(Orthodox) Russian soldiers engage in systematic rape to prevent women from having babies in future

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think there is just as much credulity towards our media reports as many Russians have towards theirs. Are horrible reports true? Sometimes. Are they ever exaggerated? Usually. Do only the Russians engage in falsehood and exaggeration for the sake of an agenda? Absolutely not. I think most reports of evils, even when true, are of isolated instances that are then blown up into systematic policy that doesn't actually exist. I see the Russians over here doing it, too, and I put as little faith in them as I do in Western media, despite what my friend Archer thinks is a poisoned mind. Skepticism must carefully balance credulity, so that true reports are not dismissed out of hand, and false reports are not accepted uncritically. I smell exaggeration, if not outright fakery, in reports of castration.
TL,DR: Both sides exaggerate but Russia didn't do it. Don't believe your lying eyes.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,491.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m really neutral, Seashale. If you think I am “pro-Russia” on the invasion, I can only guess that you haven’t met actual pro-invasion, Er, pro-military operation people. I know American expats that support it. I think I fairly judge and criticize both sides. That means beginning with a reasonable degree of doubt in ANY reports by ALL of the mass/legacy media sources.

I AM sorry if you read me as condescending. I think I AM right, as do you. I don’t think it odd that you think yourself right, and don’t smirk or put laughing smilies on your posts. I know you seriously think what you think. I merely think you mistaken, not insincere.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,232.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
TL,DR: Both sides exaggerate but Russia didn't do it. Don't believe your lying eyes.
You rated my question to you as "funny" but I note you have made no attemp to answer.
Again, I sincerely ask you, who has denied it? Don't hide behind generalisations. You have effectively slandered some of your brethren so either apologise and retract your claim or back it up.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟171,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You rated my question to you as "funny" but I note you have made no attemp to answer.
Again, I sincerely ask you, who has denied it? Don't hide behind generalisations. You have effectively slandered some of your brethren so either apologise and retract your claim or back it up.
I sure did rate your post as 'funny' because the poster directly after you went on to deny it.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,232.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I sure did rate your post as 'funny' because the poster directly after you went on to deny it.
He did no such thing. He expressed scepticism which has never been synonymous with denial, although it probably would be listed as such in a handbook of gaslighting if such a guide existed.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Use of the word "scepticism" has been changing recently. Let's see what the Oxford English Dictionary has to say, first, just for a little clarity. .

1. The doctrine of the Sceptics; the opinion that real knowledge of any kind is unattainable. (this is surely not the sense here)

2. Sceptical attitude in relation to some particular branch of science; doubt or incredulity as to the truth of some assertion or supposed fact. Also, disposition to doubt or incredulity in general; mistrustfulness; sceptical temper. (the bold text seems to be the sense meant here)

3. Doubt or unbelief with regard to the Christian religion. (probably not the sense intended here)

Let's start with the bold text from sense 2: doubt or incredulity as to the truth of some assertion or supposed fact. So we mean doubt about the truth of certain actions taken by the armed forces of the Russian Federation during their invasion and occupation of parts of a foreign country, Ukraine.

Now, I will respond, assuming that this sense is what @prodromos meant in post #105 above.

1) Why is skepticism to be applied to anything bad that Russian forces do, but not to the supposed "provocations" attributed to Ukraine? Who here has been to "Nazi" Ukraine and witnessed the Nazi Ukrainians running around, preventing Russians from making borscht (actual claim made in public, and up on site of Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs site, YouTube link with English subtitles here)?

2) Although Kyiv was the center of the principality that brought Orthodoxy to the East Slavs, there seems to be little interest in the role of that city or its rulers in the acceptance of Orthodoxy by a significant part of the world. For example, Saint Vladimir the Great and Saint Olga of Kyiv. Now, the presence of these saints in history and eternity surely does not mean that every little thing the civil government of Ukraine does is great. But why is this scepticism applied always in favor of the Russian Federation, whose head of state is a former KGB agent whose outlook and values were formed outside the Church as part of the state terror apparatus of a criminal and anti-Orthodox regime, and never in favor of Ukraine?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Has the report in your OP been verified by any other source or is it it still solely the word of a woman who was sacked by her own government because she made wild unverified claims?
I don't have another source, no.

Does anyone have any source at all for the claimed "promise" that NATO "would not expand"?

Upvote 0

Johnny Ross

Jan 4, 2022
Richmond
✟19,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind that the discussions at that time were with the Soviet Union in regard to German reunification. Even if one were to accept- which many do not- it would have been an agreement in regard to the Soviet Union and NATO.

A year and a half or two later, the Soviet Union collapsed. Obviously when the Soviet Union was in existence Nato would not be expanding eastward into Soviet territory, duh. But when the Soviet Union dissolved the new parties either had to renegotiate what they wanted. What discussion was had with the Soviet Union does not cover their situation. The independent republics were and are free to enter into an relationship they want. The fact that Putin still thinks that Russia and the Soviet Union are the same thing is his jaundiced view.

In addition, I will say again, THERE IS NO AGREEMENT OR TREATY THAT COVERS THE NATO EXPANSION ISSUE (in addition to what I just said, it would have been with the Soviet Union anyway, which no longer exists.)

It is well established that every country, every day has negotiations going on where certain representations and aspirations are expressed and they may be sincere but they do not amount to anything until home countries formally approve them. No such approval, review, and treaty resulted.

Note to Vladimir Putin and his apologists: The Soviet Union fell apart. Neither Nato nor the former Soviet republics that are now independent are bound by discussions between the west and Gorbochev.

Let's think back to just February when Putin gave assurances many times over that he was not planning to invade Ukraine. Then he invaded Ukraine. As I said, lots of talk takes place all around the world. Show me the treaty.

Russians famously like to get upset over Americans and others getting Russia and the Soviet Union mixed up. But Putin does a pretty good job of mixing the up himself when it is to his advantage. Those discussions about Nato expansion and Gorbochev were with the Soviet Union. duh.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
School is starting up next week, so I’m deep in the thick of things now. Archer, thanks for a great reply. I’ll reply to you when I get some time. Right now it’s nuts.

I notice the media is trying to heat up the Serbia vs “Kosovo” conflict again. First the Russians are the villains, now it’s time for NATO to pick on everybody’s favorite go-to evil-doers—-The Serbs! :sigh::sigh::sigh:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
School is starting up next week, so I’m deep in the thick of things now. Archer, thanks for a great reply. I’ll reply to you when I get some time. Right now it’s nuts.

I notice the media is trying to heat up the Serbia vs “Kosovo” conflict again. First the Russians are the villains, now it’s time for NATO to pick on everybody’s favorite go-to evil-doers—-The Serbs! :sigh::sigh::sigh:
Yes. And you'll notice all the countries being provoked and or in tensions are traditionally Orthodox. Again, if you look at the world from an Orthodox POV, because it's the sins or holiness of His Church - the people, who affect the cosmos/world. And of course the evil one and his demons always attack the Church. And it's plain as day that's been going on through history and now with all that's happening. The Ukraine/Russia war, the Serbia/Kosovo tensions, the Greece/Turkey tensions.

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"It is a kind of holy mission," the governor explains.

North Russian governor promises heavenly protection for warriors in Ukraine

An angel will watch over you, Governor of the Arkhangelsk region assures local soldiers ahead of their departure to the battlefields in Ukraine.

North Russian governor promises heavenly protection for warriors in Ukraine

priest-soldiers.pechenga_screenshot-telegramtsybulsky-1000x532.jpg

• Informative
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟424,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Leader of Russian Orthodox Church in Canada defends war on Ukraine
Archbishop Gabriel of Montreal and Canada referred to Ukrainian forces as 'neo-Nazi' and inspired by 'demonic' forces

Leader of Russian Orthodox Church in Canada defends war on Ukraine | National Post
The reverberations from this demonic, fingerpointing, projection, own-sin-denying, vicious attack on innocent people, an attack that is verbally defended by the hierarchy of the MP, who in effect hold up the visible glory of the church as a shield to protect sin itself, will outlast the earthly lives of anyone now living on earth.

Upvote 0