Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well I think the Orthodox forum has picked up and we've had some good posts.  I pray this forum continues to grow.  For those that profess the faith of the Orthodox Churches, would you please share your conversion stories here?  (Or if you're a womb to tomb-er, feel free to share anything about your faith here). 

CopticOrthodox

Mar 16, 2003
Visit site
✟515.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
My family is Protestant (United when I was little), but we stopped going to Church when I was young. Through highschool I was basically an athiest, until OAC (gr 12) when I became Protestant (Baptist/Pentecostal) thanks to several Baptist friends. When I came to university, the residence I picked was a Catholic collage because it was quieter than main campus. My roommate was very Catholic (the dons thought it'd be funny to put us together since he specifically requested only a Catholic). We stayed up late most nights talking (a combination of discussing and arguing), and by the end of 1st year I was pretty much ready to enter the Roman Catholic Church. A friend had me go talk to their Coptic priest first, and I went not expecting him to be able to change my mind. He presented more convincing answers than I had been expecting, and I spent the next year studing the history, the different teachings, the fathers, and going and talking with this preist a couple times a month. It took a while because we basically had to go through every difference between the two Churches, plus sort out the 3 different versions of history. For most of the time I was able to go to the Catholic Church Sat. evening, and the Orthodox Church Sun. morning, so I never saw Vespers until I'd made my decision. At the end of 2nd year I was finally Baptised, and about 4 months later I was ordained a Chanter. Now I'm finishing my 3rd or 4 years at university, and trying to find time to read all the stuff I have to catch up on that I missed in the first 20 years of my life. The end of this month is the 1 year anniversary of my Baptism.

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was not raised in any religion, but just a general Protestant southern mileau. One grandmother was Presbyterian and one was Jehovah's Witness, and they both enfolded me within their system. I actually got very interested in the JW briefly when I was young, but I also was infatuated with Mormonism after visiting Salt Lake City. (2 of my brothers did in fact become Mormons.) My devotion however was to the Catholic Church. After seeing the Sound of Music when I was 12 I wanted to be a nun, and when I went to summer camp I lied and said I was Catholic so I could go to church, but I was busted when they called my parents for permission to ride the bus in to church.
Anyway, college turned me into a liberal Christian hater, where I remained until I became pregnant with my first child in my mid-30's, and I felt God calling me. I tried to enter the Catholic Church, but I was divorced, and my ex for some reason would NOT cooperate in filling out the annulment papers, so they told me to forget it. I dabbled in Wicca and a feminist Sophia-type Catholic church that had a beautiful Liturgy, (at least at first, before they started using that STUPID baker woman prayer.) I also started going to an Orthodox Church, and I confess it was in my mind initially to join the Orthodox Church so I could go into a Catholic Church and take Communion. When my priest found out that I was also going to the Sophia church he told me I had to decide, that I couldn't keep going to and Orthodox Church while attending another church (and taking communion). When it came down to it, there was no question at all. It was the Orthodox Church for me. So I made the commitment and had my 2 children baptized ( my husband however has refused to join, although he visits on occasion). I of course got over my sneaky desire to use my Orthodox membership to gain admittance to a Catholic church, and I love the Church with such a passion that I actually took it to confession one time, where I was reassured that since the Church is Christ's Body, it was fine.

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 11:04 AM Hoonbaba said this in Post #7

Just a thought: Is it ok to become an Orthodox Christian for the sake of partaking in Catholic Communion?? Is that some how a sin?

-Jason

Why wouldn't you become Catholic if the reason was to partake in Communion?  Also, Orthodoxy may not permit their members to do so, but the Catholic Church permits Orthodox members to receive the Eucharist in a Catholic Church. 

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Today at 05:25 PM jukesk9 said this in Post #9

Why wouldn't you become Catholic if the reason was to partake in Communion?  
It was intended to be a hypothetical question.  Personally, if it were ok for Eastern Orthodox brethen to partake in Catholic Communion, I would do that, primarily because of all the anti-Catholic garbage I get.  I don't know of any anti-Orthodox bashing.  In other words, crossing the Tiber isn't all too exciting for me...in fact it's driving me crazy because of the implications of what will happen if I were to become Catholic (I'm not so concerned about all the criticism as I am with other matters like family issues, etc).

At least with Orthodoxy, converting isn't as painfully stressful.

-Jason

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I may get sticks and stones thrown at me, Hoon, but to me Orthodoxy and Catholicism are the same, save for a few minor issues (to me anyway). I have a great respect for the Eastern Churches. To me, the most important thing about being Catholic is the Eucharist, which the Orthodox share. So, I say if you really want to recieve the Most Blessed Sacrament and you will have less difficulty doing so as an Orthodox, I'll pray for your conversion.

I don't know of any anti-Orthodox bashing.

That's just because That Other Board really hasn't heard about the Orthodox much. ;)

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jukes,

I won't throw any sticks or stones at you. :) However, I'm going to disagree that Catholic and Orthodox are "the same" except for a few "small details". I'm not one much for debating, but I would say the Eastern ethos is of a much greater difference from the Western ethos, than most Western Christians realize. Roman Catholics in many ways actually have much more in common with Protestants than they do with the Orthodox, in the way they approach salvation, etc., that is, their fundmental assumptions are generally the same.

There's an article with an Orthodox perspective on Roman Catholicism at http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_carltonrome.htm I'll be the first to say that Carlton should tone it down a bit- he comes across as rather harsh. Nevertheless, his presentation is factually accurate.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

In Christ,
Katherine

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yesterday at 03:04 PM Anonykat said this in Post #14

Hi Jukes,

I won't throw any sticks or stones at you. :) However, I'm going to disagree that Catholic and Orthodox are "the same" except for a few "small details". I'm not one much for debating, but I would say the Eastern ethos is of a much greater difference from the Western ethos, than most Western Christians realize. Roman Catholics in many ways actually have much more in common with Protestants than they do with the Orthodox, in the way they approach salvation, etc., that is, their fundmental assumptions are generally the same.

There's an article with an Orthodox perspective on Roman Catholicism at http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/tca_carltonrome.htm I'll be the first to say that Carlton should tone it down a bit- he comes across as rather harsh. Nevertheless, his presentation is factually accurate.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

In Christ,
Katherine

I read your article and here's some nitpicking I'm going to do:

1.  Purgatory's not a place, rather, we believe it's a process of purification

2.  Paying money to stay out of Purgatory was a corrupt practice that was condemned by the Church

3.  The Virgin Mary has not nor will she ever be proclaimed Co-Redemptrix.  Although some use it as a title, it is not an Article of Faith and therefore the faithful aren't required to believe this

but anyway I've been on several Orthodox FAQ pages and I still stand by our similarities.  I guess the biggest thing is both of us have seven Sacraments, the most glorious of those being the Eucharist in which Jesus Christ is truly present.  But anyway, glad you're here and blessings to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jukesk9 said:
Why wouldn't you become Catholic if the reason was to partake in Communion?  Also, Orthodoxy may not permit their members to do so, but the Catholic Church permits Orthodox members to receive the Eucharist in a Catholic Church. 

My dearest joy in Christ: Christ is Risen!

While it is true that the Catholic Church will give Holy Communion to Orthodox Christians, if an Orthodox Christian partakes of communion in a non-Orthodox Church, he could be subjected to excommunication for three years. Is it worth the risk?

When I was Roman Catholic, I looked into receiving Holy Communion in the Orthodox Church. I was told that I must be chrismated (confirmed) first. During the time of my Orthodox catechumenate, I agreed to stay away from the Roman Catholic sacraments. It was hard not being able to receive the sacraments in either church, but I was glad when I was finally chrismated.

A couple of years ago, a devout Roman Catholic visited an Orthodox Church in Santa Barbara. She wanted to receive Holy Communion. She imitated the other communicants and approached the Holy Chalice. As she did so, suddenly fire leaped out of the chalice and she jumped backwards. The priest saw the fear in her eyes and asked her if she were Orthodox. She said "no". She was only allowed to kiss the chalice, which to her surprise was cool. Afterward, she told the priest about the fire which he didn't see. He told her that God is a Consuming Fire, instructed her for about 6 months and then chrismated her into the Orthodox Church. Miracles do happen in the Orthodox Church.

Incidentally, even though the Orthodox practice "closed" communion, an Orthodox priest told me that we don't know where the Holy Spirit is. God sees the heart. A person who is a Baptist and on fire with the Lord will probably/definitely be saved compared with an Orthodox Christian who only goes to Church on Pascha just to please his wife.

YSIC

Elizabeth :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.