Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is there an Orthodox equivalent to things like the Camino de Santiago for the Catholics? I'm graduating college in May and thinking about taking some sort of gap year/summer/something, and I thought something like a pilgrimage would be cool. I have a friend who did the Camino and loved it. Although I guess that's a pre-schism pilgrimage (it just got more popular in the Medieval times), so it's something I'd potentially be able to do.

But yeah - any suggestions?

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mt. Athos is the most common pilgrimage location for Orthodox Christians outside the U.S. with Jerusalem being popular for all Christians I'd think. Really any of the monasteries I think would be great. In addition Turkey could be a cool spot though things are a little hot there right now.

Otherwise depending on your financial situation any Orthodox monasteries in the U.S. could also be a good pilgrimage. St. Anthony's monastery in Arizona is one of the more popular monasteries in the U.S.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there an Orthodox equivalent to things like the Camino de Santiago for the Catholics? I'm graduating college in May and thinking about taking some sort of gap year/summer/something, and I thought something like a pilgrimage would be cool. I have a friend who did the Camino and loved it. Although I guess that's a pre-schism pilgrimage (it just got more popular in the Medieval times), so it's something I'd potentially be able to do.

But yeah - any suggestions?

if you are staying in the US I recommend:

St Tikhon's Monastery in PA
Holy Transfiguration in PA
Holy Trinity in Jordanville, NY
St Anthony's in AZ
Holy Cross in W
St Dionysius in NY

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess to clarify, I'm not exactly asking for a place to pilgrimage, but a path to walk, if that makes sense. (The Camino de Santiago is as much about the journey as the destination, as I understand it).

Then again, I guess there doesn't need to be a difference. I can pick a location, get to that continent, and then walk there, if that's what I want to do.

Upvote 0

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What about The Stations of the Cross? In Jerusalem, go to the Old City, and walk where Jesus walked, carrying his cross, to be crucified. I was out of shape and only made it part way, to the Station of the Cross at which Jesus said goodbye to his mother. Then I couldn’t make it any further up the hill (Mt. Calvary). However, I didn’t feel so bad once I remembered something about Jesus. You see, I don’t have to walk to the site of the Crucifixion, BECAUSE JESUS HAS ALREADY DONE THAT FOR ME. Jesus is like Scrubbing Bubbles. He’s done the work, so you don’t have tooooooo...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shouldn’t it be “no se como vivir sin dios?”

What about The Stations of the Cross? In Jerusalem, go to the Old City, and walk where Jesus walked, carrying his cross, to be crucified. I was out of shape and only made it part way, to the Station of the Cross at which Jesus said goodbye to his mother. Then I couldn’t make it any further up the hill (Mt. Calvary). However, I didn’t feel so bad once I remembered something about Jesus. You see, I don’t have to walk to the site of the Crucifixion, BECAUSE JESUS HAS ALREADY DONE THAT FOR ME. Jesus is like Scrubbing Bubbles. He’s done the work, so you don’t have tooooooo...

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,780.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about The Stations of the Cross? In Jerusalem, go to the Old City, and walk where Jesus walked, carrying his cross, to be crucified.
Stations of the Cross are based on a Catholic mystic's visions and are not something I would consider as an Orthodox.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Stations of the Cross are based on a Catholic mystic's visions and are not something I would consider as an Orthodox.
I visited a WR parish that had relief carvings of the Stations hanging around the sanctuary/chapel.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I visited a WR parish that had relief carvings of the Stations hanging around the sanctuary/chapel.

Maybe it was a former Catholic Church? There is a Georgian OC near where I live in a former Catholic Church that kept the artwork. They recognize sincere representation of the Lord.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe it was a former Catholic Church? There is a Georgian OC near where I live in a former Catholic Church that kept the artwork. They recognize sincere representation of the Lord.
I think one of the priests is a former Episcopalian, but yeah. The art is fine, it'd be more the practices of imagining ourselves at the Stations that would be objectionable to Orthodox theology, than the Stations themselves, right? Sorta like the rosary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do most Orthodox do a pilgrimage to Israel?
Yes! Most of the sites are Orthodox including many you didn't know even existed. There is also the Mar Saba Monastery in Jerusalem and St Katherine Monastery at Mt. Sinai, two of the most ancient and most important monasteries with ancient manuscripts still waiting to be discovered..

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think one of the priests is a former Episcopalian, but yeah. The art is fine, it'd be more the practices of imagining ourselves at the Stations that would be objectionable to Orthodox theology, than the Stations themselves, right? Sorta like the rosary

Interestingly enough, the former Catholic name of the now Georgian Orthodox parish I have in mind was Holy Rosary.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
An underappreciated American Orthodox monastery would be All-Merciful Savior in Vashon Island, WA.
And who can forget St Herman's on Spruce Island, AK?

Mt Athos is a popular pilgrimage, yes, but it is also important to visit the local monasteries in one's own country. They need the support too ;)

Shouldn’t it be “no se como vivir sin dios?”
No sé cómo vivir sin Dios.

Upvote 0