Orthodoxy is good but what about others?

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,191.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Only one religion comes from God...

Christianity.

Different denomination are contained within that.

As for 'the' one. The true 'one', can be like opening a can of worms as we all believe we are members of the true denomination.

If you are trying to decide which one to follow then my advice is to pray about it. Do your research. Take your time. Open up your heart to God.

God bless you

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We know all religions come from God, because it is written, if it is not from God it will not stay.
Then why some says one religion is better than other? How you defend your religion as best one sect of Christianity?

Orthodoxy is the easiest to defend. The Orthodox Church is the Church founded by Jesus Christ and still remains. Not under new management, not following some person who had some idea or another at some later time. All the books of the new testament were written by the Orthodox Church. All those Churches mentioned in it, Thessoloniki, Ephesus, Phillipi, Corinth, Sardis, Philadelphia, etc., still remain.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Orthodox Christianity is the apostolic faith. Certainly there are true Christians among Catholics & Protestants and as people, none of us better or worse.

I believe our church should do more to reach other Christians who still believe the faith stated in creeds like the Nicene & Apostles and in the fear of the Lord & keeping His commandments. I believe there are many no longer being preached that faith to in some non Orthodox communions.

As for non Christians, I always believe God judges in His mercy & justice in ways beyond my understanding but much of which is explained by St. Paul in Romans 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We know all religions come from God, because it is written, if it is not from God it will not stay.
Then why some says one religion is better than other? How you defend your religion as best one sect of Christianity?
Where does it say all religions come from God?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Not to turn this into a Bible quote fight, but it is also written that God causes His sun to rise upon the evil and the good, and sends rain upon the just and the unjust (Matthew 5:45). So something existing is a very low bar.

I'm going to imagine for the sake of argument (and because I've talked to enough of them to get a sense of this kind of thing) that the EO reject any such idea that they are a 'sect' of Christianity to begin with. There's the Church and not-the-Church, and as I've heard them say it, they know where the Church is, but not where She is not.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's the Church and not-the-Church, and as I've heard them say it, they know where the Church is, but not where She is not.

not to nit pick, but I do think we can say where she is not. what we can’t say is who will be in her in the end.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟426,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
not to nit pick, but I do think we can say where she is not. what we can’t say is who will be in her in the end.

Yes. My apologies; that is the context in which that saying is said. Obviously you can list all the parishes in a given diocese or jurisdiction, and/or all the people in a given parish, so in that sense, it can be and is definitively known.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes. My apologies; that is the context in which that saying is said. Obviously you can list all the parishes in a given diocese or jurisdiction, and/or all the people in a given parish, so in that sense, it can be and is definitively known.

yeah, and again, forgive the nit picking. it just can open the door to invisible church nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew.H

Mar 30, 2022
Rome
✟33,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced

I think I heard this in an interview with a priest, but one revision of that statement would be to say
"we know where the holy spirit is but not where the holy spirit isn't."

Always thought that was a better statement to make, still not perfect but I wouldn't expect there to be a perfect one.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think I heard this in an interview with a priest, but one revision of that statement would be to say
"we know where the holy spirit is but not where the holy spirit isn't."

Always thought that was a better statement to make, still not perfect but I wouldn't expect there to be a perfect one.

well, we do know the Spirit is everywhere present filling all things. we just don’t know how He is acting on any one person.

but you are right, that is better I think.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy is consistent with history.

Which is exactly why I finally arrived Home in the Church after a long, loooooooong, search!

Reactions: Melista
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"There is no salvation outside the Church."

Orthodox Christianity is the Christianity of the Apostles, their successors, their scuessors' successors, up into the present. So, it seems to me a big deal to be Orthodox.

yep. not the closest to Christ’s Church, Orthodoxy IS Christ’s Church.

Upvote 0