Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Isn't this kind of tame for Greece? I mean I have heard of monks rioting because of a papal visit before, and this kind of saber rattling talk is not really new with the Greeks or the Russians as far as what they say sometimes in online articles and such.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟130,371.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ex-Pope Benedict on why he resigned: ‘God told me to’

Why would God tell him to? Something is going on.

I think there is something bigger going on, like the current pope, Pope Francis, is the last pope.

Yoma 10a in the Talmud – “Rabbi Yochanan said in the name of Rabbi Yehuda in the name of Rabbi Ilayi: In the time to come, Rome will fall at the hands of Persia.”

- Prophecy Fulfilled: Sept. 4, 2015

Muslims are already talking about conquering Rome as promised by Allah. It's better to have the church fall with appropriate leadership that reflects the state of the church.

"Thus, Daniel 11:40 describes the war between the kings of the north and south that will start as a result of the violent “push” of the king of the south against the king of the north. "

Iran pushes against Europe. Europe waits nine months then nukes Iran.

But what is a "push?"

In this case, I think push means nuclear terrorism takes out Rome.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A Catholic cannot be a heretic to us, only in terms of Catholic ecclesiology.
A heretic is someone INSIDE the Church, seeking to pervert its teachings. Catholics are not inside our Church, though I sympathize with those of traditional views that are unhappy at the ways PF has been undermining certain traditional Catholic teachings, most of which also happen to be our teachings.

• Informative
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A Catholic cannot be a heretic to us, only in terms of Catholic ecclesiology.
A heretic is someone INSIDE the Church, seeking to pervert its teachings. Catholics are not inside our Church, though I sympathize with those of traditional views that are unhappy at the ways PF has been undermining certain traditional Catholic teachings, most of which also happen to be our teachings.

that’s not true. John Calvin has been condemned as a heretic by us.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Iran pushes against Europe. Europe waits nine months then nukes Iran.

But what is a "push?"

In this case, I think push means nuclear terrorism takes out Rome.

I have heard that somewhere before about Rome being destroyed. I think Israel will likely take care of Iran if things start going south quickly...

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
that’s not true. John Calvin has been condemned as a heretic by us.
This sounds like nuance to me. Certainly his teachings are heretical, and must not be taught in the Church. But the man himself was never part of the Orthodox Church. All wrong teachings, raised in the Orthodox Church, are heretical. And they are always wrong, wherever they are taught. But used indiscriminately and applied to everyone holding wrong beliefs outside the Church, the word becomes essentially meaningless. It would mean that nearly everyone is a heretic in some regard or another.

Reactions: bmjackson
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This sounds like nuance to me. Certainly his teachings are heretical, and must not be taught in the Church. But the man himself was never part of the Orthodox Church. All wrong teachings, raised in the Orthodox Church, are heretical. And they are always wrong, wherever they are taught. But used indiscriminately and applied to everyone holding wrong beliefs outside the Church, the word becomes essentially meaningless. It would mean that nearly everyone is a heretic in some regard or another.

it does not matter. he was condemned by name. therefore, you do not need to be within the Church to be a heretic.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it does not matter. he was condemned by name. therefore, you do not need to be within the Church to be a heretic.
That synod had an interesting answer to the question about the Bible being read in the vulgar language. It’s one of the scenarios where what the Orthodox Church currently teaches, what I was taught in my catechism and what the saints teach is completely different than what the synod says (or at least implies). I understand the concerns and reasoning behind it, but still do not see it as consistent with Orthodox teaching with some of what was said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That synod had an interesting answer to the question about the Bible being read in the vulgar language. It’s one of the scenarios where what the Orthodox Church currently teaches, what I was taught in my catechism and what the saints teach is completely different than what the synod says (or at least implies). I understand the concerns and reasoning behind it, but still do not see it as consistent with Orthodox teaching with some of what was said.

yeah, that’s why I also brought up Islam as well. I mean, St Mark of Ephesus also calls them heretics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I mean the Roman Church is both a heretical and schismatic body, how long does it has to pass so that a group does not longer become "heretical or schismatic" just because they were not raised Orthodox, if so then the children of Old Believers or "True Orthodox" would not be considered schismatics.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟432,591.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Well, of course, I refer to my signature and defer to the consensus of the fathers. But I think it HUGELY problematic to hold that we essentially need to hold everyone believing in or promoting false teachings as a heretic. Certainly each of the Protestant “Reformers” went wrong in some way and developed some form of heretical teaching. But I see the distinction that matters and which is actually helpful to be whether the person is a member of the Church (as we hold it to be) or not. Otherwise, we’d pretty much have to drive away all inquirers, saying “You’re a heretic” to each when they express such a false idea, whether it’s Calvinistic predestination, or Baptist “Once saved, always saved”. That’s not meant to be a caricature of what you are saying; I think it really is the upshot of saying that we should call people with false teachings outside of the Church “heretics”. It’s not helpful, it makes no distinction, and it turns people away from the Church. Our ecclesiological situation is radically different from that of the first millennium A.D.

Upvote 0