Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Oh - well I did not know that. Thank you!
During catechism we were told that some were, or were trying, to take it to those outside the church. As in; not consuming all of it, then physically carrying the remaining part of the Eucharist out of the church to give to others.
Another item to overcome was that in large parishes, the chalice would be quite large and difficult to handle.
I'm not challenging what Fr Matt said, merely adding more reasons why the custom changed to the spoon.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
people would make the Eucharist into talismans, do experiments on it, etc.

I’m in no way condoning that, just curious as to whether you know what their thought process was behind it?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m in no way condoning that, just curious as to whether you know what their thought process was behind it?

i.e., if it's the Body of Christ, and I plant it in my garden, I should get fresh and healthy crops...

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
people would make the Eucharist into talismans, do experiments on it, etc.
I’ve heard it also was due to a practical reason of crumbs being dropped by people as well - and with the size and extent of some parishes, it allowed the Eucharist to be portioned appropriately.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’ve heard it also was due to a practical reason of crumbs being dropped by people as well - and with the size and extent of some parishes, it allowed the Eucharist to be portioned appropriately.

that does make sense.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i.e., if it's the Body of Christ, and I plant it in my garden, I should get fresh and healthy crops...

Ah I see. I can kind of understand why they wanted to try weird things with it now, even if it’s not appropriate.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah I see. I can kind of understand why they wanted to try weird things with it now, even if it’s not appropriate.

yep, that's why the Orthodox guard it by spooning it to the faithful.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s sad that they need to, but totally understandable why they need to protect it.
To be honest, today I don’t see that happening, but the practical reason I mentioned above certainly remains...and we tend to not change things if there isn’t a good reason to do so. Also, the practice now has spiritual significance also assigned to it, along with prayers during the preparation, etc. Many liturgical practices have both a spiritual and practical reason for them.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s sad that they need to, but totally understandable why they need to protect it.

sure, but imagine accidentally dropping a crumb or a drop on the floor, and folks unknowingly walk on the Body and Blood.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
sure, but imagine accidentally dropping a crumb or a drop on the floor, and folks unknowingly walk on the Body and Blood.
Exactly. That’s why we have the cloth to wipe the mouth, the spoon to direct it into the mouth directly, the care taken with everything the Eucharist touched, etc.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. That’s why we have the cloth to wipe the mouth, the spoon to direct it into the mouth directly, the care taken with everything the Eucharist touched, etc.
We are even told not to greet anyone with a kiss after receiving - I actually changed my direction of leaving the Church after being told that since there was a dear lady who would often kiss me when I walked past on one side.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We are even told not to greet anyone with a kiss after receiving - I actually changed my direction of leaving the Church after being told that since there was a dear lady who would often kiss me when I walked past on one side.
yep. During catechism (again), we were told, "you will sometimes see someone receive communion then immediately, before going back to their seat, stop and venerate one of the icons up front. Don't do that."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

and if you wanna be really careful, don't even speak until you have had some antidoron.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yep. During catechism (again), we were told, "you will sometimes see someone receive communion then immediately, before going back to their seat, stop and venerate one of the icons up front. Don't do that."
Yes we were told right up front not to venerate icons after. I guess our parish has been taught, no one does that. But you did sometimes see people greet each other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and if you wanna be really careful, don't even speak until you have had some antidoron.
Good point. I'm usually on the chant stand so I try to quickly get antidoron and a sip of water. Too much hurry at times like that.

When I can, I prefer to go and quietly pray the prayers of thanksgiving, but it's very rare for me to have that opportunity anymore.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good point. I'm usually on the chant stand so I try to quickly get antidoron and a sip of water. Too much hurry at times like that.

When I can, I prefer to go and quietly pray the prayers of thanksgiving, but it's very rare for me to have that opportunity anymore.

yeah, I was told that once to take antidoron by senior priest when I was asked to preach during clergy communion, just to make sure I consumed all of it before speaking.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0