Visit site
✟674,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always heard the argument that the New Covenant changed the day of worship to 'The First Day of the Week, ' Christians worship on 1st Day: Ats 20:7 & 1 Corinthians 16:1-2

The SDA denomination argues for Saturday worship. I know Catholics worship either/ or but that always seemed like it was out of convenience or for utilitarian reasons since their numbers are so large.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath is still the Sabbath (Saturday). But we are not legally obligated to hold to the old laws of Judaism. (Dietary laws, circumcision, and such)

The Lord's Day is Sunday, and that was a primary day of gathering together in the early Church. We celebrate the Resurrection on Sundays. (Each day of the week has a significance we commemorate.)

But again, not in a legalistic sense. Church services can and do happen on every day, depending on the ability of the local celebrants to have services. That can be multiple times a day in a monastery, or not even once a week if the priest must travel to different communities. Feast days can happen on any day of the week. But we most often try to have regular Sunday Liturgy at a minimum.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Howdy you all!
I want to ask what does the Orthodox Church believe the Day of Worship is, and how it is related to both Saturday and Sunday.
I also wanted to allow non-Orthodox to participate.

Thanks!

Canon 29 of the Council of Laodicea

Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Sabbath is still the Sabbath (Saturday). But we are not legally obligated to hold to the old laws of Judaism. (Dietary laws, circumcision, and such)

The Lord's Day is Sunday, and that was a primary day of gathering together in the early Church. We celebrate the Resurrection on Sundays. (Each day of the week has a significance we commemorate.)

But again, not in a legalistic sense. Church services can and do happen on every day, depending on the ability of the local celebrants to have services. That can be multiple times a day in a monastery, or not even once a week if the priest must travel to different communities. Feast days can happen on any day of the week. But we most often try to have regular Sunday Liturgy at a minimum.
I heard that since the Commandment of keeping the Shabat is part of the 10 Commandments, then it is not a ritual like circumcision was.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I heard that since the Commandment of keeping the Shabat is part of the 10 Commandments, then it is not a ritual like circumcision was.
All I can say is that because the resurrected Christ appeared to them several times on Sunday, it is called "The Lord's Day" by the Apostles and the Church especially began to meet on Sundays (the first day of the week).

But the "remember" part and the "keep Holy" can apply to every day for us.

Other than that - it's above my pay grade. :)

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I did an exhaustive study on this non-sense.

We can worship the Lord any day! If they read the Bible, they will see for themselves.

Before I start I'll point out that I am not an expert; studying non-sense is not useful. We may feel that we have free will to worship the Lord on any day but our will is not free, there is always a price; either the death of Christ or the second death of our self. There is worship which should be on all days; then there is fellow ship; the Sabbath is rest from the daily grind, but also fellowship with God, as with the feast days, and God has specified when to do this. The Sabbath is much more than worship, rest and fellowship; The forth commandment distinguishes the God of Israel from the Pope, from Allah and any other God that might come along.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we don't worship on Saturday because of the reasons others have said. however, since every Sunday is a mini Pascha, Saturday is a mini Holy Saturday when we remember the blessed Sabbath when Christ rests in the Tomb.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Howdy you all!
I want to ask what does the Orthodox Church believe the Day of Worship is, and how it is related to both Saturday and Sunday.
I also wanted to allow non-Orthodox to participate.

Thanks!
You're going to find out a lot of useful information on Orthodoxy from non-Orthodox, aren't you?

Christ is born! Glorify Him!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You're going to find out a lot of useful information on Orthodoxy from non-Orthodox, aren't you?

Christ is born! Glorify Him!
Well, my purpose is to allow non-Orthodox to discuss why they don't agree with the idea and for the Orthodox to answer back.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Both Saturday and Sundays are festive days in Orthodoxy. That's why during Great Lent the Divine Liturgy can be celebrated on both Saturdays and Sundays but NOT on the weekdays of Lent. Also a strict fast of xerophagy is forbidden on Saturdays and Sundays except for one day out of the year, which is the holy Saturday before Easter Sunday.
So while the customary day of worship is Sunday (Lord's day) at monasteries the Liturgy will be held every Saturday and Sunday throughout the year.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,116.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sunday (Κυριακή) is the eighth day, it is the new day that the Lord has made, an eternal day with no sunset following. It breaks out of the endless cycle of seven days.
The Sabbath rest prefigured God resting in the tomb. Since God is spirit and has no need of rest, His resting on the seventh was pointing forward to the incarnation where God became man. The Sabbath has been fulfilled in Christ and has been superseded by His resurrection on the eighth day.
As Christians we have no need to follow the shadows of the Old Testament as they have all been fulfilled and given new meaning.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,658.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sunday (Κυριακή) is the eighth day, it is the new day that the Lord has made, an eternal day with no sunset following. It breaks out of the endless cycle of seven days.
The Sabbath rest prefigured God resting in the tomb. Since God is spirit and has no need of rest, His resting on the seventh was pointing forward to the incarnation where God became man. The Sabbath has been fulfilled in Christ and has been superseded by His resurrection on the eighth day.
As Christians we have no need to follow the shadows of the Old Testament as they have all been fulfilled and given new meaning.

Where does scripture say the eighth day has no sunset, or what other authority says so?

Genesis 2:2 (NKJV)
2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The 8th day (aka the first) is the symbolic day of a new creation due to the ressurection. Mentions of an 8th day in the OT are foreshadows of this new beginning leviticus 23:39
On the first day of creation God created Light and yet this first day was eternal as the beginning of the creation of heaven and earth and the luminary bodies did not start until the 2nd day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums