• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Orthodox seeker with a question

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by rturner76, May 16, 2019.

1. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,389
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Check out St Mary’s OCA cathedral. I haven’t been there but I love their choir.

2. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+1,033
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    To the OP, I just want to say that so many of us have been down the same road as you. I too am a former member of the Catholic Church, who left to join Orthodoxy.

There have been days when being Orthodox is challenging, especially as an American convert, but making the change was a necessary step for me. I feel so much happier and uplifted since I threw off all the legalism and dogma of the Catholic Church for Orthodoxy, I cannot ever see myself going back.

That's not to say I dislike Roman and Eastern Catholics, it is quite the opposite in fact, but in Orthodoxy I have found the true "holy catholic and apostolic church", and that is something that I have longed for my whole life.

Don't let the ethnic ties of each church worry you too much. At the end of the day, it is all one church, just like Catholicism. Simply pick the place you are most comfortable going too, and move forward from there. I see your community even has Western Rite churches, so that is a possibility as well.

3. SeekingServant

SeekingServant Orthodox Christian

+38
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Western Rite Orthodox parishes are mostly under Antioch or ROCOR. The church I attend is under the Antiochian jurisdiction. My particular parish uses the Mass of St. Gregory, though there is the Mass of St. Tikhon as well. We use the Tridentine Mass in English and if you have ever gone to a Latin Mass you would find it very familiar. We use Gregorian chant and pretty much sing everything. It's quite beautiful.

4. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+473
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Administratively, no, but, socially, yes.

The Eastern and Oriental Churches are not in Communion with each other (yet), but there are agreements in place between bishops that do allow for Communion at each other's parishes. When I lived in Virginia, there was an Ethiopian family that attended my Eastern Orthodox parish because there was not an Ethiopian parish within reasonable driving distance. In Egypt and Syria there are inter-Communion agreements in place because of the persecutions that have been going on there since the so-called Arab Spring. We typically consider each other brothers and sisters, but we're not quite at full reunification. I think it could realistically happen within the next century or two.

5. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

Trying_to_be_Orthodox Newbie

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Go to ROCOR and make it a little bit more American ;)@OP