Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God willing, when I have children we will homeschool them! I'd be interested to see different curricula. My fiancée and I really want to push a Great Books education. Any ideas?

In Christ,
Andrew

We won't be using a formal curriculum until about 4th grade or so. The first several years it will be a lot of basic stuff for which we will not need any text books or special plan. We have not decided on what curriculum we will use though. We're considering "Ages of Grace", which has a pretty unique approach, and was developed by someone from my parish, although we're not yet decided.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
God willing, when I have children we will homeschool them! I'd be interested to see different curricula. My fiancée and I really want to push a Great Books education. Any ideas?

In Christ,
Andrew

I would suggest looking into a Charlotte Mason approach, which is especially valuable for those with younger kids because unlike many other curricula, she addresses at length habit formation and home life.

There are a number of great books programs out there, but some are much better than others. The one to really stay away from is the Thomas Jefferson one - I cannot remember the exact name.

I would suggest looking at Ambleside Online, which is based on Masons schools. We have used it although we tend to substitute many of the literature selections. I have been really happy with their suggestions for history and other topics. You do have to dig around the site a bit. It uses a lot of older books that are available online because they look to keep costs down as much as possible, which can be a great thing if you are on a budget.

A more user friendly curriculum is Simply Charlotte Mason. There is also a Catholic Charlotte Mason curricula ( I cant remember the name) which I have found useful for some religious studies suggestions - unfortunately the others I have mentioned tend to recommend some American style evangelical materials that are not so useful to me.

Another Great Books curricula I really like is The Latin Centered Curriculum.

Upvote 0
M

Mother of Shadows

Homeschooling or homeschool (also called home education or home based learning) is the education of children at home, typically by parents or by tutors, rather than in other formal settings of public or private school. Although prior to the introduction of compulsory school attendance laws, most childhood education occurred within the family or community, homeschooling in the modern sense is an alternative in developed countries to attending public or private schools. Homeschooling is a legal option for parents in many countries, allowing them to provide their children with a learning environment as an alternative to public or private schools outside the individual's home.

Parents cite numerous reasons as motivations to homeschool their children. The three reasons that are selected by the majority of homeschooling parents in the United States are concern about the school environment, to provide religious or moral instruction, and dissatisfaction with academic instruction at public and private schools. Homeschooling may also be a factor in the choice of parenting style. Homeschooling can be an option for families living in isolated rural locations, living temporarily abroad, to allow for more traveling, while many young athletes and actors are taught at home. Homeschooling can be about mentorship and apprenticeship, where a tutor or teacher is with the child for many years and then knows the child very well. Recently, homeschooling has increased in popularity in the United States, with the percentage of children 5-17 who are homeschooled increasing from 1.7% in 1999 to 2.9% in 2007.

Homeschooling can be used as a form of supplementary education, a way of helping children learn, in specific circumstances. For instance, children that attend downgraded schools can greatly benefit from homeschooling ways of learning, using the immediacy and low cost of the Internet. As a synonym to e-learning, homeschooling can be combined with traditional education and lead to better and more complete results. Homeschooling may also refer to instruction in the home under the supervision of correspondence schools or umbrella schools. In some places, an approved curriculum is legally required if children are to be home-schooled. A curriculum-free philosophy of homeschooling may be called unschooling, a term coined in 1977 by American educator and author John Holt in his magazine Growing Without Schooling. In some cases, a liberal arts education is provided using the trivium and quadrivium as the main model.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No offense but, who asked for a formal definition of homeschooling? LOL...didn't the OP ask about which TAW members homeschool? :confused::o

Homeschooling or homeschool (also called home education or home based learning) is the education of children at home, typically by parents or by tutors, rather than in other formal settings of public or private school. Although prior to the introduction of compulsory school attendance laws, most childhood education occurred within the family or community, homeschooling in the modern sense is an alternative in developed countries to attending public or private schools. Homeschooling is a legal option for parents in many countries, allowing them to provide their children with a learning environment as an alternative to public or private schools outside the individual's home.

Parents cite numerous reasons as motivations to homeschool their children. The three reasons that are selected by the majority of homeschooling parents in the United States are concern about the school environment, to provide religious or moral instruction, and dissatisfaction with academic instruction at public and private schools. Homeschooling may also be a factor in the choice of parenting style. Homeschooling can be an option for families living in isolated rural locations, living temporarily abroad, to allow for more traveling, while many young athletes and actors are taught at home. Homeschooling can be about mentorship and apprenticeship, where a tutor or teacher is with the child for many years and then knows the child very well. Recently, homeschooling has increased in popularity in the United States, with the percentage of children 5-17 who are homeschooled increasing from 1.7% in 1999 to 2.9% in 2007.

Homeschooling can be used as a form of supplementary education, a way of helping children learn, in specific circumstances. For instance, children that attend downgraded schools can greatly benefit from homeschooling ways of learning, using the immediacy and low cost of the Internet. As a synonym to e-learning, homeschooling can be combined with traditional education and lead to better and more complete results. Homeschooling may also refer to instruction in the home under the supervision of correspondence schools or umbrella schools. In some places, an approved curriculum is legally required if children are to be home-schooled. A curriculum-free philosophy of homeschooling may be called unschooling, a term coined in 1977 by American educator and author John Holt in his magazine Growing Without Schooling. In some cases, a liberal arts education is provided using the trivium and quadrivium as the main model.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of a mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped from it in the bettering of man's future. For what is the use of transmitting knowledge if the individual's total development lags behind?

If a homeschooling curriculum is devoid of faith or questions/ridicules our Holy Faith, then it is worthless.

We Orthodox Christians are pilgrims on this earth awaiting the Heavenly Kingdom. If we are not growing in the Holy Faith, then we are regressing. We are called to struggle against our passions, temptations, and the devil in order to grow in our faith. If we are not struggling, then we are sinning. Thus, we must teach our children by our good examples to avoid temptation and to achieve theosis (sanctification and illumination), so that they can remain firm in the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Thank you, everyone, for your input.

We won't be using a formal curriculum until about 4th grade or so. The first several years it will be a lot of basic stuff for which we will not need any text books or special plan. We have not decided on what curriculum we will use though. We're considering "Ages of Grace", which has a pretty unique approach, and was developed by someone from my parish, although we're not yet decided.

Is Ages of Grace still around? We are currently using Our Lady Of Victory but are looking into other options, as well.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of a mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped from it in the bettering of man's future. For what is the use of transmitting knowledge if the individual's total development lags behind?

MIS, and K3, and other names you have used,
Quoting encyclopedias is not helpful, and is far more likely to irritate than inspire gratitude. Most of us doubtless have search bars in our browsers, If we don't know what a thing is (and trust the source) we can look it up.

Your use of the word "antiquated" shows unclear thinking, thinking based on humanism, the idea of bettering man's future without God. Education IS transmission; it is not knowledge itself, and good education NEVER proposes transmitting ONLY knowledge, but also the framework in which to understand it (philosophy/world view). It is precisely this humanistic attitude, whether acknowledged as such or not, that causes individual development to "lag behind" (a metaphor evoking images of races, comparing us to - who?).

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox

What do you like about Ages of Grace?

Upvote 0