• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Orthodoxy and Popular Culture

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by authiodionitist, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. authiodionitist

authiodionitist Senior Member

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    My question relates to fasting, feasting, and Orthodopraxis in regards to popular culture. I'm sure many of you have heard the stories of the "old days," either told in great respect or some annoyance that in older Orthodox families, during Lent and other fasting periods pianos were shut, radios turned off, and TVs banned in each household. This, of course, with the intention of fasting from entertainment as well as food. To me, this makes sense as a logical extension of bodily abstention. In Russia I hear that theatres, bars, and clubs were closed during Lent by the state. Not to say that it should be compulsory, but as far as fasting and entertainment goes, what are your thoughts?

And how about the weekly Judas and Crucifixion fasts?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Protoevangel

Protoevangel Smash the Patriarchy!

+1,166
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    I had not thought of this, and my priest has not brought it up. Thank you for bringing this up... I like the idea, and would be interested in hearing what the experienced members have to say. I will also ask my Priest about it tonight after the Paraklesis Service, if he has a moment to talk.

3. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

+10,808
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Fasting is not just from food.

4. NyssaTheHobbit

NyssaTheHobbit Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)

+56
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Democrat
    My priest has said nothing to me about fasting from entertainment, so I don't see a reason to do it. He did talk about fasting from sins and things that control you; those are hard enough to deal with. :) However, if somebody wants to do this, I don't see why it would be a problem.

5. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+720
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    I just try to cut down. Significantly.

6. cassc

cassc Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian

+65
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Obviously in the US the entertainment industry is not going to shut down for Lent so it is up to each of us to chose what we will allow inside our homes and where we will go outside. Lent is surely a time to try to be making better choices and with fasting, increased prayer and extra church services there is less time to seek entertainment anyway. It is definitely something that might be right for some people but may not be for others...

7. Khaleas

Khaleas Also known as Jenn the Finn :)

+331
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    That would be needing to see Desperate Housewives every Sunday... :p
    I taped everything toward the end of lent and now I've been sitting and catching up.
    I been told several times to fast from the computer, not just board but just surfing around. It controls too much of my time that could be spent better. I think I'll get a good wean when hubs comes home and I want to spend time with him instead of cruising and surfing around.

8. cassc

cassc Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian

+65
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Aww we'll miss you Jenn, but I guess it's ok if you let you husband come before your computer time ;)

9. Khaleas

Khaleas Also known as Jenn the Finn :)

+331
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    I'll be around after the first week when he has off (and I'm pretty sure I'll check in when he roams around on his StarTrek boards)... but we both spend too much time on the laptops and not doing stuff together (aka we get fat and lazy too) so we've decided to cut down on computer time too. It was pretty sad last winter when we'd sit a few rooms away and IM eachother asking what the other wanted for dinner. Not lack of communication, just too lazy to get up.
    After that first week when he goes back to work I'll have plenty of time to hang around here during the day. :p

10. Tsarina

Tsarina Most Holy Theotokos save us!

+180
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Very true.

My husband and i decide to shut down TV, music, going out etc during Great Lent. We learned that this truly helps us during prayer and contemplation during the great fast.

The idea of shutting down most of the worldly distractions around us during Great Lent helps our senses to be free from temptation. Therefore, one can pray without the mind wandering too much. This was taught to me by my Priest.

11. Protoevangel

+1,166
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    OK, I did talk to Father about this tonight. After the replies above, his answer was not at all surprising. He said that fasting is about removing any of the things of the world that may have influence over us, taking time and effort away from those things that really matter; prayer, repentance, etc.

This made me think about my excessive computer use. We agreed that fasting from the computer (not including anything work related, of course) would be a good practice for me. Soooooo, beginning this coming Wednesday (hey, according to Liturgical time, it's already Saturday - how's that for a cheesy excuse?), I will be fasting from CF and other "idle" computer time.

12. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

+10,808
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    On Weds and Fridays or all weeklong? We are not in a fast period right now.

13. Protoevangel

+1,166
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    During fasting times. Including Wednesdays and Fridays.

:sorry: I knew what I meant... What's up, aren't you up to reading my mind? ;)

14. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

+10,808
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I had turned off my mind reading capability last night.

15. authiodionitist

authiodionitist Senior Member

+18
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Perhaps fitting for the Orthodox and not for the non-Orthodox? Not to make this a rubric, but to embrace more of a holistic Christian culture as Orthodoxy is we should cut down a bit on the entertainment during fasting times? Maybe?

Like Tsarina said :)))...

16. RobNJ

RobNJ So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!

+3,253
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    My priest mentions it, not to just cut down on it, for the sake of cutting down on it. But to take that time & devote it to extra prayer, Bible study, reading Orthodox literature, etc.

And as I put it.. less GDRADIO.net & more Ancient Faith Radio ;)

17. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+947
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    My priest emphasizes it too. We should spend more time praying, reading Orthodox books, reading Scripture, etc, and avoid, as much as possible, tv and entertainment that is less than wholesome. Of course, we should do that all the time, but we try to pay extra attention to our habits during the Great Fast.

Mary

18. RobNJ

RobNJ So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!

+3,253
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well ,in my case, it also factored in, that I spent all but the last week of it in a physical rehab & a hospital.. where I couldn't choose Lenten-friendly industrial food.

19. Michael G

Michael G Abe Frohmann

+10,808
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    The very thought of lenten friendly industrial food makes me want to run for the toilet and hurl!

20. DavidBryan

DavidBryan El indigno siervo de Dios, el lector David

+30
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Ditto. For Great Lent and Nativity Lent we unplug the TV. Also, we try to limit the radio to NPR (I know, the conservatives out there will think that that in itself is violating the fast, ha, ha :p), or silence. The silence thing in the car is haaaard, though. It's now to the point where the TV is seldom on during non-fasting times. I don't really even miss it anymore.

Right...if we don't fill the void left by what's been taken out with something that points us toward Christ, we can "spiritually implode," as it were.

Heh...yes, AFR (and it's recent explosion of podcasts!) are coming from my PC at work and in my car (when I'm not brave enough to face silence, that is) during fasting periods...when I can't have my classic rock, it helps to "stave off the cravings"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.