(Orthodox) Russian soldiers engage in systematic rape to prevent women from having babies in future

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
link below

Most likely these two Siberians are Yupik because they obviously left the coastal area, and fortunately many of the native villages in Alaska are also Yupik, just separated by international borders on opposite sides of the Bering Sea.

Quite possibly they will be able to be released to a Yupik village in Alaska. As an aside, the Yupik villages in Alaska have Orthodox Churches just as they do in Siberia so even if they are not religious it is a familiar piece of their shared culture/s.

I am pretty sure they will be treated well and over time be restored to a better life. Not an option if they had gone to Ukraine. Or less of an option, I should say.

It's a stupid war. Glad to see these guys got out.

Alaska asylum seekers are Indigenous Siberians from Russia

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — (AP) — Two Russian Indigenous Siberians were so scared of having to fight the war in Ukraine, they chanced everything to take a small boat across the treacherous Bering Sea to reach American soil, Alaska’s senior U.S. senator said after talking with the two.

The two, identified as males by a resident, landed earlier this month near Gambell, on Alaska’s St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Strait, where they asked for asylum.

Alaska asylum seekers are Indigenous Siberians from Russia

Upvote 0

kidkaos2

Deus Vult!
Oct 25, 2021
Largo
✟10,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
[Crossposting this here for TAW's information, in case anyone missed this.]

The Russian Federation's actions show that the regime is PRO-RAPE and ANTI-CHILDREN. Naturally, this shows conclusively that the regime that controls Russia is unambigously anti-Christian, as any Christian set of values is anti-rape and pro-children.

All Orthodox Christians, indeed all Christians, and all pro-life people in the world should be aware the Putin regime is anti-children and pro-rape.

"One example she points to is the violence that took place in Bucha. Denisova, the Ukrainian ombudswoman for human rights, described the situation to the BBC: "About 25 girls and women aged 14 to 24 were systematically raped during the occupation in the basement of one house in Bucha. Nine of them are pregnant. Russian soldiers told them they would rape them to the point where they wouldn't want sexual contact with any man, to prevent them from having Ukrainian children."

Rape has reportedly become a weapon in Ukraine. Finding justice may be difficult

This is what you get in today's society where evoking emotion in the people on social media is more important than reporting truth. It's a scary thing because this sort of stuff is driving policy and even scientific research. For example, the very research needed to determine the long term effects of gender transition is being cancelled due to it being called transphobic. Because the people who already transitioned don't want to have to second guess themselves, and the issue can be used as a wedge against the Republicans, and each transition involves tens of thousands of dollars, the only people trying to fight it are working class parents. We're at a point where simple facts and statistics can be bigoted if they don't say what certain people want them to say.

Biden's son was making millions in Ukraine and Biden doesn't want that to stop so he provokes Russia to try to get them to leave Ukraine's corrupt business alone. When they invade, the Biden administration switches into high gear to portray them as evil, as every country has always done throughout history when faced with a rival. Now that you're predisposed to disliking Russia, they can start putting out bolder and bolder campaign ads and you will swallow them. First the target group becomes enemies, then they become explicitly evil and are demonized as subhuman. This is how nations condition their people to hate the enemy enough to support bombing and shooting them, which is normally against human nature. It's normal for humans to prefer their own tribe or society to rival ones, but not normal for them to be willing to kill over it. That requires propagandizing.

The interesting thing about this is the fact that virtually everyone should be able to remember back in 2012 when Biden and Hillary Clinton were saying there was a new era of peace and cooperation with Russia. Remember "the reset button"? It's a little weird to me that the American public can't seem to remember a decade ago when Romney was roundly mocked for saying the Russians could be a future problem. Including by me, I have to admit with disappointment. The way we all fell for "flavor of the month" attitude to Russia is scary. At the same time, they said China was the looming enemy on the horizon which was going to become a monster if not stopped. Nowadays the Chinese are being praised as a model of good governance with the social credit system and how they handled covid. The elites are playing with our emotions given who is and who isn't making them money, and we fall for it as a civil rights emergency.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is what you get in today's society where evoking emotion in the people on social media is more important than reporting truth. It's a scary thing because this sort of stuff is driving policy and even scientific research. For example, the very research needed to determine the long term effects of gender transition is being cancelled due to it being called transphobic. Because the people who already transitioned don't want to have to second guess themselves, and the issue can be used as a wedge against the Republicans, and each transition involves tens of thousands of dollars, the only people trying to fight it are working class parents. We're at a point where simple facts and statistics can be bigoted if they don't say what certain people want them to say.
Your reply is interesting in that it almost ignores the demonstrable fact that Russia is the aggressor and actually is an agent here. You say "when they invade" as if it was some kind of reflex reaction like blinking. Russia is never the subject of a sentence (Even there, you use a pronoun) in your post. Everything is the US's fault, everything is Biden's fault. The elites do this, the elites do that, the Biden administration does this and that.

Your post demonstrates that you do not know that Putin has been gunning for this for a very long time, long before Biden, long before Trump.

Yet there is some truth to what you say. "First the target group becomes enemies, then they become explicitly evil and are demonized as subhuman. This is how nations condition their people to hate the enemy enough to support bombing and shooting them, which is normally against human nature." Indeed, this is exactly what Putin has been at for decades, with the (now explicit, formerly sort of hidden) purpose of committing genocide. He has been running an increasingly authoritarian (and always anti-Christian at heart, despite some lip service) and proto-totalitarian ship for nearly a quarter of a century. During Putin's chokehold-"service" to the Russian Federation, which he hates deeply and is desperate to drag down with him, and his increasing control over media, the portrayal of needlessly evil "Ukrainian" characters in films has begun and then grown. Naturally, this is never mentioned.

Biden didn't cause this. Trump didn't cause this. Obama and Bush didn't cause it. It has been fueled by Putin's genocidal ambition, which has been around for about 25 years, but likely going back further, to 1991, when the Soviet Union collapsed due to extremely poor management and Putin (among others) lost his mind because he could not deal with the "empire" falling apart.

You say that "the elites" play with our emotions. This is certainly true, but you talk as if there is no Russian elite, as if they have no part to play in this. Your post shows zero knowledge of the members of the pro-genocide, pro-nuclear blackmail elite such as Simonyan (the new Goebbels, a person who acts completely consumed by the transparent lies and utternly insane passions that Putin's regime has given free rein to). Your post shows no knowledge of the years of lies spread by Simonyan and her ilk, transparent, fabricated lies about the "genocide" of "Russians" going on in Ukraine. You show gross ignorance of the basic context of the invasion.

In your view, elites can only be needlessly "against Russia." Why? Why is everyone so hatefully and needlessly "against Russia"? The answer: they aren't. No one cares about Russia. No one hates Russia for being "holy." Most people in the "West" think of Russia only on occasion.

Biden is not bombing Ukrainian children. He is not going to work every day and using satellite tech to aim rockets at playgrounds and bread factories and power stations to try to starve and freeze civilians going into winter.

Putin and his genocidal (yes, genocidal -- you can still read the plans up on RIA Novosti -- the elimination of Ukrainian nationality -- so please, do not question my use of this word when Putin's genocidal, criminal regime has put their plans up on the Internet for all to see) regime are doing exactly that. They have lost against the Ukrainian army and so now they are bringing the fight to unarmed five-year-olds.

This is the "Orthodox Christian" ruler that we were supposed to love so much: a miserable desk jockey who has stolen so much money that he is afraid he will be killed if he ever lets go of power, and can think of no better way to spend his remaining time than to try to murder an entire country.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Archer, you know that I agree with you on quite a bit. From the idolizing of Putin, imagining him to be some new “Orthodox tsar”, that the elites do not have a special hate for Russia as such, that Russia has its propaganda masters, and thatbthere is indeed a movement to restore a new version of the USSR with an ostensibly Orthodox veneer, to name some of the things we agree on.

The main reason I disagree with you is because of your own partisanship. If the only facts (or reports or claims that we imagine to be facts) we are willing to admit are those that praise one side and blame the other, then we are partisan in the unreasonable sense. February 24th changed the vector; I am still convinced that before that date the preponderance of facts gave Russia the high ground in terms of who was threatening whom and even killing whom, though no one side was innocent. I defended Russia up to that point, as you may remember. If our guest seems to you to ignore Russian atrocities in the Ukraine, you similarly seem to ignore the “special military operations” the Ukrainian army conducted in the Donbass dor years before that, the fact that the Ukrainization that began in the 2000’s did indeed seek to marginalize the large Russian minority living in the Ukraine, or why the annexation of the Crimea went so peacefully after the West’s support of a successful overthrow of the president the Ukrainians themselves had elected and the threat of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet effectively being taken away from them; these things, it seems, are of no concern to Russia in your eyes, but mere internal matters of the Ukrainian state.

The approach that I learned from Chesterton is to seek out where my opponent is right, and agree with him on that. It gives common ground, and shows a more balanced mind, willing to consider challenges to its own position. I don’t see that willingness as a rule, such unwillingness is the cause of much noise on social media of people ignoring each other and not coming to any common understandings.

So rather than quarrel and talk past each other, I’d encourage starting by establishing that there are some things that we DO agree on, and on those points, you would find me taking your side. Only then is there any hope that disagreement could be fruitful. Unless it leads to common understanding, it is mere sounding brass and tinkling cymbals.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Russian Troops Baptized in Body Bags as Moscow Pivots to ‘De-Satanization’ of Ukraine

Russian Troops Baptized in Body Bags as Moscow Pivots to ‘De-Satanization’ of Ukraine

Remember those Nazis that had taken over Ukraine and were doing all kinds of Nazi stuff? Yeah, me neither. In any case, turns out it was Satan all along.

Yes, the de-satanization of Ukraine. To be carried out by, among other methods, deliberately knocking out power all over the place so food can rot in grocery stores so they can be filled with a "holy" stench, "holy" worms, and "holy" flies.

@rusmeister, I didn't forget and am not ignoring you. I will reply when I am able.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank God our country has the separation of Church and State. This crap is disgusting. Putin's lost his mind.
He has indeed, but it happened a long time ago. Many in the West believed some of the rhetoric, assuming he was a normal politician in a suit, and liking the words they saw — traditional, conservative, family...but none of that meant anything. It was always madness and murder with a couple labels stuck to it.

• Agree
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remember those Nazis that had taken over Ukraine and were doing all kinds of Nazi stuff? Yeah, me neither. In any case, turns out it was Satan all along.

Yes, the de-satanization of Ukraine. To be carried out by, among other methods, deliberately knocking out power all over the place so food can rot in grocery stores so they can be filled with a "holy" stench, "holy" worms, and "holy" flies.

@rusmeister, I didn't forget and am not ignoring you. I will reply when I am able.

It would be a major understatement for me to say that I do not think that Putin has thought through everything he is doing.

Two weeks ago or thereabouts Putin made Kadyrov a General in the Russian Army, to satisfy the hardliners around him and because Kadyrov loves the genocide piece. But Kadyrov is hard, hard, hard-core Jihadist. The first thought that I had is that if you give him even a remote chance he will start right in doing a Jihad against the Ukrainians -BUT- in the long run he and his followers will be a threat to Christians in Russia and anyone else who displeases Allah. Think it through Vlad, think it through.

Now comes today's news (below)which obviously is no surprise to me whatsoever. So Putin is now running a de-satanizing campaign and his buddy who reports directly to Putin is running a jihad. Is this how Russia restores itself to greatness? Some Russians need to start thinking more about what is right for Russia rather than what is right for Putin.

Putin has Iranian jihadists on the ground in Ukraine already, he is actively bringing in Afghan fighters, and his entire regime is now a puppet of China. Not one of those entities has the least bit of interest in fostering or preserving anything historically, culturally, or religiously related to Russia. None whatsoever. Zero.

Kadyrov calls on Muslims to wage jihad against the West

Kadyrov calls on Muslims to wage jihad against the West

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would be a major understatement for me to say that I do not think that Putin has thought through everything he is doing.

Two weeks ago or thereabouts Putin made Kadyrov a General in the Russian Army, to satisfy the hardliners around him and because Kadyrov loves the genocide piece. But Kadyrov is hard, hard, hard-core Jihadist. The first thought that I had is that if you give him even a remote chance he will start right in doing a Jihad against the Ukrainians -BUT- in the long run he and his followers will be a threat to Christians in Russia and anyone else who displeases Allah. Think it through Vlad, think it through.
The notion that what is right for Russia ≠ what keeps Putin in power is illegal in the Russian Federation today.

VP is in a blind panic. No one thinks anything through when they are desperately trying to "survive."

First he says he is protecting "Russians," then bombs them (the people he says are Russians) and has his soldiers carry out mass executions of them.

He says he is protecting Ukrainians from Nazis and uses the most basic, well-known Nazi tactics against them.

He says he is an Orthodox Christian and then promotes a jihadist to general, said jihadist then announces jihad against a country where the bulk of the population is Christian, many of them Orthodox.

Not only should we expect no thought, we should expect the opposite of what is claimed every time.

If you love someone and want to protect them, you don't bomb them and have them butchered and their bodies dropped into pits.

If you want to protect people from Nazis, you don't act like a Nazi with Nazi propaganda the only allowed media and Nazi tactics literally every step of the way.

If you want to protect Christians, you don't give someone who hates Christians a bunch of resources that you stole from Christians to go kill other Christians.

• Prayers
Reactions: Nick1000
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He has indeed, but it happened a long time ago. Many in the West believed some of the rhetoric, assuming he was a normal politician in a suit, and liking the words they saw — traditional, conservative, family...but none of that meant anything. It was always madness and murder with a couple labels stuck to it.
Like an old post-Vatican II song goes "they'll know we are Christians by our love". Demonizing and bombing a country one claims is their spiritual brother is not love.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "traditional, conservative, family" but not by force and certainly none of it meant anything coming from him. After all, he divorced his wife of decades, punishes anyone that critiques his daughter's skating career, and keeps his mistresses. I even heard a credible rumor once that he forced one to have an abortion.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Demonizing and bombing a country one claims is their spiritual brother is not love.

I don't like the way he treats his own people either.

Admittedly, I have "issues" with the Russian military. Nevertheless they are in service to their country, often innocent minorities, and are entitled to more respect and dignity- and their families as well- especially the fallen soldiers from at least their own country.

Every Russian soldier killed in service needs to have his body retrieved from the battlefield, properly returned to his family, and provided with either a military or religious burial according to the wishes of the family. Period.

One might ask whether I would want the same for the ones who were involved in war crimes- as some have asked me- and the answer is most definitely.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The notion that what is right for Russia ≠ what keeps Putin in power is illegal in the Russian Federation today.

VP is in a blind panic. No one thinks anything through when they are desperately trying to "survive."

First he says he is protecting "Russians," then bombs them (the people he says are Russians) and has his soldiers carry out mass executions of them.

He says he is protecting Ukrainians from Nazis and uses the most basic, well-known Nazi tactics against them.

He says he is an Orthodox Christian and then promotes a jihadist to general, said jihadist then announces jihad against a country where the bulk of the population is Christian, many of them Orthodox.

Not only should we expect no thought, we should expect the opposite of what is claimed every time.

If you love someone and want to protect them, you don't bomb them and have them butchered and their bodies dropped into pits.

If you want to protect people from Nazis, you don't act like a Nazi with Nazi propaganda the only allowed media and Nazi tactics literally every step of the way.

If you want to protect Christians, you don't give someone who hates Christians a bunch of resources that you stole from Christians to go kill other Christians.

Until this war, I generally regarded Putin as brutal ( but not in an extraordinary sense). It also seemed that Russia was in chaos prior to his ( originally legitimate) election to power and that he did much to restore social stability. The homicide rates in Russia were exploding and he really reduced something that is truly evil in society. I grew up during the 1980s and have the mindset that Soviet ( & later Russian) leaders subscribed to the idea of nuclear, mutual assured destruction. It always seemed like a secure safety valve that whatever our mutual problems, no one wanted to risk all out destruction. Now this policy seems to becoming a dangerous uncertainty.

Whatever credibility Putin might have had now seems nonexistent despite whatever problems he could previously point to at the DC swamp. While I am no authority on President Zelensky of Ukraine, I believe his original conviction of being independent of Russia or NATO was sincere ( whatever his other pluses or minuses might be).

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Like an old post-Vatican II song goes "they'll know we are Christians by our love". Demonizing and bombing a country one claims is their spiritual brother is not love.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "traditional, conservative, family" but not by force and certainly none of it meant anything coming from him. After all, he divorced his wife of decades, punishes anyone that critiques his daughter's skating career, and keeps his mistresses. I even heard a credible rumor once that he forced one to have an abortion.
I agree with you, but you don't even need to look at the man's personal sins. The war enough is proof that he means literally nothing that any conservative person or Christian could take seriously. He loves the ROC so much - he has its parishes bombed and its flock murdered, raped, kidnapped and stolen away to a foreign country, promotes a jihadist to colonel general so the guy can declare jihad on (largely Christian) Ukraine. Hates Nazis - uses Nazi tactics to try to destroy an entire ethnicity (genocide).

I don't like the way he treats his own people either.

Admittedly, I have "issues" with the Russian military. Nevertheless they are in service to their country, often innocent minorities, and are entitled to more respect and dignity- and their families as well- especially the fallen soldiers from at least their own country.

Every Russian soldier killed in service needs to have his body retrieved from the battlefield, properly returned to his family, and provided with either a military or religious burial according to the wishes of the family. Period.
To my knowledge, the military has shown very little interest in doing anything like this, and Putin himself has shown literally no interest in it, and never will.

The whole propaganda piece about Ukraine "genociding" Russians is a case of projection for the textbooks. Putin's regime is the most dangerous thing in the world right now for Russians. Some 70,000 of them have recently been murdered by this insane war, tens of thousands more crippled, and he is hurling more into the jaws of death as we speak. He and his servants / supporters claim the Russian language is somehow outlawed in Ukraine, and in the RF, he turns the production of Russian language textbooks over to Sberbank (a bank) so they can produce garbage to harm education and harm knowledge of the Russian language in Russia. He says Russians are not safe in Ukraine, he starts a war and a mobilization that have made hundreds of thousands of Russian people flee from Russia in terror.

It always seemed like a secure safety valve that whatever our mutual problems, no one wanted to risk all out destruction. Now this policy seems to becoming a dangerous uncertainty.
I do not think of any period of the Soviet government as "legitimate," the people in the regime committed countless horrific crimes, but "at least" it was a functioning state. It was possible to study, get an education, and find work. You could even get time off and retire, sort of.

Putin's Russia is coming close to failed state / failed culture in the sense that it has no coherent or sane narrative about what productive life there can be. Every aspect of the state is geared toward one goal and one goal alone: keeping the kingpin in power. This is not a legitimate goal of a civil society. It is also not the goal of any kind of Christian life. Now the entire society is at war, but those who say they are at war are beaten, fined, imprisoned (maybe and likely worse). There is nothing there. The cancer is in control of nearly all the resources of the organism (I speak of the state, not of actual Russian culture, which is not like this).

And in such a situation, where the government has nothing to offer the people in whose name it claims to govern, all that remains is terror. He holds the world hostage with his nuclear blackmail, terrifying billions of people. And for what? What is the lofty goal that justifies it all?

To freeze, starve, and murder the entire (largely Christian) civilian population of a neighboring country, making excuses so poor they would be laughable if no one were being murdered.

To make jihad against Ukraine (according to VP's newly-promoted Colonel General Kadyrov, see below).

This is a Nazi state executing a perfectly recognizable, out-in-the-open, genocidal, anti-Christian, Nazi program. As with the Nazis in Germany, the state can do nothing but murder until it collapses. There is nothing beyond "murder, destroy." Nothing.

Video (see especially around 1:02). The translation there is accurate. "I swear by the name of the Almighty, this is the Great Jihad, in which we all must take part. And we will not stop." Putin's handpicked man, newly-promoted Colonel General Ramzan Kadyrov, jihadist tasked with destroying a largely Christian country (majority Orthodox, significant minority Roman Catholic, smaller significant minority otherwise Christian).

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would think that it could never be a bad thing to see Putin widen the circle of people he is talking with these days. You never know where a ray of light could come from. The Metropolitan (below) sounds like he could be part of the solution rather than part of the problem as most of Putin's other contacts are. Or at least he has that desire. No shame in failing at an honorable goal.

Putin’s Favorite Orthodox Leader Calls For Making Peace In Ukraine – OpEd

Metropolitan Tikhon Shevkunov, long a favorite of Vladimir Putin and an odds-on favorite to eventually replace Patriarch Kirill as head of the Russian Orthodox Church, has broken with the Kremlin leader and called for Russia to conclude a peace with Ukraine, an appeal that may have a greater impact on Putin than those of others.

Speaking on Russia24, Tikhon said that Ukraine has overwhelmed Russians and that “there is no doubt that we are experiencing an unprecedented tragedy … Everyone is now calling for peace, and that is an expression of the need of the human soul” (smotrim.ru/video/2511850 and t.me/dimsmirnov175/40062).

Ukrainians and Russians are brothers, he continued; but for the present, “they [the Ukrainians] don’t want to call us brothers. Nonetheless, we understand that they are brothers … I am deeply convinced of this. Only God will unit those who are no longer united and pacify the hatred now pouring out in this conflict.”

When Putin launched his expanded invasion, the ROC MP supported it; and when he called for a partial mobilization, it supported that as well. But in September, Patriarch Kirill said that Russians should not consider Ukrainians enemies, although he remained within the Kremlin paradigm by insisting that Russians and Ukrainians are “one people.”

Tikhon’s words offer a chance to go beyond that. He did not insist on the one people formulation but rather spoke of the two nations as brothers who need to be reconciled. This could cost him his ties with Putin, but it could also have an impact on the Kremlin leader who in the past has regularly consulted with the metropolitan.

Reactions: Cody J Dunbar
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would think that it could never be a bad thing to see Putin widen the circle of people he is talking with these days. You never know where a ray of light could come from. The Metropolitan (below) sounds like he could be part of the solution rather than part of the problem as most of Putin's other contacts are. Or at least he has that desire. No shame in failing at an honorable goal.

Metropolitan Tikhon Shevkunov, long a favorite of Vladimir Putin and an odds-on favorite to eventually replace Patriarch Kirill as head of the Russian Orthodox Church, has broken with the Kremlin leader and called for Russia to conclude a peace with Ukraine, an appeal that may have a greater impact on Putin than those of others.

Speaking on Russia24, Tikhon said that Ukraine has overwhelmed Russians and that “there is no doubt that we are experiencing an unprecedented tragedy … Everyone is now calling for peace, and that is an expression of the need of the human soul” (smotrim.ru/video/2511850 and t.me/dimsmirnov175/40062).

Ukrainians and Russians are brothers, he continued; but for the present, “they [the Ukrainians] don’t want to call us brothers. Nonetheless, we understand that they are brothers … I am deeply convinced of this. Only God will unit those who are no longer united and pacify the hatred now pouring out in this conflict.”

When Putin launched his expanded invasion, the ROC MP supported it; and when he called for a partial mobilization, it supported that as well. But in September, Patriarch Kirill said that Russians should not consider Ukrainians enemies, although he remained within the Kremlin paradigm by insisting that Russians and Ukrainians are “one people.”

Tikhon’s words offer a chance to go beyond that. He did not insist on the one people formulation but rather spoke of the two nations as brothers who need to be reconciled. This could cost him his ties with Putin, but it could also have an impact on the Kremlin leader who in the past has regularly consulted with the metropolitan.

My guess is this goes nowhere. I hope it does, though.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Eaters of fast-food encroaching on our sanctuaries"

"Holy Protector ....inspires....the marines to successfully....participate in special military operations"

Spetsnaz warriors from Sputnik put their faith in brigade's holy patron​

After a period of restoration, the main church icon of the 61st Naval Infantry Brigade is returned to Sputnik, the garrison town located near the border to Norway and Finland. "It will give the marines inspiration to take part in special military operations," the local church says.

“The holy protector of our forces, the great martyr of Georgy Pobedonostev (George the Victorious), graciously safeguards and inspires the marines to successfully execute military objectives and participate in special operations and war actions,” the congregation writes on its social media page.

“It is sufficient to stay an honest patriot of one’s county, someone that does not allow fake men (muzhelozhniki), trans people and eaters of fast-food to encroach on our sanctuaries, as well as on our reserves of natural resources that was given to our land by God so that the decent People that carries the religious mission could live here happily.”

Upvote 0