(Orthodox) Who are our brothers in Christ?

AMM

A Beggar
Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can we consider Baptized Catholics, Protestants, OO, etc. our brothers and sisters in Christ? Do the different jurisdictions have different stances on this? (I can imagine that the jurisdictions which allow marriage between Orthodox Christians and non-Orthodox Christians would perhaps say that, yes, we can call them our brethren, whereas those who limit marriage to only between Orthodox Christians may say that, no, they are not).

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fr Seraphim Rose says somewhere that evangelicals, Protestants, etc. certainly have a relationship with Christ, but need to come to Orthodoxy for the fullness of that relationship.

Personally, I think that attitude you can encounter sometimes that RCs and Protestants and Sola Scriptura folks are all insane demon-worshippers and only we smell like roses is wrong and amazingly prideful.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Can we consider Baptized Catholics, Protestants, OO, etc. our brothers and sisters in Christ? Do the different jurisdictions have different stances on this? (I can imagine that the jurisdictions which allow marriage between Orthodox Christians and non-Orthodox Christians would perhaps say that, yes, we can call them our brethren, whereas those who limit marriage to only between Orthodox Christians may say that, no, they are not).

I certainly do. For one thing, I know my family members are following Christ as best they can, and better than me. And it seems to me as if saying someone is *not* a brother/sister in Christ is like judging their salvation, which I certainly couldn't do. That's just the way it seems to me. Others may have a different take on it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it depends on how you understand brothers and sisters.

To the way I normally speak, a brother or sister in Christ is a Christian. And what place do I have to usurp God's judgement and think He will condemn and reject persons because they aren't officially within the Orthodox Church? If you want my real opinion, I think the grace of God is active wherever He wills, and I know He wants to save persons. I think those who are not Orthodox miss out on certain benefits, but that doesn't mean God can't save them. So as far as I'm concerned, if you call yourself a Christian, then I will accept that and receive you as a brother or sister. Any determination to the contrary is between that person and God - and I have great hopes that every person who nourishes the least bit of grace within themselves will ultimately be saved anyway. I think that's how God would want it. But I don't know anyone's heart or destiny and it's never my place to judge.

But anyone who wants to know, I would urge them into the Church and to fully receive and take advantage of all she has to offer. (Of course some who are baptized Orthodox don't even do that.)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can we consider Baptized Catholics, Protestants, OO, etc. our brothers and sisters in Christ?
The answer is simple.
If you consider us Christian then yes you can have fellowship with us.
If we are not Christian then you shouldn't.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The answer is simple.
If you consider us Christian then yes you can have fellowship with us.
If we are not Christian then you shouldn't.

that's technically not true. read how St Justin Martyr spoke about Trypho the Jew.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that's technically not true. read how St Justin Martyr spoke about Trypho the Jew.

All I know about that is that it is an apologetic explanation of Christianity.
I have no knowledge of how they had fellowship.

I would argue that it is irrelevent in that this thread is about how to treat those who call themselves Christian.
Should I regard the eastern orthodox as pagan or as Christian who follow strange traditions or should you regard those like me who don't follow your traditions and rites as Christian.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All I know about that is that it is an apologetic explanation of Christianity.
I have no knowledge of how they had fellowship.

I would argue that it is irrelevent in that this thread is about how to treat those who call themselves Christian.
Should I regard the eastern orthodox as pagan or as Christian who follow strange traditions or should you regard those like me who don't follow your traditions and rites as Christian.

that's why I said check out what St Justin said about him, not to him.

my point was if St Justin could treat a Jew as a brother, certainly can for other Christians.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
that's why I said check out what St Justin said about him, not to him.

my point was if St Justin could treat a Jew as a brother, certainly can for other Christians.

Provided we are regarded as Christian.

History shows that all sides have not always done so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

That certainly goes both ways ... ironically IMO.

Christians in a number of Orthodox countries are confused when "missionaries" come and try to "convert them to Christianity".

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I think if you believe in Christ, you are a Christian. my point was that brotherhood can be shared even to non-Christians.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christians in a number of Orthodox countries are confused when "missionaries" come and try to "convert them to Christianity".
It would probably be instructive for me, but I'm glad I haven't overheard any of those conversations.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We are all children of God (who else is our Father?), even people who suffer from mental illness or intellectual disability so severe that it's not clear how they could ever "confess belief in the risen Christ." Muslims, Protestants, EO, OO, RCs, Sola Scriptura, Evangelicals, TV "prosperity gospel" people, Buddhists of all stripes, pagans, atheists, people who make us ill, bullies, sex addicts, murderers, reality TV stars, hierarchs who behave poorly, people we hate, inappropriate content stars, people who hate us, the homeless, people who have many homes...

As much as we don't treat them like our brothers and sisters (even if they are not / don't want to be our brothers and sisters in Christ), that's how much we make ourselves liars when we say the Lord's Prayer...do we mean that God is our Father? If so, do they have some other Father? No. So are they our siblings as God's children? Yes...quite regardless of any other consideration...

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fr Seraphim Rose says somewhere that evangelicals, Protestants, etc. certainly have a relationship with Christ, but need to come to Orthodoxy for the fullness of that relationship.

Personally, I think that attitude you can encounter sometimes that RCs and Protestants and Sola Scriptura folks are all insane demon-worshippers and only we smell like roses is wrong and amazingly prideful.
Although I have noted a rosy scent about myself lately...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would probably be instructive for me, but I'm glad I haven't overheard any of those conversations.
Well there's an online book published I think by a Baptist denomination for the purpose of supposedly explaining Orthodoxy to their missionaries so they can "correct" the Orthodox folks. It is full of misinformation and misunderstandings. Otherwise I've heard personally from folks from Romania, Belarus, etc. who are perplexed when people come to tell them about Christ, yet seek to turn them from their faith.

I can try to find the book if you think it would be helpful.

• Winner
Reactions: Andrei D
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can try to find the book if you think it would be helpful.
If you run into it or it's very easy for you to dig up, sure. But please don't go to any special trouble. Sooner or later, I will be in the reverse position...

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Blanket statements are difficult to approve. Individuals certainly can show forth the love of Christ and be like brothers even if we choose to not call them such. There are some groups, such as Coptics, that make it a little easier to make a blanket statement though.

So, I don't know.

Reactions: nutroll
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,283.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you run into it or it's very easy for you to dig up, sure. But please don't go to any special trouble. Sooner or later, I will be in the reverse position...
Here ya go :)
http://roboam.com/BB_E_Orthodox_Manual.pdf

Also, during the Athens Olympics, YWAM and other evangelical groups were targeting Orthodox christians all over Greece.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think if you believe in Christ, you are a Christian. my point was that brotherhood can be shared even to non-Christians.

That depends on what you mean by 'brotherhood'.
if its sharing in politics, sport, a pop idol etc yes but being a brother in the Lord no.

Upvote 0