Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I think I've come to the unfortunate realization that the EO Church has not preserved the original doctrine of the Apostles in it's entirety (probably the closest to what the Apostles taught than any other Church), because for a while I've noticed that there seem to be some clear contradictions from what the Church today teaches and what the Church of eons ago taught.

I've decided to start a bunch of posts with the topic "OrthoCliches" - because it seems to me that I have heard the same talking points parroted over and over and over again - which are just claimed with an appeal to "the Ancient" Church authority rather than any substantive evidence - and I want to show how there is substantive evidence against these claims. And I wanted to discuss this.

The topic of this post will be "Ancestral Sin."

There's a few "cliches" on this topic that I hear parroted repeatedly.

1. Saint Augustine was not well known in the East; he was a radical who was popularized in the sphere of Rome.

1a. He was declared a Church Father in the 5th Ecumenical Council - a strictly Eastern Council - and he was named an illustrious doctor in the 6th Ecumenical Council. More than this is point 3. If he wasn't well known, why would he be declared a Church Father in the 5th Ecumenical Council, a Council which didn't even have a Papal legate?

2. Saint Augustine had a faulty translation of the "by one man sin entered the world" verse, not knowing Greek and thus the original Greek text, knowing only the Vulgate Bible, and thus built an entire theology based on a mistranslation.

2a. Although it is certainly the case that Augustine didn't know Greek, the Council of Carthage specifically avoids the mistake and uses the correct Greek form of the verse in it's Canon which affirms Saint Augustine's theology (Canon 110: "For no otherwise can be understood what the Apostle says, 'By one man sin has come into the world, and death through sin, and so death passed upon all men in that all have sinned', than the Catholic Church everywhere diffused has always understood it. For on account of this rule of faith (regulam fidei) even infants, who could have committed as yet no sin themselves, therefore are truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that what in them is the result of generation may be cleansed by regeneration.")

3. The Council of Carthage that Saint Augustine presided over was a local council that has no binding on the Orthodox Church, and the Orthodox Church doesn't teach that the guilt of Original Sin is not inherited; only the consequences of the sin is inherited.

3a.
Canon 110 of the Council of Carthage says this:
"Likewise it seemed good that whosoever denies that infants newly from their mother's wombs should be baptized, or says that baptism is for remission of sins, but that they derive from Adam no original sin, which needs to be removed by the laver of regeneration, from whence the conclusion follows, that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins, is to be understood as false and not true, let him be anathema."

The canons of the Council of Carthage specifically was approved not only in the Quinisext Council - which the Orthodox see as Ecumenical - but also the 7th Ecumenical Council, which the Orthodox approve.

NPNF2-14. The Seven Ecumenical Councils - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Even Dr. Taylor Marshall, the famous Thomistic theologian who has gotten popular recently in Catholic circles, pointed this out in 2006.

https://taylormarshall.com/2006/02/must-eastern-orthodox-believe-in.html

Finally, the nail which is hit in the head is the fact that Saint Nicodemus of the Holy Mountain gave a commentary on this particular canon from the Rudder.

"
This view too was a product of the heretical insanity of the Pelagians: this refers to their saying that newly begotten infants are not baptized for the remission of sins, as the Orthodox Church believes and maintains, but, instead, if anyone say that they are baptized for the remission of sins, yet the infants themselves have not incurred any taint from the original (or primordial) sin of Adam, such as to require to be removed by means of baptism (since, as we have said, those men believed that this original sin is not begotten with the human being, simply because this was not any offense of nature, but a mischoice of the free and independent will). So the Council in the present Canon anathematizes the heretics who say this: First, because the form of the baptism for the remission of sins which is given to infants is not true according to them, but false and factitious, since, according to them, those infants have no sins to be pardoned. Secondly, because the Apostle in what he says makes it plain that sin entered the world through a single human being, namely, Adam, and that death entered through sin, and thus death passed into all human beings, since all of them have sinned just like Adam. This passage, I say, cannot be taken to mean anything else than what the catholic Church of the Orthodox has understood and believed it to mean, to wit, that even the newborn infants, notwithstanding the fact that they have not sinned by reason of any exercise of their own free and independent will, have nevertheless entailed upon themselves the original sin from Adam; wherefore they need to be purified through baptism necessarily from that sin: hence they are truly, and not fictitiously, being baptized for the remission of sins."

Some may argue "well, Carthage was simply disciplinary and not dogmatic, because after all, if we were to accept every canon of the 7th Ecumenical Council, we would have 2 canons of Scripture."

However, Carthage specifically anathematizes a specific doctrine, which by no means can be merely disciplinary. It talks about a doctrine, and thus makes it dogma.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How have the gates of hell not "prevailed" against the Church in the sense of heresy not prevailing against the Church due to the Energies of the Holy Spirit working in the Church, if the Church has changed dogma from what was declared in an Ecumenical Council?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Following ... I have no answer for you because I don't see what there is to disagree with (unless it is the use of the word "original" ... which isn't the problem in itself - we only reject it because of the meanings that tend to be attached to it - like "transubstantiation").

So I'm waiting to see what someone more educated than I will say. :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Could you point out the exact canon and wording? I don’t think one interpretation from a saint is infallible, but just linking to the entire council doesn’t help since there are a LOT of canons.

An interesting quote:

St. Athanasius of Alexandria
To man, however, a special grace was given beyond that of mere existence—that of being made after God’s Own Image. This grace was strengthened by placing him in Paradise, and giving him a law. Obedience to the law would ensure continuance in blessedness, and man would finally, by a deathless change, pass into the heavenly life: disobedience, on the other hand, would entail death and continuance in corruption. Man was disobedient, and in the first pair mankind as a whole became involved in guilt. The fact of universal sin witnesses to an original fall, for human nature in its entirety existed in Adam and Eve, and in them fell. Death, therefore, must be the penalty, or God’s word be broken: yet how monstrous for the creature’s sin to frustrate God’s purpose in creation! Sin, however, was not merely a debt due to God’s honour which might be forgiven on man’s repentance, or on worthy satisfaction (if such could be found) being made: it was a disease and corruption in the very nature of man. Death had become a context of human nature, and needed to be counteracted by the context of life. The Eternal Word of God, therefore, who had originally made man after God’s Image, came down, and, as Man, fulfilled the law of death, while, as God, He implanted in human nature an antidote to the corruption, and by His resurrection afforded the promise of the life eternal.[5]

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Canon 110 of the Council of Carthage of 418. I wrote it in my first post.
So basically it's about the anathema on anyone who says that baptism of infants is not for the remission of sins?

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here’s the Canon:

“Likewise it seemed good that whosoever denies that infants newly from their mother's wombs should be baptized, or says that baptism is for remission of sins, but that they derive from Adam no original sin, which needs to be removed by the laver of regeneration, from whence the conclusion follows, that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins, is to be understood as false and not true, let him be anathema.

For no otherwise can be understood what the Apostle says, By one man sinhas come into the world, and death through sin, and so death passed upon all men in that all have sinned, than the Catholic Church everywhere diffused has always understood it. For on account of this rule of faith (regulam fidei) even infants, who could have committed as yet no sin themselves, therefore are truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that what in them is the result of generation may be cleansed by regeneration.”

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are some fine nuances that distinguish original sin and ancestral sin (or that differ between Catholics and Orthodox). But I don't see anything in the canon that goes against Orthodox theology. Like I said, maybe someone more educated can reply. But if you're objecting strictly on the basis of the translation reading "original sin" instead of "ancestral sin" - that wouldn't be the point.

Infants ARE regenerated - everyone is born fallen and in need of salvation - because of the sin of Adam (though God may certainly perhaps have mercy on an infant who dies unbaptized - but mercy and salvation are always God's judgement and not ours).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here’s the Canon:

“Likewise it seemed good that whosoever denies that infants newly from their mother's wombs should be baptized, or says that baptism is for remission of sins, but that they derive from Adam no original sin, which needs to be removed by the laver of regeneration, from whence the conclusion follows, that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins, is to be understood as false and not true, let him be anathema.

For no otherwise can be understood what the Apostle says, By one man sinhas come into the world, and death through sin, and so death passed upon all men in that all have sinned, than the Catholic Church everywhere diffused has always understood it. For on account of this rule of faith (regulam fidei) even infants, who could have committed as yet no sin themselves, therefore are truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that what in them is the result of generation may be cleansed by regeneration.”

we don't dispute this point. we in fact, would agree with this totally. the issue is NOT that we don't inherit original sin from Adam, because sin (speaking broadly) means to miss the mark, and to die is to miss the mark. we will all die no matter what sins we commit, and we inherit that from Adam.

so I don't see the issue.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Original and Ancestral Sin are pretty much exactly the same doctrine. Just expressed with different terms and praises in two different languages Greek and Latin.

the Council of Trent says otherwise. please stop doing this.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Canon 110 of the Council of Carthage of 418. I wrote it in my first post.
The canon in the ecumenical council that approved all the canons of the council of Carthage, not the canon of Carthage.

Also, depending on how you read it, the canon can be understood from an Orthodox POV as well. We do teach that they need to be baptized for the remission of sin. Otherwise, why would they need to be baptized? We don’t under that “sin” to mean the same thing as the western view though.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We still have a fallen nature, but not in the sense of guilt or as defined by the Council of Trent or the more extreme points of Augustine. Our “nous” is darkened by that original sin, but we didn’t lose God’s image.

Many of our hymns refer to a fallen nature - so we don’t teach against the need for regeneration for all.

"Not being separated from the bosom of the Father, O most sweet Jesus, and having lived on earth as a man, Thou wast taken up in glory today from the Mount of Olives. And having raised our fallen nature by Thy compassion, Thou didst seat it together with the Father.Wherefore, the heavenly orders of the bodiless were amazed at the wonder and stood in awe and astonishment. They were seized with trembling and magnified Thy love for mankind. With them we on earth also glorify Thy condescension toward us, and Thine Ascension from us, entreating and saying: O Thou Who by Thine Ascension didst fill with infinite joy Thy disciples and the Theotokos who bare Thee, by their prayers deem us also worthy of the joy of Thy chosen ones, for Thy great mercy's sake" (Doxasticon at Lord, I have cried...)."

God is gone up in jubilation, the Lord with the voice of the trumpet, to raise the fallen image of Adam, and to send the Comforting Spirit to sanctify our souls" (Doxasticon at the Vespers Aposticha).

"Thou didst raise up human nature which was fallen into corruption, O Christ, and in Thine Ascension Thou didst exalt us and glorify us together with Thyself" (4th troparion of Ode III of the Canon).

"The majesty of Him Who became poor in the flesh hath been manifestly taken up above the heavens; and our fallen nature hath been honored by sitting with the Father. Let us all make feast, and with one accord let us cry out with jubilation and clap our hands rejoicing" (8th troparion of the Ode IX of the Canon).

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We still have a fallen nature, but not in the sense of guilt or as defined by the Council of Trent or the more extreme points of Augustine. Our “nous” is darkened by that original sin, but we didn’t lose God’s image.

Many of our hymns refer to a fallen nature - so we don’t teach against the need for regeneration for all.

"Not being separated from the bosom of the Father, O most sweet Jesus, and having lived on earth as a man, Thou wast taken up in glory today from the Mount of Olives. And having raised our fallen nature by Thy compassion, Thou didst seat it together with the Father.Wherefore, the heavenly orders of the bodiless were amazed at the wonder and stood in awe and astonishment. They were seized with trembling and magnified Thy love for mankind. With them we on earth also glorify Thy condescension toward us, and Thine Ascension from us, entreating and saying: O Thou Who by Thine Ascension didst fill with infinite joy Thy disciples and the Theotokos who bare Thee, by their prayers deem us also worthy of the joy of Thy chosen ones, for Thy great mercy's sake" (Doxasticon at Lord, I have cried...)."

God is gone up in jubilation, the Lord with the voice of the trumpet, to raise the fallen image of Adam, and to send the Comforting Spirit to sanctify our souls" (Doxasticon at the Vespers Aposticha).

"Thou didst raise up human nature which was fallen into corruption, O Christ, and in Thine Ascension Thou didst exalt us and glorify us together with Thyself" (4th troparion of Ode III of the Canon).

"The majesty of Him Who became poor in the flesh hath been manifestly taken up above the heavens; and our fallen nature hath been honored by sitting with the Father. Let us all make feast, and with one accord let us cry out with jubilation and clap our hands rejoicing" (8th troparion of the Ode IX of the Canon).
The term Guilt as meant by Saint Augustine does not refer to personal fault, two words translate as guilt in Latin
Two phrases translate as guilt from Latin reatus poena which means liability to punishment without personal fault and reatus culpae which means personal fault. Reatus poena is what we receive from Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I already had this conversation with you on original sin on another thread. So please stop making claims.

I am not. you are neither in communion with Rome or us, you don't understand the history. stop causing problems please.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The term Guilt as meant by Saint Augustine does not refer to personal fault, two words translate as guilt in Latin
Two phrases translate as guilt from Latin reatus poena which means liability to punishment without personal fault and reatus culpae which means personal fault. Reatus poena is what we receive from Adam and Eve.

and neither of those are acceptable in Orthodoxy.

• Agree
Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never thought it meant personal sins or personal fault and never said that it meant that. The CCC is clear that it means guilt without personal fault. The Coucil of Trent is even more clear about the guilt / punishment while not having personal fault. None of those are acceptable in Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0