Orthodox Beleivers in Y'shua

iitb

a.k.a. insaneinthebrain
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟17,935.00
Faith
Judaism
I'm actually considering attending a non-messianic synagogue at the moment. The group I'm involved with live about 35 miles from me, and all of the closer MJ congregations are a little too "protestant christian" for me(I'm not condemning them in any way, that's just not for me).

However, I'm curious as to how I'd be accepted. I live in a town that serves as home to 150 christian organizations, so I'm sure that the 4 synagogues here have to deal with over-zealous evangelical types on a regular basis. It wouldn't suprise me, based on those circumstances, if they weren't too open to non-jews.

At the very least, I want to visit the local Chabad-Lubavitch Center. I wouldn't mind dancing a little ;)

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
This doesn't apply to me all that much; however, it does enough to challenge me to answer.(even though it has mainly been answered, already)

The reasons I now go to a non-messianic conservative synagogue:
-When I first went and talk to the Rabbi, to tell you the truth I pretty much thought I would be thrown out, yet when I actually explain: I am a gentile who does not want to covert, believes Yehsua as messiah (yet that the messiah will return to usher in the messianic age[with a more Jewish concept]),want to follow G-d’s commandments, how I think Yehsua worship has become idolism is many cases, and may felling on salvation, and some other topics. I was surprise to see that he actually supported me, and invited me to come every Shabbat and to become a member of the community.

Actually over all I think I was more welcomed by them then by most messianic and Christians, sure they give me a hard time now and again about Yehsua(some really harshly), and about not converting, but overall they support me, to a further extent then the messianic or Christians ever did. Hence they are fulfilling a need that just wasn’t being met anywhere else.

-We have two messianic congregations where I live, and frankly I felt quite uncomfortable at both; one they have all these as I see it, crazy mixed up traditions which interfere with the learning(1/2 Christian angelical church, ½ reformed Judaism worship[both i disagree with BTW]), and I have never much taken to any Jew calling there Shul a temple.

The second, was fine other then two things that made it unsuitable for me.The first,was they are orthodox (which can get over aggressive on me, too often) I have to slowly implement things, and I felt they put harsh pressure on me to do things before I understood them, or could properly understand their execution. Second, There was the fact that with only one rabbi and the followers just a small group; there was an extreme lack of difference of view,their one opinion fit all. Now at the conservative shul; there is lots to discuss and people always have great new insights, and I just can't grow very well in an environment with no diffrence of view.

-The teaching at the non-messianic on the torah is much more in-depth, and due to the variation in opinion and insight greater prespective is given to the understanding.

-G-d tell us in his torah to not worship any power (even that of him) above him as a whole, and too many times do I see Yehsua followers praising Yehsua (role so much), that in my option they are putting it above HaShem as a whole. Such I do not want to be part of.

There are of course some down sides to a non-messianic conservative synagogue, but over all I find it a better place to fulfill my needs, to learn about HaShem, to express myself as an individual within a context pleasing to G-d.

I do not keep silent about my belief in Yehsua, I am quick however to explain the context of that belief. So in that way I now this doesn’t really apply. And I certainly know I have an extra ordinary Jewish community where I live, I can tell because I have heard too many stories of harsh feeling towards believers.

Over all though, I plain out do like certian things about “Christian’ or for that matter “messianic” congregations(at least in my area), which drives me away:
-Putting Yehsua above HaShem as whole
-Adding distracting traditions v. traditions that help you grow
-Taking away from the torah
-Hostile to other beliefs
-Homogenous beliefs (as a congregation)

Just Messianic congregations:
-Many people adopting “being Jewish” over “being for G-d”
(it still exists in non-messianic but it is a real bother to me, and at the messianic cong. the smaller attendance makes it seem incresed)
-teaching “Jewish roots” over the torah
-One way teachings
-cliquey

I know as a whole the community is great, and I would love to come together with them, but for now it seems that is not possible.(anotehr reason why I love here so much :) )

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
justinhulsey said:
I'm actually considering attending a non-messianic synagogue at the moment. The group I'm involved with live about 35 miles from me, and all of the closer MJ congregations are a little too "protestant christian" for me(I'm not condemning them in any way, that's just not for me).

However, I'm curious as to how I'd be accepted. I live in a town that serves as home to 150 christian organizations, so I'm sure that the 4 synagogues here have to deal with over-zealous evangelical types on a regular basis. It wouldn't suprise me, based on those circumstances, if they weren't too open to non-jews.

At the very least, I want to visit the local Chabad-Lubavitch Center. I wouldn't mind dancing a little ;)

I attend a conservative non-messianic synagogue and have had no problems at all. I would love to attend an orthodox synagogue, but there are simply none in my area and I wouldn't be able to afford to live in the area of the ones I know of.

I like where I go because I get great in-depth teaching and discussion on the Torah. I don't have to deal with whether something is done too 'churchy' or if people are 'playing Jewish'. I attended a messianic place for a while, but there were just so many distractions that the Torah kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Where I attend, the rabbi and the cantor know of my beliefs and accept me wholeheartedly. The rest of the congregation are very welcome and loving. The ladies take great pleasure in talking to me and they are delighted that I want to follow mitzvot, even though I am not "obliged" to. They often don't understand, but they never give me a hard time about it.

You could give it a try, see how you like, etc.

Upvote 0

iitb

a.k.a. insaneinthebrain
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟17,935.00
Faith
Judaism
There really isn't much here, either. Two reform, one conservative(with ties to reform...and a female Rabbi :scratch: ), and a Chabad-Lubavitch center.

I emailed the Rabbi at the Chabad center to see if they offered any Hebrew classes, he asked if I was Jewish, I told him "no," and now I'm waiting for a response. I figure I'll start with a Hebrew class and go from there. :)

simchat_torah said:
Pretty much everyone and their mother who's on CF knows I attend a non-messianic synagogue as well. ;)

Wait, Justin... does your mom know or should I call her?
Only if you don't tell her I'm considering a non-messianic synagogue. No reason to kill the poor lady. ;)

Upvote 0

Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
The Chabad in particular the Lubavitcher are the most welcoming of all Jewish denominations, and the most fun too. I hope you know how to do the Hora Justin?

They are famous for being very welcome, to even gentiles to join. As long as you dont mind the seperate seating from females etc, but they usually have alot of plants and stuff and its pleasent.

I attend a non MJ synagogue because I just see myself as a Jew who accepts the Jewish messiah, I do not put him before HaShem nor believe he is anything else other than what the Jewish people, and they are all right with the fact I accept Yeshua as the messiah. In fact they would be more supportive of my viewpoints than a Messianic Synagogue.
Actually last moths edition of Israel Today had an article asking why alot of Jewish believers in Yeshua attended Orthodox Shuls instead of Messianic Congregations. One man said a very interesting answer "I moved here two years ago and wanted to be part with the Jewish people, to learn with them and pray with them. Modern Messianic Judaism still takes too much from christian theology, yet all my friends in Shul know I believe Yeshua is the messiah and they dont mind."

Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~

Upvote 0

sojeru

just a Jew
Mar 22, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟1,145.00
Faith
Judaism
Just know this about the Orthodox... they accept EVERYONE...but not every one can practice as a Jew...so they put attention to Jews more than they ever would a Gentile.
However, they will greatly focus on a Gentile that wishes to convert (a ger toshav)- however, for the average goy who is a Noachide- he has a place in the kingdom- however cannot Practice any Me'od (ot-sign/festival, including the sabbath) because this was given to the Jews.

well, thats Orthodoxy-- so if any of you want to observe with the Orthodox yet are not converted, this is something to think about.
Maybe think about the other branches of Judaism like the Reform, reconstructionists or the Conservative... But as long as a Noachide recognizes the authority of the rabbis their ok- says Orthodox Judaism

shalom u'Bracha

Upvote 0

Hix

Zionist Jew
Dec 29, 2003
✟17,284.00
Faith
Judaism
Politics
UK-Conservative
Thats true, gentiles are forbidden to fully keep Shabbat and some festivles, same gos for B'nei Noach. If you can find a conservative synagogue that encourages Torah observance and is closer to Orthodox than Reform then that would be good also. However a great deal of the average Goy do attend my synagogue and others for learning and are very welcome, and unlike christianity, are not under any strain to have to convert/be proselytised at! Baruch haShem!

Shalom and G-d bless
~Hix~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iitb

a.k.a. insaneinthebrain
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟17,935.00
Faith
Judaism
Well, it's definitely something I'd want to ease into. I'm still waiting for a response on the Hebrew class, and I'm not going to pursue this any further until I hear about that.

I'm really not sure about attending a reform Synagogue. Honestly, it strikes me as a branch of Judaism that just picks and chooses which mitzvot should be obeyed. I really don't agree with that.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
justinhulsey said:
Well, it's definitely something I'd want to ease into. I'm still waiting for a response on the Hebrew class, and I'm not going to pursue this any further until I hear about that.

I'm really not sure about attending a reform Synagogue. Honestly, it strikes me as a branch of Judaism that just picks and chooses which mitzvot should be obeyed. I really don't agree with that.
You de' man!! Kewl - and wisdom flowers in your garden

Upvote 0

BenTsion

Yeshua Worshipper
Nov 20, 2003
✟7,869.00
Faith
Messianic
I think the only real 'disadvantage' of attending a non-messianic synagogue lies on the fact that we need the support of a group of believers in Mashiach (it does make a difference, in my opinion). If one is somehow a part of a group of believers (which will support him/her through prayer and will help them to grow in their relationship with Mashiach), and attends a non-messianic synagogue, then I'd say go for it. However, I would be strongly opposed to it if the non-messianic synagogue were the ONLY religious group (either formal or casual) the person were a part of, unless we're talking about someone who's quite spiritually mature. Otherwise, they might drop their faith in Mashiach which is quite dangerous. Mind you, belivers in the first century did attend synagogues but also gathered together whenever they could.

Personally, if I hadn't found a nice MJ congregation, I'd probably attend a non-messianic synagogue on the shabbat (basically for learning from the Torah) and a presby church on Sundays (though, to be honest with you, I find it harder and harder to attend Christian churches these days - it's hard not to be critical about... well... pretty much everything they say and do... LOL)

Then again, this is all just my humble two cents. ;-)

In Messiah,
Ben Tsion

Upvote 0