Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you! I had looked at several other websites but they weren't laid out as plainly. Does acceptance of such programs vary by jurisdiction?

It varies by jurisdiction, but probably mostly by bishop and a person's individual case. All the people that I've encountered who have done an online correspondence course like this have become deacons. All the priests that I have met have gone to an actual seminary (with the exception of some priest-monks who have not gone to any kind of seminary whatsoever). I've heard of people who were older doing some kind of correspondence courses to qualify for ordination as priests, but I have not met any, at least not that I know of.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are any of the various online seminaries used as the primary means of study prior to ordination, or are they solely for those seeking to help their local Church or personal development?

I know they use online courses for folks who either were clergy in other denominations, or if they feel the call but are too busy for actual seminary.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It really depends on the ministry one is preparing for, what the bishop thinks one needs in order to prepare, and one's ability to commit time or finances.

The standard route, though, is to attend for several years at one of the Orthodox seminaries as an on-campus student: Holy Cross (Greek Orthodox), St. Vladimir's (OCA), St. Tikhon's (OCA), St. Herman's (OCA specializing in ministry in Alaska), Jordanville (ROCOR, undergraduate only). Antiochene students attend any number of those - I know they attend St. Vlad's and St. Tikhon's frequently.

Hope that helps...

In Christ,
Macarius

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It really depends on the ministry one is preparing for, what the bishop thinks one needs in order to prepare, and one's ability to commit time or finances.

The standard route, though, is to attend for several years at one of the Orthodox seminaries as an on-campus student: Holy Cross (Greek Orthodox), St. Vladimir's (OCA), St. Tikhon's (OCA), St. Herman's (OCA specializing in ministry in Alaska), Jordanville (ROCOR, undergraduate only). Antiochene students attend any number of those - I know they attend St. Vlad's and St. Tikhon's frequently.

Hope that helps...

In Christ,
Macarius

and St Sophia's (Ukrainian), St Sava's (Serbian), Christ the Savior (Carpatho-Russian), although Macarius mentioned the more well known in the US.

Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and St Sophia's (Ukrainian), St Sava's (Serbian), Christ the Savior (Carpatho-Russian), although Macarius mentioned the more well known in the US.

I didn't know there was a US Carpatho-Rus seminary! Learn something new every day...

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know there was a US Carpatho-Rus seminary! Learn something new every day...

I will be up there this time next week for D/L and to accompany my Priest to the meeting where they will discuss the candidate for Bishop. Pray for the gathering of all the ACROD Priests next Saturday!

BTW, Johnstown, PA

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,455,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will be up there this time next week for D/L and to accompany my Priest to the meeting where they will discuss the candidate for Bishop. Pray for the gathering of all the ACROD Priests next Saturday!

BTW, Johnstown, PA

may God guide you in your decision. I have been to Christ the Savior a few times and it's a pretty nice seminary I must say.

Upvote 0