pearl-clutching over the issue is just silly at its base.)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In some cultures that hand gesture is actually used for giving or warding off the evil eye.

As far as I know it might be a gang sign somewhere.

Don't do a "thumbs up" in some places or you might get punched. Don't do a peace sign in some places or you might get punched.

I personally tend to avoid hand signs because you don't necessarily know what they mean to everyone around you.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I invented this card game, it's gonna be a million seller. It's called "Indignayshun". There's this massive deck of cards, like more than 52, like all stacked up they could fill your bathroom, and each card has printed on it some meaningless, unimportant thing, like "Grass is green" or "Somebody likes pasta". You draw a card and you get to have your feelings hurt and get all worked up and whine about the topic on the card. It's an excellent game for teaching kids how to be victims, and will also exercise their creativity, because, it may be challenging to make a connection as to why the fact that there aren't enough triangle shaped cookies is a legacy of our oppressive Eurocentrism, but as we see in real life, such things are difficult, not impossible. As for winning, as in life there's luck involved. Out of all the cards, one card has nothing on it but an image of a young girl wearing a crown. If you draw this card, you're the Drama Queen and you're the winner, and the other players have to call you Your Majesty for the rest of the day. (Unless they are offended by the idea of repressive monarchy, in which case they also have the option of putting you to the guillotine. There are no sore losers in this game, only justice.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In some cultures that hand gesture is actually used for giving or warding off the evil eye.

In fact, that's how it gained popularity in the metal scene. Ronnie James Dio wanted an iconic hand gesture to use when he became lead singer for Black Sabbath, since Ozzie Osbourne was well known for flashing the peace sign, but he didn't want to use the same sign as Ozzie. Dio eventually settled on a sign that he had seen his (Italian) grandmother to use to ward off the evil eye, and the rest is history.

Upvote 0