Orthodoxy and Revolutions: Can Priests/Orthodox leader be linked to Social Change in Radical Ways

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"I would stop even if I made the thread."

Or, one could perhaps change they way they make their posts rather than pointing out mistakes others have made, or point out a once time occurrence, and then refuse to change anything about oneself.
Of course, one can actually listen to others saying they were already fine with how the posts were, just as others were not good with yours but had maturity to walk out what St. Paul noted in Romans 14. Plenty of changes were already made so it is falsehood (not a good thing) to even try proclaiming people don't change things about yourself.

Focusing on ourselves is what God asks for:

quote-he-who-busies-himself-with-the-sins-of-others-or-judges-his-brother-on-suspicion-has-maximus-the-confessor-101-66-79.jpg

If has already been stated that not all (or most, for that matter) read or follow what you say as they don't care for the style OR tone. This is in spite of the fact that others may prefer it. This is normal since that is the nature of being in an online forum with people from all over.

It's the same here. I've already interacted with multiple people in Orthodoxy before on the issue of posting (including adjusting) since long before you got here. From Ortho_Cat in our discussions to Dorothea (whenever we've gone over several issues) to All4Christ on many occasions to Thekla and many others when it comes to not worrying about posting since they've consistently followed and we all keep up with one another online/offline - and they've already spoken before openly here (noting multiple times where they actually focused on postings you insisted had to be changed - be it here, here or here , here , here or here for quick examples).

As it is, again, it is already consistently inconsistent on your part speaking on changing/refusal since you alone were the one trying to speak on mistake. It was intentionally avoiding the OP subject to go off-topic and essentially attempt to hijack a thread, despite where others honored the subject and stayed focused.

Speaking on your part about making changes to oneself is not accurate since others have long noted things concerning your actions even though you have noted openly no need to change them and then saying it's fine while still demanding others change (which is petty) and minimize them since it is far from a one time situation. We already had that back in May 28, 2015/several times before and recently in Nov 9, 2015#293 when speaking on others you disagreed with and other moments people got into with you.

Thus, it really is inconsequential as if you're demanding something be changed means that it is somehow an issue needing to be changed when several other posters have long felt differently and spoken out on it if you/others generally bring it up the moment a discussion happens which you already have no desire to address and instead focus on the minutiae.

And there are PLENTY of things I do not really have concern for personally since it's not my style. From the use of sarcasm/quips to anyone disagreeing with you to making incomplete sentences, being quick to react with not understanding cultural idioms when others use them, refusing to not react to anything others say and insist what you feel on their statements is what they mean because you are not aware of their contexts....the list goes on. I don't care to focus on it since that's the reality of bearing with one another (Ephesians 4:1-9) and it is NOT something that serious when I can follow clearly what you're saying just as others have in spite of the lack of perfection.

Ultimately, I don't care to respond since my focus is that I DON'T have to control you or feel the need to do so in order for me to operate. For the Bible calls us to mutual respect and I respect you enough to let you be who you are and simply focus on the people I really enjoy discussing with or understand as easily as they do me. And I am not going to hold you to a standard that is not what I am already living out.

James 5:9
Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.

Matthew 7:1-5

"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

Luke 6:37-42

"Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.

Galatians 5:15
But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.

Philippians 2:14-16
Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain.

James 4:11-12
Do not speak against one another, brethren He who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge of it. There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?

Again, it is not that deep of an issue.

There will always be differences of opinion and that's natural. What is not, of course, is demanding all look like you in the name of your opinion. You've already noted where you are fine with several posting styles others are not prone to. Thus, do not make an expectation of others where you already have not lived that out since it is pretense and that is not something we're called to do.

As said before, if you want to actually address the thread or the subject, then do so. There are plenty of posts by others speaking on the topic here which you could actually address if seriously on honoring the subject (in the event you claim issue with my posts while others do not). Anything outside of addressing the OP is t is off topic and one can walk away if they really are not trying to discuss the topic. If there is insistence on going off topic, that is unfortunate ...but anything further will be taken further up since it is counter to CF when it comes to going intentionally going into threads to share on things that have nothing to do with them. This has already occurred in threads you or others have made and you have requested the same, so what I am asking is not unreasonable. Prayerfully it can be respected.

Blessings :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
twas simply a suggestion considering it has been asked before. I personally like a lot of what you say on here Gxg. and some of us, and myself included, do not think that the Orientals are Orthodox. and the statement for this page listed that this forum is for the faith group (until the site was taken down) are those in the canonical Eastern Orthodox Church and are in communion with our bishops. the Orientals do not.

that said, please post away, cause I do enjoy them

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Or, one could perhaps change they way they make their posts rather than pointing out mistakes others have made, or point out a once time occurrence, and then refuse to change anything about oneself.

not following you here Greg, could you please clarify?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
twas simply a suggestion considering it has been asked before.
Never took it as anything less than a suggestion and I responded with that in mind, brother :), considering where others have already said before it was not necessary to address when a lot was already adjusted for years (especially with regards to length generally being 2 to 3 paragraphs and referencing in leaving a breadcrumb trail via hyper-linking for others to follow/examine sources if they wanted to examine more).

I don't mind suggestions, nor do I mind criticism (Proverbs 18:13, Proverbs 18:15, Provers 18:17, etc.), but if all one chooses to be is critical, that's when I pause and consider how much weight a 'suggestion' carries. No different than one only able to say "You know what your problem is?!!" in any discussion instead of equally saying "I really value how you always bring this to the table" - and those Orthodox showing real concern or having real relationship with me outside of here are the ones who will always have my attention.

I don't nor will I ever write for everyone and those preferring the way I respond are who I keep in mind always. I bear in mind (in the same way others continually insisting upon their suggestions at every opportunity were previously encouraged to be who they were in differing ways) where others have reminded me to be good with where I am since it is appreciated. Some are detailed, visual (i.e learn through picture/art) and like structure akin to allowing footnotes for others to follow your development of thought, while others do not prefer that so much as differing patterns of illustrating their thoughts.

Regardless, it has been stated before by multiple people that it was fine where it was...that they had zero difficulty understanding/following (and that no one here was perfect anyhow in their own grammar since this is an informal discussion board rather than a place for writing like we're doing formal English papers in every exchange ^_^). But more importantly, they have repeatedly noted to me how they recognized bringing up suggestion often seemed to be a bit of a misdirection on the part of others when they wouldn't even address other posters fitting their own suggestion of writing style.

It will always stand out to me that others (here or offline on phone or forums like Facebook) have pointed out to me that trying to nit-pick on grammar or paragraphs when not being as vocal on themselves tends to illustrate a high level of insincerity and gross partiality/bias by going back/doing the same as they critique in others (showing it's really not so much an issue as much as it is an issue when others in disagreement with them do it). This is also illustrated when there's celebrating the writings of others doing the same things they claimed to have issue with as if there's difficulty, illustrating it's really a matter of agreement that tends to make you either more prone to critique or not.

I'd rather be for consistency since I'll read something, regardless of where I'm at, if I want to read - and if I don't, I don't. But I won't bring up an argument on it that isn't consistent since that wouldn't be honoring the Lord.

I've seen others way more in-depth many times - and it can be hard to keep up at points, although I can follow rather easily. Just a quick processor. I just tend to remind myself of how we're all wired to respond differently and keep going. For I'd rather be good letting people be who they are in their differing styles/focus on myself and not grumble:

If there's not consistency, I can never go with that and I'll honor what other Orthodox have encouraged me to be wise on with regards to knowing that God never goes with partiality and contentment being who we are in Christ, all different in our responses and wired to see things uniquely.
personally like a lot of what you say on here Gxg.
Never doubted that for a second, as the sentiment is mutual of course and it's always a pleasure going back and forth :)
And some of us, and myself included, do not think that the Orientals are Orthodox. and the statement for this page listed that this forum is for the faith group (until the site was taken down) are those in the canonical Eastern Orthodox Church and are in communion with our bishops. the Orientals do not.

As it concerns the issue, it's understood that some feel OOs are not Orthodox. That does not, of course, line up with official statements or the practice of what has happened repeatedly in Orthodoxy on both sides, be it EOs taking communion at OO parishes they have family at or vice versa. This is why it cannot ever be claimed with accuracy, no matter how much it is zealously believed that Orientals do not have communion wit canonical Eastern Orthodoxy. As said before, that was already something noted by the leadership at CF on several occasions, including those who identify with the OO Tradition on specific aspects even when going to EO parishes and identifying as such. The statement for the page was never in question since other EO already noted long before the site was taken down that it did not mean other OOs with intercommunion could not be present, especially when speaking with the staff years in advance. In light of the work of the Bishops and the priests for some time, it is not a cut-and-dry issue and others who were on staff have pointed this out when it came to how the statement was interpreted in practice with numerous EOs referencing OOs as Orthodox just like the Bishops have said.

The history of Orthodoxy is rather complicated when seeing how extensively detailed every group is. For reference, as noted best elsewhere, on the differing variations:

ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN PENTARCHY

AUTOCEPHALOUS ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCHES

AUTONOMOUS ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHURCHES

ORIENTAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN EPARCHIES
Many places with Intercommunion occurring are places in the Church others do not know of due to geography and simply disconnection - and this is the case with regards to Antiochians as one example among many when it comes to intersections/connection.

11693952_860591330656589_3779017518578926842_n.jpg

If we are honest, we must contend with the fact that there really cannot be any escaping what has happened in practice with regards to canonical Eastern Orthodox since the Antiochians have never had any problem communing Copts, Ethiopians, etc., in their parishes--convert or cradle in composition. Antiochian priests commune Orthodox Christians only, meaning that Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox who have been blessed by their priest or bishop to receive in an EO parish are allowed (and I've experienced that already as a Syriac Orthodox/one with Jewish background as part of the largest reason for identifying with the Syriac Orthodox in its Jewish roots). We already have official statements on the matter for verification and this is something I've seen consistently from EO aware:

Statement of the Orthodox Church of Antioch on the Relations between the Eastern and Syrian Orthodox Churches
November 12, 1991

http://sor.cua.edu/Ecumenism/19911112SOCRumOrthStmt.html

A Synodal and Patriarchal Letter.

To All Our Children, Protected by God, of the Holy See of Antioch:

Beloved:

You must have heard of the continuous efforts for decades by our Church with the sister Syrian Orthodox Church to foster a better knowledge and understanding of both Churches, whether on the dogmatic or pastoral level. These attempts are nothing but a natural expression that the Orthodox Churches, and especially those within the Holy See of Antioch, are called to articulate the will of the Lord that all may be obey, just as the Son is One with the Heavenly Father (John 10:30).

It is our duty and that of our brothers in the Syrian Orthodox Church to witness to Christ in our Eastern region where He was born, preached, suffered, was buried and rose from the dead, ascended into Heaven, and sent down His Holy and Life Giving Spirit upon His holy Apostles.

All the meetings, the fellowship, the oral and written declarations meant that we belong to One Faith even though history had manifested our division more than the aspects of our unity.

All this has called upon our Holy Synod of Antioch to bear witness to the progress of our Church in the See of Antioch towards unity that preserves for each Church its authentic Oriental heritage whereby the one Antiochian Church benefits from its sister Church and is enriched in its traditions, literature and holy rituals.

Every endeavor and pursuit in the direction of the coming together of the two Churches is based on the conviction that this orientation is from the Holy Spirit, and it will give the Eastern Orthodox image more light and radiance, that it has lacked for centuries before.

Having recognized the efforts done in the direction of unity between the two Churches, and being convinced that this direction was inspired by the Holy Spirit and projects a radiant image of Eastern Christianity overshadowed during centuries, the Holy Synod of the Church of Antioch saw the need to give a concrete expression of the close fellowship between the two Churches, the Syrian Orthodox Church and the Eastern Orthodox for the edification of their faithful.

Thus, the following decisions were taken:

1. We affirm the total and mutual respect of the spirituality, heritage and Holy Fathers of both Churches. The integrity of both the Byzantine and Syriac liturgies is to be preserved.
  2. The heritage of the Fathers in both Churches and their traditions as a whole should be integrated into Christian education curricula and theological studies. Exchanges of professors and students are to be enhanced.
  3. Both Churches shall refrain from accepting any faithful from accepting any faithful from one Church into the membership of the other, irrespective of all motivations or reasons.
  4. Meetings between the two Churches, at the level of their Synods, according to the will of the two Churches, will be held whenever the need arises.
  5. Every Church will remain the reference and authority for its faithful, pertaining to matters of personal status (marriage, divorce, adoption, etc.).
  6. If bishops of the two Churches participate at a holy baptism or funeral service, the one belonging to the Church of the baptized or deceased will preside. In case of a holy matrimony service, the bishop of the bridegroom’s Church will preside.
  7. The above mentioned is not applicable to the concelebration in the Divine Liturgy.
  8. What applies to bishops equally applies to the priests of both Churches.
  9. In localities where there is only one priest, from either Church, he will celebrate services for the faithful of both Churches, including the Divine Liturgy, pastoral duties, and holy matrimony. He will keep an independent record for each Church and transmit that of the sister Church to its authorities.
  10. If two priests of the two Churches happen to be in a locality where there is only one Church, they take turns in making use of its facilities.
  11. If a bishop from one Church and a priest from the sister Church happen to concelebrate a service, the first will preside even when it is the priest’s parish.
  12. Ordinations into the holy orders are performed by the authorities of each Church for its own members. It would be advisable to invite the faithful of the sister Church to attend.
  13. Godfathers, godmothers (in baptism) and witnesses in holy matrimony can be chosen from the members of the sister Church.
  14. Both Churches will exchange visits and will co-operate in the various areas of social, cultural and educational work.
    We ask God’s help to continue strengthening our relations with the sister Church, and with other Churches, so that we all become one community under one Shepherd.
Damascus
12 November 1991

Patriarch Ignatios IV
of the Greek Antiochian Church

Patriarch Ignatius Zakka Iwas
of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch

This has been pointed out before by other Orthodox here before in addressing the official statements that supercede any interpretation of a forum statement saying OOs are not EO since the statements reflect what's actually happening in cannonical Eastern Orthodoxy. My own background involves both the Syriac Tradition as well as the Antiochian tradition - and I already have friends/family in the Coptic tradition (which I already shared when speaking about being invited to visit His Holiness when he was in town, others knowing where I stand as I've shared before in Prayers, as I'm looking Forward to Meeting the Coptic Pope Tomorrow and Pesach...something to think about). And there are already dioceses of the OCA allowing intercommunion so long as permission is given by the ruling hierarch. Additionally, there is also inter-communion arrangements between the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate and the Eastern Orthodox EO reference the Syriac Orthodox tradition frequently in identification, even though the tradition is not rooted solely n the EO Tradition. Others such as Dr. Sebastian Brock - the foremost scholar on Syriac Christianity - have done a rather excellent job on pointing that out in regards to the scholarship when it comes to the universality of others from the OO tradition and why others in the EO tradition have no issue with OO.

There really is MORE unity in the Church than many are willing to admit....

11752455_881742688541453_5742733924089848025_n.jpg

There's a need to remember that Blood has no boundaries with significance. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of all his saints (Psalm 116) and there's unity in the Faith that is present in more ways than one...

As an aside, it is the case historically that the Greek Orthodox church is in full communion with the Oriental Orthodox church:

Since the Holy Synods of both the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria and all Africa have already accepted the outcome of the official dialogue on Christology between the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox Churches, including the two official agreements: the first on Christology signed in June 1989 in Egypt and the second also on Christology and on the lifting of anathemas and restoration of full communion signed in Geneva 1990, in which it is stated that "In the light of our agreed statement on Christology..., we have now clearly understood that both families have always loyally maintained the same authentic Orthodox Christological faith, and the unbroken continuity of Apostolic tradition". It was agreed to have mutual recognition of the sacrament of Baptism, based on what St Paul wrote, "One Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Eph 4:5)http://www.orthodoxunity.org/sta...

Moreover, for practice, we already have it where Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate’s Department for External Church Relations, congratulated His Holiness Patriarch Mor Ignatius Aphrem II on his election to the throne of Primate of the Syriac Orthodox Church. It was not a competition or a matter of saying "We cannot celebrate him, as he is OO!!" ...for in his words:

Your Holiness,

I wholeheartedly congratulate you on the election to the throne of Primate of the ancient Syriac Orthodox Church. The Russian Orthodox Church values good relations with the Syriac Church and thinks highly of the heritage of your demised predecessor – Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas. He was always committed to the active inter-Christian dialogue and was a supporter of closer interaction between the Orthodox and the Oriental Churches.

Our Church is praying for the re-establishment of a longed-for peace in the Syrian land, sanctified by the feet of holy prophets and apostles. I sincerely wish you to be a preacher of truth and reconciliation in your homeland and a wise steerer of the church boat.

Many and good years to you!
With love in Christ,
/+Hilarion/
Metropolitan of Volokolamsk
Chairman
Department for External Church Relations
Moscow Patriarchate ( https://mospat.ru/en/2014/04/16/news101026/ )

10006060_656221821093542_3640293418988250512_o.jpg

What happens in canonical Orthodox has been quite clear when keeping up with the actual discussions, statements and what leadership has done.

As it concerns CF, I have to go with what other EO/those in leadership noted in example, as said before:

wait a minute here.... We are having serious dialogue with the O.O and you think that "allowing" the Holy Spirit guiding us into communion with a Church as old as the O.O is something wrong... IMO it is defenetely something good.

The modern ecumenical movement and modern historical scholarship have indeed helped bring our churches closer. They are now able to view both each other and their own histories in a new perspective. But we should not conclude from this that the present rapprochement is simply the result of modern relativism or the “pan-heresy of ecumenism,” as some self-styled traditionalists might charge. Even during the long centuries of division there were some on both sides who recognized that differences between the churches’ preferred Christological formulations were essentially verbal rather than substantive. And during those centuries there also were efforts to reach agreement and to restore communion. These early efforts are instructive and merit closer examination. They illustrate what both sides - at the time at least - regarded as the proper basis for reunion.

http://www.svots.edu/Faculty/John-Erickson/articles/beyond-dialogue.html/

This seems a very reputable web site also since it is OCA.

qft

I love celtic tradition as I love Ethiopian, Alexamdrian,Antinochian, Bulgarian, Greek, Italian, American Indian, Eskimo, Aborigian, and all idegenous people art and expression :)
And not all EOs are strickly Byzantine or Russian Tradition... There are many expressions as many as the people's ethnoi on this earth :):hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Have you heard this?

Coptic Orthodox Church of Africa:Singing in Church. - YouTube
Ethiopian Church Music from Australia - YouTube
Ethiopian Orthodox Drumming & Dancing in Australia - YouTube

The dance of Isaiah at a Greek orthodox wedding - YouTube

Or you think this is not 'dancing' and singing? ^

I like our Liturgy do not take me wrong but people are free to incorporate their culture in it to make it real for them. The same way I like the hymns in Greek as they are meaningful to me I would expect that they would like to make it meaningful to them by adding (def. not extracting) elements in the worship. Ethiopian tradition has indeed a mature liturgical expression and the joy of the people shows through :)

I would not doubt that organically the EO church in America would adopt elements of this culture( whatever it maybe...jazz or Indian American is what comes to my mind as that is the culture of the land ...) in the worship.
Other leaders have noted the same before, just as those who were not mods and they were always aware of the statement on the forum page/how to see it.

that said, please post away, cause I do enjoy them
Likewise with you, Bruh. Shalom :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you've not heard of St. Clotilde, you'd be very much blessed by his work. He was involved in French Orthodoxy and is a very fascinating individual.

As said there, for reference:

Recently, the unrelenting debate over Quebec nationalism and separatism took a new turn, as the sovereigntist forces in the province proposed legal measures that would enshrine Quebec identity in the provincial Charter of Rights. Such a question is in fact complex, since the inheritance of Francophone Quebec culture has many layers. Roman Catholicism ruled the French cultural mind for centuries, yet it has largely been abandoned by most Quebeckers as a vital force in everyday life. The glory of the Bourbon kings, whose architecture and furnishings adorn the Quebec National Assembly, were similarly wiped away by the revolutionary bloodshed of 1789, and the legacy of this chapter of French history has been largely lost on recent generations.

Not surprisingly, advocates of the revised Quebec Charter of Rights would embrace the ideals of the French Revolution, the goals of socialism, democracy, and above all, secularism. As the growing influence of Islam in the French-speaking world presents a fundamental challenge to French culture in Quebec and elsewhere, the jargon of the French Revolution provides a convenient, yet incomplete, response to the threats of fundamental change to francophone culture.

Yet for those who know the heart and soul of the French people, the true history of the francophone culture of Quebec did not begin with the Revolution of 1789. The enduring legacy of the francophone world cannot be reduced to the consequences of Paris street riots, the destruction and abandonment of churches, and the guillotine. The eternal and enduring value of French identity is not to be found in the principles of Robespierre, the Reign of Terror, or Gaullist nationalism. These are but a bigoted shadow of the soil that gave rise to the beautifying aspects of French culture, the forebears of French Canadian culture. Indeed, it is this very struggle between the false French identity and the true destiny of the French people which is alive today, which characterizes the history of the ancestors of today's French Canadians. It is through this inheritance that one can rediscover the eternal essence at the heart of French Christianity, which traces its path back to the Annunciation of the Lord Himself.

SAINT CLOTILDE AND FRENCH ORTHODOXY

It is surprising - often unbelievable - for contemporary Quebec Catholics to discover the Orthodox Christian roots of their ancestors. Yet it is in the undivided Church of the first millennium that the French people received the Gospel of Christ, much in the same manner as the conversion of so many other peoples, by the direct revelation of God. Suffering from overwhelming losses in war in the year 496, the French pagan King Clovis turned in desperation to a God he did not know, the God worshipped by his Christian wife, Queen Clotilde. Like Saint Constantine the Great, Clovis vowed that if the "God of Clotilde" delivered him the victory, he would accept baptism, and reign as a Christian king. The historian Saint Gregory of Tours relates that Clovis was granted the honour of consulship by the Byzantine Emperor Anastasius I. It was King Clovis who established the capital of the Frankish kingdom at Paris, dedicating there a church in honour of the Holy Apostles*.

At the baptism of King Clovis, Holy Tradition tells us that the Mother of God appeared to Saint Clotilde, presenting her with a lily (fleur-de-lis), the three-leafed flower which soon became the symbol of the Bourbon French house. King Clovis adopted three lilies on blue (the colour of the Mother of God) as his royal standard, replacing the three frogs which he had used previously - a noteworthy symbol of his rejection of paganism in favour of the Holy Trinity. The symbol is used to this day as an emblem of Quebec nationalism.

Saint Clotilde, of course, is fascinating when it comes to the Orthodox Saints of Western Europe..

Sts%20of%20Vienne.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the idea of OO vs EO communion is a whole other can of worms I don't want to open up for this thread. anyways, carry on
More than understand, Bruh.

As it concerns OO vs EO Communion, the issue ties in with the OP when it comes to the reality of how often you had moments where both EO and OO were forced to work together in wars/battles and significant historical events. Things tend to shift a lot when you're in the midst of a fight...

The violence is bad enough currently and causing a lot of problems to the point where others support revolution....

As said best elsewhere, in Gunmen Kill Coptic Orthodox Priest in North Sinai/Voices from Russia:

On Saturday, security sources said that gunmen killed a Coptic Orthodox priest in Egypt‘s lawless North Sinai Governorate in what could be the first sectarian attack since the military overthrow of Islamist Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi Isa al-Ayyat. The shooting in the coastal city of el-Arish was one of several attacks believed to be by Islamist insurgents that included firing at four military checkpoints in the region. Morsi’s Muslim Brotherhood fiercely criticised Coptic Patriarch Tawadros Sulayman, spiritual leader of Egypt’s 8 million Christians, for giving his blessing to the removal of the president and attending the announcement by armed forces commander General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi suspending the constitution.

01-arab-with-ak.jpg

6 July 2013

I wonder how EO and OOs had to come together during the revolutions in Egypt, as it concerns what happened in the Middle East with the Arab spring - and Russia itself/The Russian Orthodox Church has been deeply connected with the Arab Revolutions...

5fb24cdf-b0df-401d-9b71-29442569bb08_16x9_788x442.jpg

Additionally, in the event you did not know, as said best in
Coptic Pope and Patriarch Tawadros Arrives in Moscow ...Voices from Russia
:

00-pope-and-patriarch-tawadros-in-moscow-29-10-14.jpg

His Holiness Pope and Patriarch Tawadros Sulaymān, 118th Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of all Africa of the Holy Apostolic See of Saint Mark, accompanied by a patriarchal delegation, arrived in Russia on 28 October 2014 ahead of a historic visit. HH Pope Tawadros will visit His Holiness Patriarch Kirill Gundyaev of Moscow and all the Russias on 29 October 2014, marking 26 years since the visit of the previous Pope of Alexandria, His Holiness the late Pope Shenouda who participated in the celebration of the Millennium of the Christianisation of Russia and the baptism of St Vladimir. His Holiness was met at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport by Metropolitan Ilarion Alfeyev of Volokolamsk, Chairman of the MP Synodal Department for External Church Relations in Moscow and His Excellency Dr Mahmoud El-Badry, Ambassador of the Arab Republic of Egypt to the Russian Federation, as well as Their Graces Bishop Kyrillos of Milan, Papal Exarch in Europe, and Bishop Angaelos, General Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the UK. a delegation comprising Metropolitan Bishoy of Damietta and Their Graces: Bishop Raphael, General Secretary of the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church and Bishop Serapion of Los Angeles and Papal secretary Father Angelos Ishak and official spokesman of the Coptic Orthodox Church, Fr Boules Haleem accompanied Pope Tawadros.

From Moscow, Bishop Angaelos said:

“This fraternal visit is important because it marks the first visit of a Coptic Pope to Russia in 26 years and marks and demonstrates the depth of relationship between our two Churches and the many commonalities we share in our heritage and experience”. There’ll be a reception for Pope Tawadros at the Egyptian Embassy on the evening of 28 October 2014, and he’ll undertake various official visits and pastoral engagements throughout the duration of his stay.

28 October 2014

The Coptic Orthodox Church Centre UK

http://copticcentre.blogspot.com/2014/10/press-release-his-holiness-pope.html

click here and here for the patriarchia.ru coverage

DSC05431.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
oh I have no doubt that the EO and OO have a LOT of common ground, and I actually have hope for full and open communion with the Orientals before my life is over. a fellow seminarian did some research on the state of the dialogue, and he basically said that he thinks it would go Malankara, Syriac, Ethiopian, and Copt and Armenian as a kinda domino effect from our POV.

certainly can hold out for hope

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would avoid voices from Russia. the blogger is a transvestite who has been excommunicated
Aware of that one, Bruh. I came across the individual years ago and have referenced them before only on a few occasions when it comes to the political side of things, as I see it as no different than referencing something from BBC or any other reputable news outlet (regardless of the lifestyle of the person reporting). Some things I take seriously and others I don't, as her lifestyle (for which she indeed needs A LOT of prayer) isn't the same as what may be noted on the actions in a country and her being excommunicated was never a factor for me in the event that what she noted on the geopolitical level was both accurate and detailed in regards to political events pertaining to Russia.

I do pray for the blogger, of course.

oh I have no doubt that the EO and OO have a LOT of common ground, and I actually have hope for full and open communion with the Orientals before my life is over. a fellow seminarian did some research on the state of the dialogue, and he basically said that he thinks it would go Malankara, Syriac, Ethiopian, and Copt and Armenian as a kinda domino effect from our POV.

certainly can hold out for hope
It would not really take much after the repeated Official statements showing others already in open communion (i.e. Antiochians with the Syriac Orthodox, the Greek Orthodox with the Oriental Orthodox, etc.). The Indian Orthodox have been prominent as well since they've worked with the EOs on several occasions.
  • 100: Indian And Orthodox

• East Meets East - The Indian Orthodox - Becoming a Healing Presence - Ancient Faith Radio.
SO as said before it really isn't something one needs to hope for so much as it is a matter of seeing what has already happened beyond simply having common ground.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, I don't read your posts, but I don't read any posts but my own, since I find others generally unedifying. However, I think it would somehow impoverish the forum if you left, and certainly don't see the OO vs EO a reason to leave, as I wouldn't think that somebody so prolix would be so uneducated as to transgress against the commandment not to teach against the right-believing faith.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I don't read your posts, but I don't read any posts but my own, since I find others generally unedifying. However, I think it would somehow impoverish the forum if you left, and certainly don't see the OO vs EO a reason to leave, as I wouldn't think that somebody so prolix would be so uneducated as to transgress against the commandment not to teach against the right-believing faith.
Never assumed you were a frequent reader so I am not certain as to why it was mentioned (as I was not seeking out verification from you on the matter) - but I understand the sentiments on not really wanting to deal with that which may not be edifying. I only venture into very specific places, as I don't follow everyone (yours included) although only if it happens to not be myopic or frivolous do I show interest.

As it concerns the EO vs OO reason, it is not really something that is an issue when nothing has been (nor was ever) said against the EO with regards to OO in intercommunion (Antiochians with Syriac Orthodox as an example and I've experienced that numerous times already) or Official Statements from the Bishops. That is Orthodoxy in practice/real life so that must be honored - for to transgress against that, as other EO have noted, is to transgress against what EO is actually about and the spirit of what has been done on the boards for a long time. Others EOs in leadership said that years ago when it come up (as there can be a lack of awareness of what's actually taught or done in practice and a lack of education on what the Bishops already said - especially among the converts as opposed to cradle).

This is not a new dynamic mentioned since Philothei, one of the mods from before for Orthodoxy alongside others, was already aware on the issue whenever she and I would talk alongside others and it was understood that people should not be so uneducated as to claim something is done in the name of the right-believing faith that the right-believing faith never said universally (and she and I PMd a number of times on the matter if I or others had questions. Thus again, it really is not an issue of worry since nothing has gone against the practice of what other EO have done and what was stated on the forum page.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Im not sure which orthodox people you spoke with that said Orthodox clerics and her people dont participate in revolutions or other societal changes. Obviously history says otherwise. Since Orthodoxy did not recognize seperation of church and state as this was a protestant ideal, there is no way to avoid it.

Whether one should be involved or endorse or root for it, would depend on what benefits there would be to the christian and the nation. Like Armymatt says, Depends on the Revolution.
The greek revolution begun when a monk named Germanos hung a flag of a cross (now the greek flag) and asked to fight for Orthodoxy and their freedom.

Archbishop Makarios of Cyprus was also the secular president of Cyprus being elected for three terms(from late 1950's to early 70's). He did well even though it was during troubled times on the island.

What happened during the bolshevik period is no different than what happens today. Naive people thinking they can create a utopia on earth and thinking the grass is greener on the other side. These people exist right now in the pews and in the altars, I warn about subversives who serve two masters who either want to push a political agenda or worse are saboteurs just waiting to throw the church under the bus.
Afterall all of Turkey, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt were all christian, they simply went with the flow and change which was islam.
Many thanks for noting as you did, although my understanding with Turkey and Syria and Lebanon and Egypt was that some of the revolutions occurring there already had it where Christians were not simply going with it. Being minority groups present, they had only so much influence.

As it concerns Archbishop Makarios, his example is noteworthy. His deportation is definitely unfortunate, but an example of those standing against the tide.

makarios.jpg

7b9160c1e79a85abce30dfdd40e9e42e.jpg

His experience is very much similar to what occurred in other parts of the OO world. Specifically, much of the Ethiopian churches in the U.S. are in a certain way schismatic in relation to the mainstream Oriental Orthodox churches since they recognize an exiled man who was deposed by the holy synod in Addis Ababa named Mekorios as the legitimate patriarch of the EOTC, whereas the church within Ethiopia recognizes Abune Paulos as the legitimate Patriarch, as do the rest of the Oriental Orthodox churches. Consequently, both of these groups have anathematized each other, so while the Ethiopian synod in Exile is one in faith with the OOC, it has not eccelsiastically been part of the OOC for a few decades now. It has caused a bit of an issue whenever Ethiopian Orthodox churches are set up in the U.S. - especially in the ATL area since so many of them are made and yet the civil war between them is great. And with regards to revolutions, it is fascinating to consider the ways that Marxism is what started off much of the problem. Specifically, a Marxist revolution in 1974 led to the overthrow of His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie (who though an autocratic ruler of a feudal nation is remembered for modernizing Ethiopia as best as possible and leading the resistance against Italian invasion in 1935 as well as for his devout life/support of the Church ) - with the years following the coup being marked by severe persecution of Christians, church properties seized by the state, and as many as tens of thousands of Ethiopians killed during a period known as the Red Terror....

• UNDER MARXISM, ETHIOPIA'S CHRISTIANS ABIDE By JAMES BROOKE, Special to the New York Times
    Published: March 9, 1987
I respect what Abune Merkorios and his supporters did when a puppet patriarch was essentially chosen by the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) and they went into exile, establishing a rival synod in the United States.

As said best elsewhere:

The Ethiopian Orthodoxy was the state religion of the country until the 1974 Marxist revolution, which overthrew the Emperor and placed Colonel Mengistu Haile Mariam at the head of government. The new government called the Derg disestablished the Ethiopian Orthodox Church as the state religion, and declared a doctrine of "Equality of Faith" but actively worked against all faiths by advocating communistic atheism. In 1977, the government arrested His Holiness Abune Tewophilos, Patriarch of Ethiopia and imprisoned him. They ordered a general assembly of the church to elect a new Patriarch. The assembly was directed to elect a monk named Abba Melaku as Patriarch of Ethiopia with the name Tekle Haimanot. The Coptic Orthodox Church of Egypt announced that the enthronement of a Patriarch while another Patriarch lived, without abdication on his part, or action by the Holy Synod of the Church to remove him was in violation of Canon Law, and refused to recognize Tekle Haimanot as Patriarch of Ethiopia. Ties between the two churches were completely severed. Later that year the communists brutally executed Abune Tewophilos, Patriarch of Ethiopia and buried him in secret.

When Tekla Haimanot died in 1988, the Archbishop of Gondar, Abune Merkorios who became Patriarch of Ethiopia, succeeded him. Then in 1991, the Derg government collapsed, and was replaced by a rebel movement, which assumed authority as a transitional government. Under much controversial actions, Abune Merkorios was removed from the Patriarchate by the Holy Synod. It is unclear whether or not the Patriarch willingly abdicated at first or acted under duress, but when he made an effort to reverse this action, the Synod stepped in and announced it had removed him. It stated that his election had been under the duress and direction of the Communist government, and so his continued occupation of the Patriarchate was not legitimate. A new election was held, and Abune Paulos, once a prisoner of the Derg, and a long time exile in the United States, became Patriarch of Ethiopia. Abune Merkorios then fled Ethiopia and announced from abroad that his removal was illegitimate, and carried out under duress from the new transitional government. He claimed that he was still the legal Patriarch of Ethiopia as canon law did not support the enthronement of a Patriarch while another lived. The Synod however replied that it was entitled under canon law to remove the patriarch that it had done prior to the election of the new Patriarch. Several bishops left Ethiopia to join him in exile and now live mostly in the United States where they proclaimed a parallel synod.

These moves to split the synod, the question of who the legitimate occupant of the Patriarchate should be, and other issues have aroused much argument among the clergy and faithful. Abune Paulos however is the patriarch recognized by the Holy Synod of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church inside Ethiopia. The body claiming to be The Holy Synod in Exile continues to uphold Abune Merkorios as Patriarch of Ethiopia. Efforts to avert a permanent schism of the church continue.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...vultures-return-to-the-land-of-sheba-19780921

https://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=153&catid=135

Last edited:
Upvote 0