Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From his FB page:
PRAYERS REQUESTED

Abbot Tryphon of the All-Merciful Saviour Monastery was attacked while pumping gas at a Burien, WA gas station just less than an hour ago. A random man came over, and sucker punched Abbot Tryphon in the face, knocking him to the ground. They had to wait for paramedics, and a sheriff came and took his report. Fr. Tryphon was with Fr. Martin of the monastery, and they were out running errands. Fr. Martin was in the vehicle when the attack occurred. They are both shaken up by the incident, and at this time, Fr. Tryphon’s hearing has been affected.

Please pray for Abbot Tryphon and especially that there is no permanent damage. The police are looking for the attacker.

Archpriest Basil Rhodes

Live interview at 1pm Central
Live Call-in | Ancient Faith Ministries

AbbottTryphon.jpg

second update:

Orthodox Christianity website link to story with news video
Police looking for suspect who attacked Abbot Tryphon (+ VIDEO)

Last edited:

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I'm wondering what the motivation must have been. I have a feeling it was some guy who mistook him for a Catholic priest and is angry about...umm...certain scandals. It happens unfortunately since most Americans are unaware Orthodoxy even exists.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From his FB page:
PRAYERS REQUESTED

Abbot Tryphon of the All-Merciful Saviour Monastery was attacked while pumping gas at a Burien, WA gas station just less than an hour ago. A random man came over, and sucker punched Abbot Tryphon in the face, knocking him to the ground. They had to wait for paramedics, and a sheriff came and took his report. Fr. Tryphon was with Fr. Martin of the monastery, and they were out running errands. Fr. Martin was in the vehicle when the attack occurred. They are both shaken up by the incident, and at this time, Fr. Tryphon’s hearing has been affected.

Please pray for Abbot Tryphon and especially that there is no permanent damage. The police are looking for the attacker.

Archpriest Basil Rhodes

Lord have mercy.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From his FB page:
PRAYERS REQUESTED

Archpriest Basil Rhodes

How absolutely horrible. I pray for his swift recovery. Lord have mercy.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering what the motivation must have been. I have a feeling it was some guy who mistook him for a Catholic priest and is angry about...umm...certain scandals. It happens unfortunately since most Americans are unaware Orthodoxy even exists.
Unfortunately for literally everyone, this seems quite likely.

• Agree
Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

It could just be a general xenophobic sentiment. It has happened before, unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm glad he's doing well enough for an interview. That's good news.
That was my thought as well, the hearing issue must have subsided otherwise an interview would be difficult.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
An Update from the Old Monk

I should be filled with rage against a brute who could perpetrate such an unwarranted attack against me, especially since I'd smiled at him, just prior to the sucker punch. In my mind I assumed he was approaching me with a request for money, or wanting to know what I was. Since I try, with God's help, to be kind to everyone, even trying to bring a smile on a strangers face by saying something self-effacing in an attempt to put them at ease, I was totally caught off guard by what he did to me.

Instead, I find myself filled with compassion and love for the poor tortured soul who was driven to commit such a heinous act. That a young man would sucker punch an obviously old man, and a stranger to him, is truly hard for me to comprehend. Even more, I am praying for my attacker. The reason is this: Although I am imperfect, and a terrible sinner, I am graced to live a fulfilling and fruitful life, assured of God's love for me and surrounded by people who love me also. Not so the man who sucker punched me. His pointless act suggests someone filled with loathing for those around him and even more for himself. What inner torment could cause him to lash out at someone who has done him no harm? He is his own victim even more than I am his victim. I know I have forgiven him, but can he forgive himself ? My prayer for him is that he can find the courage to ask God to forgive him.

Meanwhile, I covet your prayers. I have been left with a certain amount of hearing loss, with a ringing in my left ear and reduced hearing in my right ear, along with an echoing sound. As a lover of classical music, I pray this will not be permanent. I'm also suffering from headaches, and general body pain. So, in your charity, please keep this old monk in your holy prayers.

To the countless people, including three metropolitans, two archbishops, many bishops, and a holy abbess, who have reached out to me, I am humbled by your love and caring hearts, and thank you all from the bottom of my heart. And, as strange as it may sound to some, I am grateful that I was blessed to share in Christ's suffering and abuse, during these final days of the Great Lenten Journey.

I just heard from a Seattle television station that the King County Sheriff Department is trying to get the surveillance video from the gas station so they can air it publicly, with the hope someone will recognize the man. I want him caught, not only that he not injure another person, but that I can have a chance to visit him in jail, and let him know that I forgive him, and that God loves him.

With love in Christ,
Abbot Tryphon

Upvote 0

Orthodoxjay1

Sep 21, 2015
✟58,504.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lord have mercy, I'm afraid, due to the Sex Abuse scandal (primalrly from celibate Catholic priests), we will see waves of anti-Clericalism similar to the French Revolution or the Reformation, our priests. Sadly can get confused for Roman Catholics, maybe all the jurisdictions should follow ROCOR and allow civilian clothing for priests outside of church. This is a sad situation, Abbot Tryphon is so humble.

Upvote 0