• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Orthodoxy by Paul Evdokimov

Discussion in 'St. Athanasius Chapel and Reference Library' started by Danpol, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Danpol

Danpol New Member

+0
    Poland
    Other Religion
    Private
    Can someone supply me with a quotation from Paul Evdokimov's book Orthodoxy? It's only a few lines, from somewhere around page 35. I need the exact words used in the English edition.
    MTIA

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,732
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don't have that book, but I wanted to say, welcome to CF and to TAW!

This subforum area isn't terribly active, so if you don't get your reply (or need it quickly) ... you might post in TAW.

If no one here knows, I will try to find out for you.

What is the gist of the quote, do they know what they are looking for?

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+12,163
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am by a Monastery bookstore, so I'll sniff around

4. Danpol

Danpol New Member

+0
    Poland
    Other Religion
    Private
    Thank you for your welcome.
    The gist of the quote is as follows:

the Greeks often displayed great naivety in adopting an approach that while pragmatic was for that very reason inconsistent, and that their appeal to the pope in the West was a natural means to find an independent and external arbiter to obtain mediation, but it was done only to resolve a single particular difficulty, and when the situation changed they lost interest

If you can find out for me, I will be very grateful.

5. ~Anastasia~

+15,732
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    LOL, now you've got me wondering at the background info, because it doesn't sound quite right. But I'll sit back and wait, to see if Matt can find it. :)

6. Virgil the Roman

Virgil the Roman Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .

+1,204
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-American-Solidarity
    Probably better off not knowing. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  7. ~Anastasia~

+15,732
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I will say this ... I've learned not to worry. Early on I did, when I would hear things that seemed contradictory or not right or whatever.

After having chased many to their source or understanding - I have learned my worry was always misplaced. It can be worth knowing, in case someone else asks. But I have peace knowing that I need not fear anything anyone said and trusting the Church. :)