abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From GoArch.org:

The possible exception to the above affirmation of continuity of teaching is the view of the Orthodox Church on the issue of contraception. Because of the lack of a full understanding of the implications of the biology of reproduction, earlier writers tended to identify abortion with contraception. However, of late a new view has taken hold among Orthodox writers and thinkers on this topic, which permits the use of certain contraceptive practices within marriage for the purpose of spacing children, enhancing the expression of marital love, and protecting health.

Is this an admission that modern Orthodoxy has abandoned a historical teaching of the Church? Thank you so much for your insight.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
no, because we are still anti-abortion. since there are nowadays non-abortive contraception, a couple can be given a blessing from their confessor if they might need it. but that must be temporary, case by case, and rare. one of the reasons for sex within marriage is to create life.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So simply give me your opinion, you won't offend me. If my wife and I delay having children for a few years for career reasons (we are trying to afford a house because her mother has no means of support other than us), are we being unfaithful in your judgment?

Also, on a completely different note, do you know how the eastern fathers viewed the sin of Onan?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
So simply give me your opinion, you won't offend me. If my wife and I delay having children for a few years for career reasons (we are trying to afford a house because her mother has no means of support other than us), are we being unfaithful in your judgment?

That's a very private thing that is between you, your priest or spiritual father, and God.

Just be careful of trying to live an unreasonably disciplined life, because this can lead to a self-centered and rigid spirituality (familiarity with Augustine is good to understand this sort of danger). A good priest will understand that real life is messy and we can rarely live out our ideals, a bad priest will not.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

if your intent is eventually for children, and your confessor says yes, then no, you are not being unfaithful. the biggie is that you bring this up between you, your spouse, and your priest.

Also, on a completely different note, do you know how the eastern fathers viewed the sin of Onan?

nope, can't say that I do

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There also are times where it may be safer medically to wait to have children (temporarily), if for example, a medicine needs to be worked out for safety of the child, or if a medical treatment could cause damage. This would only be a temporary delay with non-abortive methods, and again would be with the consultation and guidance of the priest.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The hardest part of just starting in Orthodoxy is having not spiritual oversight. My spiritual guidance is all from Protestants, so I hope when being catechized we are able to start asking these questions and getting advice and prayers.
I ended up attending catechism classes right when I started visiting, even before I became a catechumen. The classes were open to anyone. It helps a lot to have a way to ask questions. We are always happy to help as much as we can here though:)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The hardest part of just starting in Orthodoxy is having not spiritual oversight. My spiritual guidance is all from Protestants, so I hope when being catechized we are able to start asking these questions and getting advice and prayers.

that is usually how it is geared for those that are coming from a Protestant or Roman background. I was in catechism classes from before I was a catechumen even to now.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bessie

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2007
Colorado
✟44,688.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I didn't have any classes, but I did have access to the priest. I emailed him questions and asked him when I saw him. He was always happy to take the time to talk to me about stuff. I know you just attended your first liturgy, I'm sure the priest at that church would be willing to chat with you about your questions as well.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My two cents - I think that, like the rest of the modern world modern Orthodox thinkers often tend to engage, unintentionally, in what CS Lewis called "chronological snobbery" in regards to the Church fathers, as if their general consensus was "good enough for the ancient world and what they knew" but "now we know more and have new technologies, so what they said isn't really relevant anymore". In short, a great many of our leaders, clergy and theologians have moved away from the fathers, and are, in the West, slowly leading us to line up with the world as the non-Orthodox Christian confessions have on the whole long since done. Nowhere is this more evident to me than in marriage and sexuality. We are now infected by the thinking of the world when we enter the Church, seek economia, be the issue divorce or "birth control" (a euphemism, which means a lie), agree that it should be rare, and then it becomes, if not the general rule, at least extraordinarily common and not in the least rare.

The entire Christian world, not just the Orthodox, opposed contraception until 1930. That ought to tell you something. Contraception existed in the ancient world; I would just ask Jackstraw for the barrage of a couple dozen quotes from the fathers on the issue. His knowledge of the fathers puts me to shame.

My own focus is on kicking our approval of divorce, but I guess I can turn my guns on contraception.

Reactions: abacabb3
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is worth adding that most of the Fathers were disapproving specifically of abortion, though not exclusively (Athenagoras for example rejected marital sex for pleasure, which to me is incredibly unbiblical. But he was not alone, see Augustine for example.) So, the question would be whether birth control which is not abortive in nature and the intent is not selfish is sinful. Athenagoras would say yes obviously. But, when we have this criteria, that large witness of the fathers becomes less than large.

My two cents - I think that, like the rest of the modern world modern Orthodox thinkers often tend to engage, unintentionally, in what CS Lewis called "chronological snobbery" in regards to the Church fathers, as if their general consensus was "good enough for the ancient world and what they knew" but "now we know more and have new technologies, so what they said isn't really relevant anymore". In short, a great many of our leaders, clergy and theologians have moved away from the fathers, and are, in the West, slowly leading us to line up with the world as the non-Orthodox Christian confessions have on the whole long since done. Nowhere is this more evident to me than in marriage and sexuality. We are now infected by the thinking of the world when we enter the Church, seek economia, be the issue divorce or "birth control" (a euphemism, which means a lie), agree that it should be rare, and then it becomes, if not the general rule, at least extraordinarily common and not in the least rare.

The entire Christian world, not just the Orthodox, opposed contraception until 1930. That ought to tell you something. Contraception existed in the ancient world; I would just ask Jackstraw for the barrage of a couple dozen quotes from the fathers on the issue. His knowledge of the fathers puts me to shame.

My own focus is on kicking our approval of divorce, but I guess I can turn my guns on contraception.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the idea of contraception encourages the idea of separating sex from procreation if not intentionally than unintentionally. If it is allowed as a concession it will undoubtedly shape the way married Orthodox look at their marriages and what it is for. Are children less important than careers or our free time? Do we really when we say we don't want children do it so as to build up our careers so as to provide for our family? Or is because we don't want to be burdened with that responsibility that would inevitably lead to some sleepless nights, stress and a lack of free time to spend on our entertainments.

I would ultimately agree with those who say its between the couple and their confessor, they have to work it out for themselves.

Instead of attacking the people who go with contraception perhaps it might help to encourage a culture where we know the proper point and purpose of marriage within our walk. Pleasure, procreation and unity.

Upvote 0