United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ramesses said:
Go to www.youtube.com and enter "orthodox introduction". et voila, someone has done the hard work for you.

Personally I like the audio broadcasts from "our life in Christ" on Ancient Faith Radio

I think he's probably looking for something with a higher res than YouTube though, as he did say he wants to watch them in a group setting.

In Christ,
Reader Nikolai

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Spyridon said:
Does anyone know of any introductory videos about Orthodoxy that would be good to use in a group setting?

These two look like something that I may be looking for. Have any of you viewed these? If so what what do you think of them?

http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=ANCI100
http://www.light-n-life.com/shopping/order_product.asp?ProductNum=ORTH060

I own the first video and don't really like it. It has some nice imagery, but it has one section that bothered me and my godfather when we watched it, in which a descendant of Zacceus describes our salvation by Christ as a sort of "loophole" we can use to escape death. The term "loophole" makes it sound like we're taking advantage of some opportunity, rather than humbling receiving with gratitude that which God freely gives. The conotation of "loophole," to me, seems to suggest unethically or unfairly using a way way out of something, like using loopholes to not pay your fair share of taxes. It may be just me, but that one section really made me not inclined to loan the video out.

Basil

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
GOarch puts out a set of 3 videos that covers the history of the Church, and I thought it was very good.

http://www.goarch.org/en/multimedia/video/

History of Orthodox Christianity (3 Part Series)
Our series views the foundation and growth of the Orthodox Church through historic milestones and geographic locations connected to specific eras, examining the formation of major aspects of the Holy Tradition.​
  • Part 1: Beginnings
    Our journey begins with the founding of the Church, the spread of Christianity to "nations" by the Apostles, the Gospel and the institution of Sacraments.​
  • Part 2: Byzantium
    After the stabilization of the Church, the journey continues through the period of the Nicene Creed, Patristic Scriptures, Divine Liturgy and Icons. During this same period, however, the official division of East and West is witnessed and concludes with a gradual rift in matters of faith, dogma, church customs, politics and culture.​
  • Part 3: A Hidden Treasure
    The Church becomes the only institution perceived by Greeks as the preserver of their national identity during 400 years of Turkish rule. By the end of the 19th century, a worldwide Orthodox community is born and the Church expands its influence to major social and philanthropic concerns.​

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.