Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A great deal is made nowadays of “the technological revolution,” as seen from both sides, those in favour and those who are very much against. In the realm of Orthodox theology, however, is there really any essential difference between the age-old problem of technology and today’s reality? We could, of course, talk about the last century with the industrial revolution and all its consequences: social, political, moral, religious and so on. When people speak of a new era in the history of mankind, of the third, technological revolution, are they not perhaps exaggerating the extent of the undoubted change in the conditions under which we live? Would it not be more realistic, instead of talking about a revolution, to recognize a process which began long before the industrial revolution and reached its culmination in the developments and consequences there of?

The basic feature which is new, however, in modern technology, is that it has turned everything on its head. While in former times people attempted to use science to improve their dominion over nature, it has now infiltrated into the very innermost laws of nature, with results likely to prove positive but also with terrible and limitless opportunities for intervention in these laws themselves. And where might this inversion bring us? To the further extension of these opportunities or to voluntary restrictions to ensure the sovereignty, dignity and survival of nature?

For this reason, the problem is not, in essence, that of the relationship between Man and Nature, but rather that of our felicity in choosing among what might be infinite possibilities, so that we do not fall victim to the works of our hands. Why mention this? Because with justification we recall the words of Job: “She has hardened herself against her young, as though not bereaving herself, she has laboured in vain without fear” (Job 39:16). In other words, our era acts with harshness and indifference towards its children, as if they were not its own. And its indiscriminate and foolhardy attitude reduces every attempt and effort to naught, and, in the end, misfires.

Finally, it is not our function to note the revolutionary changes, but rather to point out to our contemporaries the true purpose of technology and to propose Orthodox theological and moral criteria.

Let us now see when technology begins.

http://deathtotheworld.com/articles/orthodox-spirituality-and-the-technological-revolution/

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The most profound insights are found at the end of the article, regarding Restraint and Spiritual Vigilance.

The core problems with today's technological revolution, it seems to me, are the unbelievable pervasiveness of the technology, the addictive nature of the technology, and the transforming effect it is having on minds - it is almost as though the human species is being reprogrammed, and mostly not in a good way. I am very suspicious as to what spirit may be behind this revolution. It seems to me to be fundamentally different from any past technological revolution.

In any event, Restraint and Spiritual Vigilance are two key concepts for believers to keep in the forefront of their minds.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When people speak of a new era in the history of mankind, of the third, technological revolution, are they not perhaps exaggerating the extent of the undoubted change in the conditions under which we live?
Is not the third. It is the 4th.
Besides the two points mentioned at the end in article - Restraint and Spiritual Vigilance - I think that it must be stressed that we must have always in mind the effect upon our love. Do I love more God and the others through God, or I love more the gadget(s)? Is my capacity of love minimized by the presence / absence of a certain technological thing? I don't think that a blind rejection / acceptance of technology is a solution.

Upvote 0

Euodius

Are you kitten me right meow?
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2019
Stafford
✟49,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is almost as though the human species is being reprogrammed, and mostly not in a good way. I am very suspicious as to what spirit may be behind this revolution. It seems to me to be fundamentally different from any past technological revolution.

Norbert Wiener, who you can blame for Indian computer support technicians, was a pioneer in the technological revolution and the founder of Cybernetics (defined by him as "the science of governance.")
It is fascinating research which establishes the age-old truth that natures exist, including human nature. Late in life Dr. Wiener reflected that his research created the possibility for the desecration of human nature itself in a way that he considers to be equivalent to the desecration of a black mass. Just as the black mass is a parody which perverts, defiles, and destroys all that is sacred, so too does his research allow for a parody of human nature, perverting, defiling, and destroying all that is human.

Read, if you can stomach it, Dr. John C. Lily's book Programming and Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer - or rather, don't read it, because it's demonic. A summary is;

You aren't free because you are human and are thus subject to human nature, so how do you hack the brain to destroy your human nature so that you can be free. Methods include Yoga which creates a dissonance between the physical body and the soul by contorting the body outside of the human form, but also increases pelvic flexibility which is helpful for inappropriate behavior with animals (esp. with dolphins) which is necessary to wipe out the most basic human disgust instincts. Ultimately, the goal is to destroy the "motherfatherchild" relationships, because the family unit is the most basic relationship by which all relationships are formed by.

^Does that give you an idea of what is behind the technological revolution or would you like more?

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0