Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Still exploring this rich tradition (thanks for the reading recommendations and answers to past questions), so I have questions regarding orthodox prayer life..

1. Can you explain "praying the hours", how it relates to other Orthodox prayer services, and is this something done by individuals at home, or as part of services in community. If by individuals, it seems that there are many times of prayer during the day-how do you fit these into a work schedule? Are there differences between clergy, monastic, and laity in the performance of such?

2. Do you find that prescribed, ritual prayers fulfill all of your prayer needs, or do you pray in addition to those prescribed prayers? Do you find such "personal" enough, or am I missing something in even asking this question?

3. How do you even keep track? From the outside, it seems very confusing...is there some clear order to it all?

4. Could you lay out what a typical day in prayer would be for the average lay Orthodox?

(Thanks for your patience in bearing with my questions.)

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Still exploring this rich tradition (thanks for the reading recommendations and answers to past questions), so I have questions regarding orthodox prayer life..

1. Can you explain "praying the hours", how it relates to other Orthodox prayer services, and is this something done by individuals at home, or as part of services in community. If by individuals, it seems that there are many times of prayer during the day-how do you fit these into a work schedule? Are there differences between clergy, monastic, and laity in the performance of such?

the Hours are four quick prayer services that you can do throughout the day, even at home. since it is a prescribed service of the Church, it is generally the same across the board.

2. Do you find that prescribed, ritual prayers fulfill all of your prayer needs, or do you pray in addition to those prescribed prayers? Do you find such "personal" enough, or am I missing something in even asking this question?

personally no, but the prayers prescribed by the Church help keep us on track when we do pray on our own.

3. How do you even keep track? From the outside, it seems very confusing...is there some clear order to it all?

what do you mean by keep track? the Hours and certain prayers are prescribed for certain times of the day if that is what you mean.

4. Could you lay out what a typical day in prayer would be for the average lay Orthodox

that really depends on the person and his priest. but generally you have morning and evening prayers, and then those before meals. and the Jesus prayer throughout the day as you can.

hope this helps!

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the Hours are four quick prayer services that you can do throughout the day, even at home. since it is a prescribed service of the Church, it is generally the same across the board.

personally no, but the prayers prescribed by the Church help keep us on track when we do pray on our own.

what do you mean by keep track? the Hours and certain prayers are prescribed for certain times of the day if that is what you mean.

that really depends on the person and his priest. but generally you have morning and evening prayers, and then those before meals. and the Jesus prayer throughout the day as you can.

hope this helps!
As always, thank you for your response. So how then do you meet these obligations if you are at work during these prayer times? You say most Orthodox do morning and evening prayers - are the rest of the Hours usually not prayed by the average laity, or am I misunderstanding you?

I guess keeping track may not be so complicated then...it just looked from my limited view like there were various prayers at different times of the day, for different days and feasts, for many services, but it may be clearer when living it.

Again, thank you for the reply and having patience....

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As always, thank you for your response. So how then do you meet these obligations if you are at work during these prayer times? You say most Orthodox do morning and evening prayers - are the rest of the Hours usually not prayed by the average laity, or am I misunderstanding you?

I guess keeping track may not be so complicated then...it just looked from my limited view like there were various prayers at different times of the day, for different days and feasts, for many services, but it may be clearer when living it.

Again, thank you for the reply and having patience....

sometimes folks do the Hours with morning prayers, some only on weekends to prepare for Liturgy. it really depends on what you can do. remember God judges the heart, He knows your intent if you can't do them.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sometimes folks do the Hours with morning prayers, some only on weekends to prepare for Liturgy. it really depends on what you can do. remember God judges the heart, He knows your intent if you can't do them.
Thank you. That is helpful.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

4. Could you lay out what a typical day in prayer would be for the average lay Orthodox?

(Thanks for your patience in bearing with my questions.)

I really like Matt's responses.
However, from a practical, pragmatic, standpoint from a working member of laity; here's how it works for me:
I do the morning prayers first thing in the morning. I drive my daughter to work each day, she opens a restaurant for breakfast. She has to be at work at 4am. I get up around 3:15 do the first things and immediately move to the prayer corner.
I pray the 'Morning Prayers' followed by the daily readings from the Lectionary and the Commemoration of the Saints. Typically, I then end with the 'midnight prayer'.
This takes 20-30 minutes, basically ending in just enough time to pour the brewing coffee into my travel mug as I head out.

The mealtime prayer(s) are short. Usually I do this just 'under my breath' over the table.

I commute to/from work on a bicycle (15 miles) and often use the public transit for about 9-10 miles in the afternoon. I pray the evening prayers on the bus.
I also add most of the occasional prayers at this time. I've found that the commute time is a great 'quiet' moment and the Jesus Prayer can be prayed sincerely on a long bicycle ride (see Abbot Tryphon's Blog on "Lay Monasticism" - linked here).
I recommend getting a prayer book but most of these are online here (linkage)

I will use the services more when at home on the weekend. Either Saturday night or early Sunday morning I will add all of the prayers for Preparation for receiving the Eucharist.
I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really like Matt's responses.
However, from a practical, pragmatic, standpoint from a working member of laity; here's how it works for me:
I do the morning prayers first thing in the morning. I drive my daughter to work each day, she opens a restaurant for breakfast. She has to be at work at 4am. I get up around 3:15 do the first things and immediately move to the prayer corner.
I pray the 'Morning Prayers' followed by the daily readings from the Lectionary and the Commemoration of the Saints. Typically, I then end with the 'midnight prayer'.
This takes 20-30 minutes, basically ending in just enough time to pour the brewing coffee into my travel mug as I head out.

The mealtime prayer(s) are short. Usually I do this just 'under my breath' over the table.

I commute to/from work on a bicycle (15 miles) and often use the public transit for about 9-10 miles in the afternoon. I pray the evening prayers on the bus.
I also add most of the occasional prayers at this time. I've found that the commute time is a great 'quiet' moment and the Jesus Prayer can be prayed sincerely on a long bicycle ride (see Abbot Tryphon's Blog on "Lay Monasticism" - linked here).
I recommend getting a prayer book but most of these are online here (linkage)

I will use the services more when at home on the weekend. Either Saturday night or early Sunday morning I will add all of the prayers for Preparation for receiving the Eucharist.
I hope this helps.
Thank you. It is helpful for me to see examples of how this might work. I had the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that Orthodoxy is quite rigid, but it seems there is flexibility and grace in its requirements.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. It is helpful for me to see examples of how this might work. I had the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that Orthodoxy is quite rigid, but it seems there is flexibility and grace in its requirements.

we are rigid about what we believe. practical stuff, however, must be pastorally applied. the life of a monk and the life of a layman are different with different crosses to bear, even though the goal is the same.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
we are rigid about what we believe. practical stuff, however, must be pastorally applied. the life of a monk and the life of a layman are different with different crosses to bear, even though the goal is the same.
Ah, that makes sense.

(I still have a pile of books on Orthodoxy sitting on my bedside table. I have been trying to catch up, but work, family and my own church's responsibilities (as well as - probably too much - time here on CF) have not allowed for me to read through things as quickly as I would like.)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah, that makes sense.

(I still have a pile of books on Orthodoxy sitting on my bedside table. I have been trying to catch up, but work, family and my own church's responsibilities (as well as - probably too much - time here on CF) have not allowed for me to read through things as quickly as I would like.)

haha, as do I and I am sure a ton of posters in here. just always keep in mind the knowledge of God is truly in the Liturgy. you go to Church, experience God, then those books will fall into place.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
haha, as do I and I am sure a ton of posters in here. just always keep in mind the knowledge of God is truly in the Liturgy. you go to Church, experience God, then those books will fall into place.
Thank you for your responses.
[Rereading my last reply, it occurs to me that I might have sounded rude referring to the Orthodox as rigid - please forgive me if I caused any offense...it was not my intention to be insulting (not that you stated or implied such, but I wouldn't want to seem ungrateful to my hosts here in TAW).]

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your responses.
[Rereading my last reply, it occurs to me that I might have sounded rude referring to the Orthodox as rigid - please forgive me if I caused any offense...it was not my intention to be insulting (not that you stated or implied such, but I wouldn't want to seem ungrateful to my hosts here in TAW).]

no, that's fine. we are rigid where we need to be rigid, flexible where we need to be flexible. we are very rigid in who we say Christ is.

Upvote 0