• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Orthodoxy by Chesterson

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by YCGP, May 15, 2019 at 9:34 PM.

1. YCGP

YCGP Active Member

+120
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Is "Orthodoxy| by Chesterson a good read? I downloaded it but I want to hear some feedback before diving in.

PS... what would God think of something like this... I have an exam coming up but instead of studying for it I am learning about the faith.

Thanks.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,134
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Do keep in mind that Chesterton's book is not exactly about Chalcedonian Orthodoxy ("TAW Orthodoxy") but rather is about the beliefs expressed in the Apostles' Creed (which we EO have never used much, but with the tenets of which we do not, to my knowledge, disagree at all).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. YCGP

YCGP Active Member

+120
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Oh ok.

What would be a good book for TAW stuff?

I already have 'The Orthodox Way'

4. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+480
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    For the Life of the World by Father Alexander Schmemann is a good one in my opinion, and a fairly short read.

5. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 In the Phantom Zone in exile

+5,027
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I smell Rus coming!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,016
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Well, yeah.

You should read Chesterton’s book anyway. One thing I can tell you that he did for me was to make it clear that there is nowhere else to go. That may not mean so much early on, but as time goes on and you learn how messed up the Church is, you might be tempted to leave. That’s where GK comes in, showing just HOW it is that the Faith is true, even on the terms of its enemies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Shane R

Shane R Priest

+494
    United States
    Anglican
    Widowed
    It's important to note when Chesterton wrote that tome: he published it while he was still an Anglican. It was some 12 years later when he entered the RCC. It is considered a classic by traditional Anglicans but I've never been able to finish it. His literary style does little for me and I find the work a bore.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,590
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yes, you should read Chesterton.

9. -Sasha-

-Sasha- Handmaid of God

+181
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It was one of the first books I read when I started delving into Christianity. I'd recommend it!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 In the Phantom Zone in exile

+5,027
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I’ve read the book...and I was just kidding about you. ^_^

11. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,016
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think the fault is not in his personal style, but in our modern educations. He was an incredibly popular journalist across the entire English-speaking world in his time, and he himself was mobbed by reporters when he came to our shores. We are not used to having to really THINK when we read; it is as if all our lives we ate only Farina, and somebody suddenly slipped us granola out of the blue.

Not saying anything about you, or any particular person, but Shakespeare is incredibly boring to elementary school children - but the problem is not in Shakespeare. A writer MAY be a poor writer, but the evidence that Chesterton was widely understood and appreciated, not by a narrow elite, but by large numbers of ordinary people, is overwhelming. A person who doesn’t get Chesterton just hasn’t gotten him... yet. When you do, you suddenly discover that he is not in the least boring. So my advice would be to pick him up again in five years and try again. Over time, our own eyes change, what we see and understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+1,751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think he would probably say something about reaping what you sow; if you don't invest in studying for the exam, you won't magically do well on it. "Don't be deceived - even birds must flap their wings if they want to fly" ;)

13. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+14,659
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yes, a great read. It was mind-expanding for me, and helped lead me to the right way.

14. YCGP

YCGP Active Member

+120
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Great guys thanks. Ill give it a read.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List