(Orthodox) Russian soldiers engage in systematic rape to prevent women from having babies in future

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
More international support for what? For the anti-war effort? Sorry, I just didn't follow.

yeah, I assume that’s what you meant when you said he could have used his position to tell the truth.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeppers, although personally I like to think bishops would stand their ground, speak truth to power, and not flee for protection.
I also like to think that, but all I meant was, I don't have to demand of him strength and faith that I don't imagine I possess. It's easy to imagine that he could have fled and spoken the truth after saving his own life. My point is just that there were options.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also like to think that, but all I meant was, I don't have to demand of him strength and faith that I don't imagine I possess. It's easy to imagine that he could have fled and spoken the truth after saving his own life. My point is just that there were options.

sure, and I guess my point is that if you are a bishop, you have to bear that cross wherever it leads. it’s a strength none of us possess, but one Christ does give us to stand for the truth.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟227,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟751,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Warped

Lord, have mercy.

Returning to the "holy warriors", I will explain why their current veneration seems doubtful to me. Under what circumstances was their holiness attested and were they really canonized for their "military feat".

Prince Alexander Nevsky was canonized at the cathedral in 1547. There is very little information about this cathedral, so that some historians doubt whether it took place at all (Bushkovitch. Religion and Society in Russia P. 82).
As a local saint, Prince Alexander was revered before. In the life of the 13th century, much was told about his battles and opposition to Catholic expansion. However, it was precisely for this reason that it was not clear what his holiness consisted of: neither a description of miracles nor proof of the incorruptibility of the relics was lacking. These gaps are closed only after 300 years - in the new edition of the Life. It was then, at the time of the general church canonization, that the image of the prince changes dramatically: the emphasis is on his righteousness, and not at all on military exploits ( http://a-nevsky.ru/library/aleksandr-nevskiy-v-russkoy-kulturnoy-pamyati15. html ).
At the same time, the monastic name of Alexander, Alexy, appears for the first time in the edition of his Life.
The place of the courageous prince-warrior is occupied by a humble, righteous and pious monk, who saw the only goal of his life in leaving the world and accepting the schema. Undoubtedly, this great schemer lived a glorious earthly life, devoting it to the defense of the right faith, but in the foreground, his rejection of the world, his entry into the heavenly church and the miracles that occurred after his death still turn out to be in the foreground.
This is how the Russian Church glorified him. The image of the prince-monk fully corresponded to the idea of the Moscow metropolitans about the height of monasticism and its superiority over the kingdom.
This is how he appears on the oldest surviving icon of the 16th century - a stern, venerable monk, a schemnik with a broad beard. The ends of the sharp hood are tied together, in his left hand he holds a closed scroll, his right rests on his chest. No weapons, as on modern icons.
It is curious that of all the feats of arms of the prince, only one got on the icon of the 17th century with 36 episodes of his life (brands) - the Battle of the Neva. The rest - birth, study, prayer, visions, diplomatic trips and - 22 brands! - posthumous miracles.
The most important of them, although not on the icon, I believe, could be considered an amazing transformation of his image (together with the repeatedly rewritten Life) in accordance with the requirements of the era ( http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/5819760. html ).
The reverse transformation from a monk into a warrior takes place on the orders of Peter, who needed support for the new model of relations between church and state that he built, where the emperor is also the head of the church.
In 1724, the first Russian emperor ordered that henceforth the saint should no longer be depicted as a schema-monk and a monk, but only “in the robes of the Grand Duke.”
He also ordered that the day of the celebration of the memory of Prince Alexander be postponed from November 23 (the day of his burial in Vladimir in 1263) to August 30 (the date of signing a peace treaty with the Swedes in Nystadt in 1721). A very symbolic change! The idea of holiness and birth for a new life, which in Christianity is directly connected with the moment of bodily death, is sacrificed to momentary political interests - the birth of an empire.
It is no coincidence that the revival of the cult of Alexander Nevsky in the Soviet Union also occurs at a time when Stalin is thinking about building a new empire. In 1937-1939, publications began to appear in the USSR glorifying the prince's victories over the German knights. Eisenstein's film comes out. In April 1942, the 700th anniversary of the Battle of the Ice was celebrated nationwide, postcards and posters were mass-produced, the Order of Alexander Nevsky was established, and an aviation squadron named after him appeared.
This is how Alexander Nevsky entered our time: the hero of Soviet propaganda, the glorious builder of the Empire. This image has nothing to do with the image of the prince-monk, canonized by the Russian Church in 1547.
From there - from Soviet history textbooks - other newly-glorified saints came into our church reality of the 21st century: Dmitry Donskoy, Oslyabya and Peresvet, Fedor Ushakov.
(To be continued)
609views

МАРАН АФА Блог Иоанна Бурдина

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟452,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
‘God Put You in Power’: Russian Orthodox Leader Tells Putin on 70th Birthday

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church Patriarch Kirill said Friday that Vladimir Putin's reign over Russia had been mandated by God, congratulating the Kremlin chief on his 70th birthday.

"God put you in power so that you could perform a service of special importance and of great responsibility for the fate of the country and the people entrusted to your care," the patriarch said, joining a chorus of Russian officials congratulating Putin.

The patriarch praised Putin for "transforming the image of Russia, strengthening its sovereignty and its defense capability, protecting its national interests."

‘God Put You in Power’: Russian Orthodox Leader Tells Putin on 70th Birthday - The Moscow Times

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟452,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Liberation of Svyatohirsk Reveals War Damage To Revered Ukrainian Orthodox Monastery
October 05, 2022 14:37 GMT
As of September 28, UNESCO had confirmed that Russia's invasion of its neighboring country had damaged 82 religious sites in Ukraine. The Holy Mountains Lavra of the Holy Dormition, a significant Orthodox Christian monastery near the recently freed town of Svyatohirsk, is one of those locations. Also known as the Svyatohirsk Monastery of the Caves, the large complex of onion-domed churches is considered one of the five holiest sites in the Russian Orthodox Church.

Liberation of Svyatohirsk Reveals War Damage To Revered Ukrainian Orthodox Monastery

Before the "Special Military Operation"
04210000-0aff-0242-3919-08daa6a7b7b0_w1508_s_d2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
October 05, 2022 14:37 GMT
As of September 28, UNESCO had confirmed that Russia's invasion of its neighboring country had damaged 82 religious sites in Ukraine. The Holy Mountains Lavra of the Holy Dormition, a significant Orthodox Christian monastery near the recently freed town of Svyatohirsk, is one of those locations. Also known as the Svyatohirsk Monastery of the Caves, the large complex of onion-domed churches is considered one of the five holiest sites in the Russian Orthodox Church.

Before the "Special Military Operation"
04210000-0aff-0242-3919-08daa6a7b7b0_w1508_s_d2.jpg

ugh, Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0