California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is everyone's convictions for it being the true church, and not the RCC? I was raised Catholic but not too long ago I was very strongly considering orthodoxy. The only thing I was a tad scared of was the ethnic churches so to speak, I am in no way a racist! So, I know that sounds really bad, but an example is one time I ended up going to a korean mass somehow (I was out of town) and I was the only person there that was obviously not korean and I felt totally out of place. That being said I know it's a personal issue and I can get over it. Also what do you think about things like Fatima? I get mailings all the time that say if I don't pray the rosary everyday we're going to have ww3 and our world will end which completely freaks me out....anyway I'm rambling but i'm trying to decide whats best for me.

Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A nice little Orthodox Church (anywhere from 10 to 50 people) can be the best community to be a member of where there is good leadership, a strong unilateral sense of commitment to one another, and determination on every members part to remain united in the Faith through love and forgiveness.

This is a rare find, so you must do your part to build such a community in Christ, and encourage all the other members to do the same (and they you). This is the true Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What is everyone's convictions for it being the true church, and not the RCC? I was raised Catholic but not too long ago I was very strongly considering orthodoxy. The only thing I was a tad scared of was the ethnic churches so to speak, I am in no way a racist! So, I know that sounds really bad, but an example is one time I ended up going to a korean mass somehow (I was out of town) and I was the only person there that was obviously not korean and I felt totally out of place. That being said I know it's a personal issue and I can get over it. Also what do you think about things like Fatima? I get mailings all the time that say if I don't pray the rosary everyday we're going to have ww3 and our world will end which completely freaks me out....anyway I'm rambling but i'm trying to decide whats best for me.

Actually, in the western US, "ethnic" parishes are probably the minority.

AFAIK, we don't really think too much about Fatima and other apparitions, one way or the other.

Mary

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

No we don't believe in those mailings. The only minor tradition we have is that their are certain monks and nuns that pray for the world unceasing and with great piety and its pleasing enough to God to spare us from the catastrophe our sins would bring us. .

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One thing to consider with ethnicity is that it does not affect the general disposition of any social group to be friendly or not. Our particular church is of Syrian heritage with most of the parishoners being 2nd to 4th generation Americans (most of mixed heritage)with a few new Syrians (some related to the Americans) & a couple of converts. The majority of people are nice and also set in their ways (not in an anti social sense) but in a way that hinders adaptability to survive in a changing society. I am a convert & partially an ethnic since I attend the same church where my father was cradle Orthodox.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
for starters, welcome to TAW!

The only thing I was a tad scared of was the ethnic churches so to speak, I am in no way a racist!

yeah, that can seem intimidating. all I can say is that in my experience, even at the really ethnic Churches I have felt at home. most in the US are not ethnic that I have seen, since many converts are becoming Orthodox.

Also what do you think about things like Fatima?

stuff that happens outside of the Church is not our place to judge, but God's. so if it is a legit miracle, glory to God. if not, it's nothing for us to fret over. God knows.

I get mailings all the time that say if I don't pray the rosary everyday we're going to have ww3 and our world will end which completely freaks me out....anyway I'm rambling but i'm trying to decide whats best for me.

no one knows. I don't think WWIII will kick off because someone stops praying the Rosary however many times a day.

hope you stick around!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Marie, I've been reading your posts for a while now, and frankly, I've seen "Orthodox" written all over your cyber forehead, girl. We'd love to have you, and YES, we are the "real deal."

The ethnic thing? Well, depends on where you are and I'll say it's getting WAY better!

My parish is a United Nations of people! We are called "St. Peter the Apostle Serbian Orthodox Church," but the funny thing is ONLY ABOUT 1/8 OF THE PARISH IS SERB! We have many Russians, but a ton of just plain ole Anglos like me from Catholic backgrounds and many from Anglican or other Protestant backgrounds. There are Mexicans, Italians, a German guy (FROM Germany!) who is married to a Russian woman, a few Greeks, a Spanish woman (not Mexican, from Spain), you name it! We have everything. Many languages, many backgrounds.

If you think about it, Catholicism is super "ethnic," too! When I used to go to Mass here in town, every single Mass was AT LEAST 75% Mexicans!!! Then the other part was Portuguese folks and Filipinos with a hand full of Italians and Polish. Guys like me who got their Catholicism from Irish ancestry are the minority. When it comes to ethnic stuff, you can find Catholic parishes that are 100% Mexican, Spanish-only Masses, parishes that are 100% Polish, parishes that are 100% Portuguese, on and on. People bring their culture to their religious life, kind of unavoidable!

But I will say that NOBODY has done as amazing a job of keeping uniformity of worship across ALL cultural lines than the Orthodox! Whether you're in Belgrade, Serbia, Moscow, Russia, Damascus, Syria, Athens, Greece, or Columbus, Ohio IT'S THE SAME LITURGY! :) No liberties taken, no lazy shortcuts, nothing bogus, no feel-good modern b.s., nothing clipped and omitted, just devotion to the Almighty THAT HE DESERVES!

You'll be truly surprised when you take the plunge how awesome the Divine Liturgy is. In comparison, the Catholic modern Novus Ordo Mass PAAAAALES in comparison!! I mean PALES! It's like driving a Ferrari vs. driving a Hyundai. :p

You will find healing rather than legalism with us. You will find a God triumphant over death, a brave conqueror, rather than a victim and a pacifier of an angry God. You'll find incense where there is none in the Mass. You'll find the priest facing the altar and all of us joining him in that direction, lifting ourselves up to heaven, not bringing God DOWN or focusing on humanity. You'll find rich vestments, lovely wording, everything sung and chanted, people standing in the presence of the King of Kings rather than being spectators sitting there watching events unfold. You'll see veneration, lots of crossing, a ton of reverence, LEAVENED BREAD (thanks be to God!), and the holy icons!!!! There is just too much to describe. Marie, you just have to go! It's something that neither I nor Army Matt nor Knee-V nor Thekla nor Rusmeister can describe online to you. It's an EVENT. It's an ODYSSEY! It's the Divine Liturgy! 'nuff said!

You'll find you're not "selling out" your Catholicism becoming Orthodox. In fact, you're GETTING IT BACK! In 1054 the West made off with your Orthodoxy! It's time you go reclaim it! :thumbsup::)

Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
=gurneyh65309511]Marie, I've been reading your posts for a while now, and frankly, I've seen "Orthodox" written all over your cyber forehead, girl. We'd love to have you, and YES, we are the "real deal."

The ethnic thing? Well, depends on where you are and I'll say it's getting WAY better!

My parish is a United Nations of people! We are called "St. Peter the Apostle Serbian Orthodox Church," but the funny thing is ONLY ABOUT 1/8 OF THE PARISH IS SERB! We have many Russians, but a ton of just plain ole Anglos like me from Catholic backgrounds and many from Anglican or other Protestant backgrounds. There are Mexicans, Italians, a German guy (FROM Germany!) who is married to a Russian woman, a few Greeks, a Spanish woman (not Mexican, from Spain), you name it! We have everything. Many languages, many backgrounds.

If you think about it, Catholicism is super "ethnic," too! When I used to go to Mass here in town, every single Mass was AT LEAST 75% Mexicans!!! Then the other part was Portuguese folks and Filipinos with a hand full of Italians and Polish. Guys like me who got their Catholicism from Irish ancestry are the minority. When it comes to ethnic stuff, you can find Catholic parishes that are 100% Mexican, Spanish-only Masses, parishes that are 100% Polish, parishes that are 100% Portuguese, on and on. People bring their culture to their religious life, kind of unavoidable!

But I will say that NOBODY has done as amazing a job of keeping uniformity of worship across ALL cultural lines than the Orthodox! Whether you're in Belgrade, Serbia, Moscow, Russia, Damascus, Syria, Athens, Greece, or Columbus, Ohio IT'S THE SAME LITURGY! :) No liberties taken, no lazy shortcuts, nothing bogus, no feel-good modern b.s., nothing clipped and omitted, just devotion to the Almighty THAT HE DESERVES!

You'll be truly surprised when you take the plunge how awesome the Divine Liturgy is. In comparison, the Catholic modern Novus Ordo Mass PAAAAALES in comparison!! I mean PALES! It's like driving a Ferrari vs. driving a Hyundai. :p

You will find healing rather than legalism with us. You will find a God triumphant over death, a brave conqueror, rather than a victim and a pacifier of an angry God. You'll find incense where there is none in the Mass. You'll find the priest facing the altar and all of us joining him in that direction, lifting ourselves up to heaven, not bringing God DOWN or focusing on humanity. You'll find rich vestments, lovely wording, everything sung and chanted, people standing in the presence of the King of Kings rather than being spectators sitting there watching events unfold. You'll see veneration, lots of crossing, a ton of reverence, LEAVENED BREAD (thanks be to God!), and the holy icons!!!! There is just too much to describe. Marie, you just have to go! It's something that neither I nor Army Matt nor Knee-V nor Thekla nor Rusmeister can describe online to you. It's an EVENT. It's an ODYSSEY! It's the Divine Liturgy! 'nuff said!

You'll find you're not "selling out" your Catholicism becoming Orthodox. In fact, you're GETTING IT BACK! In 1054 the West made off with your Orthodoxy! It's time you go reclaim it! :thumbsup::)[/QUOTE]t

I'm actually Italian so I'm totally ethnic lol. I guess since so many Orthodox are Russian I've kind of assumed that I need to be Russian, or something. Lol. I'm actually close to you. You live in Fresno right? I live in Tehachapi, and probably moving to Bakersfield soon. There's a church in Bakersfield I've been meaning to check out. Just scared to. Lol. I just don't feel home in the rcc. I know it's impossible To feel wonderful all the time, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me. It's just so doom and gloom. I know a lot of people go oh no its not but it totally is. Plus i just got told by a decon I was basically a complete heathen for my past mistakes which I find insane. I really like what I've seen of orthodoxy. I just need to learn more I suppose.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess since so many Orthodox are Russian I've kind of assumed that I need to be Russian, or something.

just be the Italian American that you are. I am half German half Brit with a dash of Native American for good measure. even if the Church's label is Russian or Antiochian or Greek or whatever, it is the same message of salvation given to the Italians and the Germans. like I (may have) said earlier, I have been to many jurisdictions, and some of them were very ethnic, and I have never once not felt at home.

I just need to learn more I suppose.

the best way to learn is to attend a service and talk to Father afterwards. I remember having the jitters when I first started looking into Orthodoxy, but I was welcomed with open arms and I could not see myself as anything else.

There's a church in Bakersfield I've been meaning to check out.

I checked out the canonical Greek Church Bakersfield CA, and they seem very active and convert friendly, so I imagine you will be fine. the priest is an RC convert as well, so he would be a great resource.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you'd like to build up your courage PLEASE come to Fresno just one Sunday, I beg you, and I'll have you sit near me and we can go to Divine Liturgy together. Since you won't be living in Fresno, there's no strings if you decide it's not for you! I'll just show you the liturgy, the ropes so to speak, and you can experience the beautiful journey. Then you go back to Bakersfield and try out the parish there. Yes, there is an Orthodox parish there for sure, but if you'd like to check out our parish first just for kicks to get an idea what it's all about, we'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to have you!!!

You just IM me if you're interested! No pressure. If you think it's too far to drive and stuff, that's totally cool!

I understand your trepidation. Joseph Hazen, a poster in here, was VERY kind to me and introduced me to Orthodoxy inviting me to his parish, and I was VERY nervous! But after a few times, it felt pretty good.

Today I went to a Catholic funeral and going back to the Catholic Church was a SERIOUS trip in the wrong direction for me! It only reinforced that I did the right thing leaving!

=gurneyh65309511]Marie, I've been reading your posts for a while now, and frankly, I've seen "Orthodox" written all over your cyber forehead, girl. We'd love to have you, and YES, we are the "real deal."

You'll find you're not "selling out" your Catholicism becoming Orthodox. In fact, you're GETTING IT BACK! In 1054 the West made off with your Orthodoxy! It's time you go reclaim it! :thumbsup::)
t

I'm actually Italian so I'm totally ethnic lol. I guess since so many Orthodox are Russian I've kind of assumed that I need to be Russian, or something. Lol. I'm actually close to you. You live in Fresno right? I live in Tehachapi, and probably moving to Bakersfield soon. There's a church in Bakersfield I've been meaning to check out. Just scared to. Lol. I just don't feel home in the rcc. I know it's impossible To feel wonderful all the time, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me. It's just so doom and gloom. I know a lot of people go oh no its not but it totally is. Plus i just got told by a decon I was basically a complete heathen for my past mistakes which I find insane. I really like what I've seen of orthodoxy. I just need to learn more I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it HILARIOUS how small a world Orthodoxy really is!? That parish is about one hour from me and look how far away you live! Small world, bro.

just be the Italian American that you are. I am half German half Brit with a dash of Native American for good measure. even if the Church's label is Russian or Antiochian or Greek or whatever, it is the same message of salvation given to the Italians and the Germans. like I (may have) said earlier, I have been to many jurisdictions, and some of them were very ethnic, and I have never once not felt at home.

the best way to learn is to attend a service and talk to Father afterwards. I remember having the jitters when I first started looking into Orthodoxy, but I was welcomed with open arms and I could not see myself as anything else.

I checked out the canonical Greek Church Bakersfield CA, and they seem very active and convert friendly, so I imagine you will be fine. the priest is an RC convert as well, so he would be a great resource.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Today I went to a Catholic funeral and going back to the Catholic Church was a SERIOUS trip in the wrong direction for me! It only reinforced that I did the right thing leaving!
Thats been my experience as well. I was raised in the Anglican Church in Australia but found my way to Orthodoxy after marrying my beautiful wife and us moving to Greece for 12 years. We have gone with my parents to their Church a few times since coming back to Oz and it has been the most saddening experience for us. I could never go back even if I wanted to. There is nothing there for us anymore.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it HILARIOUS how small a world Orthodoxy really is!? That parish is about one hour from me and look how far away you live! Small world, bro.

haha, sorry dude, I meant I checked out their website. although you are right, I think there are only 3 degrees of separation in Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟17,406.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you'd like to build up your courage PLEASE come to Fresno just one Sunday, I beg you, and I'll have you sit near me and we can go to Divine Liturgy together. Since you won't be living in Fresno, there's no strings if you decide it's not for you! I'll just show you the liturgy, the ropes so to speak, and you can experience the beautiful journey. Then you go back to Bakersfield and try out the parish there. Yes, there is an Orthodox parish there for sure, but if you'd like to check out our parish first just for kicks to get an idea what it's all about, we'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to have you!!!

You just IM me if you're interested! No pressure. If you think it's too far to drive and stuff, that's totally cool!

I understand your trepidation. Joseph Hazen, a poster in here, was VERY kind to me and introduced me to Orthodoxy inviting me to his parish, and I was VERY nervous! But after a few times, it felt pretty good.

t

I'm actually Italian so I'm totally ethnic lol. I guess since so many Orthodox are Russian I've kind of assumed that I need to be Russian, or something. Lol. I'm actually close to you. You live in Fresno right? I live in Tehachapi, and probably moving to Bakersfield soon. There's a church in Bakersfield I've been meaning to check out. Just scared to. Lol. I just don't feel home in the rcc. I know it's impossible To feel wonderful all the time, it just doesn't feel 'right' to me. It's just so doom and gloom. I know a lot of people go oh no its not but it totally is. Plus i just got told by a decon I was basically a complete heathen for my past mistakes which I find insane. I really like what I've seen of orthodoxy. I just need to learn more I suppose.
[/quote]

Sorry it took so long to reply! My life has been utterly insane these past few days, my fiance is looking into a complete industry change going from wind energy to oil like his father so we're looking into moving and all kinds of stuff! I would love to come to fresno! It probably wouldn't be for a few weeks but I will most certainly let you know and I am very thankful that you asked me. It means a lot. I'm kind of in a spiritual slump right now. I'm still making myself pray everyday but I am a bit burned out. Is there anything you would recommend? Prayers, or any EO practices outside of church? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You might want to enter: " A pocket prayerbook for Orthodox Christians" on google etc. It contains the daily prayers of the church, the liturgy, order of confession etc.and it only costs about $6. I think it is a nice little snapshot of faith that any Christian can see.

Upvote 0