USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think Orthodox on the whole do a good job being welcoming to people of all races. Orthodox have more racial diversity than my own church, which is overwhelmingly white. Mind you, we aren't unwelcoming, and my own congregation is more diverse than average, but we have a lousy time with evangelism in general, so we are a bit of an ethnic ghetto (if you want "northern European" culture, we have it in spades. But its nowhere near as resentful as the alt-right's take on what that means).

One of my favorite Orthodox saints was Moses of the Black. He's a good saint to have in your corner.
I don't doubt that the OC is welcoming. But the question in my mind is "how does it look to a white person inclined to believe in a pernicious and incoherent racist ideology?"

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't doubt that the OC is welcoming. But the question in my mind is "how does it look to a white person inclined to believe in a pernicious and incoherent racist ideology?"

I think it depends on the priest, but on the whole I think it would be seen as something that excommunicates you from the sacraments.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Our parish would probably look kinda' brown.

( we have a diverse population with many of middle eastern/Greek ancestry, as well as black and white American converts and families from Egypt)

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on the priest, but on the whole I think it would be seen as something that excommunicates you from the sacraments.
I just meant "how does the OC look to an inquirer who is likely to fold their first impression into their paranoid 'us and them' worldview?"

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our parish would probably look kinda' brown.

( we have a diverse population with many of middle eastern/Greek ancestry, as well as black and white American converts and families from Egypt)
I'm guessing you don't have a problem with this, then. Is this an OCA parish?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm guessing you don't have a problem with this, then. Is this an OCA parish?
I read the article almost drop jawed, because I've never encountered anything remotely like that in our parish.
We're Greek Orthodox (GOARCH).

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I just meant "how does the OC look to an inquirer who is likely to fold their first impression into their paranoid 'us and them' worldview?"

Early on in Orthodoxy I had a bit of that attitude. Not so much about whiteness, but general mildly rebellious attitudes and a sense of alienation from the wider culture. I've always been a square peg in a round hole (not surprising as I have high functioning autism, but I didn't know that at the time). Orthodoxy promises a way to be Christian that is different. And the vagueness and mysticism can be a fertile playground for ones own romantic imagination.

So I can see how that could be very alluring to somebody prone to black and white thinking about the world.

I don't think its a coincidence Continuing Anglicans can attract the same sort of black-and-white thinking types of people. There is tonnes of space for romanticism within Anglicanism.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I just brought it up as an issue because I think the disturbing thing is how persistent this ideology is after all these decades, how it keeps surviving, but it's becoming more sophisticated to try to hide what it is.

In reality, we are probably naive to think its something that would just disappear with a few Supreme Court rulings, government programs, and a pinch of goodwill. That's overestimating the human condition.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just brought it up as an issue because I think the disturbing thing is how persistent this ideology is after all these decades, how it keeps surviving, but it's becoming more sophisticated to try to hide what it is.

In reality, we are probably naive to think its something that would just disappear with a few Supreme Court rulings, government programs, and a pinch of goodwill. That's overestimating the human condition.
That's as lucid a take as I've heard in a while.

The color line in the US is a sin and a shame. When I was in college it was plain as day. Doesn't mean there hasn't been some improvment. But not nearly enough.

And I guess it's unavoidable that with interest in Orthodoxy on the rise, people who hold such beliefs will be among those interested, and will see the OC through their lens.

May God lead them and all of us (who suffer from the same or other delusions) to the Truth.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a little late to the game in responding on this thread. I was reminded this past week that there are really decent Orthodox believers inside of the parish where this was centralized in TN. It seems that something is being done in that parish, but rather quietly. Some of the TWP people have left.
I am one for the whole "throw the hammer down on them Vladyka (Bishop)" but, again, there are good people who are a part of said parish. To bring national attention to a speck in the grander Orthodox picture would have been harmful to several of the faithful.
Although we may be willing to be a martyr for the cause, let us be mindful not to volunteer others.

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little late to the game in responding on this thread. I was reminded this past week that there are really decent Orthodox believers inside of the parish where this was centralized in TN. It seems that something is being done in that parish, but rather quietly. Some of the TWP people have left.
I am one for the whole "throw the hammer down on them Vladyka (Bishop)" but, again, there are good people who are a part of said parish. To bring national attention to a speck in the grander Orthodox picture would have been harmful to several of the faithful.
Although we may be willing to be a martyr for the cause, let us be mindful not to volunteer others.
I think that's a good point.

We recognize that any time humans are involved, there will be problems. The Apostles dealt with a range of problems. But there's no benefit to throwing a spotlight on it and raising a big fuss. All that does is shake the faith of weaker brethren and give outsiders a reason to mock. Let those who are responsible handle it, as long as they are doing so. And Orthodoxy has a really good track record of handling things - just carefully so as not to damage the wheat along with tares that might have to be rooted out or managed otherwise.

I think that's something to consider in all of these cases.

Upvote 0