Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've found that I like silence in the car - at least in the mornings. That's when I usually do my very poor excuse for Morning Prayers, and then personal prayers. So now I find that a lot of times I will just leave off the radio. Sometimes I pray the Jesus Prayer, sometimes I will listen to Orthodox CDs, or sometimes, just enjoy the silence.

Mary

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've found that I like silence in the car - at least in the mornings. That's when I usually do my very poor excuse for Morning Prayers, and then personal prayers. So now I find that a lot of times I will just leave off the radio. Sometimes I pray the Jesus Prayer, sometimes I will listen to Orthodox CDs, or sometimes, just enjoy the silence.

Mary
The car is also where I all too often do my Morning Prayers... At least the Trisagion prayers, and the Jesus Prayer.

Up until recently, I had a non-functioning radio in my car. Recently, the car was broken into, and the thieves stole the non-functional radio. ^_^

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The car is also where I all too often do my Morning Prayers... At least the Trisagion prayers, and the Jesus Prayer.

Up until recently, I had a non-functioning radio in my car. Recently, the car was broken into, and the thieves stole the non-functional radio. ^_^

LOL! Serves them right, I guess. :p

Mary

Upvote 0

MichaelNZ

Servus Mariae
Nov 10, 2006
Dunedin, New Zealand
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My priest told me that first of all during Great Lent, we should abstain from sin.

I had a hard enough time this year keeping the fast from food. It made me quite depressed at times. If I'd had to fast from entertainment as well, I don't know how I would have gone.

Some entertainment is good, though. This story might be inspiring:

This hunter was going across the hills and he saw St. Antony with a group of monks. The Saint was telling jokes and anecdotes, and the monks laughed, which scandalized the hunter. Antony saw that, approached the hunter, and said: "Please, brother - pull the string of your bow."
The hunter did, and the Saint said: "Pull it harder!"
He did. "Harder!"
"I can't Father - the string will snap!"
And St. Antony said: "Well, that is what will happen to their souls as well if we burden them too much."

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
My priest told me that first of all during Great Lent, we should abstain from sin.

I had a hard enough time this year keeping the fast from food. It made me quite depressed at times. If I'd had to fast from entertainment as well, I don't know how I would have gone.

Some entertainment is good, though. This story might be inspiring:

This hunter was going across the hills and he saw St. Antony with a group of monks. The Saint was telling jokes and anecdotes, and the monks laughed, which scandalized the hunter. Antony saw that, approached the hunter, and said: "Please, brother - pull the string of your bow."
The hunter did, and the Saint said: "Pull it harder!"
He did. "Harder!"
"I can't Father - the string will snap!"
And St. Antony said: "Well, that is what will happen to their souls as well if we burden them too much."
Great story! :thumbsup:

Yes, the purpose of the fast is not to break one, but to strengthen one. If I begin weight-lifting with weights beyond my capability, and do too many reps and sets, and too often, and add to that other extreme exertions, I am bound to hurt myself or at least burn out. If I instead begin with what pushes me just a little over my limits, and increase slowly over the weeks and months and years, I will get strong. I see fasting the same way... That's why Father has me fasting (on fasting days) from a limited subset of the normal fasting foods, but has recently added to my fast the computer. He knows what I need to work on more than I do... Just as a personal trainer may see that your abs need more work, when you wanted to work on your glutes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And as I put it.. less GDRADIO.net & more Ancient Faith Radio ;)

This is the first I've heard of GDRADIO.net. I can't give it up now?!?!

Trying to fast from entertainment is a good thing. However, many of us come from mixed households and can't really just turn off the TV for the whole family. Limiting my consumption of talk radio is usually a common fasting goal for me, but I always fail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey now, my husband recently applied for an NPR grant and his show is anything but liberal, unless you consider internet security and intelectual property a liberal issue. He, and his listeners, tend to be libertarians.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey now, my husband recently applied for an NPR grant and his show is anything but liberal, unless you consider internet security and intelectual property a liberal issue. He, and his listeners, tend to be libertarians.
There are some things I agree with libertarians on, but I am still very, very conservative.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.