Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You have the burden of proof not me. We have parables like the ten talents, the fig tre, etc. etc. They're not literal events.

no I don't. the purpose of this is not to prove whether or not Lazarus existed, I merely said that some do. we both agree that the theological truth behind whether it did or not is what matters

It does. If prayer is not mediation (which it is asking God for or praising Him and giving thanks), then what can it be?

no it doesn't. you equate the two, but you have not showed anything other than how you read it to say that mediation is prayer and therefore one can only petition Christ.

Life after death is not the basis of praying to someone.

never said that it was, but where is the evidence to show that you are reading it correctly. seeing as how praying to the departed goes back a long ways, one would think somewhere you would see calls against it.

Are you purposely try to debate every minor point? I am sorry if I am being impatient, but this issue to me is elementary. It is talked about it detail in the Book of Hebrews, I can cite it if you want if you are genuinely interested.

well, you say your points with authority so fine, show me something solid and clear and then we can have a discussion. saying that Christ is our only mediator is fine, but how do you know that you are reading that line correctly?

This fact itself does not conflict with interceding saints. The fact that the Saints pray to Christ on our behalf because Christ alone is the mediator undercuts the reason of using a middleman.

if that were the case, why ask a friend for a prayer request? why are middlemen allowed in the Church on earth, but NOT for the Church in heaven? and again, what in history clearly shows this?

I just disproved your point that people addressed angels and that somehow that is the same as praying.

no you didn't

And because prayers goes along with worship, I personally consider them one and of the same.

well, since humans can be wrong, you need a little something more than what YOU consider. I don't care that you consider them to be the same. now, if you find some early Christians who agreed with you, then you have something.

The answer is that God sent angels to mediate between Him and us before the appearance of Christ in the world (Gal 3:19). This set of conditions no longer exists.

if it no longer exists, when did it stop existing and why does John get angels sent to him in Revelation? why are they sent in Acts?

Is this a rhetorical question or do you want an answer?

I want an answer

Again, you said "where does it say Christ mediates alone? I just shown you. "Thanks" would be nice.

no need for snarkiness, and I did not actually say that. I want to know how you are reading it correctly, with more than you just saying you are.

Sure, how can you be?

again, no need for snarkiness. I am sure because I am in the true Church.

Having studied history, Christianity doesn't mesh well with the secular discipline either.

having studied history myself, I agree. dunno what this has to do with the topic though...

I think you ask this earnestly and I don't have a good answer fo you, let me give it some careful consideration.

well thank you, I am. because this was one of the things I asked when I first encountered Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh no, my whole reply was lost! Sorry if this is short, but to sum up my points:

I cannot agree that there is a distinction between prayer and worship. I don't want us to be petty and pull out dictionary definitions, but rather just use our common sense. Both of us agree that worship includes singing, making the sign of the cross, kneeling in some contexts, standing in others, fasting, reading, and yes, also praying. Just as singing is a form of worship prayer is.

Prayer is part of church services worldwide. So again, prayer is a part of worship as well.

This is widely understood, and if we don't cut hairs with a razor blade, I think you would agree. If a pagan offers prayers to an idol in a temple, it is part of his worship of that god. Further, if we offer prayers to the true God, it is part of our worship of Him to.

This is why it is so blasphemous to pray to Zeus. He's not real nor does he answer prayers or deserve worship.

Lastly, my whole Christian experience has shown me that prayer and worship are intertwined. I believe your distinction to be artificial.

Please don't discount my opinion here because I am not an EO. I believe I am standing on very firm ground and common sense would dictate to us that yes, prayer is part of worship and can be an act of worship. Furthermore, we see in the Bible numerous examples of this. What jumps immediately to mind is Daniel, who in chapter 9 offers supplications and fasting as forms of worship, and then prays as an act of worship, not even asking God for stuff until the end. Instead, he is more concerned with glorifying Godd:

I, Daniel, observed in the books the number of the years which was revealed as the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet for the completion of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years. 3 So I [a]gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes. 4 I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed and said, “Alas, O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and lovingkindness for those who love Him and keep His commandments, 5 we have sinned, committed iniquity, acted wickedly and rebelled, even turning aside from Your commandments and ordinances. 6 Moreover, we have not listened to Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings, our princes, our fathers and all the people of the land.

7 “Righteousness belongs to You, O Lord, but to us open shame, as it is this day—to the men of Judah, the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those who are nearby and those who are far away in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of their unfaithful deeds which they have committed against You. 8 [c]Open shame belongs to us, O Lord, to our kings, our princes and our fathers, because we have sinned against You. 9 To the Lord our God belong compassion and forgiveness, [d]for we have rebelled against Him; 10 nor have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in His [e]teachings which He set before us through His servants the prophets. 11 Indeed all Israel has transgressed Your law and turned aside, not obeying Your voice; so the curse has been poured out on us, along with the oath which is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, for we have sinned against Him. 12 Thus He has confirmed His words which He had spoken against us and against our [f]rulers who ruled us, to bring on us great calamity; for under the whole heaven there has not been done anything like what was done to Jerusalem. 13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this calamity has come on us; yet we have not [g]sought the favor of the Lord our God by turning from our iniquity and [h]giving attention to Your truth. 14 Therefore the Lord has kept the calamity in store and brought it on us; for the Lord our God is righteous with respect to all His deeds which He has done, but we have not obeyed His voice.

15 “And now, O Lord our God, who have brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand and have made a name for Yourself, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have been wicked. 16 O Lord, in accordance with all Your [j]righteous acts, let now Your anger and Your wrath turn away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; for because of our sins and the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people have become a reproach to all those around us. 17 So now, our God, listen to the prayer of Your servant and to his supplications, and for [k]Your sake, O Lord, let Your face shine on Your desolate sanctuary. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear! Open Your eyes and see our desolations and the city which is called by Your name; for we are not [l]presenting our supplications before You on account of [m]any merits of our own, but on account of Your great compassion. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and take action! For Your own sake, O my God, do not delay, because Your city and Your people are called by Your name.”

Because prayer is a form of worship, though not the only one because there is singing, reading creeds and the like, I must say definitively that just as we are to worship to God alone, it stands to reason that we are to pray to God alone. If not, then why can't we sing to other gods? Or say creeds about other gods? To me it highly confuses the matter and because we can pray directly to God, there isn't a need to direct our prayers to someone else and ask for them to then pray for us. If you need other people praying for you, ask people in your church. You don't need to address your prayers to Mary or Simeon as if their prayers count more than yours. They were sinners like we are and all us are cleansed by Christ's blood and may approach Him in prayer.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For what purpose does Christ petition the Father? Is not Christ himself the one who will judge all people at the end of the age?

Jesus holds His priesthood permanently. Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We do, however, venerate those in whom God's likeness has been perfected. And thus it's really more proper to say we venerate Christ in his saints than to say we venerate the saints themselves.
Why should we venerate them?

And no, I've never suggested that God would protect his "institutional Church" from all error for all time. Rather, I believe that Christ will guide his Church into all truth, because Christ is truth. Clearly people have been wrong on key points from the beginning.

If this is the case, then every single protestant isn't necessarily "a denomination of one" because they presently might have a given issue right that the EO at large (though not every individual EO) has wrong.

Again, I've read more papers, debates and books on this than I care to revisit. Unless major historical summaries are all wrong, the earliest recorded, explicit mention of this practice is from Tertullian

Just to recap. That means the first time it was ever referenced, it was in an acceptable work and all previous works still only talked about beleiver's baptism and simply did not reference the idea of paedobaptism.

Tertullian of course eventually even left the Church and joined a heretical sect that took an extremely rigorist and harsh attitude toward post-baptismal sins. He is thus not properly even considered a church father by the Orthodox, because he left the Church.

I believe it is debatable that he "left the church," I was under the impression that he was within the pale of Catholicism, just as certain charismatics are today.

But the next recorded mention of it was by Origen, who claimed the practice had apostolic roots....Cyprian then mentions infant baptism also as an established and ancient practice.

Yet, for centuries CHristians with Christian parents still weren't baptized as infants, which proves definitively it was not universally believed to be an apostolic practice. The fact that the notion prevailed with the ascendance of the doctrine of original sin is very telling. The idea came up that the only thing that can prevent a baby from going to hell is baptising him or her. Now, I know this is not what EOs presently believe, but this was what was taught in the 5th century.

So, you seem to have pulled out the one isolated reference that supports your position. Your "actual historical evidence" amounts to the isolated opinion of one man who whose baptismal views led him into a heretical sect...

You are overstating your position. I am pulling out a reference made after 150 years of believers-only references, made during an era where paedobaptism wasn't the majority practice for yet another 200 years at least. That's 400 years, that's a lot of time, you're framing your argument incorrectly and dare I say, ignorantly. If something did not have ascendancy for four centuries, I am not about to make the statement you just did.

Nobody has said the had baptism "all wrong." Yes, the practice was in flux. Yes, it changed over time and from place to place. It took time to sort out what was right from what wasn't. It isn't like there weren't dubious views of the Trinity and Christology in the years before they really came to be expounded upon.

Yes, but the trinity was clear in the Bible, in Clement, in Ignatius...with baptism you have evidence of the exact opposite belief accepted by for a long period of time by a lot of people. And why doe "flux" stop after 5 centuries. Why can't the "flux" be now?

And I've already said that I believe that infant baptism was practiced from much earlier times than what you're claiming, and it was common enough not to warrant any particular opposition.

But all you have is silence and assumptions. We actually have an explicit reference and the known practice of CHrisitians (Christian parents of credo-bpatized church fathers) on the other side that contradicts it. SO your claim is unsubstantiated and simply wrong.

I believe the basis for it was present from the start, and its expression deepened and widened.

Or historically, the basis is oftentimes centuries later and then it deepened and widened. Unless the basis can be proved (and Scripture is as early and flawless as you can go) and then you find yourself pulling stuff out of the 4th, 5th, 6th centuries or beyond.

The argument over the date of Easter is really irrelevant. It was resolved by allowing each group to observe its own date. The essential matter is that all agreed that it was proper to celebrate Pascha/Easter as the central holiday of the liturgical year. So they differed on the date. Is this significant?

Not really, but you included it as part of an unequivocal statement, if you withdraw the statement then it is not problematic.

I don't know anything about Cambodia. The stories you tell are interesting. Especially the part about American Cambodians paying to put up stunning temples for the sake of Karma and the next life. Maybe if they paid to fix up those apartment buildings, they'd really do some good.

I appreciate you reading that. I miss being there and my in-laws. Believe it or not, I think my post on head coverings actually was the biggest, because the Headcovering Movement picked it up.

On both biblical and historical grounds, I find the case for credobaptism (to the exclusion of paedobaptism) to be razor thin.

While I wouldn't say paedobaptism is a sin and wouldn't break communion over it, I do believe that it was not the practice of the early church for probably over 150 years everywhere.

Unless you can show me significant, sustained opposition to ... infant baptism (know of any clear opposition beyond the isolated comment of Tertuallian?)

The fact that tons of church fathers who had Christian parents were not baptized over a period of centuries seems to me like sustained opposition. Sadly, I cannot pull any other evidence out of the historical record, but unlike the Real Presence which was crystal clear from the beginning, you simply don't have that with baptism.

And again I'd ask why it's more credible or plausible to believe that general silence on a matter, followed by eventual acceptance, is indicative of corruption and error, rather than to believe it's indicative of widespread acceptance and therefore ancient precedent.

I don't need to over complicate the matter. If something isn't spoken about in any sort of detail for centuries, it simply was not important enough to warrant mention and I don't feel the need to prove that it was generally denied, because more likely no one even thought about it because it didnt even exist.

Now you might counter that monergism is one of these topics. To be honest, I would totally agree with you. GOd does not obsess over the nature of our will when it pertains to conversion, so I don't honestly see the need to dwell on it,

However, my point stands. The lack of several pointed refutations of a doctrione does not prove that the doctrine in question was otherwise widely accepted. In reality, it indicates pit just didn't exist and if it didn't exist, there was nothing for people to reject.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I cannot agree that there is a distinction between prayer and worship.

well, I know that, what I want to know is how YOU know you are reading it correctly.

I don't want us to be petty and pull out dictionary definitions, but rather just use our common sense. Both of us agree that worship includes singing, making the sign of the cross, kneeling in some contexts, standing in others, fasting, reading, and yes, also praying. Just as singing is a form of worship prayer is.

yes, but what makes something a worship service, is that an offering is made. that is what a priest does that makes him a priest. this is why Christ is our Great High Priest for the offering He made on the Cross, and what we all do in the Church in her sacramental life. when you remove regular sacraments, all you are left with really is prayer, and most make the assumption that praying to someone is the same as worshipping them.

I must say definitively that just as we are to worship to God alone, it stands to reason that we are to pray to God alone.

if that were the case, why did the earliest Christians petition saints?

If not, then why can't we sing to other gods? Or say creeds about other gods?

no because we both agree that is clearly demonic. venerating saints is not. if it were, Church history would be more against it than for it, and it is the other way around.

To me it highly confuses the matter and because we can pray directly to God, there isn't a need to direct our prayers to someone else and ask for them to then pray for us.

then you should never ask someone who is a buddy or family member to pray for you. you should only pray to God.

If you need other people praying for you, ask people in your church. You don't need to address your prayers to Mary or Simeon as if their prayers count more than yours. They were sinners like we are and all us are cleansed by Christ's blood and may approach Him in prayer.

well, you just said earlier that you should only pray to God, but now you are saying you should ask those in your Church to pray for you. for one, we believe the Church on earth and the Church in heaven are one Church, so asking Mary IS asking someone in my Church. two, I would love to know where the distinction is between asking a buddy to pray for you and asking Mary to pray for you. that has to be somewhere. and three, the NT says that the prayers of the righteous availeth much before the Lord, so who is more righteous than a saint?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes, but what makes something a worship service, is that an offering is made.
Praise is offered, money is offered, prayer is offered. To offer any of these things not to God Himself is to take part in an act of worship of something other than Him. I am opposed to this.

...most make the assumption that praying to someone is the same as worshipping them.
The assumption is that praying to someone is the same as taking part in an act of worship. This is obviously correct and creates theological issues for those who defend the unnecessary, if not completely blasphemous, practice of praying and hence taking part in a form of worship to people that are not God.

if that were the case, why did the earliest Christians petition saints?

If I remember, we have the writings of just Methodius and a scrap of papyrus, which with it was found a gnostic gospel, written three centuries after the closing of the Canon, a time period longer than the existence of the entire history of the United States. So, this statement is factually incorrect.

Further, wasn't it you who asserted that we look at the preponderance of early church fathers, instead of the opinions of just one, before going with an opinion on a doctrine? So, if just Methodius did it, is that really compelling enough by your own standards?

I really want to pull out the quote, but can't find it now, but Ambrose corrected Monica over her practice of honoring the martyrs at shrines in Africa, which seems to me against the idea of praying to dead Christians.

if it were, Church history would be more against it than for it, and it is the other way around.
So, all of this hinges on Methodius being right and Ambrose, Augustine and others being wrong?

then you should never ask someone who is a buddy or family member to pray for you. you should only pray to God...well, you just said earlier that you should only pray to God, but now you are saying you should ask those in your Church to pray for you.
No, I can ask them to pray for me, but I don't pray to them to pray for me. There is an obvious difference.

for one, we believe the Church on earth and the Church in heaven are one Church, so asking Mary IS asking someone in my Church.
That's respectable enough...but, do you have statues of people in your church so when they are not around, you can pray towards their statue and summon their spirit to pray with you?

:pray::prayer::groupray:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Praise is offered, money is offered, prayer is offered. To offer any of these things not to God Himself is to take part in an act of worship of something other than Him. I am opposed to this.

I meant a sacrifice, like an actual sacrifice. we plug into Christ's eternal sacrifice at the Chalice.

The assumption is that praying to someone is the same as taking part in an act of worship. This is obviously correct and creates theological issues for those who defend the unnecessary, if not completely blasphemous, practice of praying and hence taking part in a form of worship to people that are not God.

yeah, what evidence do you have to support that praying to the saint is the same as worshipping that saint. something concrete and clear from history.

If I remember, we have the writings of just Methodius and a scrap of papyrus, which with it was found a gnostic gospel, written three centuries after the closing of the Canon, a time period longer than the existence of the entire history of the United States. So, this statement is factually incorrect.

Further, wasn't it you who asserted that we look at the preponderance of early church fathers, instead of the opinions of just one, before going with an opinion on a doctrine? So, if just Methodius did it, is that really compelling enough by your own standards?

I really want to pull out the quote, but can't find it now, but Ambrose corrected Monica over her practice of honoring the martyrs at shrines in Africa, which seems to me against the idea of praying to dead Christians.

I never said I was only looking at one. and I did not quote only one earlier. a quick google search shows that there are many quotes from the early centuries about saint veneration. what clear quotes show that saint veneration is the blasphemy you say it is.

No, I can ask them to pray for me, but I don't pray to them to pray for me. There is an obvious difference.

pray tell, what is the difference?

That's respectable enough...but, do you have statues of people in your church so when they are not around, you can pray towards their statue and summon their spirit to pray with you?

no, because those on earth have not yet "finished the race." plus I have a phone.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I meant a sacrifice, like an actual sacrifice. we plug into Christ's eternal sacrifice at the Chalice.

But there are other elements of worship too, such a singing and praying, which are not appropriate to address to someone other than God.

yeah, what evidence do you have to support that praying to the saint is the same as worshipping that saint. something concrete and clear from history.

Your own words betray the reality of the practice. Do you pray to the Saint or with the Saint to God?

We have clear words from Scripture that show that praying to God is an act of worship such as Daniel 9. This is obvious and elementary. If Christian tradition cannot abrogate the Scripture, then I think that alone is sufficient to prove my point.

a quick google search shows that there are many quotes from the early centuries about saint veneration. what clear quotes show that saint veneration is the blasphemy you say it is.

While you are correct that ancestor veneration can be documented in the third, early fourth centuries, this does not prove it was the initial practice of the church or that it cannot be subject to abuse. At the end of this post, I will quote Augustine and other church fathers on this.

But again, if simple logic (undertaking acts of worship to anyone other than God is wrong) does not suffice, and the precedent of Scripture itself does not suffice, then all I ca say is is the practice necessary? Can I do fine without it?

pray tell, what is the difference?
Because I am not playing word games, one is petitioning in a divine sense when they are not present and the other is to tell them when we are face to face.

To speak to living people when they are not there is borderline Schizophrenic.

no, because those on earth have not yet "finished the race." plus I have a phone.

So, you would pray to statues of living people if it could be proved definitively that they are saved? How do we know for sure someone dead is saved, as in 100 percent sure? Again, more problems and complications to an unnecessary, easily abused practice.

Out of all the Church Fathers, the earliest mention of a prayer to a Saint is Origen's:

Two of them, namely pleading and thanksgiving, might be offered not only to saints but to people alone in general, whereas supplication should be offered to saints alone, should there be found a Paul or a Peter, who may benefit us and make us worthy to attain authority for the forgiveness of sins.

I do not agree with the article's contention that in the Shepherd of Hermas or in the quotation from Hippolytus, the same practice is spoken of.

So again, if Origen or Methodius did something, and everyone else doesn't really talk about it, that does not prove the issue definitively for me any more than Tertullian opposing infant baptism actually proves infant baptism is wrong. Only the Scriptures can prove right and wrong, tradition informs us how the earliest Christians interpreted Scripture.

Second, let me quote at some length Augustine's account of his mother in Book VI of the Confessions:

When, therefore, my mother had at one time— as was her custom in Africa— brought to the oratories built in the memory of the saints certain cakes, and bread, and wine, and was forbidden by the door-keeper, so soon as she learned that it was the bishop who had forbidden it, she so piously and obediently acceded to it, that I myself marvelled how readily she could bring herself to accuse her own custom, rather than question his prohibition. ... ecause these, so to say, festivals in honour of the dead were very like the superstition of the Gentiles, she most willingly abstained from it. And in lieu of a basket filled with fruits of the earth, she had learned to bring to the oratories of the martyrs a heart full of more purified petitions, and to give all that she could to the poor; that so the communion of the Lord's body might be rightly celebrated there, where, after the example of His passion, the martyrs had been sacrificed and crowned.

So, what this appears to me is a description of Monica dumping an old African practice of essentially partying with the dead and bringing food for them and other worshipers partying with the dead martyrs and replacing it with a solemn worship service where prayers are offered and the sacrament of the Lord's Supper is practice.

Now, I think if you wanted to, you can legitimately can interpret the text to mean that Monica once offered the Saints food but now offered them prayers to themselves. However, I will tell you from my reading of Augustine, why I think that is not the case. In reading Augustine, you will run into tons of theology interrupted by prayers to God, then back to theology, and then back to prayers.

If Monica was indeed praying to Saints instead of praying to God and partaking in a worship service at the martyr's tombs, why does Augustine never offer a single prayer to a saint in any of his writings asking for intercession? This indeed is an argument from silence, but it also takes an argument from silence to say Monica was praying to saints rather than to God at the tombs after she was corrected by Ambrose. However, we do have a litany of examples where Augustine prays specifically to God. The Scripture has only these as well.

Further, how is Monica offering prayers in place of food to the dead? The more logical conclusion is that instead of offering the dead martyrs food she offered them prayers to God on their behalf (which is actually the opposite of praying to a saint so they may pray on our own behalf.) Now, I would have questions about this practice too (and if you read the link, it is this sort of prayer that Hippolytus was offering) but the object of prayer is God and not the saint, so I would say it is as permissible as praying that someone you loved rests in peace or that God may have mercy on their immortal soul.

It is for this reason, we should follow this example and not the example of Origen or anyone else who asked for intercession in the name of anyone else other than God. Because the Scripture is clear, no one intercedes for us other than God alone.

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. (Rom 8:26-27)

Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. (Rom 8:34)

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (1 Tim 2:5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm impressed that we've reached 20+ pages of interaction between Orthodox and Calvinism--at least, something like it ;)

At this point I think I will probably bow out of further discussion, at least for now, since we're going in circles. Having lived through this myself, and having been the one on the other side holding a bible, and confident in my own wisdom and reason, always standing ready to judge all of history and the Church by my own standards (which I masked by calling it "the Bible"), I know already that there was never one "magic bullet" that somehow undid my worldview. I honestly can't even say just what it was. It was lots of things, all kind of swirling together, but maybe more than anything it was the realization that I really was a church unto myself, who just happened to be in "submission" to some Presbyterian elders for so long as they continued to agree with me on stuff. Just like others I saw come and go through that church, who were on fire for Calvinism at first, but then later came to see that the Bible clearly taught something slightly different, or who wanted more modern music, or who didn't like the translation of the scripture we'd switched to, or who came to believe in something a little more like the "Federal Vision Theology," or started to lean toward paedocommunion. Or, who didn't think the libertarian-leaning politics of most of the members was sufficient, and wanted something more like "Dominion Theology." Or who were postmillenial and not amillenial. Some stayed because they didn't think the differences were important enough. Others left. Others stayed a while and then changed their minds.

What was the common thread? Simple. Every man and woman was his or her own little church. Or little Pope. Or Patriarch, or whatever you may choose to call it. Always standing in judgment of the pastor's sermons and elders' teachings, while at the same time claiming to be in submission. It was an act, a big sham. I did the same. Our capacity for self-deception is truly amazing.

Your quote from Augustine contains a notable point you appear to have missed. Monica submitted to the wisdom of her bishop. She didn't strike up an argument. Augustine's other writings have prayers and petitions to Mary, for instance. So evidently he did not condemn prayers to saints. There was something different about this particular instance. What decided that this "party with the dead" was too pagan? The bishop. So too, today, we have bishops whom we trust to exercise wisdom and discernment. Yes, they err. Yes, all must be vigilant. But we also trust in the collective wisdom of the church through the ages. We do such crazy things as think "Gee, if I"m the only baptist in recorded history who believes in the literal real presence, maybe, just maybe, I could be the one who's wrong. Maybe I should actually submit to somebody outside my own head."

So we can go around in circles about whose definition of "prayer" should carry the day, or which way an argument from silence can actually go, or fling snippets of church fathers' writings at each other, or whatever. But we'll just continue to dance around the central issues.

So I'll just offer you an invitation. A challenge, really. Two of them.

First: go and become members of your current church, if you haven't already. Submit to the discernment of your baptist elders. Some Orthodox may jump down my throat for saying that, but I'm flat-out serious! Go join and submit to your baptist church. And when you do, please, be VERY clear with them why you believe in real presence, and why you do not accept the judgment of most of the Protestant reformers. Why you reject the interpretation of all the baptist confessions. Why you think that they are in error. And be sure to ask their permission to continue receiving communion from them. Maybe they'll bless it. If they don't, then do the honorable thing and abstain from communion. And if that isn't acceptable to you, then you may just have to accept that there is likely no established church on this earth that will fit your unique blend of theological beliefs. The point is this: submit to somebody other than yourself.

Second: find an Orthodox parish near you. I'll help you find one. Most conduct services in English. Orthodoxy is a mixed bag in America, that's no secret. But just go and attend a service. We've just started Great Lent so there are plenty of services happening on weeknights, that won't conflict with your Sunday morning worship. Just go and be an observer. Play the role of reporter. Just make notes of what you see and hear (and smell and feel). Find the priest. Argue with him. One thing I can tell you from experience is this: you simply cannot understand or interact with Orthodoxy through textbooks. This really is true of any church, but especially ours. You have to go several times, and just try to absorb it.

I hope you'll take my advice to heart on both counts. :wave:

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few things first: I would appreciate any quotations of Augustine's showing prayer's to Mary. I know he has had some things to say about Mariology, but I am not aware of these.

Second, I was very aware of Monica's submission to Ambrose. We have gone through Clement and Ignatius, I don't think I would have missed that!

But again, at what point is the argument "shut up, don't think, just submit" valid? It certainly was to Job in his situation. But it wasn't to Athanasius in his situation.

And I think this is why a sola scriptura understanding of religion, something that I still maintain the fathers adhered to even though they took tradition very seriously, is ultimately what prevents us from going of the deep end. From your own admission, the EO church like very other has had bishops go off the deep end. So, if you perfectly submit, you risk apostasy if you do so in every situation. Clearly this is not right.

I think ultimately, your decision over a church is due to a desire for absolute certainty and you are uncomfortable that the flawed people around you or your yourself can even provide it. A church that God says He will preserves appears to be a awfully good source of certainty. I totally understand.

But, we must be willing to live with the mystery, the yearning to seek God but never having everything, praying for wisdom, and being content with the measure of faith He has given us.

Just as wives should submit to husbands, people to government, slaves to masters, and children to parents, we must submit to church authority--but never if it compels us to do something that is sin. And what is really sin? Well, what the Scripture says it is. How do we know whether we are interpreting it right? Again, we're at God's mercy in this.

I have no such challenges to issue. I just ask that we always keep the majesty of God in mind. His purposes cannot be thwarted, His ways are beyond tracing out, He is the author of all that is right and He does no wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A few things first: I would appreciate any quotations of Augustine's showing prayer's to Mary. I know he has had some things to say about Mariology, but I am not aware of these.

The one that is most commonly cited reads:

Blessed Virgin Mary,
who can worthily repay you with praise
and thanks for having rescued a fallen world
by your generous consent!
Receive our gratitude,
and by your prayers obtain the pardon of our sins.
Take our prayers into the sanctuary of heaven
and enable them to make our peace with God.

Holy Mary, help the miserable,
strengthen the discouraged,
comfort the sorrowful,
pray for your people,
plead for the clergy,
intercede for all women consecrated to God.
May all who venerate you
feel now your help and protection.
Be ready to help us when we pray,
and bring back to us the answers to our prayers.
Make it your continual concern
to pray for the people of God,
for you were blessed by God
and were made worthy to bear the Redeemer of the world,
who lives and reigns forever.

There are some who believe it's interpolated, or perhaps misattributed. I can't find anything conclusive about it, but there are still scholars who think most or all of Ignatius' letters were forgeries, so nobody will ever be 100% certain about anything.

But let's say it's totally authentic. So what? It wouldn't have any effect on you, right? You'd say "Oh, ok, so he did pray to Mary. Duly noted. He was wrong." It would be another data point to add to an always growing spreadsheet that...accomplishes...what? Nothing, really. Your opinions will remain your opinions.

Second, I was very aware of Monica's submission to Ambrose. We have gone through Clement and Ignatius, I don't think I would have missed that!

But again, at what point is the argument "shut up, don't think, just submit" valid? It certainly was to Job in his situation. But it wasn't to Athanasius in his situation.

Would you like a match for your straw man? Nobody says "Shut up, don't think, just submit." (Or "Pay, pray, and obey" as another jingle goes). So you're arguing against air.

And I think this is why a sola scriptura understanding of religion, something that I still maintain the fathers adhered to even though they took tradition very seriously, is ultimately what prevents us from going of the deep end. From your own admission, the EO church like very other has had bishops go off the deep end. So, if you perfectly submit, you risk apostasy if you do so in every situation. Clearly this is not right.

Which is why we read Scripture and the Fathers. Vigilance is very different from schism, and refusal to submit to anyone, anywhere, until they match our expectations.

I think ultimately, your decision over a church is due to a desire for absolute certainty and you are uncomfortable that the flawed people around you or your yourself can even provide it. A church that God says He will preserves appears to be a awfully good source of certainty. I totally understand.

But, we must be willing to live with the mystery, the yearning to seek God but never having everything, praying for wisdom, and being content with the measure of faith He has given us.

Just as wives should submit to husbands, people to government, slaves to masters, and children to parents, we must submit to church authority--but never if it compels us to do something that is sin. And what is really sin? Well, what the Scripture says it is. How do we know whether we are interpreting it right? Again, we're at God's mercy in this.

I have no such challenges to issue. I just ask that we always keep the majesty of God in mind. His purposes cannot be thwarted, His ways are beyond tracing out, He is the author of all that is right and He does no wrong.

Which is a very eloquent way of saying "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm happy submitting to myself. I'm happy receiving communion from people with my fingers crossed behind my back. I'm happy acting as though I'm in communion with those around me, while I'm actually not." I have to say, I'm very disheartened by your response and total dodge of my challenge to you.

But seriously, receiving communion from those to whom you do not submit, and with whom you do not agree, is basically spiritual fornication. You're dropping by after hours, but still not tying the knot. You're not in communion with your church. You're "friends with benefits." If this doesn't bother your conscience, right down to the core, I don't know whether any amount of spiritual reading or blogging will do much good. At least lay your cards on the table and be willing to pack your bags if you find yourself banned from their table.

For myself, I will happily go up for communion tomorrow, letting my baptized children take it ahead of me, with the rest of the sheep who just can't handle mystery and have to submit blindly to men in funny robes because we just can't think for ourselves.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But there are other elements of worship too, such a singing and praying, which are not appropriate to address to someone other than God.

where does it say that prayer is only to be addressed to God? you are still just repeating that it is wrong, without showing anything concrete that it is. you should be able to post a gazillion Church Father quotes that would call it blasphemy if it was.

Your own words betray the reality of the practice. Do you pray to the Saint or with the Saint to God?

we do both. since they are alive in Christ, praying to them is like asking you to pray for me.

We have clear words from Scripture that show that praying to God is an act of worship such as Daniel 9. This is obvious and elementary. If Christian tradition cannot abrogate the Scripture, then I think that alone is sufficient to prove my point.

the problem is that in Daniel 9, you are still dealing with pre Resurrectional conditions. before Christ's medation in His conception to His Pentecost. so what post Pentecost evidences do you have? in the OT the dead were still dead, but since Christ came and "recreated the cosmos with His blood" to quote St Gregory of Nyssa (I think), the condition of the departed changed.

While you are correct that ancestor veneration can be documented in the third, early fourth centuries, this does not prove it was the initial practice of the church or that it cannot be subject to abuse.

it was shown in the martyrdom of St Polycarp (early second century) and just because something can be abused does not mean it should be done away with.

But again, if simple logic (undertaking acts of worship to anyone other than God is wrong) does not suffice, and the precedent of Scripture itself does not suffice, then all I ca say is is the practice necessary? Can I do fine without it?

you still have not shown anything clear aside from your opinion that it is wrong, and how you read Scripture. and again, asking if it is necessary is just silly. why should I ask you for prayers if I can just go to God?

Because I am not playing word games, one is petitioning in a divine sense when they are not present and the other is to tell them when we are face to face.

who says we are petitioning them in a divine sense?

To speak to living people when they are not there is borderline Schizophrenic.

unless God wills that they can.

So, you would pray to statues of living people if it could be proved definitively that they are saved?

no you don't pray to the statue or the icon, but to the person depticted. when I was deployed, I had a picture of my now wife, and I often kissed it and kept it close. I was not showing love to the ink and paper, but to the woman depticted.

How do we know for sure someone dead is saved, as in 100 percent sure?

the Church reveals it. do you really have any doubts that someone like St Peter is saved?

Again, more problems and complications to an unnecessary, easily abused practice.

only because folks make it complicated

Out of all the Church Fathers, the earliest mention of a prayer to a Saint is Origen's:

Two of them, namely pleading and thanksgiving, might be offered not only to saints but to people alone in general, whereas supplication should be offered to saints alone, should there be found a Paul or a Peter, who may benefit us and make us worthy to attain authority for the forgiveness of sins.

and while that might be the first mention on paper, we have icons that were painted by St Luke, one of which is on the island of Cyprus. and even still, Origen is pretty early, and while his teachings are heretical, his veneration of saints was not the problem.

So, what this appears to me is a description of Monica dumping an old African practice of essentially partying with the dead and bringing food for them and other worshipers partying with the dead martyrs and replacing it with a solemn worship service where prayers are offered and the sacrament of the Lord's Supper is practice.

actually, that merely shows that her practice changed. her veneration of the martyrs was the same, but how she did it was what changed. this is not a correction of saint veneration at all. the line before your underline shows that she still honored the saints, just in a different form.

why does Augustine never offer a single prayer to a saint in any of his writings asking for intercession?

O blessed Virgin Mary, who can worthily repay thee thy just dues of praise and thanksgiving, thou who by the wondrous assent of thy will didst rescue a fallen world? What songs of praise can our weak human nature recite in thy honor, since it is by thy intervention alone that it has found the way to restoration. Accept, then, such poor thanks as we have here to offer, though they be unequal to thy merits; and receiving our vows, obtain by thy prayers the remission of our offenses. Carry thou our prayers within the sanctuary of the heavenly audience, and bring forth from it the antidote of our reconciliation. May the sins we bring before Almighty God through thee, become pardonable through thee; may what we ask for with sure confidence, through thee be granted. Take our offering, grant us our requests, obtain pardon for what we fear, for thou art the sole hope of sinners. Through thee we hope for the remission of our sins, and in thee, O blessed Lady, is our hope of reward. Holy Mary, succour the miserable, help the fainthearted, comfort the sorrowful, pray for thy people, plead for the clergy, intercede for all women consecrated to God; may all who keep thy holy commemoration feel now thy help and protection. Be thou ever ready to assist us when we pray, and bring back to us the answers to our prayers. Make it thy continual care to pray for the people of God, thou who, blessed by God, didst merit to bear the Redeemer of the world, who liveth and reigneth, world without end. Amen. -St Augustine of Hippo

seems he did

It is for this reason, we should follow this example and not the example of Origen or anyone else who asked for intercession in the name of anyone else other than God. Because the Scripture is clear, no one intercedes for us other than God alone.

none of the lines you have shown actually say this. while we agree that only Christ mediates, nowhere does it say He intercedes ALONE. and while He does have a unique intercession before the Father, that does not mean that the saints do not intercede before Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
where does it say that prayer is only to be addressed to God? you are still just repeating that it is wrong, without showing anything concrete that it is. you should be able to post a gazillion Church Father quotes that would call it blasphemy if it was.

However, do you concede the prayer is an act of worship? Being that it is, you should see that there is at least some legitimacy to my viewpoint. It's not like my aversion to the practice is based on absolutely nothing.

the problem is that in Daniel 9, you are still dealing with pre Resurrectional conditions. before Christ's medation in His conception to His Pentecost. so what post Pentecost evidences do you have? in the OT the dead were still dead, but since Christ came and "recreated the cosmos with His blood" to quote St Gregory of Nyssa (I think), the condition of the departed changed.

I am not sure if I agree with this theology, as Christ Himself said God is the God of the living.

it was shown in the martyrdom of St Polycarp (early second century) and just because something can be abused does not mean it should be done away with.

True, but to me there's such a huge risk that the practice grew ut of paganism centuries after the early church was formed. If the practice is not a necessary ordinance set by Christ, if it cannot be done in good conscience I don't think it should be.

you still have not shown anything clear aside from your opinion that it is wrong, and how you read Scripture. and again, asking if it is necessary is just silly. why should I ask you for prayers if I can just go to God?

The difference is that we are commanded to pray with living people, it is ordained by God. So, we do so out of obedience, knowing that God chooses to answer prayers in this way.

the Church reveals it. do you really have any doubts that someone like St Peter is saved?

Good point, but we do have indication in the Scripture that he is, just like Paul. If you were to ask me was St. prosper of Antiquaine saved, I'd say "Well, i think so, all his extant writings betray a man of faith." But, we weren't there with him his whole life so we don't know.

and while that might be the first mention on paper, we have icons that were painted by St Luke, one of which is on the island of Cyprus. and even still, Origen is pretty early, and while his teachings are heretical, his veneration of saints was not the problem.

I do think the deal with these relics is bad archaeology, but I think we are going out of the scope of this conversation.

seems he did

According to an EO website:

Written by Bishop Fulbert of Chartres (ca 951-ca 1029), it appears in his Sermo IX, De Annuntiatione Dominica. The prayer is sometimes attributed to St. Augustine, Book 10, Sermon 18, de Sanctis, since Bishop Fulbert's sermon appeared in the collected works of St. Augustine at one time. However, it is now known that the sermon is not Augustine's, but Bishop Fulbert's.

O Beata Virgo Maria

Not trying to be a nit-picker, and perhaps I can be proved wrong on this point (I haven't read all of Augustine's works) but I jut haven't run across it. And as you would agree, one church father's opinion does not settle it for anyone. Lastly, you would be correct in your contention that there is no explicit rejection of the practice by the fathers, just the abuses of it (as in the example I quoted.)

none of the lines you have shown actually say this. while we agree that only Christ mediates, nowhere does it say He intercedes ALONE. and while He does have a unique intercession before the Father, that does not mean that the saints do not intercede before Him.

If Christ is the only mediator, by definition he mediates alone. WHile there are saints in heaven praying to God, CHrist still mediates for even them. They cannot mediate for us.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
However, do you concede the prayer is an act of worship? Being that it is, you should see that there is at least some legitimacy to my viewpoint. It's not like my aversion to the practice is based on absolutely nothing.

is it an act in worship? yes. is it an act of worship solely for God? no.

I am not sure if I agree with this theology, as Christ Himself said God is the God of the living.

the dead were raised to life again only after the Resurrection. that was what made it possible. before then, all of the dead, even the righteous, were still dead.

True, but to me there's such a huge risk that the practice grew ut of paganism centuries after the early church was formed.

how do you know it grew out of paganism?

If the practice is not a necessary ordinance set by Christ, if it cannot be done in good conscience I don't think it should be.

well, that's you. what evidence do you have to the contrary. something concrete that shows that it is.

The difference is that we are commanded to pray with living people, it is ordained by God. So, we do so out of obedience, knowing that God chooses to answer prayers in this way.

a few lines ago you said that Christ is the God of the living. if the saints are alive in Christ, then I am following that commandment.

Good point, but we do have indication in the Scripture that he is, just like Paul. If you were to ask me was St. prosper of Antiquaine saved, I'd say "Well, i think so, all his extant writings betray a man of faith." But, we weren't there with him his whole life so we don't know.

we weren't with St Peter his whole life, so how can we know?

I do think the deal with these relics is bad archaeology, but I think we are going out of the scope of this conversation.

it's only bad archaeology because you need it to be.

Not trying to be a nit-picker, and perhaps I can be proved wrong on this point (I haven't read all of Augustine's works) but I jut haven't run across it. And as you would agree, one church father's opinion does not settle it for anyone. Lastly, you would be correct in your contention that there is no explicit rejection of the practice by the fathers, just the abuses of it (as in the example I quoted.)

exactly, there is no outright objection, and there are many resources (more than just one Father's opinion) that show that saint veneration was extremely early. nowhere is it equated to idolatry or anything even close to what you are contending. and since we are talking about a faith that came out of Judaism, which affirms only one God to worship, if this was seen as worship of something that should not be, it would have been addressed long ago. read how anal the Fathers are when dealing with heresy, and how anal they are when dealing with those who were dealing with heresy. the idea that something so wrong could have slipped under the radar for so long and became so widespread is pretty absurd. or the Holy Spirit is absent from guiding the Church or doing a poor job of it. and Christ would be doing a poor job as its Head.

If Christ is the only mediator, by definition he mediates alone. WHile there are saints in heaven praying to God, CHrist still mediates for even them. They cannot mediate for us.

it says that where? where does it say, actually say, that saints do not mediate before Christ. Christ is the sole mediator before His Father that is for sure, but where does it say that the saints do not mediate before the Son?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am real happy in this conversation we have found common ground as it pertains to salvation and now we are dividing over issues of ecclesiology (which makes sense, being that we are talking about different churches.)

Let me answer your ecclesiological questions as best I can, bu I am no expert (not that I am an expert on soteriology either.)

is it an act in worship? yes. is it an act of worship solely for God? no.

I don't understand the latter. We're not supposed to solely worship God?

the dead were raised to life again only after the Resurrection. that was what made it possible. before then, all of the dead, even the righteous, were still dead.

Doesn't this contradict what you said that the whole Abraham's bosom being a real event 2000 years ago? Jesus was not yet crucified when the stroy was told.

how do you know it grew out of paganism?

I don't, but it shares rites with paganism as Augustine observed.

we weren't with St Peter his whole life, so how can we know?
Jesus seems to imply it is John 21, and it is implied in 2 Peter.

it's only bad archaeology because you need it to be.

I don't need it or even want it to be. It just is according to the vast majority of archaeologists.

exactly, there is no outright objection, and there are many resources (more than just one Father's opinion) that show that saint veneration was extremely early.
Extremely? No. Sort of early as in 3rd, 4th centuries? Yes.

Nowhere is it equated to idolatry or anything even close to what you are contending. .. read how anal the Fathers are when dealing with heresy, and how anal they are when dealing with those who were dealing with heresy. the idea that something so wrong could have slipped under the radar for so long and became so widespread is pretty absurd.

True, and the latter is a good point though my response to it is that it is not impossible, as by your own standards, they bungled baptism for 400 or so years.

it says that where? where does it say, actually say, that saints do not mediate before Christ. Christ is the sole mediator before His Father that is for sure, but where does it say that the saints do not mediate before the Son?

The meaning of "sole" and "only" precludes others quite simply.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

read the Liturgy, it ain't hidden.

I don't understand the latter. We're not supposed to solely worship God?

I'll try it from another angle. solely worship God? absolutely. but prayer meaning petitions, meaning asking someone something? no. just like I can ask you for prayers, I can ask Mary because she is alive in her Son.

Doesn't this contradict what you said that the whole Abraham's bosom being a real event 2000 years ago? Jesus was not yet crucified when the stroy was told.

no, all three characters were dead. the point of that was that if a lost sinner can petition a saint (Abraham), and get an answer (no), how much moreso now after the Resurrection?

I don't, but it shares rites with paganism as Augustine observed.

so? pagan Egyptians have virgin birth and resurrection stories, pagan Norse have their own Apocalypse, tons of pagans have flood stories. just because something that was pagan was similar, does not mean it is wrong or suspect. it just means it is similar.

Jesus seems to imply it is John 21, and it is implied in 2 Peter.

exactly, the Church revealed it. since St Peter actually walked with Christ, one of the mediums that it has been revealed is the Bible, especially since he was a co-author so-to-speak. the Church continues to do so for saints that came around to this day.

Extremely? No. Sort of early as in 3rd, 4th centuries? Yes.

the martyrdom of St Polycarp is 2nd century, the Liturgy of St James is dated earliest to the year 60 something. so yes, extremely. certainly far more early than the thinking that praying to a saint is akin to idolatry.

True, and the latter is a good point though my response to it is that it is not impossible, as by your own standards, they bungled baptism for 400 or so years.

they did not bungle baptism for 400 years. there have always been crazy offshoots that gain notoriety for a spell. that is the anomaly not the norm. the Church maintaining her doctrine has never been easy, quick, or pretty, but it always works out.

The meaning of "sole" and "only" precludes others quite simply.

right, before the Father. where does it say anything about who can or cannot mediate before the Son? or, where does it say that Christ's mediation is what makes saint intercession possible?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
read the Liturgy, it ain't hidden

Again, it isn't proper discussion to point someone to a whole source without showing a particular in it that substantiates your point. I never pointed you tot he whole of the Didache or AUgustine's COnfessions, but rather pointed you to a section. Can you do the same?

Upvote 0