1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Orthodox View on Psychopathy

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dietrich Johnson, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    What is the Orthodox view on Psychopathy? Is it acknowledged and considered something akin to a spiritual disease, or a form of demonic influence, etc? In particular, I'm wondering about those people (who do exist if we're honest with ourselves) that are adept at feigning religious piety for appearances/trust while simultaneously living a double life of hidden sins and evil of the worst kind. In some cases they are exposed by someone with credibility, but it seems some can go on undetected (by those in a church) perhaps indefinitely. Thoughts on this important topic?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,010
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’d say it exists as a mental disorder, demonic influence, or both.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I've been thinking more about this. I wonder if there are really two extremes humans can theoretically become, along the continuum of degrees for good vs evil. One extreme is true Christ-likeness - with the goal of becoming like Christ (as much as a person can be). The other extreme is one of pure evil, a satanic-like person (despite the convincing appearance/form of godliness) with the goal of becoming more and more evil. Then there are many people in between the extremes on the continuum.

Along these lines, I'm wondering how one should strive to stay encouraged when they see evil in its pure form (as described here and in the OP). What Psalms or Scriptures, etc would be encouraging to read?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,010
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    definitely read all of the Psalms, Job, the Gospel (especially Mark), etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Dietrich Johnson

Dietrich Johnson Member

+31
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, they must be miserable. But I wonder what you mean about being removed and removing themselves from communion with others. The high-functioning psychopaths seem extremely charming and skillful at hiding their true nature. In fact, I've met several that are adept at feigning religious piety for appearances/trust while simultaneously living a double life of hidden sins and evil of the worst kind. In some cases they are exposed by someone with credibility, but it seems some can go on undetected (by those in a church) perhaps indefinitely.