Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there any out there?

The first time I heard an english Liturgy I immediately thought of the old-timey lined-out singing in the backwoods churches. Everyone in my parish thinks I am nuts, but that is ok. ^_^

I'm not looking to have banjos and fiddles in the Liturgy, but merely something for my own musical enjoyment. I've been threatening to do it for 3 years now, but I swear one of these days I am going to get some folks together and do a hymn or two.

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your old Uncle Clem here...

Bluegrass finds its roots in Appalachian Mountain folk music with also finds its home in Scotch-Irish Protestantism. The lyrics are not necessarily "unOrthodox" and in fact, Orthodox Christianity would love the lyrics of some of the old time gospel bluegrass.

Not, the melodies do not find their origins in Greek or Slavic or Arabic homes....but is not our Orthodoxy transcendent of these ethnic homes?

My band was named (now we have seperated for many reasons) "Ploughshare" as in "they will beat their swords into ploughshares
(Isaiah). I was the only member of the band that was Orthodox, but all Christians. We sang music that I considered to be Orthodox for the most part where the Gospel is concerned.

Glory to God.

I am bandless at present.

Bluegrass is a fine music tradition that finds it roots in Christ's Gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Your old Uncle Clem here...

Bluegrass finds its roots in Appalachian Mountain folk music with also finds its home in Scotch-Irish Protestantism. The lyrics are not necessarily "unOrthodox" and in fact, Orthodox Christianity would love the lyrics of some of the old time gospel bluegrass.

Not, the melodies do not find their origins in Greek or Slavic or Arabic homes....but is not our Orthodoxy transcendent of these ethnic homes?

My band was named (now we have seperated for many reasons) "Ploughshare" as in "they will beat their swords into ploughshares
(Isaiah). I was the only member of the band that was Orthodox, but all Christians. We sang music that I considered to be Orthodox for the most part where the Gospel is concerned.

Glory to God.

I am bandless at present.

Bluegrass is a fine music tradition that finds it roots in Christ's Gospel.

My thoughts exactly. I've seen the cradles roll their eyes over stuff like this, but why should I try to be Greek or Russian when I have a rich culture of my own?

I don't really play anything(unless you count the piano and the dulcimer... but I do that poorly). I can remember "jam sessions" at my house and my grandparents' house when folks would sit around and play and sing for hours. I've been singing my whole life.

The music is in my blood (yep... that's me with my grandfather circa 1978):

banjo.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2011
Chicagoland, Illinois
✟8,077.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a "cradle" myself, as long as the music stays outside of the church itself, then I wouldn't really have any problem with it. I'm not a really big fan of bluegrass music in general, but that is simply a matter of taste, not theology. I also wouldn't want anyone playing a bouzouki in the church either, or trying to use any sort of instrument in the church. This Christmas our one priest decided to sing (and have us sing with him) some of the Greek kalanta (Christmas Carols) at the end of the service. I didn't really find that appropriate, personally. I'd like to keep the church itself reserved to chanting, not singing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As a "cradle" myself, as long as the music stays outside of the church itself, then I wouldn't really have any problem with it. I'm not a really big fan of bluegrass music in general, but that is simply a matter of taste, not theology. I also wouldn't want anyone playing a bouzouki in the church either, or trying to use any sort of instrument in the church. This Christmas our one priest decided to sing (and have us sing with him) some of the Greek kalanta at the end of the service. I didn't really find that appropriate, personally. I'd like to keep the church itself reserved to chanting, not singing.

That is fine. I wouldn't want it in Church either.

I was refering to folks who say things like "Now you are Greek" when you get Chrismated (happened to a friend of mine) or insist that you have to learn how to cook Russian food if you convert (happened to me). Greeks and Russians are awesome. I'm just not one of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can that be understood to be welcoming, inclusive, and an ATTEMPT to say, "you are one of us," no matter who the "us" is? I'm sick of people complaining that people who grew up in the faith are being rude when they're trying to be NICE. It might not be in the way YOU want, but their accepting you for who you are needs to come with you accepting them for who THEY are.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can that be understood to be welcoming, inclusive, and an ATTEMPT to say, "you are one of us," no matter who the "us" is? I'm sick of people complaining that people who grew up in the faith are being rude when they're trying to be NICE. It might not be in the way YOU want, but their accepting you for who you are needs to come with you accepting them for who THEY are.

Chill out. Sometimes they ARE just being rude.

This was a parish where I asked for someone to point me towards an English translation of the Liturgy and was told "learn Greek". I have been in a parish where it is made very clear that if you are not born a certain ethnicity... you aren't "really" Orthodox. I have been told that non-English Liturgies are "holier". I have been in 2 different parishes (different jurisdictions) where people openly criticised their priest because he wasn't "ethnic enough".

I will accept that for what it is. It is called phyletism.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And lots of times, they're not. It's not just you, Cobweb. I was raised going to various ethnic parishes, according to what was available nearby, and despite being 'cradle,' experienced phyletism too, as well as acquired an appreciation for traditions other than my own--it's not about being CRADLE, it's about whether or not the culture/ethnic group places a really strong emphasis on BEING whatever they are--the church is just lumped into whatever country they're from, same with the food, music, personality traits and other cultural norms.

But I've read several posts recently taking offense at how people are. So many people come in expecting the church (or the people) to change to fit THEIR needs. It don't work that way, so "chill out" and either learn to deal with the situation God places you in, or find someplace that is a better fit if it becomes a spiritual issue. People need to stop complaining when ethnics are welcoming them by welcoming them into their ethnicity--they're expressing cultural norms that we just don't have ingrained into us.

Chill out. Sometimes they ARE just being rude.

This was a parish where I asked for someone to point me towards an English translation of the Liturgy and was told "learn Greek". I have been in a parish where it is made very clear that if you are not born a certain ethnicity... you aren't "really" Orthodox. I have been told that non-English Liturgies are "holier". I have been in 2 different parishes (different jurisdictions) where people openly criticised their priest because he wasn't "ethnic enough".

I will accept that for what it is. It is called phyletism.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My thoughts exactly. I've seen the cradles roll their eyes over stuff like this, but why should I try to be Greek or Russian when I have a rich culture of my own?

I don't really play anything(unless you count the piano and the dulcimer... but I do that poorly). I can remember "jam sessions" at my house and my grandparents' house when folks would sit around and play and sing for hours. I've been singing my whole life.

The music is in my blood (yep... that's me with my grandfather circa 1978):

banjo.jpg

What kind of dulci do you have? I have a five string mountain dulci that was made in the traditional way...no metal screws..(the tuning pegs are wooden friction pegs).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What kind of dulci do you have? I have a five string mountain dulci that was made in the traditional way...no metal screws..(the tuning pegs are wooden friction pegs).

I haven't played one since I left home. Mom has a 5 string made out of cherry, but hers has metal pegs. She has a bow for it too, but I never quite got the hang of that. I like the mountain dulcimer best, but the hammer dulcimer is more fun to play with.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The issue is being expected to abandon one's own culture upon conversion in favor of something more traditionally "Orthodox". It shouldn't be that way.

No, though some parts of culture probably SHOULD be abandoned, and the discussion moved away from that when saying, "Now you're Greek" is listed as a horrible, rude action.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, though some parts of culture probably SHOULD be abandoned, and the discussion moved away from that when saying, "Now you're Greek" is listed as a horrible, rude action.

Whatever. You just don't get it. I'm done arguing with you.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I heard about an ancient Yorkshire Christmas carol from about the 9th c that was heard being sung by an old woman in appalachia in the 21st c. & had been totally forgotten in Britain and that some of the American mountain folk kept the old calendar Christmas until the early 20th c (which included singing ancient carols, perhaps a few others pre 1054?).

Upvote 0