1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Orthodox Priest Becomes an Evangelical Pastor

Discussion in 'Semper Reformanda' started by JM, Jun 18, 2022.

1. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Interesting testimony of a man that was ordained Eastern Orthodox that left and became a Protestant minister.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  2. Tigger45

Tigger45 Stand by Ukraine Supporter

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Very rare occurrence, in fact I’d not heard of this before. Typically occurs the other way around such as Protestant to Orthodox.

3. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Justified

+3,486
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Yes. I personally have a friend who switched, and then became Roman Catholic.

4. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Please remember you are in the Semper forum when posting.

I know a few that have converted to Catholicism and Orthodoxy. Neither read their Bibles and within 10 years stopped attending Church altogether.

5. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Yeah I was an Orthodox catechumen for about 7 years but couldn't commit. Synergism puts me psychologically on a hamster wheel.

6. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Similar story with me but for less time... I was converted reading scripture so it's difficult to move to tradition when the Holy Spirit speaks so clearly in scripture.

7. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I was raised in a nominally Catholic household but didn't fully dedicate my life to Christ until 30 yo through Calvary chapel. Orthodoxy did help familiarize me with the early church and church fathers. Previously like many protestants my knowledge only went back to the Reformation.

8. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    The church fathers solidified my Protestantism especially when one realizes that if Israel can lose their covenant position with God a state church can lose it's lampstand. Succession of truth matters more than pedigree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    What I noticed with the ECF's is overwhelming they themselves justified their teachings with Scripture, hence ultimately Sola scriptura .

10. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Yes, it goes something like, "so and so said this which is our tradition. Besides, scripture confirms it."

11. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Right, which is fine with me when establishing a point in a discussion but when teachings are held outside of clear biblical references is when I become suspicious.

I prefer to glean from ECF writings to find a consensus of thought and understanding within church paradigms at the time but they are just another perspective to add to the knowledge I’ve gathered along the way in my Christian journey.

12. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+3,804
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I liked his observation that ordinary Christians in the pews (Orthodox, Evangelical, and presumably those in other traditions) often don't know that much about their own church's history, and that one remedy might be for congregations to watch and discuss an introductory church history video series together. I might suggest that in my own parish.

13. tampasteve

tampasteve Lost in the swamp Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+6,345
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think there is a lot more movement from Orthodox and Catholic churches into Protestant churches than most people really realize, probably more from Catholic to Protestant than Orthodox, but it is still there. It is more obvious in Liturgical churches like Lutheran and Anglican churches as those tend to attract lapse or minimal Catholics due to the similarity in worship style. At least this seems to be the case in my anecdotal observations.

I would entirely believe it happens in the clergy as well, unless they make a podcast about it we just don't hear about it as it is not exactly news worthy.

People move into the Orthodox and Catholic churches as well, of course. I crossed the Tiber, and eventually left again. So technically the RCC would have me on the roles still. But the numbers moving into those churches is likely less than the numbers moving out or just leaving the Catholic/Orthodox church all together for nothing or just being inactive in those churches.

14. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I've seen a lot of Catholic to protestant and protestant to both Catholic and Orthodox but not any personaly from Orthodox to Protestant once they are baptized and charismated.

15. tampasteve

tampasteve Lost in the swamp Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+6,345
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have no idea how common it may be, but I do know a couple Eastern and one Oriental Orthodox that became Protestant.

16. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    James White and others have mentioned that many that move to traditional Catholicism or Orthodoxy from Protestantism usually stop attending Church also 10 years later. They find out the Emperor has no clothes and give up or join a schematic group.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte-tested and approved Supporter

+9,741
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    What's a schematic group?

Although I'm in the Reformed tradition, there is a lot about orthodoxy that I admire. I especially like their approach to spiritual discipline and prayer. What I find baffling is the almost inherent nationalism among the various Orthodox sects.

18. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    Some schismatic groups are, for example, Catholic groups that don't believe the current Pope is valid or strict Orthodox that follow the old calendar and other older traditions no longer followed or accepted.

I find the Orthodox to be cultural expressions of an ancient form of a State church encrusted with false practices that causes spiritual purification and naval gazing.

19. Tigger45

+12,512
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Do you happen to know if those three were converts to Orthodoxy? The priest at our local Orthodox parish said the bishop likes to see catechumens attend the full year before baptism hoping to reduce a revolving door of converts.

20. JM

+3,190
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    If you're confused I get it but capitulation to the spirit of the age and accepting non Calvinistic Reformed beliefs and pushing them forward in the Semper forum, when those beliefs are contra to our creeds and confessions, is not a virtue but virtue signalling. Calling someones comments prejudicial from a position of ignorance is a guttersnipe claiming high ground.

My comments come from experience in Orthodoxy and study of church history and theology. My comments echo the sentiments and teachings of the Reformers and the Semper forum, they can be found using something called google if need be.