Orthodox Bishops Gives Invocation at Democratic Convention

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Metropolitan Nicholas of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Detroit, gave the opening invocation at the Democratic National Convention last night.

He began, “O God, assist us to set aside personal differences, so that our unity of purpose will rise above us all as an enduring symbol of freedom.”

His three-minute invocation referenced Biblical figures Abraham and Sarah, Detroit, Native Americans, immigrants, the poor, and others in a call for peace and healing.

“Let freedom reign in our hearts so that we would…never fear to give shelter to the homeless and displaced, never fear to treat our neighbor as ourselves, and never fear to give dignity and opportunity — as in Detroit and elsewhere in America — to the struggling unemployed and less fortunate.”

In his remarks, Nicholas said God “brought us here from every place on earth (so) that Native Americans and immigrant Americans, people of color and of every tongue, might find not just hope, but a land which seeks life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

bilde

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Republican operatives are panicking everywhere across America scrambling to try to explain how "we GOP still have the corner on God! He's our God, not the God of the liberals! This Orthodox guy is an imposter! Don't believe a word, we're God's party....trust us!" ^_^

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Metropolitan Nicholas of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Detroit, gave the opening invocation at the Democratic National Convention last night.

He began, “O God, assist us to set aside personal differences, so that our unity of purpose will rise above us all as an enduring symbol of freedom.”

His three-minute invocation referenced Biblical figures Abraham and Sarah, Detroit, Native Americans, immigrants, the poor, and others in a call for peace and healing.

“Let freedom reign in our hearts so that we would…never fear to give shelter to the homeless and displaced, never fear to treat our neighbor as ourselves, and never fear to give dignity and opportunity — as in Detroit and elsewhere in America — to the struggling unemployed and less fortunate.”

In his remarks, Nicholas said God “brought us here from every place on earth (so) that Native Americans and immigrant Americans, people of color and of every tongue, might find not just hope, but a land which seeks life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

bilde

Way to represent for the Lord, Orthodox faith and keeping the main thing the main thing. As much as people in far right parties often act as if only GOP advocates know the Lord or are for him, it's moments like the ones you noted that always make me chuckle when people go past the stereotype-----and I'm interested to see how many will either listen to the man and be interested in him representing for what he believers....or choose to villify/demean him, especially as it concerns people (potentially) in Protestant/Evangelical circles already a bit suspicious of anything deemed "Orthodox" because it doesn't line up with the traditional camps they know of (i.e Protestant, Catholic, Anglican, etc).

Good to see other Orthodox engaged in the political spectrum/being involved. I know the "Democrats for Life" groups will give him support as will others:)

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green

bilde

That's awesome, does anyone have a recording?

http://www.goarch.org/news/met-nicholas DNC-09042012

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Republican operatives are panicking everywhere across America scrambling to try to explain how "we GOP still have the corner on God! He's our God, not the God of the liberals! This Orthodox guy is an imposter! Don't believe a word, we're God's party....trust us!" ^_^

they were, until the Dems voted to remove God from the convention.....til they voted to use His name again......oh politicians.

Upvote 0

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

How so, the GOP had Metropolitan Methodios give the bendiction. Seems more like tit for tat to me...:confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How so, the GOP had Metropolitan Methodios give the bendiction. Seems more like tit for tat to me...:confused:

Dang! I know it is hypocritical and childish of me seeing how I say I am uncomortable when politicians bring up God or religion and I preach seperation of Church and state, but I thought we had one up on the GOP until I read your post.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll never claim the Dems have the corner on God, that's a GOP strategy. What I'm saying is that the GOP must be thrown for a loop that the other party has faith as well. People will undoubtedly speculate that it was a tit-for-tat conspiracy to "out-religion" the Republicans. Personally, I think the Democrats are just plain tired of having a "you're on your own" party that panders to the upper class 1%, warmongering elite bunch telling them that they're irreligious. They're tired of it, so am I. I'm glad that God figured prominently in the speeches tonight and this week.

President Clinton's speech, imho, was the greatest speech of the last decade. I was thoroughly impressed. Takes me back to my high school days in 1991 and 1992 when I was an intern volunteer at his campaign headquarters here in town....:cool:

Reactions: gracefullamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gracefullamb

Apr 2, 2006
✟17,278.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't mean to sound like a brat but I am guessing you all don't watch the conventions of either party or don't pay close attention if you do watch. Archbishop Demitrios has prayed at the 2000, 2004, & 2008 GOP and Democratic convention. He was supposed to speak again this year, at both conventions, but travel to the Ecumenicial Patriarch conflicted with both conventions. His Eminence has also attended the Presidential inauguration for 2000, 2004, & 2008, and he'll probably be at this coming inauguration too. Both parties invite the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America to pray at their convention.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gotta say, I'm sensing the brat thing...^_^:p kidding of course...well, kinda! :sorry:

Some of us watch the conventions but not EVERY SINGLE SECOND of them from gavel to gavel. I didn't watch the first night at all...too busy. I watched most of tonight, but only the last few hours. I watched Clinton hammer the GOP...amazing speech. But I don't usually see which cleric opens these conventions. It could be an ayatollah or the dalai lama for all I know! :p

I don't mean to sound like a brat but I am guessing you all don't watch the conventions of either party or don't pay close attention if you do watch. Archbishop Demitrios has prayed at the 2000, 2004, & 2008 GOP and Democratic convention. He was supposed to speak again this year, at both conventions, but travel to the Ecumenicial Patriarch conflicted with both conventions. His Eminence has also attended the Presidential inauguration for 2000, 2004, & 2008, and he'll probably be at this coming inauguration too. Both parties invite the Primate of the Greek Orthodox Church in America to pray at their convention.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My own feeling, as an Orthodox non-partisan in party politics, was that there wasn't anything particularly Orthodox about the prayer. My objection is that I saw nothing that could inspire people to move an inch toward God. Certainly, as words, the words were good. Not fearing to love our neighbor and so on are fine things, being part of things central to what we teach. But I do not see how anything could be taken by people outside the Church as either anything to make them curious about the Church or Who we are all called to; the words were well in the comfort zone of what all will say to themselves in both/all parties that they already stand for those things.

It IS good that there still IS an invocation, that at least the shred of tradition that reminds some of us that we ought to invoke God remains. But it seems to me that words that said some of those things should be accompanied by words that challenge the heart. Forget the politics. We are called to witness; there is a major opportunity, which must be used wisely, of course, and I feel that opportunity wasn't really used.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also gotta say that I don't see how the GOP claims some pseudo monopoly on God, especially since Jimmy Carter was the first president to claim to be born again, and was a deacon throughout his presidency, and every Democrat president has quoted scripture and invoked God in their inauguration. in fact, it was a lot of the more main stream Republicans who knocked down the silly claims that Obama is a Muslim.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I also gotta say that I don't see how the GOP claims some pseudo monopoly on God, especially since Jimmy Carter was the first president to claim to be born again, and was a deacon throughout his presidency, and every Democrat president has quoted scripture and invoked God in their inauguration. in fact, it was a lot of the more main stream Republicans who knocked down the silly claims that Obama is a Muslim.

Still wondering why people kept claiming the President was a Muslim and yet those same people keep quiet on Romney being a Mormon--with all talk of "Christian values" going out the window the moment someone seems to be the most prominent option of the camp they defend.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);61339974 said:
Still wondering why people kept claiming the President was a Muslim and yet those same people keep quiet on Romney being a Mormon--with all talk of "Christian values" going out the window the moment someone seems to be the most prominent option of the camp they defend.

I get the impression, those are the people who want insult his racial make up, but realize they will have to settle for trying to brand him a Muslim.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);61339974 said:

because Muslim is a buzz word, his father is a Muslim, and his middle name is Hussein. it's an easy straw man.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My own feeling, as an Orthodox non-partisan in party politics, was that there wasn't anything particularly Orthodox about the prayer. My objection is that I saw nothing that could inspire people to move an inch toward God. Certainly, as words, the words were good. Not fearing to love our neighbor and so on are fine things, being part of things central to what we teach. But I do not see how anything could be taken by people outside the Church as either anything to make them curious about the Church or Who we are all called to; the words were well in the comfort zone of what all will say to themselves in both/all parties that they already stand for those things.

It IS good that there still IS an invocation, that at least the shred of tradition that reminds some of us that we ought to invoke God remains. But it seems to me that words that said some of those things should be accompanied by words that challenge the heart. Forget the politics. We are called to witness; there is a major opportunity, which must be used wisely, of course, and I feel that opportunity wasn't really used.

Does that make sense to anyone?

I understand what you're saying rus. I thought that too at first. Ultimately, however, I think if there had been more explicit Orthodoxy in the prayer it wouldn't have been allowed at all and so even the chance of having a bishop appear on the screen at all would've been lost. A tiny step in the right direction is still a step in the right direction. In this post-Christian culture we have to grasp at what we can and work with where people are in order to bring them closer to God. It's going to be slower than we could've done back when morality, truth, and faith meant something to the majority of people, but that's the reality of the situation.

Upvote 0