Orthodox Rasta: What to do with Rastafarians who are Christias/ Orthodox (Ethopian)?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Peace,

I was never incorporated into Rastafari, but I have a number of friends among the Rastas. If you want to converse with more Rastas who have embraced Christianity and especially Orthodox Christianity, you can find many at this forum Fulfilled Rastafari House - Serving Jah & Rastafari

Many thanks for the reference---as I was VERY impressed with the many perspectives they gave on the issue.....and it truly to see worlds merge.

Rastafari has always been a blend of many different beliefs. The worship of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I has been most widespread but not all Rastas worship Selassie as god. In fact, Marcus Mosiah Garvey, a towering figure in Rastafari livity did not worship Selassie. In the 1990's I believe, the 12 tribes mansion ruled that one could be Rasta in their house and not worship Selassie, but Jah. Also, many Rastas have embraced Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity through the churches that Selassie planted in the West Indies.
More than agree---and thus, why its always sad when witnessing the stereotypes others often give of the camp...and yet, not many are even aware it on the outside.
The Orthodox Church is for all people regardless of nationality or background. Rastas are welcome too :angel:

M
Yeah mon....:cool:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The cultural aspects of Rastafari that I retain and respect are:

*love and concern for Africa as our ancestral homeland. This might not seem like a big deal for people with a natural connection with the land of their fathers. But for people of African or mixed descent in the West, there has often been shame associated with being Black or having ancestors that were slaves. Rastafari elders were some of the first people to teach people of African descent not to be ashamed of Africa or our physical features, but to be proud of our history and who we are.

*Identification with the poor and the sufferers. I love this about Rastafari. It is a movement of poor people and people who suffer oppression to live with dignity and "upfullness" (hope).

*Respect for His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I. Of course, I do not worship him, but I love his writings, the fact that he sent bishops from the Ethiopian Church to the caribbean to catechize the Rastas that were worshipping him and that he gave a portion of his personal land, Sheshamane, for people of African descent who desired to "repatriate."

*My dreadlocks :) My husband, my son and I all have them.

*The aesthetics. I wear red, gold and green which have a special significance for us. I love my head wraps, my tams, my long skirts. I love the greetings ("peace, Ras." "one love, empress.")

*Ital food :) Ital means vital. Ital food is fresh and unprocessed. No meat, no dairy and no salt. Natural medicines when possible. I don't always eat ital, though I should. The Rasta elders taught us to live close to the earth and in harmony with nature.

*The music! Here as with other genres, there is a mixed bag to be found in reggae. I take the good and leave the rest. It may not be your cup of tea, but I love roots-rock-reggae, the themes of which draw a lot from the Scriptures. I've linked one of my favorite songs below. Note the Scriptural references:

Psalm 118:19 - Open to me the gates of righteousness:
I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD:
Isaiah 26:2 - Open ye the gates, that the righteous
nation which keepeth the truth may enter in.

Isaiah 43:6 - I will say to the north, Give up;
and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far,
and my daughters from the ends of the earth;

YouTube - The Congos - Open Up The Gate

M.

Amen!!!

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Edit: upon re-reading your post, I overstand more of what you are saying.

^_^ You're bringing back memories for me. In the early '80's I was really interested in reggae and Rasta, I even visited Jamaica. Unlike other slang, Rasta slang made a lot of common sense. Stuff like "overstand" and "politricks" were some of my favorite words. :)

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^_^ You're bringing back memories for me. In the early '80's I was really interested in reggae and Rasta, I even visited Jamaica. Unlike other slang, Rasta slang made a lot of common sense. Stuff like "overstand" and "politricks" were some of my favorite words. :)

:) seen!

I love Jamaica by the way. So beautiful! I've been to Trinidad too, which is also lovely.

M.

Reactions: Joshua G.
Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*The music! Here as with other genres, there is a mixed bag to be found in reggae. I take the good and leave the rest. It may not be your cup of tea, but I love roots-rock-reggae, the themes of which draw a lot from the Scriptures. I've linked one of my favorite songs below. Note the Scriptural references:

M.

I also really love reggae music and the Congos are actually one of my favorite groups! I love Heart of the Congos.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Arent rastafarians jamaican potheads who braid their hair in dredlocks to identify each other with? Or can the label extend to the caucasian kids who also braid their hair the same way trying to justify smoking "herb from the earth"? What cultural aspects are we talking about exactly that can be retained ?

A rather shallow treatment of Rastafarianism....

A more accurate treatment of "trustafarianism....young, white, "trust fund" kids who grow dreads and claim Rasta as an excuse to get all goobed on stinky bud... I live in Asheville NC...I see them daily...

The author mentioned above who wrote, Dread Jesus, Mr. Spencer, is a noted evangelical teacher and writer who is not to be taken lightly, esp as no Orthodox writer (that I am aware of) has taken this subject to task.

Just my 2 cents...

Clem

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A rather shallow treatment of Rastafarianism....

A more accurate treatment of "trustafarianism....young, white, "trust fund" kids who grow dreads and claim Rasta as an excuse to get all goobed on stinky bud... I live in Asheville NC...I see them daily...

The author mentioned above who wrote, Dread Jesus, Mr. Spencer, is a noted evangelical teacher and writer who is not to be taken lightly, esp as no Orthodox writer (that I am aware of) has taken this subject to task.

Just my 2 cents...

Clem

You'll be surprised at how many of these white kids who grow dreadlocks and smoke weed i found in Greece.

Who is this Mr Spencer?

Upvote 0

Josiah14

Make your sole goal acquisition of the Holy Spirit
Aug 12, 2008
United States of America
✟16,224.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The cultural aspects of Rastafari that I retain and respect are:

*love and concern for Africa as our ancestral homeland. This might not seem like a big deal for people with a natural connection with the land of their fathers. But for people of African or mixed descent in the West, there has often been shame associated with being Black or having ancestors that were slaves. Rastafari elders were some of the first people to teach people of African descent not to be ashamed of Africa or our physical features, but to be proud of our history and who we are.

*Identification with the poor and the sufferers. I love this about Rastafari. It is a movement of poor people and people who suffer oppression to live with dignity and "upfullness" (hope).

*Respect for His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I. Of course, I do not worship him, but I love his writings, the fact that he sent bishops from the Ethiopian Church to the caribbean to catechize the Rastas that were worshipping him and that he gave a portion of his personal land, Sheshamane, for people of African descent who desired to "repatriate."

*My dreadlocks :) My husband, my son and I all have them.

*The aesthetics. I wear red, gold and green which have a special significance for us. I love my head wraps, my tams, my long skirts. I love the greetings ("peace, Ras." "one love, empress.")

*Ital food :) Ital means vital. Ital food is fresh and unprocessed. No meat, no dairy and no salt. Natural medicines when possible. I don't always eat ital, though I should. The Rasta elders taught us to live close to the earth and in harmony with nature.

M.

I never knew this about you, Monica. That's pretty cool.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monica child of God 1

Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never knew this about you, Monica. That's pretty cool.

Thanks :) It is a part of who I am. When Rastas greet me on the street, they feel a kinship with me and I feel a kinship with them. Because of that, I have had so many good conversations about Christianity and the faith that H.I.M. practiced.

M.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks :) It is a part of who I am. When Rastas greet me on the street, they feel a kinship with me and I feel a kinship with them. Because of that, I have had so many good conversations about Christianity and the faith that H.I.M. practiced.

M.

What are the range of conversations that you typically have concerning Christianity/the Faith?

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);55384747 said:
What are the range of conversations that you typically have concerning Christianity/the Faith?

I usually am greeted as though I am a Rasta woman and I simply accept and return the greeting. If they ask if I am Rasta, I tell them I am an Orthodox Christian. From there, the conversation could go to whether Selassie was god or the 2nd coming of the Messiah. I bear witness to the beliefs of H.I.M. I share facts about H.I.M. life, like him baptizing all of his children in the Ethiopian Church. Or the devout Christian life that H.I.M. and Empress Menen led, going often to services, visiting monasteries and encouraging the keeping of the feasts of the Church. They also rebuilt and supported many churches.

Sometimes I just listen to them share about their beliefs. Many sincere Rastas will tell me that even if they believe Selassie was divine, they do not believe he was the Creator or Jah. I don't go into every or even most conversations looking to share my beliefs. Sometimes, I think it is just good for them to know that one can be Christian and keep their locks and other aspects of the trod.

M.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I usually am greeted as though I am a Rasta woman and I simply accept and return the greeting. If they ask if I am Rasta, I tell them I am an Orthodox Christian. From there, the conversation could go to whether Selassie was god or the 2nd coming of the Messiah. I bear witness to the beliefs of H.I.M. I share facts about H.I.M. life, like him baptizing all of his children in the Ethiopian Church. Or the devout Christian life that H.I.M. and Empress Menen led, going often to services, visiting monasteries and encouraging the keeping of the feasts of the Church. They also rebuilt and supported many churches.

Got ya..and cool to hear.

On my mission trip, they often called me Rasta as well----though it was by both Christians and locals.

Sometimes I just listen to them share about their beliefs. Many sincere Rastas will tell me that even if they believe Selassie was divine, they do not believe he was the Creator or Jah.
Curious as to what it'd look like to consider one who is Divine and yet not God----as I
've heard of similar concepts ....like man being Divine by being made in the Image of God or the Biblical Concept of Theosis, where God becomes man so that man can become God..sharing in his energies but not his essence---as I've shared elsewhere in the thread entitled Theosis Is Not Supported in Scripture or the Church Fathers? & Theosis .... But with Hallie Salissee, it has always been intriguing when other say they don't believe he was God and yet claim he literally embodied God above others (if I understand it correctly).

I don't go into every or even most conversations looking to share my beliefs. Sometimes, I think it is just good for them to know that one can be Christian and keep their locks and other aspects of the trod.

M
More than understand you on the point. Thanks for sharing...

On a side note, if interested, one article which I think would bless you deals with a lady who used to be a Former Rasta and later converted. Very powerful, as seen in the article entitled Judy Mowatt: From Rasta to disciple, in which Reggae gospel singer JUDY MOWATT talked to Mike Rimmer about her years with Bob Marley and the reggae superstar's deathbed conversion to Christianity.

http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/articles/music/From_Rasta_To_Disciple/16758/p1/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just received Dread Jesus from Amazon today. Am really looking forward to reading it!
That's awesome!!! Praying that it'll be a good read for ya

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);55445961 said:
That's awesome!!! Praying that it'll be a good read for ya

Yes, I am looking forward to it....the author and his wife are professors at my alma mater, so though I did not take classes with either of them, I know their work well. This should be good!

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I am looking forward to it....the author and his wife are professors at my alma mater, so though I did not take classes with either of them, I know their work well. This should be good!
Wow!

I never knew that the man's ministry was literally that close to you since you could live seeing him in action. But wild nonetheless to realize.

Upvote 0