stmaryofegypt3

Nov 12, 2005
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends in Christ,
I am mostly a lurker here but now I have a question especially for former Catholics but anyone else can chime in too. I am a former Catholic converting to the Eastern Orthodox Church. Praise God!!

A Catholic priest posed 2 questions....what about in the Gospel where Jesus gives the keys to Peter and also when Jesus tells Peter to feed his sheep. Of course he is referring to the authority of the Pope. But I was just wondering how you would respond.

I appreciate your help.
In Christ and the Theotokos,
Marie

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to TAW, Marie.

When Jesus told Peter to feed his sheep, you have to read the whole section in context. Peter had recently denied Christ three times, so Christ asked Peter to affirm Him three times.

The Keys were not only given to Peter but to all the Apostles.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He tells Peter "freed my sheep", not "rule my sheep". The Orthodox don't deny that he was first among equals. He was corrected by Paul in Galatians 2:11-14
Here's some interesting commentary from http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/papal_supremacy.aspx

With regard to the other verse which you cite, St. Theophylact of Ochrid points out that the words, "I will give unto thee,""...were spoken to Peter alone, yet they were given to all the apostles," since Christ also said, Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted." (The Explanation by Blessed Theophylact of the Holy Gospel According to St. Matthew [House Springs, MO: Chrysostom Press, 1994], p. 141.) The second verse to which St. Theophylact refers is St. John 20:23. As the translator rightly observes, the verb "remit" is in the second person plural, and thus refers not to St. Peter alone, but to all of the Apostles
As for the "controversial verse" (St. Matthew 16:18), St. Theophylact, following St. John Chrysostomos and the overwhelming consensus of both Greek and Latin Fathers, interprets the words "this rock" to denote St. Peters confession of faith in the Divinity of Christ, and not the Apostles person. Any other interpretation would, of course, violate the Christocentric nature of the Church and the rather clear Scriptural affirmation that "Christ is the head of the Church" (Ephesians 5:23) and the "head of the Body" (Colossians 1:18).

Upvote 0

kamikat

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to add that you are not alone. I struggled with this issue for a long time. All of a sudden, I woke up one morning, and my doubts were gone. To be honest, you can read either side of the argument and they both make sense. In the end, only with prayer and fasting, will you begin to understand the issue in the way that He wants you to understand it. We can not sway you with intellectual arguements. Only the Holy Spirit can move you.

Upvote 0

stmaryofegypt3

Nov 12, 2005
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to add that you are not alone. I struggled with this issue for a long time. All of a sudden, I woke up one morning, and my doubts were gone. To be honest, you can read either side of the argument and they both make sense. In the end, only with prayer and fasting, will you begin to understand the issue in the way that He wants you to understand it. We can not sway you with intellectual arguements. Only the Holy Spirit can move you.
Actually I do not have an issue with this. I was just asking to see how others would respond to these questions.
Thanks to all who responded. Peace!
Marie

Upvote 0

stmaryofegypt3

Nov 12, 2005
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to TAW, Marie.

When Jesus told Peter to feed his sheep, you have to read the whole section in context. Peter had recently denied Christ three times, so Christ asked Peter to affirm Him three times.

The Keys were not only given to Peter but to all the Apostles.
Thanks for the welcome! I don't know how I missed your message before. Must be old age! Ha! I've been lurking a long time and been on the road to Orthodoxy even longer. Thank God I've finally made it!

Upvote 0

kamikat

Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually I do not have an issue with this. I was just asking to see how others would respond to these questions.
Thanks to all who responded. Peace!
Marie

Well, I get this question alot from my Catholic family. They've heard the Orthodox answers to these questions over and over. I'm tired of giving them. Now, I just ask them to pray about it and to pray for me. That usually stops the conversation.

Upvote 0

stmaryofegypt3

Nov 12, 2005
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know what you mean. This is the first reaction I get from many Catholics which is normal since it has been ingrained into Catholic minds since day one. "You are not under the Pope?" is a question often asked. I can totally understand this question.
I don't mean this in a negative sense since I received so much from the Catholic Church that I am forever grateful, especially because that is where I first learned about Orthodoxy.
Peace to you in Christ,
Marie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marie... from your OP, it seems you have an interesting take on this:

A Catholic priest posed 2 questions....what about in the Gospel where Jesus gives the keys to Peter and also when Jesus tells Peter to feed his sheep. Of course he is referring to the authority of the Pope. But I was just wondering how you would respond.

What did you mean by the bolded above. Was that YOU speaking or your priest? I'm not concerned at all for I happen to believe that Rome is somehow special (its just not where the Church finds Her identity, so the Church doesn't NEED Rome to remain with the Petrine Ministry), but I was just curious what YOUR view on all this was. If you think it is controversial or you are afraid people might jump all over you, feel free to PM me. I really am genuinely interested in other POVs regarding Rome. I think the truth is halfway between what modern Catholics claim and what mainstream American Orthodox tend to claim. I don't think it's an easy question, but I think Orthodoxy allows for enough diversity in opinion on this matter that a sensible conclusion can be made without going to either extreme regarding the Seat of Peter.

John

Upvote 0

stmaryofegypt3

Nov 12, 2005
✟7,655.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Marie... from your OP, it seems you have an interesting take on this:

What did you mean by the bolded above. Was that YOU speaking or your priest? I'm not concerned at all for I happen to believe that Rome is somehow special (its just not where the Church finds Her identity, so the Church doesn't NEED Rome to remain with the Petrine Ministry), but I was just curious what YOUR view on all this was. If you think it is controversial or you are afraid people might jump all over you, feel free to PM me. I really am genuinely interested in other POVs regarding Rome. I think the truth is halfway between what modern Catholics claim and what mainstream American Orthodox tend to claim. I don't think it's an easy question, but I think Orthodoxy allows for enough diversity in opinion on this matter that a sensible conclusion can be made without going to either extreme regarding the Seat of Peter.

John
Yes, those are my words because that is his concern. (btw I received these questions second hand) I did not have a relationship with any of the priests at my previous parish so I have no fears nor do I feel I as if I have to give them an answer. My mind was made up about Orthodoxy many years ago.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.