Westcoast
✟28,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I read a funny line from Fr Seraphim Rose the other day in a letter to a new convert who said they were having trouble standing, "it seems the last thing to become Orthodox is ones legs."

This video was a nice overall video on bows, and when one should do them, when one is unable to do so.

Reactions: anna ~ grace

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,710.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
a good rule is to do what the parish does unless it's really wrong.
Yep. The canons say, I have been told, no prostrating on Sundays. (I’m open to correction on that)
But at my parish, we prostrate during the Eucharistic canon except on great holidays. Go figure.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yep. The canons say, I have been told, no prostrating on Sundays. (I’m open to correction on that)
But at my parish, we prostrate during the Eucharistic canon except on great holidays. Go figure.

yeah, no prostrating because of the Resurrection.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,383.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All I know is the First Ecumenical Council says no kneeling on Sundays. At our church the clergy and some in the congregation do it during the Anaphora, though.

Before this video, I'd never heard a prostration referred to as a "bow". Would kneeling and prostration be considered the same type of thing?

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟228,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Before this video, I'd never heard a prostration referred to as a "bow". Would kneeling and prostration be considered the same type of thing?

That's just a translation issue, because in Russian, a prostration is basically "a bow to the earth," and can often just be called the same word as "bow" and you try to figure out from context which they mean. In essence, the word Поклон is basically an inclination of the body - so bows and prostrations are both covered with that term.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that since most people don't or can't attend weekday liturgies, kneeling is done on Sundays except during the Paschal season.
I believe that is unique to the Greek Orthodox Church. That is also the explanation I have heard.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟135,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I'd say the legs are the last thing to become Orthodox! ^_^

a good rule is to do what the parish does unless it's really wrong.
Like St Ambrose of Milan said, "When in Rome do as the Romans do".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Greek parish near our church (Serbian) sits down during the liturgy multiple times, they have kneelers and kneel a bunch of times, and there’s an organ. Trips me out. Plus all the icons look like they’re from Venice because they’re painted by a Catholic.

Upvote 0