Orthodox Rasta: What to do with Rastafarians who are Christias/ Orthodox (Ethopian)?

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);55395491 said:
On a side note, if interested, one article which I think would bless you deals with a lady who used to be a Former Rasta and later converted. Very powerful, as seen in the article entitled Judy Mowatt: From Rasta to disciple, in which Reggae gospel singer JUDY MOWATT talked to Mike Rimmer about her years with Bob Marley and the reggae superstar's deathbed conversion to Christianity.

http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/articles/music/From_Rasta_To_Disciple/16758/p1/

Thanks for the link. One thing though: the bishop that baptized Bob Marley didn't describe it as a deathbed conversion. This is what Abuna Yeshaq said of Bob:

"Bob was really a good brother, a child of God, regardless of how people looked at him. He had a desire to be baptised long ago, but there were people close to him who controlled him and who were aligned to a different aspect of Rastafari . But he came to Church regularly. I remember once while I was conducting the Mass, I looked at Bob and tears were streaming down his face...When he toured Los Angeles and New York and England, he preached the Orthodox faith, and many members in those cities came to the Church because of Bob. Many people think he was baptised because he
knew he was dying, but that is not so...he did it when there was no longer
any pressure on him, and when he was baptised, he hugged his family and wept, they all wept together for about half an hour." --"Abuna Yesehaq Looks Back on 14 Years of Ministry in Jamaica," The Gleaner

M.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Thanks for the link. One thing though: the bishop that baptized Bob Marley didn't describe it as a deathbed conversion. This is what Abuna Yeshaq said of Bob:

"Bob was really a good brother, a child of God, regardless of how people looked at him. He had a desire to be baptised long ago, but there were people close to him who controlled him and who were aligned to a different aspect of Rastafari . But he came to Church regularly. I remember once while I was conducting the Mass, I looked at Bob and tears were streaming down his face...When he toured Los Angeles and New York and England, he preached the Orthodox faith, and many members in those cities came to the Church because of Bob. Many people think he was baptised because he
any pressure on him, and when he was baptised, he hugged his family and wept, they all wept together for about half an hour." --"Abuna Yesehaq Looks Back on 14 Years of Ministry in Jamaica," The Gleaner

M.

I am getting emotional in my old age; this really moved me.

I thought I'd post this link - it's one of my girls' favorites:

YouTube - One Love | Playing For Change | Song Around the World

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

M.

Got ya...and many thanks for the clarifications.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);55445961 said:
That's awesome!!! Praying that it'll be a good read for ya

You are not gonna believe this!!!!! I got through the Introduction and Chapter One and was very much enjoying the scholarship.....and I ended up accidentally leaving it on the airplane on Thursday when I got off the plane!!!! aarrgghh!!!!!

My airline ticket stub was being used as a book mark.....thing there is any chance that some kind soul from the airline will mail it to me???

Stupid....this is the 2nd time in a year that I have done this!!!!!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You are not gonna believe this!!!!! I got through the Introduction and Chapter One and was very much enjoying the scholarship.....and I ended up accidentally leaving it on the airplane on Thursday when I got off the plane!!!! aarrgghh!!!!!

My airline ticket stub was being used as a book mark.....thing there is any chance that some kind soul from the airline will mail it to me???

Dang..

Bruh, I'm sorry to hear of that....as that truly stinks. But I do hope that someone it either gets back to you---or somehow makes its way into the hands of another who'd be impacted/blessed by it. You never know. Outside of that, would love to hear of anything within the Intro/Chapter One that stood out to you.

Shalom..

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love Jamaica by the way. So beautiful! I've been to Trinidad too, which is also lovely.

M.
Jamaica is such a lovely place...though I've yet to go to Trinidad. Hopefully, will be able to go someday in the future...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Curious as to whether or not you found an extra copy of the book you lost...

On a side note, found something that another sent to me which I thought you'd like:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
Orthodox Rasta: What to do with Rastafarians who are Christias/ Orthodox (Ethopian)?
there is no connection between us because orthodox christians dont smoke weed. ganja is an intoxicant therefore it blurs your judgement & its a sin to partake in pot smoking.

reggae is ok. but all that weed smoking is nastaaay.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
there is no connection between us because orthodox christians dont smoke weed. ganja is an intoxicant therefore it blurs your judgement & its a sin to partake in pot smoking.

reggae is ok. but all that weed smoking is nastaaay.
Minus the fact that nowhere does the scripture condemn ganja anymore than it does alcohol ..and minus the fact that other Orthodox have never been for the mindset since the connections with the Ethopian Orthodox church and his Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I (from where Regaee got much of its roots) , it is a stereotype to say as you did. For Rasta's don't just smoke weed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just received Dread Jesus from Amazon today. Am really looking forward to reading it!
Letting you know I FINALLY got a copy of the book recently/am getting through it. Truly, its an AMAZING read:cool:

Upvote 0