Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hyperdox automatons serial #'s 9572 through 10815, rally your arms! This human needs robotic canonical perspectives!
Umm… Wow, okay. Are you trying to say I'm hyperdox? I have difficulty even getting myself to church, thanks.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I didn't even know that was a thing that the EO church allows. I thought the partner at least had to be a Trinitarian Christian. (The only exception that I know to this is an old Russian professor I had whose wife was Jewish, but that was during the Soviet times when open adherence to Orthodoxy wasn't even possible anyway.)

Wow. That's wild. I hope you guys can help this person so that they don't make a hasty decision.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't even know that was a thing that the EO church allows. I thought the partner at least had to be a Trinitarian Christian. (The only exception that I know to this is an old Russian professor I had whose wife was Jewish, but that was during the Soviet times when open adherence to Orthodoxy wasn't even possible anyway.)

Wow. That's wild. I hope you guys can help this person so that they don't make a hasty decision.

yes, this is the teaching. folks have been excommunicated for marrying non-Christians. this guy she is seeing seems to be inquiring into Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know wasn't one of the things the Muslims really hated Daniel Sysoev for was that he wrote a book about why Orthodox shouldn't marry Muslims? I know he has a book that's been translated into English called Marriage to a Non-Christian. I don't know if it's the same book with a different title or not. But, it seems like he wouldn't have felt compelled to write such a book if it wasn't a problem.

I would tell her not to marry a non-Christian because my mother married a non-Christian, and I have watched her reap the fruit of that sin every day for 34 years now. Prior to marriage, my step-father claimed my mother's faith was one of the things he admired and respected about her. But, after they were married, he always contrived to keep my mother away from church. He would always choose Sunday morning to pick a huge fight. He always insisted Sunday morning had to be the morning for a big fancy breakfast. He will openly mock and curse the Christian God and stomp around the house yelling about "insert nasty word here Christians."

When I was single I briefly dated a guy who was raised but not practicing Jehova Witness. At first, he acted really interested in my church and my beliefs. Then, he decided it would be easier if I would convert to being a JW and was always giving me JW literature, but if I gave him any of our literature he would throw it in the trash. Once he tried to start an argument with e about what God's name is. I told him, "Just because I know my father's name is Bill doesn't mean I should go around calling him that. Jesus revealed God as a father to us, so I call him father, and would no more call him by his name than I would my earthly father by his name." That shut him up for awhile. When it became apparent that I wouldn't convert, he would try and stop me from going to church.

The man I dated before my husband was nominally a Christian, but never went to church. Even he was always trying to pressure me to not go to Church. Then, he wanted me to move in with him without being married. It's actually one of the main reasons we broke up. I kept saying that I require a license to play house.

Not speaking from a place of "hyperdoxy" - speaking from experience. It's a bad idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if she's Syrian...

To a point I can empathize. Long distances suck, and there are small pickings in this Orthodox world of ours, but I'm always VERY uneasy whenever I see anything along the lines of "Marriage or else".

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.